Oscars 2013 Aftermath, including Fashion Hits and Misses

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Sylvia, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

2. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

3. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I've watched part of the Oscars for the first time in years. And it is the first me I have seen and cared about any of the movies nominated for best picture.

4. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

My choices for best dressed: Jessica Chastain and Charlize Theron.

5. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

I got the feeling that a lot more of the nominated movies were seen and liked by more people than last year. I think that would cause the ratings to be higher more than what who is hosting it.

That being said, I thought that MacFarlane did an okay job of hosting last night but he had the potential to do a lot better.

I felt that DDL's acceptance speech was one of the best at the Oscars I have ever seen. Affleck's acceptance speech was great too.

I find this absolutely awesome: Bradley Cooper Joins Effort to Find 'Silver Lining' in Mental Health Future.

6. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I thought they were both gorgeous, but Theron was breathtaking!

7. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Commenting on a post from the original thread:

Yes, KStew didn't seem exactly with it or in good spirits, but she showed up. Are she and RPatz still hooked up, or was their reported truce just a pr stunt for Twilight press junkets, and they've now called it quits for good? The whole extracurricular Huntsmen brouhaha did not help her image at all, which could impact her career opportunities.

I thought Anne's outfit for the Golden Globes was gorgeous. I didn't see her SAG awards outfit. But what she wore last evening was a miss/ mess. She should have gone for a different color altogether rather than a repeat of white -- her Oscar dress couldn't hold a candle to the GG beauty. It seems as if by the time Oscars roll around, the nominees are worn out and the hopeful favorites are almost a bit desperate, judging by the demeanor of Chastain and Hathaway. Also, even JLaw showed nerves as she stumbled to the podium to grab Oscar. I think Sally Field knew the writing was on the wall. Why else would she have agreed to appear in that silly skit with clueless Seth MF? But, at least that skit wasn't as lame as most of the other crap Seth MF came up with.

When Anne Hathaway gushed over Sally Field at the Golden Globes, it seemed sincere on one level but also kind of politically correct and over-eager, as if, "Yes you've passed the baton to me and I should win the big one too!" I don't think there was any question that Anne was going to win the Oscar -- she needn't have worried. Although until names are called, I suppose all nominees squirm in their seats. In recent years (or probably forever), it seems that Oscar loves the nubile young talented female thespians the most, aside from Helen Mirren and Meryl Streep, of course. ;)

When Anne's name was finally called, perhaps Sally was thinking, "Okay, so you really don't like me after all." :slinkaway

This review of awards night paints Seth MF as a misogynist dweeb:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blo...and-the-oscars-hostile-ugly-sexist-night.html

I tend to agree with the reviewer, although Seth MF was good in that funny television commercial in which he performs different voices. Perhaps that exposure led to his television shows--I don't know the trajectory of his career. Certainly a little bit of success can go to a person's head. Seth does have that 'Christopher Knight-Brady vibe' re his looks, as someone mentioned in the other thread.

Overall a flat, overly long show that was generally unsurprising and uninspiring.

The best acceptance speeches were by Christoph Waltz; Daniel Day Lewis (best actor Lincoln); William Goldenberg (film-editing Argo); Claudio Miranda (best cinematography Life of Pi); Quentin Tarantino (best original screenplay);and Chris Terrio (best adapted screenplay Argo -- although I thought Tony Kushner should have won for Lincoln). Ang Lee started out with a good speech (best director Life of Pi), but he ended up missing the boat. :p

Halle Berry looked great as always (despite going through a rough custody battle in her private life). Shirley Bassey was magnificent -- her performance was perhaps the best highlight of the night! Best presenters were Dustin Hoffman and Charlize Theron. Boy, all that male testosterone with The Avengers cast as presenters!

8. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I thought all the ladies did well in that there wasn't any dress that I absolutely loathed (well, Sally's was kind of sad and Anne's had unfortunate seams). But no loathing. Of course, on the flip-side there wasn't any dress that I LOVED, which is probably a result of most of the women opting for tried and true colors and styles. But Reese had a gorgeous color, and I thought Jennifer was beyond stunning. It was such a pretty shade and ironically I didn't realize that it had pink in it until she took that tumble and gave us a great view of the back of her dress! :lol:

Anyhow, this is a rare year in which I saw a majority of the films that won awards, including Best Picture and 3/4 of the acting winning films. Les Mis, Lincoln, Argo and SLP were all fantastic movies and I was so happy to see them win awards!

Although, it's a sad, sad day when Weta Workshops and Peter Jackson doesn't win ANY Oscars, lol. It had the unfortunate privilege of competing against Life of Pi which was not only critically acclaimed, but technically brilliant. Of course it won all the technie stuff!

9. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

10. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

11. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Ita!!

12. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I can't get over how hideous Kristen Stewart looked.

13. my little pony

my grandmother called to say "that boy" (seth) was the best part

i had no idea what ben said. i know i watched it. but i dont remember any of it.

14. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

I thought sweet & awkward. Like a guy who put his foot in his mouth and then just kept digging himself a hole.

And the whole thing with Seth is that I think people were just waiting to be offended and cherry-picked the comments that fit their particular narrative. Even the jokes that were on the harsher side were no worse content wise than what you'd hear on Leno (except they were actually funny ;P).

Tina and Amy were awesome, but the Globes are a different animal than the Oscars. They kind of pride themselves as being the Oscars' boozy, irreverent cousin, so jokes about James Cameron torturing his ex-wife or starving yourself to get into a dress would work there, but would probably not go over as well with the Academy. They either would have had to water down their act to avoid criticism, or they would have been raked over the coals as well.

