Oscar Robbery: On which year was Meryl Streep most robbed?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Beefcake, Feb 3, 2012.

Which of these Oscars should've been Meryl Streep's?

Poll closed Feb 24, 2012.
  1. 2010-Julia & Julia (S. Bullock, The Blind Side)

40.3%
  2. 2009-Doubt (K. Winslet, The Reader)

6.9%
  3. 2003-(supporting)-Adaptation (C. Zeta-Jones, Chicago)

19.4%
  4. 1999-One True Thing (G. Paltrow, Shakespeare in Love) (also nom: C. Blanchett, Elizabeth)

11.1%
  5. 1991-Postcards from the Edge (K. Bates, Misery)

1.4%
  6. 1988-Ironweed (Cher, Moonstruck)

4.2%
  7. 1986-Out of Africa (G. Page, The Trip to Bountiful)

27.8%
  8. 1984-Silkwood (S. MacLaine, Terms of Endearment)

6.9%
  9. 1982-French Lt's Woman (K. Hepburn, On Golden Pond) (also nom: M. Mason, Only When I Laugh)

13.9%
  10. 1979-(supporting)-The Deer Hunter (M. Smith, California Suite)

6.9%
  11. Other (please comment) (see list below)

8.3%
  12. Never! Each winner, or someone else, deserved her win over Meryl

8.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

We've discussed Meryl Streep and the Oscar love (17 nominations + this year's TBD) and snubbing (2 wins) she's had over some 23 years. So, I thought I'd write a poll that asks "in which year was Meryl most robbed?"

Since I have a feeling one or two options will dominate, please select two or three .. better to :watch: stir the discussion. I've had to cram three into "Other" due to the 12-maximum restraint for FSU polls.

Feel free to bring up non-nominated roles in which Meryl should've won/been nominated.

Reminder, Streep's wins were:
    ** 1980: (Supporting) Kramer V Kramer
    ** 1983: Sophie's Choice
    Yes, it's been 19 damned years since America's greatest actress has won an Oscar!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2012
  2. duane

duane New Member

1988 - A Cry In The Dark

On the witness stand:
    "We're talking about my baby daughter. NOT SOME OBJECT!"

Chills!

3. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

"Other" ...

i.e. three of the least likely, in Beefy's infinite wisdom, to get votes. Or, rather, make that past tense -- "believed" -- as duane has already bamboozled me. Besides, duane, :p the line most of us remember from that movie is far more Mel Brooksian than Oscarsian.

2007-The Devil Wears Prada (H. Mirren, The Queen)
    1996-The Bridges of Madison County (S. Sarandon, Dead Man Walking)
    1989-Cry in the Dark (J. Foster, The Accused)

4. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

"TFL'sW"!!! :swoon: Now, of course I love me some Kate Hepburn ("The loons! The loons, you old poop!"), but Streep shoulda won that year, IMHO.

LOVE the poll, Beefstud. ;) Just an itty-bitty correction: 1978 was a Best Supporting Actress loss to Maggie Smith for "California Suite", Jane won Best Actress. Mary Louise Streep took BSA in '79 for "Kramer vs. Kramer".

5. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Gah, I knew it didn't sound right. Meryl disappears for an hour in Deer Hunter ... had to be Supporting. But after 20 minutes of back and forth on Wiki, my eyes were crossed by the time I got to the end ... which was - yes - 1979's winners lists. I'll ask Admin to correct.

Until the change is made, the 1979 option should read:

1979-The Deer Hunter (M. Smith, California Suite)

6. soxxy

soxxy Guest

1989 - A Cry in the Dark

She's often asked her favorite role and won't say, but was pressed and mentioned this one.

7. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

^ You're lucky it was just crossed-eyes. When I finished watching "The Deer Hunter" I was depressed AND drunk. :shuffle:

8. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

I picked Silkwood. But I think The Devil Wears Prada was a deliciously nuanced performance that in the hands of a lesser actress would have been a 2-dimensional caricature.

9. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I have the 'Prada' DVD and have listened to the commentary by the director, writer and costume desginer Patricia Field. The screenwriter, delighted, said that Meryl asked for changes and lines that would add more depth to the character. Miranda is bare-bones in the book.

ETA: Streep is a guest on Mike Huckabee's (!) FOX show this weekend.

10. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I chose Julie and Julia because I thought the performance had so much depth beyond the funny side of it, and she was so good that before long I had trouble picturing the real Julia.

However, I recently saw The Blind Side, and Sandra Bullock was really good. Not as great as Meryl, but a worthy performance nonetheless.

My other favourite by far is Miranda Priestly. I've seen The Devil Wears Prada a dozen times - IMO it's a very well crafted movie on all fronts - but it's her performance at the centre of it all that makes it. We've seen Meryl pull of so many personas over the years, but making it totally believable that she was the most powerful woman in fashion was quite a feat. The speech she gives about the blue sweater is absolutely classic.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  11. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

I'd go with One True Thing, since Paltrow is cringeworthy in anything that isn't a small supporting and/or self effacing role, but the presence of Cate is a problem there. So, alas, I cannot.

This is tougher when you dissect things more.

I'll go with Out of Africa, even though I didn't see The Trip to Bountiful until a couple of years after and was probably drinking. I remember falling asleep during it, though. Was Geraldine's win a "career achievement/pandering Oscar"?

12. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I liked Helen Mirren in The Queen and Susan Sarandon in Dead Man Walking- one of my favorites. But in 1989 I would've given it to Glenn Close for Dangerous Liaisons. I thought she was robbed.

I would've definitely given it to Streep for Julie and Julia. I thought she was great. I couldn't believe they gave it to Sandra Bullock.

13. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I didn't see Julia & Julia so I can't say Streep :wuzrobbed , but I did see Blind Side so I gotta think someone :wuzrobbed I wouldn't have given it to Bullock.

14. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I can believe it - I have heard that the hairstyle was also her idea.

15. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

I would like to pick Silkwood but then I think Shirley MacLaine was equally good in Terms of Endearment. And 1999 .. Gwyneth Paltrow a winner in comparison with Meryl and Cate? I still don't think so.

16. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Well, as I've said before, she's pretty much perfect in everything she does, so she "deserved" a statue for pretty every one of those performances. So then the "most robbed" has to go to those times when the actual winner was least deserving, rather than when Streep was most deserving. That that has to be last year with Bullock winning. True, it's the most recent so freshest in my mind ... but I'm still scratching my head over that one.

Second pick would probably be Silkwood vs. Shirley Maclain/Terms of Endearment. Maclain was fine, but it was Hollywood schlock heartstring-pulling stuff, nothing really earth-shattering.

For most of the others, Streep was superb ... but then so were the actual winners -- Mirren, Sarandon, Winslet (who herself had been robbed before), Bates, Hepburn, Cher ... even Paltrow!

17. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I'm not even going to waste my time discussing Bullock because she was the least deserving of all 5 nominees that year.

For me, it was for Adaptation where she was most robbed. Catherine Zeta-Jones was great as Velma in Chicago, but Streep's performance in Adaptation was sublime and I think perhaps the best supporting actress performance of the early part of the 2000s.

18. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I think she got the ones that she deserved.

19. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

IMHO, yup.

She was brilliant in "Bountiful", as usual, but it was in her early 1960s prime with back to back "Summer & Smoke" and "Sweet Bird of Youth" noms when she shoulda won it (though 'twas against some MAJOR competition!). :)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  20. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

This topic makes me sad.

:wuzrobbed

I don't know which year she was most robbed because I don't remember all of the competition nor have I seen all of the other movies but I think it was a shame she never won for Adaptation. That movie and that role was amazing and I think still under-appreciated to this day.

21. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

No, hon, it's been TWENTY-NINE years.

22. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I picked several, and some that were not listed(*).

Out of Africa- could be my most favorite Meryl movie
    Adaptation (definitely wuzrobbed)
    A cry in the dark*
    Silkwood
    One true thing (it was a pity that Paltrow won it)
    The devil wears prada *
    Julie and Julia (Meryl was the only one that kept me awake in parts of the movie; the rest put me to sleep)

I did not see Postcards from the edge and Ironweed.

I was surprised that she was not even nominated for the Hillary Clinton-like role (played by Angela Lansbury in the past): I am forgetting the movie title- need help.

No complaints about Winslett's win over Doubt, although Streep was good enough to win the SAG for that role.

No complaints about Music of the heart not winning. The movie was a box office failure.

23. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

The Manchurian Candidate?

24. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

She was great in The Manchurian Candidate. A lot of her losses are for excellent performances but I don't think she really deserved to win for a lot of the losses over other losers. Like Glenn Close for Dangerous Liaisons or Elizabeth Shue or Sharon Stone in 1995.

25. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

The Manchurian Candidate? I don't remember much about the 2004 version of the film, but I honestly forgot that Streep was even in it. So again, if the film is not terribly well received, its actors are less likely are going to be nominated. But maybe others liked it more. I thought it paled by comparison to the Sinatra version.

Frankly I'm surprised Streep was nominated for One True Thing -- not because she was anything less than her usual wonderful self, but I thought the movie was cookie-cutter and instantly forgettable. (That might have had something to do with a certain Ms. Zellwegger of course ...) I'm not normally a big Paltrow fan, but I did think she was great in SiL, and that movie at the time was more of an "Oscar" movie. So I'm not crying foul on that one.

26. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

That's the one. Since I had not seen the old version with Lansbury, I thought it was a good movie, though not great. I thought Streep was great in it, so it came as a shock that she was not even nominated.

27. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I think her nomination for One True Thing made more sense than her nomination for Music of the Heart! Streep + Cancer was a good shot with the academy- and the move was seen as much better than Sarandon's Stepmom which may have helped Streep in a way.

28. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Math is hard. :shuffle:

algonquin and (deleted member) like this.
  29. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I'm torn between Streep in Julie and Julia and Streep in Adaptation.

Her performance in Adaptation was one of the best performances of the 2000s and I absolutely loved the film. That said, CZJ was wonderful in Chicago even if it wasn't up to Streep's standards (though I would have given the Oscar to Emily Mortimer in Lovely and Amazing had she been nominated).

My vote for Julie and Julia was due to it being a pretty ho-hum year with Bullock winning for a performance that was far from impressive and not even nomination-worthy. Talk about lack of subtlety, depth, and simple-mindedness. I'm talking both of Bullock's performance and that hack of a film. I think it's one of those things that even the Bullock knew she didn't deserve which would explain her whole demeanor that night (well I'm sure it was really the fact that her husband was cheating on her and knowing the story was going to break out the next day).

30. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Has anyone lost more times than Meryl?