Oscars 2013 Aftermath, including Fashion Hits and Misses

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Sylvia, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

She might work....

2. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

The most offensive thing about the opening was how long and dull it was. Get on with the show innit. :yawn:

3. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

Kathy Griffin or I riot. I want to make sure we have someone who will offend EVERYONE! :p

4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

What about Jennifer Lawrence next year? I think she would be fun.

5. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

That's actually not a bad idea. People and the media will praise her hosting no matter what the actual quality was (i.e. her performance in Silver Linings Playbook).

6. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

OH SNAP!!!! :rofl:

7. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Only if she learns not to wear a wedding dress.

8. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Wouldn't have been able to tell which Jennifer you were speaking of, if you hadn't mentioned "that tumble." There's Jennifer Garner Affleck (who I first thought you mean -- she was lovely in a beautiful shade of plum with back ruffles); Jennifer Lopez (don't know if she attended); Jennifer Aniston (gorgeous in a red dress) and now, Jennifer Lawrence, re big time Jens.

Re your above post #16, I already linked that article in my post #7. I think the writer makes good points, but sure Seth MF seems like a cheeky, easy-going lad in general who didn't mean any harm toward any of the women. And, yes, women in Hollywood as well as women in general are so used to being the butt of misogynist jokes like forever and historically, so yeah prudish, self-righteous female New Yorker reviewer. ;)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  9. aftershocks

Double post

10. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I thought the Boobie song was funny and took no offence at all. The actresses were part of it, and I thought that referencing Kate Winslet and all the movies she's gone topless in, was a good touch. She always seems to be taking it off and has said it does not bother her at all. I did not for a moment try to dig deeper and think about what roles they were playing in those movies. I just thought, yup, they all showed their boobies!!

I LOVED the Sound of Music reference. I just cracked up at that part and was surprpised that it didn't seem to get a funnier reaction.

I did think the opening was too long, but enjoyed the other known actors dancing and taking part.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. aftershocks

:lol: :respec:

:respec:

12. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Oh heck, just give it to Ryan Seacrest and and we can all move on to watch something else.

13. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

seth said his cat thought he did a good job. he just might be my soulmate.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. aftershocks

Seth MF might well have said to all the actresses: "Aside from Meryl Streep and Helen Mirren, and a couple of other Dames, all you ladies out there need to get Oscar while you're young, gorgeous and hot ... showing your boobies doesn't hurt either."

^^ Ah, but did you see (or maybe you did see) the hoarder skit Seth MF did with Jimmy Kimmel on Jimmy Kimmel Live after the late news? Both MK (albeit a poster of her) and Taylor Lautner were in it. :lol:

Too bad that skit wasn't on the Oscars instead of the feeble bit with Captain Kirk. The hoarder skit was good for a couple of slightly better than lame laughs, and an ugh :rolleyes: at the end. If nothing else, MK fans could've gotten all excited about an MK association with the Oscars, forget Michelle Obama. ;) Although, I would tend to agree with Jack Nicholson's surprising aside after the First Lady was introduced and finished speaking: "Nobody's gonna mess with that."

ITA. I think they should have cued up the Jaws music way before Captain Kirk's smirky shtick came into the picture.

As far as audience reactions, the camera showed a background view of the audience while Seth was mouthing off with Kirk. Few audience members in that background shot appeared all that amused, particularly not Helen Hunt. If anything, the few smiles appeared to be polite.

Speaking of Helen Hunt:

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/...unt-deserves-best-actress-oscar-the-sessions#

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  15. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

Yeah, you snooze and lose. Someone already put their version up on youtube.

I had forgotten about Billy Crudup. :p

Back to hosting suggestions, I think they offered the spot to Jimmy Fallon first. Not everyone's cup of tea, but he does walk the line between "hip" and accessible. Plus, he's really into musical numbers. Or they could keep it in house and go with Jimmy Kimmel, but I could see him offending a lot of people too.

She hosted SNL and wasn't all that great. She wasn't horrible, but she seemed really nervous and didn't really sell her material. She may be very good at quips, but that doesn't always translate to being a good host.

16. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Kate Winslet would have been p*ssing herself at that song.

Agree about the Sound of Music bit. That was funny.

17. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Jennifer Lawrence's hilarity comes mostly from being utterly irreverent and off-the-cuff (and awkward :lol:) when most actresses are expected to be polished. She's very naturally funny. I don't think she'd do scripted very well, though.

Neil Patrick Harris or Tina/Amy is good, though. I loved Hugh Jackman when he hosted the Oscars, personally. I would be interested to see Hugh partner it with Anne Hathaway, actually, because there was no way she could win with Franco as her partner and I think she was unfairly maligned for a situation that was totally out of her control. Franco couldn't have been less in interested in the proceedings, but she gave it her all.

18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Oh well. I've never seen Jennifer Lawrence in anything, not the Playbook, not The Hunger Games and not the SNL skit. My only exposure were the post-Oscar presser and the Jack Nicholson incident. She was super cute and unaffected. And yes, irreverent, love that.

19. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

My vote for host is Eddie Izzard -- everyone in the audience would have to wear Depends as they'd be pissing themselves laughing so much during the entire thing :rofl:.

20. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Yes Eddie

Or Stephen Fry.

21. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

The problem with J Law, IMO, is that she doesn't have much teleprompter ability. I saw her in person back when she was promoting Winter's Bone, and she had to read something off a teleprompter, but she kept stopping and giggling and apologizing for stumbling over her words. I think some basic teleprompter training would make her a much better SNL/Oscars/general host.