Anyway, it increasingly seems like a gig that no host or comedian is his/her right mind would ever want to do. Maybe they'll ask Leno next year.:p

15. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

It would be so sad if these two young heterosexuals cannot make love work. :(

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

This New Yorker article is fireworks of self-righteousness and prudery. :scream:

mlp, Ben said something about Jennifer not being Iran and thanked her for 10 Christmases of working on their marriage.

And your grandmother rocks.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Chastain's dress was made out of a hideous fabric and made her look really blocky. Theron's dress looked like she took a top and a skirt, which didn't match whatsoever, and sew them together. I like the shape and the construction of the top but the bottom looked like a shapeless rag.

Jane Fonda totally kicked ass. Her outfit was bright, fun and made a statement and at the same time it was really appropriate for her age and very well cut. Osbourne's dress was original and lovely, Hayek looked stunning but pretty much everybody else was sad sad sad.

Hathaway in particular, what was she thinking...

:rolleyes:

You are a sad victim of internalised self-hatred if you think that what happened during the Oscars was anywhere near remotely acceptable.

Self-righteousness and prudery have absolutely nothing to do with feeling revulsion at an incessant display of sexism. The fact such 'jokes' are socially acceptable and keep getting perpetuated helps to ensure women never get treated seriously and equally.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  18. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Yes, the memorial piece was a bit light on big names who passed away last year.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...departed-stars-gives-veteran-actors-snub.html

ETA: Stealing from GGMB, but there's an entertainment reporter who posts there and she shared this:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  19. my little pony

that's a shame so many were cut from the memorial. but they needed all that time for close ups of barbra when she sang.

20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

The irony of this from you is richer than the Weinstein brothers.

21. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Is no one watching Joan Rivers Parade of Dirty One-Liners and the Useless Brigade? :drama: Maybe Osborne can be taught--she and Kiebler were the dress standouts of the night. It's very sad when people who are currently on E! and the person who would be lucky to be on E! someday.

Though I did genuinely laugh out loud when she said Halle Berry looked like an art deco vibrator, cause she totally did. Other than that, the after-Oscars show is kind of flat because the dresses were flat. They're really going for the lowest common denominator with the lines, but the starlets didn't give them much material to work with.

22. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I am! I had it recorded. I was anticipating it to be a bit boring because there weren't too many out and out trainwrecks and a lot of dresses were just dishwater blah.

23. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

I'm surprised Alexandre Desplat has yet to win an Oscar. It seems like he's always nominated and is always scoring a Best Picture nominee. That said, I absolutely love Mychael Danna and his soundtracks for Exotica and Kama Sutra Tale of Love are among my 2 all-time faves.

24. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I have his River Waltz on my SD card. I think we will see an Oscar for him in the future.

Watching Fashion Police--agreed with all of Nina Garcia's fashion opinions.

25. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I think a lot of it has to do with the movies that are nominated and not so much who the host is. It looks like Titanic brought in a lot of viewers by the looks of it. 1994 was a HUGE movie year.

I thought Seth did a great job. I didn't enjoy all the musical numbers (like it was the Grammys or something) but I did like the cast of LesMis and most of the presenters were really bad.

I think most of the winners were very predictable.

26. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

I didn't get to see any of the Oscars (or ready any of the Oscars thread :shuffle:) but I really like Jennifer Lawrence's dress.

I'm not too wild about the dress but Catherine Zeta-Jones looks great in it.

Octavia Spencer is gorgeous.

Quvenzhane Wallis is adorable. :)

Jessica Chastain looks like she had VPLs.

I think most of the women I've seen look really nice, actually. I'm a little surprised. :lol: Meryl Streep looked like she was wearing a tin-foil hat over her entire body, though. And Amy Adams. :yikes:

I don't know who Alexandre Desplat is but I really wish there was a figure skater with that name. :shuffle:

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  27. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I would like Jennifer Lawrence's dress more if the blush color were more pronounced--it just looked white and bridal on my screen. Also, if the skirt were not so monstrous that she couldn't walk in it. But overall, she looked very pretty.

Alexandre Desplat is one of the hottest composers in Hollywood. He is French, non? He did the last Harry Potter and this really good movie with Naomi Watts and Edward Norton based on a Somerset Maugham novel, The Painted Veil. Here's a a waltz from that movie.

28. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

I absolutely loved Octavia Spencer's dress. It's rare to find a plus size dress that is flattering in the upper arm/sleeve area (I know this all too well), and so I thought this was perfect and very, very beautiful. She looked amazing. I also have love for Amy Adams' dress.

29. walei

walei Well-Known Member

The World was waiting to get offended when the Academy announced Seth as the host. I actually thought the whole thing with Captain Kirk was meta and clever. It's like Seth knew people are ready to throw stones at him so here is the over the top offensive number you've all been waiting for. The stars were clearly in on the boobies number and I can't believe there are actually people using the reaction shots to claim failure on Seth's part. I like Seth's self-aware humour but I do agree that some of the jokes weren't effective because of his delivery.

Also for Tina Fey / Amy Poehler, not to take away their credits because that GG opening was epic and hilarious, they really didn't 'host' much except for a couple of brief interludes and said farewell. Almost all of the presenters at the Globes were introduced by the announcer and the Oscars is a whole other beast.

So.. #teamseth ;)

30. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

I was just perusing the TWoP Best/Worst Fashions photo gallery since I missed Joan River's show, and finally got a look at Melissa McCarthy's um, dress (and I use that erm loosely).

Whoever told her that emulating Ursula from Little Mermaid (from the dress to that :yikes: rat's nest of a hair-don't) was a good idea should be put before a firing squad :scream:. Absolutely dreadful....