Oscar Robbery: On which year was Meryl Streep most robbed?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Beefcake, Feb 3, 2012.

Which of these Oscars should've been Meryl Streep's?

Poll closed Feb 24, 2012.
  1. 2010-Julia & Julia (S. Bullock, The Blind Side)

40.3%
  2. 2009-Doubt (K. Winslet, The Reader)

6.9%
  3. 2003-(supporting)-Adaptation (C. Zeta-Jones, Chicago)

19.4%
  4. 1999-One True Thing (G. Paltrow, Shakespeare in Love) (also nom: C. Blanchett, Elizabeth)

11.1%
  5. 1991-Postcards from the Edge (K. Bates, Misery)

1.4%
  6. 1988-Ironweed (Cher, Moonstruck)

4.2%
  7. 1986-Out of Africa (G. Page, The Trip to Bountiful)

27.8%
  8. 1984-Silkwood (S. MacLaine, Terms of Endearment)

6.9%
  9. 1982-French Lt's Woman (K. Hepburn, On Golden Pond) (also nom: M. Mason, Only When I Laugh)

13.9%
  10. 1979-(supporting)-The Deer Hunter (M. Smith, California Suite)

6.9%
  11. Other (please comment) (see list below)

8.3%
  12. Never! Each winner, or someone else, deserved her win over Meryl

8.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I don't know if she lost more than Meryl, but I believe Deborah Kerr holds the record for woman with most nominations and NO win. (Man who holds that record is Richard Burton IIRC.)

PS I'd give it to MS for Julie and Julia; I thought she was phenomenal in that.

2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I don't think Gwyneth Paltrow should have won for Shakespeare in Love, but I don't think Streep should have won that year either. I think Streep has won when she has been truly phenomenal, and in other years she seems to have been nominated just because she is Streep.

3. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Without commenting on what Meryl should have won, I just want to say what a wonderful actress she is.

In Australia we were very impressed with Meryl's Aussie accent in Evil Angels (or Cry in the Dark as it was publicised in the US). It is a really hard accent for anyone not Australian to get. The only ones who I think have done it well were Meryl and Robert Downey Jnr.

4. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Close was so good in Liaisons. One of my favorite films ... well, except for John Malkovich. Who won the Oscar that year?

5. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

It was Jodie Foster for the Accused. There was also Streep, Sigourney Weaver-Gorillas in the Mist, Melanie Griffith-Working Girl and Close.

6. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Not sure if this applies, but interestingly, I could have totally seen a 2002 combo Streep nomination for "Adaptation" supporting and "The Hours" lead, but I guess they figured to push their efforts towards "Adaptation" supporting and give the supporting nod for "The Hours" to Julianne Moore and the lead to Nicole Kidman instead...

7. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I agree. Streep's performance in The Hours certainly deserved a nomination that year, whereas Kidman's did not. Julianne Moore was robbed of the win in lead actress that year for Far From Heaven.

8. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Kidman won because of a damn fake nose. Seriously, I am convinced that she won because she "transformed" into Virginia Wolfe except that the majority of the transformation was a prosthetic nose. Streep was amazing in her scenes, especially with her ex who was dying of AIDS. The Hours is my favorite movie of all time, I have seen it countless times. People think it is horribly boring (and I actually see why they would think so) but it just pulls me in, the dialogue is just perfect.

9. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i thought she won because tom cruise left her

which seems like enough of a prize on its own

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

:rofl:

11. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I need to watch The Hours again because I remember it being wooden and pretentious. I do think I was coming off an anti-Kidman thing though which is funny because I seriously like her now thanks to Dogville (which I didn't think was all that), Fur, and Rabbit Hole. I think I'm almost a fan.

12. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I'm in the same boat about Kidman, I loved her in Dogville, To Die For, and Rabbit Hole despite almost not seeing those films because she was starring. I didn't like her very much in The Hours or Moulin Rogue.

13. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Yeah, the pressure of being Cruise's beard had to weigh heavily on her...

14. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I wonder why Meryl was never nominated for She-Devil and Death Becomes Her. :D :slinkaway

15. masofs

masofs New Member

Adaptation and Silkwood. Her role in Adaptation is one of my favorites ever and while I love Debra Winger and Shirley MacLaine in Terms of Endearment, I still prefer Meryl in Silkwood.

Her role in A Cry in The Dark is one of my favorites too but Glenn Close in Dangerous Liaisons is my favorite that year.

ITA. Fernanda Montenegro was my favorite that year. I'm a big fan of Meryl Streep but I agree that sometimes it seems that she is nominated only because she is Meryl Streep.

16. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I thought Malkovich was excellent in that role! He fell into the mannerisms, costuming and sets of the day so easily, and seemed to relish every line. A truly great performance IMO.

Close was also exquisite - I never get tired of that movie!

17. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I agree about Malkovich; I know a lot of people think he was miscast in that, but I loved him and thought he brought just the right amount of menace skulking down those dark corridors with a candelabra in his hand. I found it very atmospheric and right on.

18. masofs

masofs New Member

I love her in Death Becomes Her also. That one is underrated. Meryl is so hilarious in that. :lol:

19. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I even liked her in Mama Mia. She can handle any kind of role. However, it was obvious that she was a solid contender for Doubt that year.

20. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Big.
    Red.
    X

Julianne was perfection in that role. Perfection as a 50s woman dealing with her husband's
    homosexuality
    and awakening to other things in the world around her, like racism.

But, alas it was just an incredible, subtle story. No fake nose or disability/disease + no suicide scene = no chance for Oscar.

21. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

ITA about Moore.

It bothers me when actors/actresses get nominated just for -1) putting on a fake nose, etc., 2) gaining weight/choosing to be ugly for the role, 3)missed out in previous years due to unfair judging/voting.

The actual acting has to be rewarded over fake anything, including gaining/losing weight. I see that as part of the makeup/costume, and should not be a factor in the best actor award.

22. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I believe this was 1985:
    Anne Bancroft, Agnes of God
    Whoopi Goldberg, The Color Purple
    Jessica Lange, Sweet Dreams
    Geraldine Page, The Trip to Bountiful
    Meryl Streep, Out of Africa

I would have had Whoopi Goldberg winning for "The Color Purple", but I definitely thought Whoopi or Meryl should have won over Geraldine Page.

23. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

I voted for Julie & Julia, because I just can't get over how much Meryl immersed herself in that role. Now when I see the real Julia on TV I keep thinking that it's an actress sending up Meryl's performance...it was that good!

And while Sandy Bullock's role, also of a real person was good, I could see other actresses doing that role, whereas I can't imagine any other actress doing what Meryl did.

24. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

Well, I liked Nicole Kidman in The Hours. A lot.

There's something about Julianne Moore that I don't like. She has some mannerisms and inflections that I find repetitive and fake.

25. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Me too. This is the scene from the film that sticks in my mind.

26. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Not the math, you're just in deep denial it could possibly have been THAT LONG. (I mean, I was like Really? Not since then? Like, not since I was in nursery school?)

27. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

ITA. That was Moore's best performance every - the nuances were amazing, particularly her body language and demeanous, which perfectly captured both her character and the times.

28. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Furthermore, Julianne was nominated for lead actress for "Far From Heaven" in 2002, which was also set in the 1950s - so that makes 2 films in the same year where Moore got nominated portraying a character from the same era (although she does advance in time later on in "The Hours")

29. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

^ I think it should have helped her because though her characters were vastly different and she did a brilliant job in both. I don't think Moore has ever topped herself since Far From Heaven. I remember her receiving the most accolades by far from the critics and it's a shame she ended up losing to Kidman who donned a fake nose and was riding the wave of post-Tom Cruise sympathy (oh and some thought she was robbed for Moulin Rouge which is so whatever. Moulin Rouge wasn't even Kidman's best performance that year. She was better in The Others).

30. duane

duane New Member

I didn't see The Hours, but even if Kidman didn't deserve the nomination/win I don't care because she was so robbed of not being nominated--and winning--for To Die For.