Oscars 2013 Aftermath, including Fashion Hits and Misses

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Sylvia, Feb 25, 2013.

1. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I wonder if Rachel Zoe still has a hand in styling Hathaway. If she had worn anyone of the dresses that Zoe picked out for her when she hosted the Oscars, she would've looked stunning.

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Yes, while I don't love all of them, any of them would have been better than the pink, pointy mess.

3. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

even the tux was cute

4. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter if Amanda Seyfried started working on that gown when she was on Veronica Mars. She wasn't the Oscar nominee, Anne Hathaway was, so Anne shouldn't have felt as though she should give up on her dress of choice. Why she did is indeed a mystery. The Valentino gown was prettier than the McQueen one and as I wrote before, I think it's a better match for Anne's coloring than Amanda. Surely in months of work someone should have noticed that she looks washed out in that color?

Also, I don't think a designer gown, even if not bespoke, qualifies as off the rack.

This is cuter than either of the dresses Hathaway wore on Oscar night, though obviously it would not have been appropriate then.

5. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Interestingly, here's another Prada dress worn by Anne only a few weeks earlier - seems to have gone over well, so maybe maybe no on thought the Oscar dress would be a problem.

Also Zemgirl sorry I see what you mean now - I thought you were implying that Amanda should have given up her dress for Anne.

6. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

It's really indicative of her insecurity that she changed.

I still like her, though.

Loved the blue dress Anne had on at after parties. I think there's a pic in the most recent People.

7. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Yes!

It's interesting how different circumstances dictate whether or not it's horrible to have the "same" dress or not. My daughter was in a performance where she was ordered to buy a black dress with white accents. She did and we showed up for the performance and one of her friends had on basically the same dress. They were over-the-top happy about it. "Look at us, we're twins!" they said all night.

But at some point, it turns into this horrible crime and the women involved are supposed to be oh-so embarrassed even if the dress is just similar and not the same at all.

And, godforbid, a woman wear the same dress to one of these events more than once! Which means if you find a dress you absolutely love, you can't just wear it everywhere until you are sick of it like the rest of us do. :(

8. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Celebrities walking the red carpet do have pressure to not wear the same outfit as each other. Ordinary people showing up at the same event wearing the same outfit aren't going to have their pictures appear in some rags or on the web the next day under the polling "Who wore it better? "

9. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I saw two guys who were wearing black tuxes. I was so embarrassed for them.

LynnW, OliviaPug, pollyanna and 9 others like this.
  10. MacMadame

I heard that beforehand they got into a big fight about it and each one tried to get the other to change but neither would back down. Those bitches! ;)

Also, those "who wore it better" bits usually involve actresses at different events. So just being sure your dress isn't like someone else's at that one event doesn't protect you from that.

11. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I know it's hard to empathize with actresses who are making millions off of movies and have a level of fame and fortune that most of us can only imagine. However, I think that the level of scrutiny and publicity that comes with all that makes them worry about things that would otherwise seem petty or ridiculous. However, that's the nature of the industry that they are in, and for many of the younger ones, they have to be very careful about how they present themselves and how they look because as stupid as it seems to care about such things, the public's perception and reaction towards such stupid things are even more ridiculous. Let's face it, actresses have a harder time than actors because nobody makes that big of a deal when an actor gets older but actresses have a much harder time getting roles as they age (no matter how talented) due to the misogny of Hollywood and what roles are written for them.

Not everyone can get away with being a Jennifer Lawrence, who has an easier time because she's still very young and fresh. Let's wait another five or so years and see if people start turning on her the way they have with Hathaway.

12. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I'll bet it won't even take that long. There's nothing the media loves more than turning around and tearing down the person they've just worked hard to build up.

13. MacMadame

It's not about not being able to empathize. It's about seeing that they have the power and they are throwing it away. There are certainly actresses out there who just pick out a dress and don't stress about it, who keep their personal life separate from their working life, and manage to avoid buying into the hype and stress.

I think it would be a hoot if a bunch of these women would all deliberately wear the same dress to some event and laugh about it while everyone else's head exploded.

In this particular case, the dresses were not even identical. But one of the parties was so hyped up about the issue that she rejected a perfectly nice dress and wore a monstrosity that made it look like we could see her nipples all to avoid looking even the appearance of wearing the same dress. To me, that's crazy!

14. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I thought it looked like a blue satin sack with sequins stuck to the neckline. It was sort of the polar opposite of the ugly pink dress, in that it also didn't fit her, but it didn't fit her in a whole different way.

15. VIETgrlTerifa

Obviously it is a big deal because people are giving her crap for making the "wrong" choice. It's easy to say she made a mistake in hindsight, but I'm sure she felt like she would've looked like a fool had she wore a similar looking dress. You say they have all this power and throwing it away. I don't see her throwing anything away. She just wore a dress that people are giving her crap for because they deemed it ugly compared to what she could have wore. No wonder she worried so much about it. Look at the reactions she's getting.

