Oscars 2013 Aftermath, including Fashion Hits and Misses

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Sylvia, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Why can't the Oscars start at 8pm Eastern and end at 11pm, with less jokes and filler numbers, just do it, show us a few clips, perhaps interview the nominees and give out the awards. It was 8:30-12 midnight in my area, ridiculously late.

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Hey, we West Coasters get screwed enough with the Nationals and other skating events broadcast skategods know when. We can at least watch the Oscars at a decent hour. :drama:

Was Angelina's leg last year? That was the only memorable event IIRC.

We saw your leg. We saw your leg. At the Oscars show we saw, we saw your leg...

3. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Spareoom, ITA with your whole post! Forget the lame jokes, and budget time for the acceptance speeches.

By the time the next year rolls around, I usually can't remember most of the winners, let alone who hosted from the previous year. Probably like most people (even film buffs), I have to look it up. Altho' Seth may prove to be somewhat unforgettable, if for nothing else than his cheeky, self-aware Christopher Knight Brady Bunch vibe. Since Seth was lambasted pretty heavily right from the start when he announced the nominees in January with off-putting jokes that offended some observers, the Academy seemed to have decided to grin and bear it. No way Seth was gonna be ditched at the 11th hour, so all involved apparently ran with the 'so offensive, aren't I?' ;) ;) angle.

You should definitely catch Jennifer Lawrence in Winter's Bone. At this point, out of her three major roles, Winter's Bone is her best work, IMO.

http://www.wintersbonemovie.com/

Yep, Angelina started a new/ old trend with the thigh-high slit leg flashing.

4. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Totally agree; you need to see Winter's Bone. It's the grittiest role Jen has done and she does it well. You watch it, and you forget it's Jennifer Lawrence...her character is nothing like her; no quirky, funny side. Just a young girl with manner beyond her years.

5. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Thanks, will check it out.

6. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

That would be the Colombian marching powder barking. Her and Renee should talk.

7. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Kristen Stewart was definitely weird.

8. aftershocks

Yeah, I thought the entire film was well done. It was like a gritty slice of life, and it had a documentary feel. The actors were outstanding, especially Jennifer, and John Hawkes as Teardrop.

Jennifer was not even near to being JLaw when she made that film. She was a young unknown actress starring in an independent film that was well-made and happened to catch fire. Of course, the film and her performance ended up launching her high profile career. She received her first Best Actress nomination and lots of buzz.

In the full bio on her imdb profile JLaw is quoted (likely before Hunger Games):

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2225369/
    So far, JLaw seems to be handling the pandemonium. ;)

9. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

She almost didn't take THG because she was afraid of the fame. And then her mother told her that she was a hypocrite, because she'd always said she would only take movies with good scripts and good roles, and here was one with both that she was afraid of simply because of how big it was. And then she accepted the role :p

Winter's Bone is amazing. It really, really affected me. And then when she got the role of Katniss I was almost crying I was so happy they found someone I knew would do a good job :lol: Among her lesser known movies, I really, really loved The Burning Plain (which also stars Charlize Theron and Kim Basinger) and she's phenomenal in it. The Poker House is kind of a mess, really hard to watch, and features a pretty horrific rape scene, but again, she's really good in it. She was good in X-Men as well but I was kind of busy during that movie going :swoon: over Fassbender. She's barely in Like Crazy and was really, really wasted there IMO. Having unfortunately not seen SLP due to my time abroad, I will agree that of the movies I've seen - which is, I believe, all of them except The Beaver (I can't do Mel Gibson with a hand puppet for 2 hours, I mean really?), SLP and The House At The End Of The Street - Winter's Bone and The Burning Plain are her two best performances. I saw both of those on Netflix instant, so they should still be there.

10. Spareoom

I think she handles the pandemonium by ignoring it...I honestly don't think she considers herself to be "one of those stars". Even recently she was talking about how she forgets that she can't just go out to the grocery store or eat lunch at a cafe anymore, but only remembers when the paparazzi show up.

