Oscars 2011 - aftermath

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by MINAM, Feb 28, 2011.

1. MINAM

MINAM The "NICE" Admin Staff Member

Carry on.

dbell1 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Most of it sucked IMO.

Loved Kirk Douglas. Loved Colin Firth (adorable!) Loved Christian Bale (always so weird to hear his normal accent), Loved the afro dude, and loved the autotune musical montage. Other than that, it was pretty meh.

3. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Right? I can't believe it actually generated a second thread. Someone should calculate what percentage of the posts were simply to complain about how boring or awful it was.

4. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Actually I wrote that it was a pretty good show. Very few negatives.

I couldn't believe how old Kirk Douglas looked. How old is he now? I had not seen him in a movie in many years.

I really liked the dresses.gowns this year. Nicely decorated, covered most of the bodies (not falling off).

5. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I don't believe there will ever be an Oscar ceremony where people don't complain how much it sucked.

To me, the ceremony itself is pretty secondary to the actual giving of the awards.

One complaint (among some that I had) was that during the Best Picture presentation, I thought it was pretty obviously biased towards The King's Speech. Yeah, it was a montage of all the nominated films, but it was Firth's voice that dominated it. Way to show favoritism.

Also, please hire comedians and only comedians for future Oscar telecasts (and let them be themselves. I understand the need for some editing and toning down but please don't heavily edit or tone them down).

6. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

He just turned 94 :wideeyes: (dob is December 9, 1916)

7. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Kirk is 94 and IMO looks pretty good for his age, especially considering he had a stroke in the 90s.

My favourite dress of the night was Jennifer Lawrence's simple red Calvin Klein. I thought it was so pretty, and something I'd actually wear. I also thought Natalie Portman finally dressed decently this awards show circuit. And though I didn't exactly love the dress itself (and didn't exactly hate it), I kind of have a fondness for Cate Blanchett's unusual dress. I thought Celine Dion looked absolutely gorgeous in both her red carpet and performance dresses (and I'm someone who completely dislikes Celine). Hard to believe she just had twins!

Guys have it so easy at awards shows. They could wear the exact same suit every show for 5 years and nobody would notice. Damn men. You know it's an issue when Randy Newman is wearing the most exciting suit.

And what was with the Hugh Jackman lovefest at the show? How many references were made to him? Seriously!

And next year can we please have Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law host? Their bromantic banter is hilarious, and seems to flow much more naturally than Anne and James.

Anne seemed like such an overachiever tonight - she tried so hard (and reminded me of Annie from Community), and I'm pretty sure James was either smoking up or drinking hard liquor every time he was off camera.

Oh, and can I just say, I want to look like Helen Mirren. Not just when I'm in my mid 60s, but now please. She is just freaking hot!

8. MINAM

MINAM The "NICE" Admin Staff Member

Yahoo article had me PML when it said "Kirk Douglas looked better than Charlie Sheen."

9. phoenixflamezzz

phoenixflamezzz New Member

The only win I'm irked about is Hooper winning Best Director. Blah to the Blah. Worst directing win since Ron Howard's.

10. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I only remember two references to him. First, there was Anne Hathaway's song. Supposedly, the show had planned something as a bit of role-reversal of the number they did when Hugh hosted and dragged Anne on-stage to sing. But Hugh bailed on the number.

The second was Kirk Douglas' bit about Australians and Brits. I gather Russell Crowe was not there, so they had to choose between Jackman and Nicole Kidman as the available Australians to mock. Given the choice, I can see why Kirk Douglas chose Jackman.

11. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  12. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

TWOP is great for snark.

A big rack hides a multitude of sins :shuffle:.

13. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

I finally figured it out -- Cate Blanchett's dress looks like one of those circular canvasses on Bob Ross' Joy of Painting Show :scream: .

immoimeme and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Auntie

Auntie New Member

The writing for the hosts was completely :blah: . I adore Anne Hathaway but she just doesn't have the gravitas to anchor such a big show.

My daughter suggested that Franco might have high functioning aspergers. That would explain how he can run around getting degrees every where AND appear so socially awkward and disconnected. Add a big dose of weed to that and you've got :yikes:.

15. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

The Toronto Sun is pretty harsh, but truthful...

In retrospect, Leo did act a bit of a fool, but she's not the only one who ever did.
    Anne did the best that she could with uneven material.

16. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Anne seemed very comfortable and charismatic on stage, even when her material sucked. She gave it her all and I can admire that. She did like 95% of the work hosting.

I can't remember a single thing Franco did last night except look stoned.

17. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Anne H giggles worse than a little school girl...

18. emason

emason Well-Known Member

The win I'm irked about is The Lost Thing winning best animated short. I saw all the animated shorts last week, and Madagascar was wuzrobbed big time.

19. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Ooooh, I cannot wait for Fashion Police with Joan Rivers tonight.

20. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Next morning sleep deprived musings: I thought Leo was charming in her speech, but grabbing Kirk's cane and hobbling offstage with it was quite odd.

Not sure who in the last thread compared Hathaway to a cheerleader holding up 'applause' signs behind a zombie Franco, but it was so accurate. :lol:

Eden and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

What would the Oscars be without snark? :) I was over here all night, having a blast.

HURRAY for The King's Speech!! :respec: Some people scared the daylights out of me when TSN won best editing, with a lot of "Best Editing probably means Best Picture" talk. I don't think I breathed again until Hooper won. That had to mean TKS had it in the bag, editing or no editing. :cheer2:

22. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Oh hells yeah. I have a feeling Joan is going to be in fine form tonight. She definitely has plenty of material (and feathers, and sequins, and lace, and jewels :p ) with which to work :EVILLE: :rofl:.

If only she could ditch Rancid and George Snuffalufagus or whatever the fcuk his name is.

Speaking of, I cannot for the life of me understand how and why E! hired Giuliana Rancid (for one of the highest profile positions on that channel :scream: - she either is a relative of TPTB at E! or has some damning photos stashed in a safe somewhere. Ms. Rancid isn't particularly charming or endearing, is incapable of coming up with an original thought, lacks a sense of humor or wit. Then there's the :rolleyes: tootsie-pop head/body, the stringy, skanky hair extensions, the fried turkey shade of fake bake, and atrocious fashion choices :scream: :yikes:.

23. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:lol: @ rancid.
    She should NEVER wear her hair in a ponytail/bun. Anything that emphasizes her egg-shaped fivehead should be banned and her stylists waterboarded. I don't mind her comments on celebs so much, but she should remember that she don't always look so hot. I wish they'd bring back Philip Bloch - he knows his shit and he's funny.

24. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Local TV morning show picked Cate Blanchett, Nicole Kidman, Amy Adams, Melissa Leo, Marissa Tomei, and HBC as Worst-Dressed.

Best dressed are Mila Kunis, Jennifer Hudson, Halle Berry, Gwyneth Paltrow, Anne Hathaway (orange/red dress from red carpet).

25. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Egg-shaped five-head :rofl: - eys, that thing doesn't do her piranha-like jawline any favors :yikes: .

In total agreement about Philip Bloch - he has a fabulous eye for style and a wonderful sense of snark to him.

26. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I'll agree with the best-dressed save for Gwynnie.
    Philip is still a very in-demand stylist. He worked well with Joan. So did that older guy, Leon whatshisname....George is all right, but not a lot of personality.

27. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  28. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Me too!

Cyn, I don't know why they got rid of Jay Manuel (from ANTM), he was really good. I think he'd be a perfect counter for Rivers snark.

I agree about best director. Thought that should have gone to Social Network or Black Swan. But, those were the only nominated movies I saw, so maybe I'm biased.

Natalie Portman was just spectacular and deserved the win. Not having seen The King's Speech, I can't really comment, but I am guessing Colin Firth was amazing.

As for the show. James Franco seemed like he was just there. He did nothing, looked stoned, and it had to be a really tough job for Anne Hathaway to carry them both, with crap material. I actually think she could have pulled off a co-host with Hugh Jackman or someone else with experience and charisma.

Maybe they'll bring Billy Crystal back.

I thought the Kirk Douglas thing was awful. It was so uncomfortable. The man is a legend, why did they make him look like a senile old fool? He should be remembered with dignity, not like that.

Gweneth Paltrow singing with Jennifer Hudson on the stage! Is it me, or is there something really wrong with that. Paltrow - you can't sing! The next country singing star - gag!

29. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

clearly, she has pictures of someone important at a donkey show in tijuana

she has no redeeming qualities

30. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Not sure if everyone realizes it, but the F-bomb was only censored in the US. The rest of the world (including Canada) go it loud and clear. :lol: