Oscar Nominations

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by sk9tingfan, Jan 10, 2013.

1. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Interesting set of nominees and that the director of Les Miserables was passed over. Biggest darkhorse category IMO is Best Actress. Could Jennifer Lawrence or Jessica Chastain be the preferred choice? Loved Seth McFarlane's jokes. Such great Irreverence :p

2. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

This is might be the first time that the only two directors who were nominated for the Director's Guild Awards carried over to Oscar nominations (Lee and Spielberg). Usually, they have at least 4 directors carry over and sometimes 3. No Bigelow and Affleck were huge surprises as was the strong showing for Beasts of the Southern Wild. Hooper's lack of nomination for Les Miserables despite a DGA nod isn't as surprising. No Marion Cotillard who had a slew of prior nominations coming into Oscar is sort of a surprise as well. Maybe with Rivas getting in, the Academy couldn't have two French-speaking actresses in French-speaking roles nominated.

3. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Happy for Speilberg but bummed for Affleck.

4. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I never thought I'd say this, but Affleck wuzrobbed. Argo was one of the best movies I've seen recently, not just this year. Happy Alan Arkin got nominated, at least.

5. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Tom Hooper not getting a nomination doesn't shock me, Les Mis wasn't really a a great film. Affleck and Bigelow not being nominated absolutely shocks me, I thought they would be locks. Marion Cotillard not being nominated kind of stinks, I rather enjoy her. So glad for War Witch (Rebelle) They did absolutely great!

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  6. VIETgrlTerifa

I think Lincoln is clearly the front-runner for the Oscar now with Argo and Zero Dark Thirty being snubbed for Best Director. Life of Pi may upset, but Harvey Weinstein is backing Silver Linings Playbook and managed to get it nominated for the major awards (including all four acting categories - the first movie to do that since Reds in 1980). I have a feeling that if the Academy isn't feeling Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook may upset and win like Crash did years ago.

7. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Please don't remind me about Crash, I'm still bitter about that one... :blah:

8. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Hooper gets a DGA nod but not an Oscar one!? How often does something like that happen?

9. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

10. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

11. VIETgrlTerifa

There's usually at least one director that receives a Best Director nod from the DGA but not the Academy. However, to have three of them be different is very unusual. Bigelow and Affleck also received DGA nominations (and Golden Globes, BAFTA, and Broadcast Film Critics) with no Oscar nod.

Last year, David Fincher was nominated for Girl with a Dragon Tattoo, but his Oscar nomination ended going to Terrance Mallick for the Tree of Life.
    Two years ago, the Coen Brothers controversially took Christopher Nolan's Best Director nomination. IMO, they deserved to as I thought Inception was way overrated.

12. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

Thanks, that one is definitely better.

I haven't seen many of the movies, but am glad to see Skyfall got a nod for cinematography.

13. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

This makes Quvenzhané Wallis the youngest Best Actress nominee in history, right? I'm pretty sure the girl from Whale Rider held the record before, but she was 13, if I remember correctly?

I think, in that field, it is likely to go to either Jessica or Jennifer, though Watts could spoil. I think this is the 2nd nomination for all three as well, though Naomi might get the nod for having been both under-appreciated through the last decade (IMO) and having longevity. I really hope Jennifer wins though :shuffle: I just love her.

Supporting Actor is just packed. Holy crap.

14. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

More amazed at the omissions than the noms.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  15. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Did they cut back on the movies this year? Haven't they been nominating 10 the last few years?

16. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I think they only nominated 10 for one or two years, then changed it to an non-specific amount where each nominee had to get a certain number of votes to be included.

17. VIETgrlTerifa

michiruwater answered it before me. :D

BTW, sorry but I HATED Seth McFarlene's "humor" during the nomination presentation. I felt it was out-of-place and almost inappropriate. Yeah, I know that's his style, but I thought it was disrespectful for the occasion. Maybe it's his smugness I don't like. He looks like his ego is out of control.

18. cruisin

Ahh, I knew it was 10 for a while. I am relieved to know I am not having a senior moment :lol:. This method is better. When they nominate 10 films, some of them really should not be in the mix.

19. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

The snub of Affleck and Bigelow is truly surprising. I guess I need to see "Beasts of the Southern Wild" now. :lol:

"Lincoln," as expected, led the pack with 12 nominations.

Whee for "Life of Pi" with 11 nods and 8 for "Silver Linings Playbook"! :cheer2: These were my two favorite movies of the last year, I think.

The Academy definitely not feeling the love for "ZD30" or "Django" apparently.

20. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

The actress category has the youngest ever nominee and the oldest ever nominee!

I thought Zero Dark Thirty was a lock for Best Picture but now I'm not so sure.

21. cruisin

Do you think that is a reaction to the belief that some of the information (classified) was gotten improperly?

22. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

There had been the feeling that Beasts of the Southern Wild would get overlooked because it was released in the summer, so its four nominations are quite the accomplishment.

Silver Linings Playbook's nominations in all the acting categories leads me to believe that it could be 2nd choice to Lincoln for Best Picture at the moment.

Doesn't look like there was much love of Intouchables for foreign...

23. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

I think that's absolutely why they didn't do as well as expected to be quite frankly. I do expect Lincoln to be the runaway favorite now and clean up on Awards night.

I really hope Adele and Anne Hathaway win Oscars! Both are absolutely deserving winners. The rest I really don't care about, but Anne and Adele are the two I'm invested in this year.

24. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed Seth McFarlene. Perhaps it's because while I'm entertained by the Oscars, I don't think they are that serious (it's not like the Nobel Peace Prize).

I'm glad Tom Hooper didn't get a nomination, but too bad about Marion Cotillard. I had a chance to see Rust and Bone and she was breathtaking. Hope Sally Field or Amy Adams upsets Anne Hathaway who I thought was so self-indulgent in Les Mis. Also, very surprised about the Bigelow snub.

25. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Wow, when I didn't see Kathryn Bigelow's name for Director I definitely gasped. One of the biggest snubs in recent years!

26. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Utterly shocked about Affleck and Bigelow getting snubbed for director. Thrilled for the love shown to Beasts of the Southern Wild and Silver Linings Playbook. I still think Lincoln is the front runner for best pic though, and no way anyone but Daniel Day-Lewis is winning best actor. Best actress is quite the race! Chastain and Lawrence are the likely leaders but I'd love for Riva or Wallis to get it

27. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Anna Paquin won for The Piano at the age of 11.

28. falling_dance

falling_dance ToT Thread For Sale

She won in the Best Supporting Actress category, however. Tatum O'Neal was actually the youngest nominee for that award, winning for her performance in Paper Moon at age 10.

ETA: I heart trivia. :shuffle:

29. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

I never thought I'd say this, but Ben Affleck was completely robbed. IMHO, "Argo" was incredible.............

..............and although "Silver Linings Playbook" wasn't a lousy movie, I don't know if it deserved a nom in EVERY major category. :cheer2: for Jacki Weaver, though, she's fab!

I must admit that I enjoy when the Best Pic and Best Director noms aren't automatic match-ups. :watch: Makes it much more interesting. :)

30. duane

duane New Member

The "occasion"?