Oscar Red Carpet and Ceremony

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by soxxy, Feb 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LastEmpress

LastEmpress Guest

I hated his character as well. I realize they're not making him out to be a hero, or even a good guy, but I couldn't stand any character in that movie. It really ruined what I otherwise thought was a great movie.

2. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I must be old. I have no clue who she is. :lol:

3. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

I think they should go safe bet next year and beg Steve Martin and/or Billy Crystal to come back. Even Whoopi Goldberg would be way better than this.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  4. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

I'd pay good money to see Anne H. tell the stoned one :blah: backstage afterward, "James, eat sh*t and die" like Shirley MacLaine as Ouiser in "Steel Magnolias".

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

US pairs skater - Castelli and Shnapir

Good night, all. Thanks for the play by play - far more interesting than the show itself.

6. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

I really am glad that The King's Speech won. That and Tangled were the only two movies I liked this year.

-Bridget

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

She really should. I've heard the comatose can hear us.

dbell1 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I totally agree.

9. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

61 pages already! I am just logging in, after watching the whole show.

Very predictable results. No surprises. I was still hoping the Social Network would win BP and particularly Best Director (Fincher) awards. However, the King's speech is an excellent movie, so I have no complaints. I didn't think Tom Hooper really deserved the Best Director award though. When he got that award, I knew that TKS would win the BP. Earlier I got my hopes up for TSN when it won for best editing. I was a bit surprised that TSN got the best original score award. I thought there were better candidates for that, including TKS and Inception. It was small consolation for missing out on the best director award which was much more deserved.

I liked the overall program; slightly different from previous years. Those kids from Staten Island were adorable. I wish they had shown their song earlier though. Most people lose interest once the BP award is announced.

The dresses were beautiful this year; not falling off, and covered a lot of the bodies. Natalie's dress was beautiful. I also liked Amy Adam's. Why did Anne Hathaway change her dress so many times? It got old.

Other than that, good Oscars. Very happy for Colin Firth. He has been a great actor for years. Happy for Melissa Leo too. I was surprised that this was Christian Bale's first Oscar win. He has been a great actor for quite sometime.

10. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

That was my main thought too - Why didn't someone donate some money so that the kids would have something a little nicer to wear then those t-shirts and black pants/shirts? It is Oscars and it was probably a once in a lifetime moment for those kids.

Thought that Anne did a pretty good job - especially after it was painfully evident that she was going to carry the whole thing.

Did anyone else cringe when Jude Law made those remarks towards Robert Downey, Jr? I know Downey has had a past, but Jude Law should be the last one to make jokes about someone's moral misconduct.

Glad that King's Speech and Colin Firth won.

11. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

no it means that he has alreasy cheated and she adopted a baby a few months ago tho!

12. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

Oh please. For many of those kids , it may turn out to be one of the highlights of their childhood. I do wish they could have had something better than just plain T-shirts,but umm... having grown up in Staten Island, I can tell you, where P.S. 22 is located is not exactly the wealthiest area ...

Matryeshka and (deleted member) like this.
  13. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Hell, Oprah could have bought them all couture gowns and tuxes instead of starting her own vanity network. :shuffle:

manleywoman and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Many times actors win for playing complex characters, anti-hero types. Nothing wrong with it. For example, Javier Bardem in 'No country for old men'. Natalie Portman's character in Black Swan wasn't exactly likable either.

You don't have to like the character to acknowledge the performance of an actor. Zuckerberg, as portrayed in the movie is not a complete A*hole (as the female actor says at the end). The real life Zuckerberg, from the article in Time magazine is even less so. He is just reserved, and not a bad person (he is also happily living with the same girl friend for many years; Erica Albright character was added just to make the movie interesting).

The movie makers made a lot of changes to dramatize, and make the movie and the characters more interesting. The only bad person in the movie was Sean Parker (Justin Timberlake) and it was well acted. The movie was not so much about whether the people were good or bad but rather about how creative, and at times gullible Zuckerberg was- only in the movie (not in real life), and how important his work has been. It was a movie about our times, and I thought it would have been a landmark win, had it won the BP Oscar. The academy went with the more traditional film. Either way the result would have been fair. I thought TKS and TSN were the two best movies this year, and could not really decide between the two.

15. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

I did see a pre-show interview moments before the show started, and he did seem totally out of it...spacy and at times incoherent. Just weird.

Thing is, I think they both could've done a respectable hosting job--bland script/jokes and all--if he just would've given Anne an ounce of commitment to the material, but she got zilch for him, sans the drag gig.

Ah well, hopefully she doesn't regret her decision too much, but with the right partner, I think she would've been just fine.

16. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Oh man, THAT'S how it's done.

17. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

18. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

I was actually following some of those tweets. I don't have a TV, so I wasn't watching the ceremony, but it did look cool to see the audience from the POV of the stage in his clips. There was a clip where Anne hands James an energy bar on stage. Was that on TV? Seems appropriate, lol. Perhaps he was too wrapped up in tweeting than actually hitting his lines. :lol:

19. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I disagree with some of the winners, but this is the first Oscar ceremony in a long time where I didn't feel that there was any "robbery." To me, the winners I disagreed with was really just a difference in opinion. 2010 was really a strong year in film.

I would have loved to see The Social Network win Best Picture (I was one of the hold-outs not really wanting to watch it and thought if I saw it, I'd think it would be heavily overrated...but I was surprised to really and truly believe it was the Best movie of 2010), but I can see how it wasn't for everyone. I think The Social Network is to Network/All the President's Men what The King's Speech is to Rocky.

Poor True Grit. It was one nomination shy of tying The Turning Point and The Color Purple in having the most nominations without winning an Oscar.

20. MINAM

MINAM The "NICE" Admin Staff Member

Closing this thread as it has over 1,000 posts.

(Didn't lock it since the ceremony was ongoing.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.