Although, I must say, I wish she'd been a little classier and not flipped off the photographers after winning her award. :shuffle:

I laughed at Seth MacFarlane's jokes because I thought they were funny. The MAJORITY of the nudity he cited in that song was gratuitous, TBTH. Were there rape scenes in there? Yes, but that had little to do with the point of the song--the idea was, "what's the most offensive thing he could possibly do?" I think we have the answer.

Also, I thought his Ted routine (the Jewish one) was hysterically funny. My big Jewish family and I were laughing so hard. On that one, we were laughing because we're LA people and it's so true--entertainment is full of Jews, and we thought it was clever!

It's just annoying because there's literally no joke anyone can make anymore. A Jewish joke offends the ADL; an African-American joke offends the NAACP; a "misogynistic" (and I'm putting that in quotes because I really think people missed the point here) joke gets feminists up in arms; there is NO acceptable joke.

At least no one can be offended that he excluded their minority.

ETA: I do consider myself a feminist. But I'm also a very young feminist in an era when stuff like this comes out, and I'm willing to bet that Seth MacFarlane was not thinking along the same lines as these a*******.

22. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

That I actually didn't mind too much. She really doesn't take herself seriously, so it meant nothing. :p

Seth McFarlane has more intelligence in his pinky nail than that guy has in his entire frat. :p

23. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a matter of not being able to make jokes about anything at all any more because somebody will get offended.

There are boundaries of good taste, sure, and some people make their living by pushing those boundaries, and at some point offense will occur. But there's a difference between being offensive by pushing the limits, and being offensive by joking about things that just aren't funny. And jokes about assault or abuse are not OK.

Seth MacFarlane's boobies song was stupid, but it could have been just as stupid without including the names of actresses who were showing their boobies because their character was being raped. The joke that used Rihanna and Chris Brown as the punchline was stupid too, but it also could have been stupid without including that particular punchline.

IMHO Ricky Gervais is a good example of someone who pushes the boundaries by saying "oh no he DIDN'T" type things, but his comments are generally witty and aren't based on things that just should not be joked about.

24. walei

walei Well-Known Member

:respec:

I LOVE Jennifer Lawrence but I don't think she would be a good host for the Oscars. She said herself in an interview that she is terrified at speaking in front of a crowd not to mention the billions around the world looking at her live.

Kathy Griffin would be disastrously hilarious but she's still not that mainstream in the entertainment industry yet to get the gig. Regardless I don't think Oscar hosts should follow a cookie cutter style that's proven to be popular like Billy Crystal's tenure in the 90s and whoever they chose should bring their own way of relevance to the show. Even Billy Crystal himself was criticized to be stale when he hosted again a few years ago.

25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

My husband and I :lol: at the Ted/Wahlberg Jewish jokes. And it's not up to some self-important idiot at the New Yorker to tell me what is and isn't anti-Semitic. It was hysterical and rather close to the truth as Jews are over-represented in Hollywood.

26. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Uh, guys, Billy Crystal hosted the Oscars last year. And was apparently forgettable enough that no one remembers that :shuffle:

27. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Not me, I'm still having nightmares about his plastic face.

28. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I didn't watch the Oscars last year.

29. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I think the Academy itself is going through some growing pains right now and isn't really sure what it *is* at the moment. If you make the show nice and safe and are heavy on the pomp and circumstance (i.e. play up the dignity and glitz) then people call it boring, but if you start hiring comedians to host the show, it's going to be on the irreverent side and you CAN'T get up in arms when not all jokes are funny to everyone.

The Golden Globes work because they KNOW they're not about the glamor and glitz so nobody gets REALLY offended over the jokes. I mean, Ricky Gervais ruffled feathers but they BROUGHT HIM BACK after that. If that's not taking yourself too seriously, I don't know what is.

So far the most recent host that I've liked the most was Hugh Jackman. Funny and disarming, but still brought a sense of importance and "history" to the show, if you know what I mean. It's awesome when you make people laugh and make the show enjoyable, but I'm not a big fan with playing people off to Jaws. Like it or not, it IS the Oscars and it's a really, really big moment for a lot of people, and they take it seriously. Joke all you like during the intros, but once it comes to the actual winners, let them have their moment and not make it all about your clever joke.

Speaking of, when WILL the Academy ever learn to actually budget in time for acceptance speeches?!? We all know it's not "good TV" to listen to people ramble on and on, but it IS an awards show and there ARE people to be thanked. Budget time on the generous side and if the show starts going undertime towards the end (gasp), then have some fluff pieces and stuff that you can throw in to pad the time. It will help separate the gap between the "big" awards but if you're right on time with the show, you can cut it and nobody has to be rushed at the end. Poor George Clooney. ;) And then you don't have to make Kirsten Chenowith sing over the credits, either!

Seriously though, it's the Oscars; budget time for speeches and get things moving early. If they'd just gotten the show going a bit sooner and saved a lot of Seth's intro material for later, they could have cut half of it easily and nobody would have noticed or cared. :p ;)

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  30. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

John Travolta's "hair" looks very odd.

I enjoyed the numbers performed by CZJ, Jen Hudson, and the Les Mis cast (minus Crowe and HBC, who looked kinda lost). Streisand was great - like butuh, although it was kind of sad to notice that her voice isn't what it once was anymore.

I can't believe how much of a sour-puss Kristen Stewart came across on the show. She was off putting.