Oscar Pistorius on murder charge

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by skatefan, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I can't imagine a country not extraditing a murderer in a case like this where no politics are involved.

But his situation is very different from most other people accused of murder. He's a elite level competitive athlete. Competing at international events is how he earns his living.

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Could be. Or maybe he wants to go grab his favorite pair of shoes.

3. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

He could still find a place to live that won't send him back. Others have done it.

4. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Here's a long but very interesting background article on Oscar from a few days ago. Details a life of privilege and special treatment, including being allowed to compete in the 400m in London even though he had not qualified, leaving another SA athlete who had at home. Also many previous incidents of favourable treatment by law enforcement officials, as well as lots of reason to think there are serious emotional issues there.

5. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

Even though I don't think he should have been allowed to run, he most certainly did qualify as he "ran" under the A standard for qualifying in July 2011. Up to three athletes from each country who have the A standard are allowed compete at the Olympics. Pistorius was the only South African entered in the 400m in London so either the other runner was not selected or he did not have the A standard.

And the athlete named Simon Magakwe isn't even a 400m runner. :confused:

6. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Is South Africa the country with higher country standards though? I remember there being a fuss some Olympics where a country left qualified athletes at home because they didn't meet internal standards. IIRC, SA requires runners to meet two A standards. That may have been how Pistorius didn't qualify. I have no idea if this is the case. Though it is funny that the named runner doesn't run the event (I did find some articles about him being left off the team despite meeting the A standard, but nothing mentioned Oscar.)

7. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

Any body read the Vanity Fair article? http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2013/06/oscar-pistorius-murder

I thought a lot of the things the article says were later on denied, (ex. she was shot through her shorts, there was a bloody bat, etc.) and things I didn't know (ex. she had stayed with him for three days, Pistorius never tried to talk to Reeva's parents) but I doubt they would've put it in due to the risk of later being sued. The portrait they paint is of an out-of-control aggressive jerk but a Slate blogger is not convinced:

A New Vanity Fair Story Shows that Oscar Pistorius Is a Jerk. But Is He a Murderer?
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2013/05/15/hilton_botha_reeva_steenkamp_new_vanity_fair_story_shows_that_oscar_pistorius.html

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

9. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

If he says no, than they can have 24-hour fluff, I guess. :p

11. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The judge declared that all of the audio can get broadcast but only parts of the video. :p

12. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

No comments yet, even after Pistorius threw up?

13. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

I think most people are just as sick of the trial as he is.

14. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I cant remember any defendant going through so much physical drama.

15. heckles

heckles Banned Member

Eh, I suppose that's to his credit. Better than OJ Simpson's smugness throughout his trial.

16. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

And what about the physical drama that Reeva went through the night Pistorius shot her? What about all the physical drama her family has gone through in the meantime with all this dragging out before the world media? I'm not saying you're showing him sympathy but if there is any concern to be shown regarding this, it's for the victim and her family.

17. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

I didn't read caseyedwards' post as anything but pointing out that his physical display is something he/she hasn't seen before (correct me if I'm wrong casey).

18. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I thought of all those smug non responsive defendants that get controversy and this being opposite of that.

The below is right. Just a comment on his crying and vomiting and hunching over which is rare.

You are correct.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The perpetrator is also a victim.

20. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

This line of thinking has never sat well with me. Just because a person says one sympathetic thing towards the ACCUSED doesn't mean they feel no sympathy for the victim or their family. People act like we have to choose. "If there is ANY concern....its for the victim and her family." How about I have enough concern for ALL OF THEM? Is that such a ridiculous concept?

Gazpacho and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

I think most people take a break and/or leave the courtroom.

He's been asked several times if he would like to take a break and always refuses.

But yeah, very unusual.

22. Xela M

Xela M Active Member

Ahhh, thanks Prancer for directing me to this thread! I must admit I have a weak spot for Oscar. He is (or was) such a hero for so many that it's incredibly sad that he manged to throw his life away in a moment of madness. Even if he gets acquitted, his life - as he knew it - is over. He will suffer a similar fate to O.J. (even if he doesn't commit armed robbery). All his sponsorship deals will stop. People will always wonder if he didn't murder her after all.

23. bek

bek Guest

He killed this girl, with a gun he wasn't allowed to have. The courts can decide if it was an accidental death or not, but it doesn't change the fact that he wasn't suppose to have a gun in the first place. And I think deserves jail time for having the illegal gun, and shooting the girl with the illegal gun.

And I find the it was an accident thing not necessarily believable. He's also getting preferential treatment from the courts. Who should be allowed to leave the country when on trial for murder! No one.

24. Xela M

Xela M Active Member

Although I must admit the intruder hiding in the toilet cubicle story sounds improbable, why on earth would he deliberately kill her? There is no motive and the "jealous" texts don't explain it either because out of 1700 text between them, only 4 indicated any kind of arguments and all couples argue at one point or another.

25. bek

bek Guest

All couples don't end up with one couple shooting the other.

26. Muffin

Muffin New Member

A few statistics:
    - 4,000 women are killed every year by domestic violence.
    - 40% of women killed worldwide are killed by their partner
    Why do men kill their wives & girlfriends? I don't know, but I know that it's very common, and it's a hell of a lot more believable than the ridiculous story he told in court.

Desperado and (deleted member) like this.
  27. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

All couples fight, but in how many couples does one person state they are afraid of the other?

28. Xela M

Xela M Active Member

That's kind of my point. There is no indication from their text messages that there was anything wrong.

But he was the famous, rich, handsome athlete who had many women after him, so it wasn't an ordinary relationship. Plus, I have seen messages from people who claim to have known the couple who claim that it was, in fact, Reeva who was the jealous and possessive one whereas he was cheating on her with a number of other women.

It just seems odd. His previous girlfriend quite publicly cheated on him whilst he was at the London Olympics and he didn't shoot her - he just dumped her. Also, if there really was an argument between him and Reeva that night, wouldn't she have called or texted someone about it?

I guess, but that was taken out of context. She said something like she was sometimes scared of his temper. It didn't really indicate that he had ever been abusive towards her.

29. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

You do realize that some people cheat on their SOs but still get jealous and/or angry? And that one relationship is not necessarily a good predictor for another?

And that people cheat on their famous, rich, beautiful SOs?

And that people can get into fights that blow up out of nowhere?

And that a lot of people get into fights without texting their friends halfway through?

Maybe she was planning to and he shot her first; her cell phone was in the bathroom, wasn't it? That seems really odd to me; if you just have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, do you take your phone with you? But there are probably people who do and Reeva may have been one of them.

30. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I am not disputing any of that.