Oscar Pistorius on murder charge

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by skatefan, Feb 14, 2013.

1. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  2. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

What a shame and a tragedy for both.

Alledgedly killed Girlfriend

3. floskate

floskate Vacant

BBC sport just tweeted that bail will be opposed as there were witnesses? Also reports stating that police have alluded to previous domestic disturbances. Wow this is shocking. :(

4. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

https://mobile.twitter.com/ewnreporter?p=s

Statement from South Afrinca police says they have reports of screaming and shouting earlier in teh evening & they were surprised to hear the reports about him mistaking her for an intruder. They will disclose their reasons for opposing bail this afternoon. This is horrible :(

5. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I heard this on the radio tonight. Totally bizarre and unexpected.

6. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

When I first read about this the headline only stated "Paralympic athlete" I immediately wondered if it was Pistorius but didn't even want to open it up...

7. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

:eek:

8. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

I may now have a concrete reason for disliking Pistorius. Something about him and the way his "sainthood" was propagated really grated.

9. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby Member

I really wonder who started and why the rumors about his mistaking the girl for a burglar? Not police anyways. And the neighbors heard fighting.

10. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

In a story I read earlier and now can't find, there was reference to the high crime rate in the area and how even in gated communities residents usually have firearms in the house, and how in one recent incident, a man shot his own daughter because he thought she was someone stealing his car.

I suspect that's the source of confusion, along with perhaps people hoping that it was an accident rather than murder, including:

But a police spokesperson says otherwise:

(Quotes from an AP story)

11. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby Member

I have read Pistorius is a big hero in Australia and maybe that's why they tried to make up all kinds of excuses.

12. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, media outlets are so intent on getting a "scoop" that they don't seem to fact check before reporting rumors. The surge in social media and 24 hr news outlets only contributes to this. Remember when the Newtown shooting happened, there were reports that the shooter's mother taught at the school, among other things.

13. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

I guess you meant South Africa :shuffle:

14. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

this is so shocking :eek:

15. joeperryfan

You bet... I was just reading an article about this on a portuguese site it had such gems as "... the police charged him with homicide(translated from portuguese so I don't know what the actual accusation was) so the the hypothesis of accidental murder was discarded..." , erm, what exactly do they think would have been the charge had it been an accident? The degree or murder differs but t's still murder even if accidental...

"... the authorities denied bail for the athlete's release...", as far as I know this only happens after the first court appearance, what really happened was that the police plans to opposed his request for bail.

Evidently I don't know what happened, but the coverage of this case is absolute crap.

16. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Are the laws re: self-defense not as stringent in SA as they are in the US? Here, you have to prove you gave them the option to leave before you blow them away, either verbally or by barricading the doors or something (to show you know they're there and that they can leave without consequence. Once they enter your home, thrn all bets are off.

Shooting someone in the head before asking who they are (especially if they live with you!!!!) is especially rash and stupid. If it's dark and you can't see well, the head is a poor target anyway - you'd go for center mass. If she was shot in the head, he must have been looking at her well enough to recognize her.

I don't doubt that accidental shootings CAN happen in the "I thought it was an intruder!" way, but it's so, so stupid and preventable on both the perpetrator and the victim.

17. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

The laws regarding self-defense in the US are different from state-to-state. As we saw from the Trayvon Martin case, the Florida stand-your-ground law is pretty broad in terms of what is allowed to be considered self-defense.

18. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

19. joeperryfan

Yeah, but shooting someone in the arm only makes sense if a) you're a lousy shot or b) you're trying to stop them from using a weapon or c) you're doing it on purpose to disguise the scene , so shooting arm and then head is what people would do for stopping an intruder with a gun quickly, if you shoot them in the chest they could still shoot you back... at least that's what I've seen in movies. :p

I agree that it's preventable, but I also imagine that a person who can't walk without prosthetics would enter survival mode much faster than the average Joe and wouldn't even think before acting, of course we don't know enough details about this case but so far it's a feasible scenario. From the accounts I've read of house invasions in South Africa they are much more brutal than in the US, I don't think most people there would ask anything before acting.

Again, I'm not saying any of this happened, at this point nothing conclusive has been reported. Apparently the police isn't very willing to endorse the mistake scenario so that could be a clue...

20. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

With the mentions of previous domestic disturbances and her being shot 4 times, I have a harr time believing this is a case ot mistaken identity

21. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

More from AP:

Doesn't sound like another quiet evening in the neighbourhood, disturbed only by an intruder.

22. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I agree, oleada. Being shot four times and the other domestic disturbances seem to point to this being an example of violent behavior escalating. Certainly, we have to wait for all the evidence, but I agree with oleada.

How unbelievably sad for this woman and her family.

23. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Did they live together? If you're in bed and you hear a noise and your girlfriend isn't in bed with you, wouldn't you first assume that it was your girlfriend making that noise?

24. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

I would like to get more information on this.. as from what our news said the assault he was arrested for was because a woman had broken into his apt and he forced her out and a piece of wood fell on her from the door but the charges were dropped? I think the fact that there was yelling and screaming (apparently) would suggest that it wasn't an accident.. but again would like some more information.. I am biased anyway (against him) as I always thought he seemed arrogant.. and I don't like his accent :shuffle:

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Pistorius Charged With Murder in Shooting of Girlfriend: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/15/sports/oscar-pistorius-shooting-south-africa.html
    Reuters article: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/14/us-safrica-pistorius-idUSBRE91D0AE20130214

26. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

The CNN story said his arrest in 2009 was because of something that happened at a party (not someone breaking into his home):
    Not even sure at this point if this information is correct -- will have to wait and see what is reported in coming days.

27. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

28. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

You may have a point there.

Even though it is hard to believe it, it is still possible that it could have been a case of mistaken identity in this sad event.

We just don't have enough information to draw conclusions at this time. We may have to wait and see what the courts in SA decide.

29. FGRSK8

FGRSK8 In Search of a Lost Chord

How can anyone shoot such a gorgeous person? :(

30. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

That someone without legs has a higher survival instinct and therefore it's understandable that they would shoot somebody without thinking more quickly than an able-bodied person? Is there any scientific evidence to support that? :confused:

We have plenty of information to draw conclusions and they are all pointing to it not being a case of mistaken identity.