Oscar Nominations

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by sk9tingfan, Jan 10, 2013.

1. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Yes, that was part of my concern, I should have been more specific. I was wondering if the controversy, could have hurt the film.
  2. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

And the film is universally praised by almost all the critics who've seen it. It currently ranks 94% on rottentomatoes with very good to glowing reviews. I'm sure the analysts will come up with all kind of reasons why it was snubbed, ie anything from because of the controversial topic or maybe Hollywood didn't want to honor a woman director for a 2nd time, etc.
  3. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

I'm really shocked at all the nominations for "Silver Linings Playbook." Was it that good?

I haven't seen the movie, but the trailer made the film look like another run-of-the-mill romantic comedy, wrapped in mental illness for edge. The trailer seemed to hit every romcom cliche in the book. I half-expected "Salsbury Hill" to start playing it looked so uninspired and predictable.

Everything about the trailer screamed, "Stay away!"

I guess that was a misperception? Is this movie not that, and actually oscar worthy? Or do the producers/director simply have some good connections?

Can anyone vouch for the film?
  4. cruisin

Have not seen it either, but my perception was the same as yours.
  5. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen "Silver Linings Playbook" yet but this NYTimes review certainly doesn't seem to be describing a "run-of-the-mill romantic comedy, wrapped in mental illness for edge." I'm sure that some FSUers who have seen it can provide more/better input on the film and whether or not it is "deserving" as an Oscar nominee.
  6. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I agree I think that describes Love and other drugs from a few years ago! LOL!
  7. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I also admit that the trailers for Silver Lining Playbook didn't make it look any better than any other romantic comedy. I assumed they got some great performances out of Cooper and Lawrence but am surprised about the other nominations.
  8. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

"Silver Linings Playbook" (IMO) was completely awesome. The ending was not all I'd hoped for, but that may be in part due to the book it was based on. My biggest praise for the movie goes to Jennifer Lawrence, however. I've thought she was good in other roles, but I can't say I had bought into the hype about her being the "next big" young star. This movie changed that perception totally for me.
  9. peibeck

On the whole, I think this has been one of the strongest years for movies in a while. What were hoping to see nominated?
  10. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Best picture can get up to 10 nominations, but Best Director only 5? Seems illogical to me.
  11. avivadawn

avivadawn New Member

First Position was robbed, IMO. I am extremely put out that it didn't get a nom for Best Documentary Feature
  12. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that does not get the hype about Silver linings playbook? Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the movie, but I found it rather predictable (the ending in particular). It was a very well done movie, and it belongs on the Best picture nomination list, but I still don't get the raves over it. It is essentially a romcom, with some mental health stuff added to it. I can name two other movies that were as good as this one- The Sessions and Skyfall (two very different genres, and very good in its own way). I am still shocked that Bradley Cooper got the best actor nom over John Hawkes.
  13. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Just saw an interview with Quentin Tarantino and never realised until now how much of an asshole he seems to be.
  14. screech

screech Well-Known Member

He really did campaign hard. He's a very private person, but in the last few months was constantly seen out smiling with the wife and kids, letting paps take pictures, etc. Very out of the ordinary for him. And I'm very surprised for his and Bigelow's snubs.

Bradley Cooper will always be Will Tippin from Alias to me. Insane to think that he's the first actor since the show ended to be nominated for an Oscar.

Even though I haven't seen Les Miserables, I adore Hugh Jackman and would love for him to win. From what I hear, the race is between him and DDL, though if those 2 split the votes, Cooper could sneak in. Happy to see Joaquin Phoenix in there - many thought he ruined his chances a few months ago when he basically said the Oscars don't mean anything and he didn't care about nominations. He's been overshadowed in the past by his costars (by Russell Crow in Gladiator and Reese Witherspoon in Walk the Line) that it's nice to see him being the main attraction for a film.

From what I hear, the race for best actress is between Jessica Chastain (who for some reason I don't know, bothers me) and Jennifer Lawrence.

Kind of surprised not to see Javier Bardem, since he's gotten so much recognition for Skyfall. Leonardo DiCaprio is also a bit of a surprise, though Christoph Waltz definitely outshone him in Django Unchained (and I so want him to win!!!)

It's an interesting year for the Oscars since there is no far away frontrunner in any category. Even Anne Hathaway (who annoys me as well, to no end) isn't a clear frontrunner for Les Miserables.

