Oscars 2013 Aftermath, including Fashion Hits and Misses

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Sylvia, Feb 25, 2013.

1. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Good video. Gotta agree with anderson Cooper, why all of the hate? I mean, there are probably people who don't like her for what ever reason, that's fine. But, all of this nastiness over the dress? And Valentino screwed up. They should never have put Amanda Seyfreid in almost the same dress that they sent Hathaway. As to her acceptance speech, she was in a no win situation. Yes, the "it came true" seemed a bit phony. But, had she gone up there and acted like it was expected, she'd have been hated on for being arrogant.

2. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

I personally like Anne Hathaway and think she is a solid actress. She won everything this year, but at the same time, she just couldn't win. Both she and Jennifer Lawrence are beautiful and talented, yet both can come across a bit awkward and geeky. The problem is that with Jennifer it comes across and is interpreted as genuine, spontaneous, and endearing, whereas Anne's same qualities come across to many and are interpreted as phony, calculated, and perhaps arrogant (which I don't think they are, and I don't think she is actually any of those things). I really don't think Jennifer worries too much about what people think of her and she just acts like herself, whereas Anne seems to worry way too much about the impression she's making and then overthinks and tries to act the way she thinks people want her too off-screen. She didn't help herself with the admissions of practicing her acceptance speech (hell, probably everyone does this, they just don't usually say so). People interpreted that as self-absorbed and then decided it made her speech even more phony. And why did she apologize to Valentino???? He should apologize to her, his biggest cheerleader, for not making a truly unique dress for her. And her stylist and the team who came up with that pink nightmare should be fired. That wasn't a "nipplegate;" darts in satin can be incredibly difficult to do well, and it frankly wasn't helped by the dress being worn by someone who's more than a bit flat-chested (and skinny post her Les Miz role). She didn't fill out the top well, and the whole dress looked off from the waist up.

Anne basically got run over by the spontaneous charm train that was JLaw, who unintentionally probably brought more focus to the supposed "flaws" the Hathahaters see in Anne. In the long run, it's a brief storm and it shouldn't affect Anne too much. She has a ton of talent, I just wish she could relax a bit more with her image.

3. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I agree; the designer should be more aware of what actress goes in what dress. Anne Hathaway has been criticized all season about her blathering acceptance speeches which I can sort of agree with. She is a very beautiful girl with a great body so it should be very easy to dress her but Prada really dropped the ball with that hideous dress that looked unfinished. I think the hatred should be directed at them and not her in particular.

As far as her expecting to win-I thought so to but upsets do happen. She probably was the winner and she knew it but it still has to be a shock to hear your name.

Good for Anderson Cooper (and many others) to stick up for her.

4. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

....People hate Anne Hathaway? And yeah, it's not like she MADE the dress herself.

I like her and JLaw both. Apparently I'm supposed to pick a team?

5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I agree that Valentino brought the situation on themselves by sending out two very similar dresses for consideration.
    As for the rest of the Jennifer Lawrence/Anne Hathaway "situation"; it's the difference between a 22 yr. old and a 30 yr. old.
    As one gets older you tend to "consider" what you say and do a bit more - and you should.

In most cases, it would be called "maturing".
    I'm not sure that's understood - or desired - in Hollywood.

6. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

No, no. You are supposed to day WHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY all the HHHHAAAAAAAAATTTTTTEEEEEE?

;)

As for Anne's dress, it was hideous. Are people who are snarking on the dresses and other things people wear to awards show not supposed to say so? You wear something horrible to an awards show that is of interest world-wide and people are going to give you a hard time.

7. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

A semi-related side-note: lots of actresses were flaunting flat chests this year. I applaud this as a fellow flat chester.

8. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

:respec:

O-

9. cruisin

:lol:

I have no issue with people saying the dress was ill fitting and rather awful. But, the criticism she is getting is from changing from the Valentino (who she absolutely has championed) to the Prada, the night before the Oscars. Well, Valentino sent almost the same dress to Seyfreid and Hathaway was not going to look like they were matching outfits. She had every right to switch from the Valentino, whoever picked the Prada was either drunk or blind.

10. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I think is happening too. I actually have a friend who possess a lot of Anne's mannerisms (gestures and way of speaking), and she's a genuinely sweet person, which is probably why I take Anne at face value. But it can come across as too try-hard. Still doesn't explain why some people think of her as if she ran over their dog...

11. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

That reminded me of Kate Winslet's "it's not a shampoo bottle now!" line - it seemed so calculated and phony. Winslet was another actress criticized for what some people perceived wanting the recognition she received a bit too much.

