Oscar Nominations

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by sk9tingfan, Jan 10, 2013.

1. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I've not seen Silver Linings Playbook or Lincoln. But I loved THE SESSIONS, and loathed THE MASTER. Joaquin Phoenix, Amy Adams and Philip Seymour Hoffmann wanted to make me gouge my eyes out.

2. essence_of_soy

You and me both. Three great actors totally wasted in a self-indulgent mess.

3. essence_of_soy

Loved Argo and your comparison of THE MASTER to a Kira Ivanova long program.

4. screech

screech Well-Known Member

In a word, money. He's basically guaranteed money for any studio. Which means producers, scriptwriters, other actors, directors - anyone making movies. And many of those people are voting members of the Academy. People will now bend over backwards for RDJ because he's good for them, their careers and their wallets.

I wasn't told exactly how they were 'nudged', but only that they were. She didn't vote for Heath though, despite the nudging.

5. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

6. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

The sessions moved me emotionally more than any other movie so far (I have not seen The Impossible yet).

Thanks for the warning about The Master. I will avoid it.

7. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Interesting re "guaranteed money." Couldn't that be said about a number of top actors though (including Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise, altho' they likely haven't been as successful in their projects making as much big money as RDJ's movies have been making recently). Perhaps it's a combination of RDJ's charming personality, he's fun and funny to be around, his smarts, his admirable survival, his well-connected wife, his ability to network, and his big box-office draw, especially with Sherlock Holmes and The Iron Man franchise. Generally, he's had the luck of the draw in picking the right movies to become involved in, which is an important factor in making money at the box office.

Oh, that "nudging," sounds like an extra super-sized version of politiking. As you've noted, people will likely in the end still vote for who they want to vote for anyway.

8. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Update - I saw Zero Dark Thirty last night. My impression:

Overall, a great if not perfect job (But then, when is a movie ever 'perfect'?). It's rather long but perhaps necessarily so for Kathryn Bigelow to tell us the whole story. While I've only seen 2 movies of hers ('The Hurt Locker' and now 'ZDF'), she seem to have a cold, clinical directing style but then she catches you by surprise w/ emotionally jarring scenes. The best part of the movie is probably the last hour. The first 1/2 - 2/3 of the movie are more akin to a documentary.

As a 'documentary', one flaw for me personally is that I didn't feel involved w/ any of the characters. But, the subject matter maybe isn't really about that ... And I also was a bit uncomfortable w/ the movie's suggestion that torture works. It wasn't questioned in the film.

Jessica Chastain's character takes you on a journey of change in a rather subtle, subdued way. Jessica manages to do that for her character. (I still think Naomi Watts outdid her this year)

9. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I understand why you feel that way. And in a less non-fiction film, I would agree. But, for this movie, they really had to present it as fact and not editorialize. I think the film making people uncomfortable accomplishes the idea that torture is wrong without stating it outright. Though I have not seen it, that's just my uninformed opinion.

10. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Excellent observation!

11. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Seth McFarlane is hosting the Oscars? He's quite handsome but it seems like a weird choice. I don't see it working.

12. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

They've been trying to attract a younger audience for years, and people my age adore Family Guy, for the most part. Made perfect sense to me.