Oscar Nominations

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by sk9tingfan, Jan 10, 2013.

1. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

The way Hollywood loves to reward fresh young faces these days, maybe the vote will be split between Jennifer, Jessica (and the somewhat older Naomi) to the point where Quvenzhane Wallis will end up winning. :D ;)

It would be so fun to see BOSW director, Benh Zeitlin win for BD! It would be one of those exciting upsets that would make the broadcast extra interesting to watch.

In the other major categories, I'd like to see DDL and Sally Field win in their categories; either Tommy Lee Jones or Alan Arkin for BSActor; Tony Kushner for Best Adapted Screenplay; and either BOSW or Lincoln for Best Picture.

It was great to see Kathryn Bigelow win a few years ago for Hurt Locker, but I don't think Hurt Locker deserved to win for Best Picture that year. Also, I think Bigelow should have been nominated years previously for Strange Days. Not sure re ZD30 since I haven't seen it yet. Is it possible that ZD30 stole some thunder from Argo and then they both "flamed out" in the minds of Oscar voters?

Aren't Flight and Skyfall at least equally or more deserving for BP noms as Silver Linings Playbook? Oh, well, that's Hollywood politics. The best doesn't always win and many times the best doesn't even get nominated, and how to actually determine "the best" in any case. It's mostly based on personal preferences, personal perceptions, buzz, networking, and ever-present politics.

Me too re BOSW. Haven't yet seen SLP. It's highly likely that BOSW and SLP director noms are what pushed out director noms for Affleck and Bigelow.

As Ioana already mentioned, Jennifer Lawrence was exceedingly excellent in Winter's Bone, a small independent film she starred in when she was a little known actress prior to hitting it bigger in The Hunger Games. BTW, John Hawkes was also amazing in Winter's Bone as the scary character, Teardrop, and he was Oscar-nominated for that role. It's a film worth checking out.

:sekret: What makes RDJ "own" Hollywood so much these days? I know he's always been beloved even when he was strung out on drugs, and I know he's clean now and happily married, and he's done well with the Iron Man franchise, and he's a great actor, but what makes him have so much clout exactly? Just curious.

I wonder how voters were "nudged" to vote for Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight? Too bad they weren't so "nudged" when Heath should have won for his role in Brokeback Mountain in 2005, easily over Philip Seymour Hoffman's very good, but miscast impersonation of Truman Capote, in Capote. As to the Best Picture selection that same year ... what a car wreck! :wuzrobbed:

2. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I don't think it should be a hard&fast rule, but I do know what you mean.

I know Oscars are supposed to be about the one performance, not a body of work, but I still do think there's something a bit off about giving a best actor nomination to a to a child's first performance. As amazing as Keisha Castle-Hughes and Quvenzhané Wallis were in their films, they were more about natural "being" than the craft of acting.

A child actor category would be cool though. You wouldn't even have to set an age rule -- after all there's no screentime percentage rule for defining "supporting" actor.

3. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I don't get the comment about RDJ owning Hollywood, either. He is certainly doing well with the Marvel franchise movies but he isn't running Hollywood or the "it" man as far as I can tell. I know Reese Witherspoon was heavily campaigning for Naomi Watts as well and I would think she would have more clout being a recent Best Actress winner.

4. Artemis@BC

BTW, I just caught up with Monday night's episode of the Daily Show. Hilarious interview with Anne Hathaway.

5. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

They used to give child actors mini-Oscars back in the day. Margaret O'Brien received an "Outstanding Child Actress" Oscar for 1944's Meet Me in St. Louis (a great film that I saw recently). :) I also think Shirley Temple received a mini-Oscar, but I'm not sure if it was for one film or a body of work for a particular year or years. Her IMDB bio states that "at age six she became the first recipient of the juvenile academy award." Probably Jackie Cooper received a juvenile award too.

ETA:
    You make a good point, BigB08822. As good as Anna Paquin was in The Piano, I think Rosie Perez should have won BSActress for her performance in Fearless (1993).

6. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

There is also a gulf of difference between acting and reacting and many kids just react; Wallis is a perfect example.

There is no screen time rule for any acting category. I do wish they had a separate category for kids just like they do with animated motion pictures. I also wish they would do away with having a set number of nominees in all categories. If only four men qualify for best actor then only have four. It would alleviate the trouble of them putting in actors like Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington to fill a void. If seven supporting actors were good enough, then nominate all seven.

The best actress category is the absolute weakest I have seen in years but the supporting actor could have added three more. I feel bad for Hooper and Affleck but not for Bigelow, The Hurt Locker was fabulous but Zero Dark Thrity (or The Hurt Locker Part II) was not.

Time has no bearing on what wins best picture; Braveheart was released in May and still won best picture and director. If it's good enough they will remember it.

7. Artemis@BC

Those weren't competitive awards with a nominated category, though, they were "special awards" just given. Sort of the opposite end of the age spectrum as the lifetime achievement awards.

ETA: Now that I think about it, though ... I wonder if a competitive child actor catorgory would be good for the mental health of the kids involved. It's not like they pressure-cooker they live and work in isn't damaging enough to their psyches!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  8. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I saw Flight. Washington isn't just filling a void.

9. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I agree. Really affecting performance. Totally gives into the role. I would put him ahead of both Hugh Jackman and Bradley Cooper if I were ranking the performances I've seen in the category.

10. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I thought he just showed up; it was ok, nothing Oscar worthy.

11. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

I didn't like the character or the film. And my condolences if you knew someone similar to Hathaway's character in the film. ;)

12. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I was actually more sympathetic to Hathaway's character, than the father, step-mother, and mother. The first two were enablers and the mother was a witch. I thought Hathaway portrayed what a recovering addict, just coming out of rehab, for a dysfunctional family celebration would go through. It was raw and uncomfortable, but real.

13. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I think Hathaway got the nom for shaving her head. Any time a pretty actress goes ugly for a part, Hollywood eats it up.

14. duane

duane New Member

Correct, like Judy Garland receiving one for The Wizard of Oz (even though she was 17 at the time--IMO more reason that she deserved a true Best Actress nomination for playing the role of a child so convincingly).

15. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Definitely ahead of Cooper. Can't choose between Denzel and Hugh. Both were excellent, but IMO Denzel in Flight had a tougher character to portray.

16. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I'm in the minority but I didn't care for Hugh Jackman in Les Mis. I thought he was way over-the-top and was agressively earnest the whole time. Both he and Anne Hathaway were trying too hard IMO.

I don't think Flight was helped by Robert Zemeckis's cheesiness, but IMO Denzel Washington overcame that.

17. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I have seen "Winter's Bone," and while I thought she was good, I wasn't blown away by her performance. Overall I didn't love the movie, either, but John Hawkes is what most impressed me about the film. Maybe I had too high of expectations before I watched it?

I know several people who belong to the Academy as well (all three are in the technical crafts). I don't think they would have kept any kind of silence if someone told them how to vote. :lol: In regards to Heath Ledger, I remember reading (perhaps in EW) that some members felt torn on the issue because while they thought it good to honor him, their vote would be "wasted" on someone who would never benefit from the honor. :blah: I'd say it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that Ledger was going to going to win that year though, especially after public outcry about the Academy being out of touch with mainstream movie-goers. (And the following year is when they went to a max of 10 Best Picture nominations.)

18. Vash01

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  19. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

It's in the best live action short film category

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

It's not a new thing - Natalie Portman got her head shaved on camera for V for Vendetta back in 2005 and didn't get an Oscar nom for that. :p

21. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Too much anarchy for Hollywood to embrace ;)

She did go the other route to a nom in Black Swan, though: Crazypants.

22. cruisin

And she lost a lot of weight! Biggest gorgeous to ugly transformation - Charlize Theron in Monster. How anyone could make her look that ugly is beyond me. A well deserved award, however, she was incredible in that part.

23. duane

duane New Member

Beyond incredible--both the acting and the transformation.

24. Vash01

Found it. Thanks.

25. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Don't assume SLP did so well due to the Weinsteins promotion of it. It won the People's Choice Award, which is the Best Picture award, at the Toronto Intl Film Festival. Three Family Friends saw it there and two more at Cinefest in Sudbury and all five could not stop gushing about it. It also got a lot of "You *must* go see this" buzz on Movies threads at other MB/sites I belong to and many listened to those people due to their proven track record of picking awesome movies to recommend.

So while the Weinsteins promotion helped of course, but SLP also got a lot of buzz starting from September to now.

I'll be back in a bit. Got a touchy tooth, kept me up all night and I'm a bit of a daze from next to no sleep and pain. Give me the pain from just after Ortho Surgery over a stupid aching tooth any day!!! :(

26. cruisin

(((Araghorn))) I have had so much dental work, root canals, implants, etc. I feel your pain. Feel better.

27. AragornElessar

Thanks crusin. Amazing how a nap can help. I was literally fighting w/my eyelids while typing that post. Anyway...

I'm among those surprised at no Director nod for Ben Affleck. It truly did sound like he was a shoo in for a nom yesterday.

Holy packed w/talent Best Supporting Actor!!! My eye brows kept going up and up and up as each nominated actor appeared on the list I was looking at. Wow!!

Am I wrong in thinking Frankenweenie is the favourite for Best Animated? IIRC, it was one of the best rated Animated Features of this year, but going by memory there too, so...

Wish there was more Hobbit and really shocked no nod for Howard Shore's score, but what are you going to do other than pout about it... ;)

Looking forward to Sunday and Globes night. Things could be a bit clearer after that or even more muddled. It's going to be fun to watch shake down though. :D

28. cruisin

Globes is Sunday?! Against Revenge?! Whatever will I do? :lol:

29. AragornElessar

Yes, Globes are Sunday. Found out earlier that Michael J Fox and Tracy Pollan's oldest son Sam is this year's Mr. Golden Globe. One look at that kid and you know right away who his Dad is. I did about three or four double takes watching his little mini interview I saw earlier tonight. :D

30. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Just saw Silver Linings Playbook and I thought it was simply awful. I don't understand how it received four Acting nominations. I was really trying hard to enjoy the lack of subtlety, over-the-top acting, and trying-too-hard humor, but after the stereotypical black character teaching the two white main characters how to dance "more black" scene I think I mentally checked out and couldn't get into DiNiro's forced crying scene about father/son and Eagles.

BTW, I loved Jennifer Lawrence in Winter's Bone, but I felt she was way out of her element here like in the beer drinking scene where we're supposed to be so impressed with her but I just ended up rolling my eyes at the whole thing (by which I mean the whole story). I know she prides herself on her natural talent and lack of acting classes, but I think she needs it. Of course, she got great reviews and a slew of award nominations and is a big contender for the Oscar, so it's working for her. However, I just didn't see what the big fuss is about.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013