It will be interesting to see how the mantle of "Oscar winner" sits on her shoulders. I'm somewhat afraid that her carefree attitude and lack of filter between her brain and her mouth/actions will lead to some pretty embarrassing moments (and not in the cute, how adorable way but the, oh my goodness did you just really way), but she seems to be a pretty smart girl with a good network of family and friends around her. For the love of all that is good and holy, Jennifer, keep your cool and don't change!

To her credit, despite her lack of a filter she hasn't really done anything to hurt her reputation...sure, she says a lot of things that I'm sure she probably wouldn't say on second thought, but apart from maybe flipping the bird with her Oscar (and one article I read seemed to think that it was a bit of an accident and she was embarrassed afterwards), I can't think of anything. She's never mean-spirited, which is key...people can forget most mishaps if it's clear that your intentions were nothing but good. Plus, she's cute and funny. ;)

Sorry, this is why I should not be allowed to think out loud while I'm typing...I tend to go off on tangents that nobody cares about. ;) Carry on!

On a side note, I can't wait for the Catching Fire trailer that includes the placard: "Starring Academy Award winner Jennifer Lawrence..." ;) Take that, Twilight!

11. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

I suppose you're right. Can you imagine them playing Meryl Streep off with JAWS if she rambled during an acceptance speech? Heads would roll.

However, I must admit I thought it was appropiate when they played off the special effects winner for his rambling. I thought the guy was pretty rude in rattling off a boring laundry list of names, including what seemed to be his entire family, without offering the mic to his colleagues so they could have a chance to at least thank their loved ones.

12. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

For you Glamour Pusses.... a few beauty blogs have been dishing on the makeup the stars wore and some have the products used.

Here are few of my favorites.
    @ IceAlisa, Adele wore mostly Armani cosmetics and her makeup artist Michael Ashton used ARMANI MAESTRO FOUNDATION.:p
    I know the foundation didn't work out for you. I thought you'd get a kick of that :)

Adele's Look

Clarlize Theron
    Anne Hathaway -
    Olivia Munn
    Jennifer Lawrence
    Kerry Washington
    Jessica Chastain

Kelly Rowland

snoopy and (deleted member) like this.
  13. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I thought she was perfect as Katniss.

14. Spareoom

Meeeee too. I admit that when I read the Hunger Games for the first time I already knew that Jennifer might be cast so I had her face in my head, but still, I thought she was perfect. I thought she could have been directed a little better in the film (the entire direction of the film wasn't ALL that great, I thought...) but I have high hopes for Francis Lawrence who will be directing the other three movies. He seems to "get" Katniss from the book and the overarching themes, so I'm quite hopeful he will pull out an even better performance out of Jennifer. And especially since she'll be better acquainted with her character, and will have a lot more interaction with other actors in the film (she was alone a lot in THG), it should be very good. :)

15. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Thanks, topaz. Adele's make up looked great. Lol at the Maestro! Glad it works for her and Kerry Washington.

16. aftershocks

Wow, I just read on Seth MacFarlane's imdb full bio profile that he was booked on the infamous plane flight (one of the planes) that hit the World Trade Center in September 2001. He arrived too late to board the flight because his travel agent screwed up the departure time.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0532235/

A pretty close call, but I guess it was fated that he didn't board that flight. I guess it's enough to make anyone happy to be alive with a permanent smile plastered on their face and wacky humor that some find offensive. I guess everything is like icing on the cake after realizing you cheated death.

17. walei

walei Well-Known Member

He did ramble a bit but people are upset because he was addressing the very real financial problems the overall VFX industry is facing and got shark'd and muted.

18. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

That is most definitely key. As long as you're genuinely sincere, you can do all sorts of crazy things and people will still love you. :lol:

I'm acquainted with a bunch of artists, and all of them have been sporting a bright green square as their Facebook profile pic since the Oscars, for solidarity over Rhythm and Hues filing for bankruptcy even as they're winning all these awards.

19. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

What an awesome stroke of luck! He was meant to live. I am sure he feels grateful for every minute of the rest of his life- I would.

20. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see how JLaw matures as both a person and an actor. IOW as charming as she is now (lawd, how much time have I spent laughing at her interviews on YouTube the past couple weeks) you can't stay the wide-eyed, completely unfiltered kid forever.