It shall be interesting...
  15. znachki

znachki Active Member

I haven't seen either move, but knowing the past work of both actors, I'm wondering if Cooper got the nod because the Academy always seems to go for a performance where an actor goes to a new level. Hawkes is always amazing, but Cooper showed something new? Thoughts on that?

Very pleased to see that "The Invisible War" got a nomination for Documentary Feature. Certainly has a pov, but it helped change the policies on sexual assault in the military.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  16. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Bradley Cooper has a better PR agent, or had a better Oscar campaign, than John Hawkes. And Cooper's movie opened later than Hawkes' and got more widespread release and more attention.

I haven't seen either movie, so I have no opinion on which was actually the better performance.
  17. znachki

znachki Active Member

Hey - this is the Oscars - since when has that had anything to do with it :lol:
  18. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Agreed, and happy to see Thomas Newman nominated for his score (though not his best work). That man is the biggest wuzrobbed of ALL. TIME.

Bummed Affleck didn't make the cut for Argo, but at least he picked up the Best Picture nod (he was co-producer).
  19. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

I think the Imposter and Marley not getting nominated is the bigger shocker.
  20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Blame Canada for its polite facts-being-set-straight campaign :mitchell:
  21. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

Jennifer Lawrence was fabulous in Winter's Bone, I was so impressed with her mature acting and the rawness she brought to the role. Haven't seen Silver Linings yet, I'm sure she's great in it as well. I do think she's the frontrunner right now, but I would so love to see Emmanuelle Riva win! (still can't believe Marion Cotillard was snubbed...:()
  22. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I think the best actress category might be the surprise. People are talking about Chastain and Lawrence but I wonder if the race might come down to Riva and Watts.
    If I had to bet today I would pick Riva.
  23. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Hawkes, hands down. The most challenging role- having to be on his back the entire movie, in an uncomfortable position, and not presenting a self-pitying or over the top suffering of the character.
  24. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

IMO the late release of ZDT is going to hurt that movie's nominations, most of all Jessica Chastain. All these months all we heard was how great Jennifer Lawrence was in SLP (and she was very good), but most people have not seen the movie or Chastain's performance in ZDT. Bigelow's snub as director speaks volumes, IMO.
  25. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Just read some stuff now predicting Watts, especially since Robert Downey Jr (who basically owns Hollywood these days) gave her his praise at the People's Choice Awards. If RDJ singles out an actress's performance in his acceptance speech at an awards show, you can damn well bet the Academy will take notice.

I have a relative who is a voting member of the Academy. I kind of want to contact her to see what her thoughts are... And get inside scoop (like when apparently voters were not told to, but were nudged in the direction of voting for Heath Ledger for Dark Knight...)
  26. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

With all the surprises, I'm hoping against hope that this might be the year that no one movie "takes it all" and the prizes are awarded more evenly -- and more deservingly. The way voting is structured results in a "first past the post" rather than a "proportional representation" model iykwim. But to me there are different things about each movie that are stellar.

So, for example, something along these lines:

Director: Zeitlin (a lot of good things about Beasts but the directing is the standout imo)
    Film: tough call but either Pi, Argo, or Les Mis
    Actor: DDL (the best thing about the movie)
    Actress: Lawrence (since, of all the noms for this movie, she's the most deserving. plus she's awesome)
    Supporting Actor: Arkin
    Supporting Actress: Hathaway
    Original screenplay: Moonrise Kingdom (the very definition of "original"!)
    Adapted screenplay: another tough call, either Beasts, Pi, or Lincoln
  27. duane

duane New Member

I doubt that anyone gave a better performance in 2012 than Carmen Ejogo and Mike Epps in Sparkle. It's the only movie of 2012 that I saw, but their performances were awesome. ;)
  28. cruisin

Hathaway may also be getting a nod for 2009's Rachel Getting Married. I think that was her best performance (have not seen Les Mis yet, though). She nailed it in Rachel. She got a best actress nomination, but that year was just filled with amazing performances.
  29. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I was VERY glad to see Searching for Sugar Man getting a best documentary nomination. That is a great film.