I liked Anne Hathaway in the past, and felt she was underrated at times, but I felt she felt victim to "must have an Oscar" syndrome, which doesn't do anyone any good. Of course actors want recognition, but when they are too obvious about seeking it, it doesn't go over well.

Valentino did screw up.

12. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Glad you brought up Winslet - boy did she change the year she won her Oscar. Suddenly no more irreverent, snarky Kate. She became Princess Kate of Academyland. Strange things can happen to people who want it so. very. badly. and finally they've reached their coronation year. They got carried away. I'm still a fan of Anne (and I liked her dress, too).

Spontaneity works for Jennifer Lawrence because she's still so new to the scene. She hasn't been waiting a decade-plus for her Oscar.

13. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Oh, to be able to "worry" about such things as whether or not my dress will be too similar to another starlet's! :lol:

Disliked Hathaway's dress, but she looked happy in it. I guess that's all that matters!

As for her perceived "fakeness" -- I get it because that's how she comes off to me as well. But, she is likeable in other ways. She seems really sharp and has a good sense of humor. Maybe she's just a bit self-conscious as others have suggested. In any event, I think she's a great actress and very pretty, if not as "attractive" as JLaw.

O-

14. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

valentino didnt make amanda's dress, it was mcqueen, so i dont see how that is valentino's fault
    and i didnt like anne hathaway due to her personality long before her nipples of doom dress

15. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

When Amanda Seyfried walked the carpet, she made a point of saying that her Alexander McQueen dress had been made especially for her, and that they had worked on it for months. Now we know why she said that - she knew that Anne Hathaway was either wearing a very similar dress, or would change at the last minute and she (Amanda) might get blamed.

This article has a picture of the Valentino dress Anne was supposed to wear - I can see why she changed it.

16. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

I don’t know. That Valentino dress is much prettier than her pinky dress IMO. I’d rather look stunning and similar to someone else rather than look unique and meh.

17. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

The Valentino was very pretty, but she made the right choice not to wear it.

I liked the dress she wore, but how did the designer NOT realize the effect the darts would have?

18. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I wonder how much of a scramble it was to pull in extra dresses at the last minute and all the adjustments to makeup, nails, shoes, bag and jewelry to go with the dress. A lot of people would have been with Anne on Sunday, and I wonder if they eventually just talked her into the Prada so they could get on with their work and get her out the door on time.

19. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

She should have worn the Valentino. Hathaway was the Oscar nominee, and I think she should have been able to wear her first choice rather than to concede to another actress, even if it was someone she's friendly with. Seyfried could have picked something else if she didn't want to be upstaged.

Not too mention, that dress would have looked better one someone with Hathaway's coloring. Seyfried looked washed out (and her hair was atrocious).

20. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Disagree completely. As noted before, Amanda's dress was custom made for her over a period of months. Why should she make a last minute change to something off the rack 24 hours before the event? It's Anne that had the problem with it, not Amanda, and Anne's choice to make the change. No one forced her.

21. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I have to wonder what Ann and her team thought when they look in the mirror once she had on the pink dress. The dress obviously didn't fit Ann correctly and the two pointy nodes on the front were distracting. Did no one saw that during the fitting? She could've have worn the dress she wore during the Les Mis number for the red carpet. That dress wasn't bad, and the darker color looked better on her.

22. cruisin

YOu know, I knew it was a McQueen dress, I forgot :shuffle:. I suppose it was really no one's fault. But, Valentino could have sent her another dress.

I actually didn't mind the pink dress so much. But the darts were too pointy and the fabric is just to unforgiving and stiff to have eased them in better.

Actually, it says a lot about Hathaway that she was willing to make the change and did not throw a hissy fit.

23. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

After reading a few reactions towards Anne "out there" and now "in here" all I have to say is "poor Anne."

24. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Given more than 3 hours to make final adjustments, they might have been able to round/taper the darts to better fit Anne.
    I like Anne; and don't blame her for changing what she intended to wear.

25. cruisin

It may be that Prada wanted the darts like that. The dress had a decidedly origami feel to it. And Prada can be very quirky/eccentric.

26. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Wow, the Valentino and the McQueen are almost identical. :eek:

27. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Ok, there has been way too big a deal being made about a stupid Oscar dress ... but more gossipy news regarding what went down.

28. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

29. cruisin

30. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

To be honest, even if she had worn the Valentino dress, people would've still bitched about how she looked and made fun of her on top of making fun of Seyfried and Hathaway for wearing the same dress. I guess it could've been a cute "mother and daughter" in-character thing, but I doubt Hathaway wanted to be thought up as a mother to Seyfried.