Oscars 2013 Aftermath, including Fashion Hits and Misses

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Sylvia, Feb 25, 2013.

1. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I think the same can be true of a few other winners, but are for some reason beloved by the masses (for now).

2. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Personally, I thought Cate Blanchett deserved Gwyneth's Oscar that year ... by a lot (and I really did like Gwyneth's performance in SIL).

O-

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

So did anyone else notice that the Academy managed to omit several people from the In Memoriam segment?

The left out Andy Griffith, Larry Hagman, Lupe Ontiveros, Robin Sachs, Sherman Hemsley, and Ann Rutherford (who portrayed Carren O'Hara in GWTW), just to name a few.

4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

They do omit every year, no? And usually say there are so many deserving names blah blah but we only have so much time blah blah...Although I think they could have easily cut out that Chicago number and added in all the recently deceased.

5. VIETgrlTerifa

I thought Fernanda Montenegro was better than the both of them. I also thought Elizabeth was a horrible movie and Queen Elizabeth has been played much better by other actresses. I thought what Paltrow did in SIL was way more enjoyable and more of a challenge then being dramatic in an over-the-top soapy mess, and I like Blanchett.

6. OliviaPug

Agree to disagree.

O-

7. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

ITA. I thought Cate Blanchett was dynamite in Elizabeth.

8. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

9. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I agree. But, then, I can't stand Paltrow. So, I don't see anything she does as being much good.

10. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

With Gwyneth though, talent isn't what is going to get her roles. And I don't think it's her charming personality either, although she seems to always have one A-lister besty to brag about. I think her connections will always give her enough clout that she can lobby hard for a role that really wants.

I think Hollywood is pretty forgiving for people they like. Angelina Jolie can go crazy after an Oscar win, steal another woman's husband, and have a few bombs along the way, and she's still gold as far as producers and directors are concerned. Contrast that with some would be it girls. Kate Bosworth basically has to call the paps on herself to get any attention since she pissed off a lot of people (being a huge b*tch on the set of some of her movies, trying to steal other people's husbands/boyfriends, including Gwyneths). And has anyone seen Megan Fox's career since being dropped from Transformers?

11. VIETgrlTerifa

Megan Fox seems to be on the verge of small comeback. She did some lame Judd Apatow film earlier. Now, I guess apologized to Michael Bay and he cast her in his upcoming Teenaged-Mutant Ninja Turtles reboot.

If you're hot and young enough, I think Hollywood forgives you as long as you still have potential to bring in the big bucks. That's all they really care about it.

12. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

The people that don't care about the "steal another woman's husband" business with Jolie are those that are smart enough to know that Brad Pitt wasn't kidnapped by her against his will. Every Hollywood A-lister has a few bombs in their resume; That's nothing new and not unexpected. Jolie is a respected actress and has demonstrated the ability to lead certain type of films to commercial and sometimes critical successes. It's no surprise that she's still in high demand.

paulac and (deleted member) like this.
  13. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

That would seem to be the thing, but probably, there are so many super hawt babes in Hollywood, unless you are also CRAZY THICK with charisma and talent, you really can’t risk pissing too many of the “right” people off. To paraphrase Bill Cosby, we’ll kick you out and make another one who looks just like you. Infamy might get you a TV movie of the week, but that is different than Oscar contending roles.

14. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

This sure helps them now that both their careers is tanking right ? :lol: Pitt and Jolie are a laughing stock for all Hollyweird :)
    She's done, her directing flick is a mess, she has an upcoming trial for stealing that script, and the Coen's deal isn't gonna help her one bit. He has looked bad for two years, looked bored too.
    Jolie is unwelcome in France, she's blacklisted in all places that would be "cool" for her, Chanel for example. She was supposed to land the Chanel commercial but Brad was chosen for it instead.
    I don't care about her, but I'd rather have a good actress than her. She bombs all the movies she's in because she's not a good actress. WeeWee Pitt ... what shall I say ? It was cool when he was 30, but at 50, he looks ... sad ;)

15. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Why is she blacklisted in France? Do tell! :)

16. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Really, Pitt was just nominated for an Oscar for Moneyball and has the epic 'World War Z' coming out in June which he also produced. Not sure where you are getting your info from.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  17. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

if brangelina are blacklisted, give me some of that

18. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

People like Andy Griffith although they have done some film are mostly known for television and are understandably left off the list and shown on the Emmys. You can't have everybody and some mistakes with omissions are bound to happen.

19. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Don't know. Guess it has to do with Vanessa Paradis !

20. OliviaPug

I'm a straight woman. I think Megan Fox is super hot. I would cast her ... despite her Bay tirade ... maybe even because of it. I mean, Michael Bay? Really?! He's such an a$$. I applaud Megan Fox for going up against such a powerful weenie.

O-

21. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

Brad Pitt is 50 ?? :scream: Where has time gone? I do think he looks awesome, would never have guessed his age if I didn't know it.

22. VIETgrlTerifa

But she ended up crawling back to him in order to be cast in his latest movie.

23. OliviaPug

Yep, sad.

O-

24. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Is that really how it went, though? His replacement Meghan didn't really catch on. I think he missed her as much as she misses him.

25. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Yes, maybe he is the one who went crawling back and she shrugged and said, oh okay, I'll be in your dumb ass turtle movie if you pay me enough.

;)

26. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

So, in today’s “Googling JLaw news,” :saint: what pops up now are invasive paparazzi pics of her chilling on a hotel balcony with a friend. Sans makeup and holding what’s described as a “suspiciously” rolled ciggie. Welcome to your new life, girl. This is why, as poor a starving artist as I am, I would never want THAT level of fame.

And as for smarmy Seth M. I’ve said elsewhere that I want to like him. We have a mutual interest in old pop music and the space program. I know someone who’s worked for him. And he’s not unattractive. But his humor is not just stuck at 12 y.o. boy level. Seeing him the other night, I thought, it’s like he’s channeling the Rat Pack, and not in a good way. (“Broads, amirite? And Jews. And Mexicans. And fat broads. Now here’s a Jerome Kern song.”)

27. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

There seemed to be more of a focus on behind-the-scenes people this year...

28. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're pulling the above "facts" out of your arse.

29. VIETgrlTerifa

I know 2-time Academy Award winner Ang Lee is seriously contemplating doing Cleopatra with Angelina Jolie on top of working with the Coen Brothers. I don't know how anyone who says an actress working with the Coens and Ang Lee isn't considered well-liked or respected. You know how many people would KILL to work with them? I think anyone who thinks Jolie and Pitt's career is dead is fooling themselves.

Also, if Jolie was truly blacklisted from Chanel, then why would she lose out a commercial to her significant other, Brad Pitt? Wouldn't he have refused?

30. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!