I personally don't see what the big deal is. She wanted to wear a special dress at the Oscars because for most actors, it is a huge deal to be nominated and be the favorite to win. Yes, it's pageantry and has nothing to do with the acting craft, but it's difficult not to get swept up in it considering the history of the Academy Awards and what a big deal it becomes (especially in the industry when you have Harvey Weinstein crafting up stories to ensure wins). I don't know where the line is drawn from being a serious actress to being a celebrity. Jessica Chastain is more successful in keeping her personal life separate from her professional life, even though people gave her a lot of flack for her Golden Globes dress. Luckily, she doesn't care. I guess due to her choices (in movies and I guess going out or something, I don't know) or popularity, Anne Hathaway is seen as a celebrity that paps pay attention to and people talk a lot about. Maybe she could do a better job in not caring so much, but hey, maybe she's the type that does. I don't know.

16. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I've never understood the Anne hate. She seems like a nice, if slightly awkward, person, and she's hella talented. Plus I feel like I've grown up with her. I was, like 13 or so when The Pricness Diaries came out and I read all the books after I saw it. And then her roles matured as I did :) It was nice seeing the Princess of Genovia win an Oscar ;)

I was hoping she'd won some grudging respect/street cred after she kicked total ass as Catwoman after all the naysayers bitched for months about her casting. And I think she did, for a bit, but clearly not enough, even after a second good performance in the otherwise-boring Les Miserables.

And I adored her heartfelt speech and appreciation of Sally Field at the GGs.

17. MacMadame

But if she didn't care, she wouldn't get as much crap. That's the way this stuff work.

And by not caring, it's not fun to pick on her so, if she makes a "mistake," she gets some flack, she shrugs, and it dies away.

There are actually plenty of actresses who don't seem to care that much about what gossip mags say about their clothes because they keep showing up in the most bizarre and sometimes even unflattering stuff and when someone interviews them and asks them why they picked it, they say something like "I love how I feel in this" and that's the end of it.

My advice to Anne is to emulate those actresses and not worry so much. She'll have more fun! :)

18. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Can you name a few? The only one I can think of that's relevant is Helena Bonham Carter, but no one would group her in the glamor girl-leading lady category. Plus she's married to Tim Burton, so it's expected that she'll show up at public events dressed like somebody's eccentric cooky Aunt. Actresses like Halle Berry, Reese, Penelope, Nicole, CZJ, Watts, etc. put very careful thought into what they'll wear at events like the Oscar. There's no way either will show up at an award show looking like another actress.

19. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I am finding so much of this absolutely hilarious. I read some little things here and there about people hating Hathaway but I figured it was just because of her "aww shucks, you like me!?!?!" attitude. I didn't realize this was all over a dress. :lol:

20. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I like Hathaway, and I think she is very talented. But, I fail to see the aw shucks aura about her. She grew up very near here, Millburn, NJ. My son has a friend who went to high school with her (though a few years behind her). He said she was nice enough, but had money and was a bit impressed with herself. Of course, my son's friend is from Short Hills (SH & Millburn share a HS) and is also a bit impressed with himself :lol:.

21. honey

honey Active Member

I think Anne is a good actress, but I've never been blown away by her in anything yet. She seems pleasant though, and this moment will forever make me :rofl:
    http://youtu.be/uKvQvWTZFWg

22. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

That is hilarious.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  23. VIETgrlTerifa

That was awesome.

24. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Another reason why the Prada was a bad idea......look at those wrinkles. :scream:

I would have stuck with the Valentino if I were Anne.

25. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

If nothing else it would have provided the Fashion Police the opportunity to do an Oscar edition of "B*itch Stole My Look!"

26. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Count me as another one that doesn't get all the Anne hate. I can understand being tired of her, at least in wanting to get this awards season over with, and her seeming desperation to get that Oscar, but name me one Hollywood starlet that wouldn't do the same thing if given the opportunity. I think it was Tom and Lorenzo that termed it "the Oscar pole-dance" and it's as good a definition as I've heard. I still like her a lot, I just need her to step away from the spotlight for a length of time.

Go on a long vacation, work on some independent projects, try for a baby (a baby always redeems you in the eyes of the "public" unless you're a Kardashian). Just don't be on everyone's tv acting desperate.

27. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I was looking at all the dresses/gowns worn at the most recent Oscars. The only one I could wear is the one worn by Sally Field. I am too small to even try on Melissa McCarthy's. I cannot imagine fitting into any of the others.

28. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

You know, for years I respected Jodie Foster for keeping her private life private, not confirming her sexual orientation and so on. I even respected her for standing by her friend Mel Gibson even if I think he is dbag nutcase.

And then came her speech at the Golden Globes and it was clear that she does really care and it's been driving her crazy all these years and she is now, in fact, somewhat obsessed with what is and isn't private. It's one thing to be a little needy and calculated, which is I think how Hathaway's been coming off, and another to tell the world you're desperately lonely.

What a terrible life those women have. I don't understand why anyone really wants to be them, not one bit.

29. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Eh, give me the $$$ they're raking in, and I'll gladly switch places with their "miserable" lives.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  30. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I'll take the $$$ but not the fame and the constant exposure.