In a recent AV Club post someone described her as an idiot savant of an actress. (If you don't know, she's had no formal training, reportedly doesn't really "study" her lines and, I think, her best takes in difficult scenes are usually the early ones.) So I'll be curious how that will translate into a continued wide range of roles.

This movie , shot last year, just after they did SLP, sounds like an intense acting challenge.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1247690/?ref_=sr_2

21. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

Since she grew up here, JLaw gets lots of local press. Here is an interesting article that appeared in the December 2010 issue of Louisville Magazine.

http://www.louisville.com/content/too-young-methods-louisvilles-academy-award-nominated-actress-jennifer-lawrence-movies

22. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

I think what will help her is the fact that she's set to star in two films that, regardless of the reviews, are certain to be big box office performer. Being in a blockbuster usually helps actors and actresses maintain enough of a profile that they can get a decent choice of scripts. Unless she starts turning into Lindsay Lohan, her acting career should be fine for a while.

As I said earlier, out of the young Hollywood set who made their mark in big franchises, the one whose career raises the biggest questions is Kristen Stewart. Twilight made her very rich, but Bella Swan is just such a horrible character and that, coupled with her public awkwardness, pretty much has most people convinced she cannot act. Some of her pre-Bella roles were quite good but, aside from her role as Joan Jett, she's been forgettable in her other recent non-Twilight acting. She might do well to go the Emma Watson route of choosing lower profile roles, either a small supporting one in an Oscar bait film or some indie films.

23. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I thought JLaw acted quite well in The Hunger Games. I went in skeptical of her, but ended up really liking her performance. Josh Hutcherson was the best actor of the bunch (not that Liam Hemsworth was given much to do). I got the feeling that in SLP, she was just playing an amped-up version of herself.

As for Kristen Stewart, I recently watched Snow White and the Huntsmen ... no, she is not a good actress.

24. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

One of JLaw’s biggest advantages is that there is very little competition. For a while there, we were getting movies with Angelina, Julia, Sandra, and Reese playing characters that were a little younger than they were, or doing there same roles over and over. And not that I am poo-poohing aging actresses in Hollywood, but I was looking for some fresh faces (in movies not geared towards 13 year olds a la Twilight). So yay, Jennifer (and Melissa McCarthy). Outside of them, there are not many interesting newer faces in mainstream movies.

25. talulabell

talulabell New Member

E! Online had both the flip-off pic and one supposedly taken moments later that would probably classify as the "embarrassed afterwards" shot.

The Bird

They just said that she offered it to someone in the room, then realized that the room was full of cameras. they dont really explain the context. does anyone know?

26. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

I would throw Emma Stone's name into the mix, although she might end up on the rom-com track since she seems to have more of the "goofy hot girl" vibe going on.

I get this feeling that Kristen Stewart could go either way. She might end up a very acclaimed actress by the time she reaches her thirties, or she could still be grimacing through some more teeny-bopper crap until she's aged out of it. She doesn't come across as the warmest person in the world, but I do find myself feeling sympathy for her for all the crap she seems to get.

On a different note, I made the mistake of watching Winter's Bone on the same night I saw Precious. Both excellent movies, but boy was I ready for a Police Academy movie after that. :lol:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  27. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

I think the big thing is she doesn't do anything to really piss off the powers that be. I know some like Mira Sorvino disappear after their oscar or some like Adrien Brody are relegated to doing movies with Lindsay Lohan. But then we have Ben Affleck who had quite the succession of stinkers in the early part of last decade but didn't have too hard a time getting back into fan and critics' good graces. Gwyneth has not really done anything special since her Oscar win but she has the connections to get a good role if she wants it.

I think with the two franchises coming up, her career should be good for the next couple of years. But she probably needs to make sure she doesn't start hanging out with Lohan and to remember to thank Harvey Weinstein for her next few award speeches to ensure she is a first choice for good roles.

28. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

But, she didn't deserve it and she is average at her at best.

29. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I loved Gwyneth in SIL. She just glowed in that movie.

30. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I thought Gwyneth was perfect for SIL also and deserved her Oscar. It's one of my favorites romantic movies/ chick flicks. She was also good in Talented Mr. Ripley.