I didn't see The Invisible War, which was also nominated for best documentary, but everyone I know who did see it thought it was excellent. I saw one of the director's earlier films (This Film Is Not Yet Rated) over the holidays, and it was *not* good, so I'm glad to see he has redeemed himself.
  30. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

The only thing I'm really surprised about is that Rise of the Guardians didn't get a Best Animated Feature nomination. I love that film, and I've heard some positive buzz about it, but I've no idea what critics think of it. But it's got 74% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes so at least it hasn't been completely written off...?
  31. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Rachel was good ... but I actually think one of her best performances to-date was in 2005 in Havoc. The film was only so-so, but Hathaway was superb.
  32. cruisin

Didn't see Havoc, I'll look for it. Thanks. I really do think she is a talented actress, especially with the right material.
  33. peibeck

Academy members are invited to screenings and get DVD copies of the movies sent to them. Plus "ZD30" has been in release in both LA and NYC for several weeks. The nation wide release is this weekend. There was just a NY Times article talking about some studios are gambling on sennding the DVDs later in hopes of the film being more "fresh" in the viewer's mind. Per the article the DVD screens for "ZD30" were sent in early December. The screeners for "Life of Pi" were sent late.

Of course, whether that has any real bearing on the Academy voters is strictly speculation.

I expect we may see some interesting post-mortem articles tomorrow about the nominations in the trades and bigger newspapers.
  34. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Ita cruisin: I would not be surprised if I was grinding my teeth in my sleep after watching her Rachel. She made me so uncomfortable and was so unsympathetic most of the time. I was impressed because I always had the goofy, princess picture of Anne.
  35. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Where to start:

I haven't seen 'Lincoln' or 'Zero Dark Thirty' but 'Argo' was my favorite film this year. I'm sad to see Affleck didn't get a director nom. It does also seem strange that Bigelow didn't get nominated for ZDT, the way that it's being swooned over.

I don't know about others, but 'Les Mis' has been promoted sooo much that I'm almost sick of it without having seen it, so I have no emotions about whether it was snubbed or not in the Director category.

Like others, I think 'Silver Linings Playbook' is getting a little too much love from the Academy. I saw it a couple of months ago. It was IMO "decent" and was indeed something more than a rom-com w/ extenuating circumstances. But, it was not worthy of a best picture nom! Jennifer Lawrence was the best part of the film and she is kind of an 'it girl' right now. She probably deserved a nom, but Bradley Cooper and the rest of the nominations weren't merited. I forgot about the film soon after seeing it.

'Django Unchained' was a revelation to me. I saw it over the holidays and it started an unexpected conversation about slavery between my partner and myself. I honestly didn't think I would like it (I disliked 'Inglorious Basterds'), but it stuck in my jaded mind.

I didn't see 'Life of Pi', and the previews didn't really interest me. But maybe it will be excellent.

Nice to see Sally Field (last nom in the 80s) and Helen Hunt (last nom in the 90s) re-emerge as nominees!!

I saw 'The Master' and the nominations for Joaquin Phoenix, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Amy Adams are spot-on, especially Joaquin's portrayal of a tortured soul made me downright squeamish. The actual film though was a little heavy ...It was like watching a Kira Ivanova LP. You kind of had to watch because the components that were 'on' were really good, but parts made you squirm, and other parts were boring / disinteresting - something was a little off generally speaking

Naomi Watts should win for 'The Impossible'. I saw it last weekend and she had to play a woman in a state of perpetual pain, so what could be more Oscar-worthy??
  36. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

I thought that was one of the worst films I've ever seen her in. :slinkaway
  37. cruisin

Maybe because you didn't like the character. There were times when she made me cringe, but she was supposed to. I know someone who went through a similar situation and she played it spot on. The family was a little wonky, but Hathaway (I thought) was really good.
  38. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

FSU has the best analogies anywhere, hands down. :lol:

I may be wrong -- I often am wrong about the Oscars -- but I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Lincoln take Director, Picture, Actor, and Screenplay. I just have a feeling . . .
  39. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Spin Alissa Spin!!!

That's part of my problem with the nomination process and awards shows.

Are they really nominating the best movies/best actors of the entire year?...Or are they nominating what the best PR agents and campaigns push for them to nominate?

I also don't believe children should be in best actor catagories. They should have their own "child actor" catagory.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  40. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

A character that's not only in perpetual pain but also is able to belt out a song in close-up, ie Ann Hatheway :)