Oscar Nominations Announced

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Jenny, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 Well-Known Member

100 PERCENT AGREE!!!! Melissa Mcarthy made that movie for me. Wiig's character was just *so* shrill, whiny, and unbearable. It was a fun movie for what it was, but agreed with Beefcake that it was just clumsy overall. It was just a female ripoff of "The Hangover", a VASTLY superior film. IMHO Melissa derserves her nom for sure, but I'm :rofl: that it got nominated for anything else.

2. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I agree. I enjoy Clooney, but Brad Pitt, I think, has challenged himself more throughout his career and has picked more interesting roles. I would rather see both Michael Fassbender and Brad Pitt nominated over Clooney. I saw The Descendants and while I thought it was a fine film and Clooney was effective, the role did not seem that challenging for him.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I have also thought that Clooney is always playing Clooney. Either that or he always picks the same types of roles (with a few exceptions) and now that is how I think he is in real life. I just never see much risk or depth in his characters but I also think his movies are very boring and hardly ever (maybe never) go see them in theaters. I almost always wait to rent or catch it on cable.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

It wasn't until Up in the Air where I finally "got" Clooney. He is similar in many of his roles, but it's almost a throwback to Cary Grant or any of the classic Hollywood stars.

Btw, I loved Bridesmaids and I think Wiig and the film is really underrated (on this thread).

5. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I don't know. I haven't seen Moneyball, yet, so I can't comment on that. But I don't think I've ever really enjoyed Pitt. He comes across as fake to me. I've never left one of his movies thinking "Wow, he was fantastic!". Though I agree that he has picked more challenging roles than Clooney, I think Clooney comes across more natural than Pitt does, even if he tends to play himself.

6. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Interesting that you cite Cary Grant, who was often described as "just playing himself". "Cary Grant" was quite a bit different from Archie Leach (Mr. Grant's real name), from everything I have read about his life.

I would love even now to be talented enough to play "Cary Grant". :)

7. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I was under the impression that Paradise Lost 3 was considered a lock for the win. I would love Pina to win, but I think even if it weren't up against such a major contender it would be (sadly) unlikely for a documentary about modern dance to win.

8. BigB08822

I really want to see Paradise Lost 3!

9. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

I've seen the other two Paradise Lost films and have been waiting for what seems like forever to see the third installment. Given the events back in August with the court hearing and then with Echols, Baldwin, and Misskelley taking an Alford Plea that allowed them to be freed, the whole direction of the third movie ended up going in a completely different direction.

For those who aren't familiar with the case of the WM3, the first two Paradise Lost films are available for viewing on youtube. There is also a wealth of information about the case at WM3.org as well as wm3blackboard. Wikipedia has a detailed page about it (though as we know, it's not always the most factually accurate ;) ).

I started following this case pretty much from the beginning (having been a member of the punk/goth community), and was appalled and disgusted with how the case and the trial were dealt with (to say nothing about how the community of West Memphis, AR reacted and behaved through the whole ordeal).

10. LisaS

LisaS New Member

Brad Pitt was excellent in 12 Monkeys. If you haven't seen, I highly recommend.

11. BigB08822

I feel really stupid but I didn't realize Paradise Lost 3 was referring to a 3rd movie. I thought it had 3 in the title because 3 men were arrested. :shuffle: Now I have something to watch this weekend! This is the movie that Peter Jackson got attached to, right?

12. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I remember when there was so much talk about the Oscar competition between Morgan Freeman and Tom Cruise and then Daniel Day Lewis won. I wonder if all of the Clooney and Pitt talk might be premature considering the other three candidates.

13. BigB08822

Well I don't know if the other candidates are so much of a risk as much as Clooney and Pitt may split votes.

14. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

I hope A separation wins the best oscar for foreign language, I just love Iranian movies. I am now officially a fan of Leila Hatami :swoon:

15. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I haven't seen The Descendants so I might change my mind after I see it, but I'm rooting for Jean Dujardin. He was wonderful in The Artist.

16. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I believe Jackson and Fran Walsh watched the first Paradise Lost film years after it came out and subsequently became involved in the case. They have their own documentary about it called West of Memphis, which recently premiered at Sundance. Damien Echols and his wife, Lorri Davis, also served as producers for West of Memphis.

17. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I finally saw Moneyball. I thought it was really good, but I don't get the Jonah Hill nomination. The entire movie I kept thinking how much Bradd Pitt is looking more and more like Robert Redford.

I really liked The Descendants. (I thought George Clooney did a very good job and wasn't the same as other characters he has played.) I would have nominated the actress who plays the oldest daughter over Jessica Chastain. But, I'm really glad that both Octavia Spencer and Melissa McCarthy got nominated.

I'm also glad to see Demian Bichir get some love. I thought he was so good in A Better Life.

The Artist and Iron Lady are next on my list of movies to see.

18. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Really? In my neck of the woods no one mentioned Morgan Freeman at all; all the talk was about Daniel Day Lewis and Tom Cruise. I was not all surprised that DDL won.

19. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I watched it last night and I loved it. And George Clooney was great in it.

There are two of his performances that I flat out adore now: Up in The Air, and The Descendants.

He's done good.

20. BigB08822

Thanks, this is the movie I want to see. I did watch the first 2 Paradise Lost films on youtube. I think the 3rd one is on youtube as well.

21. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I remember leaving "Thelma and Louise" asking WHO was that? I loved him in that film. And I know I was not the only one asking.

My elderly mother loves old Hollywood and of course has made the Cloony/ Cary Grant connection. But she also believes Matt Damon is well on his way to being as beloved as Jimmy Stewart. I like Damon but that is one tall order. As for Pitt and old Hollywood---Warren Beatty?

22. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Brad Pitt has been pretty in many of his films. However, I'm not sure there is one role of Pitt's that Edward Norton couldn't have done a far superior job. Maybe "A River Runs Through It"?

Eden and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Agree on all counts: Whoever played that role had to be physically mesmerizing imho. I love what his father said about him at the end. But sometimes pretty is okay with me. I look at Warren Beatty in "Heaven Can Wait" and think he was perfectly cast.

24. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Norton wouldn't have generated any heat playing against Jolie in "Mr. and Mrs. Smith". Also, can you picture Norton playing the Greek warrior Achilles in "Troy" ?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  25. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

No on "Troy" but maybe with Jolie. I don't know your ages but I distinctly remember some contest years ago (1980's) where men voted Cindy Crawford sexiest tv personality and women voted Patrick Stewart as sexiest. One a supermodel and the other a short, older, bald man. But I agreed with the choice. I don't think Norton has to be sexy but is good enough an actor to play sexy. Does that make sense?

26. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

You just have to get him into the right sexy role. Norton was very steamy with Naomi Watts in The Painted Veil, which was a period piece set in China. I'm hard pressed to think of any other sexy roles he's had, though.

Brad Pitt has that strapping handsome hunk thing going on, even though he's taken a lot of unusual roles, while Edward Norton has more of a everyman, intellectual vibe.

27. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

When you say "short, older, bald man" my first image is that of someone like Danny DeVito :lol:. Patrick Stewart IS very sexy. The commanding voice, the piercing eyes...Beam me up, Captain Picard :hat1:

I'm sure Norton can play romantic lead, but he has kind of a weasily face that casting directors don't automatically think of him first for such type of roles.

28. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Oddly enough I like his nose. And I'm glad to read your opinion of Patrick Stewart.

29. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I have seen Patrick Stewart twice on stage (MacBeth in NYC and Waiting for Godot in London), and he has a commanding presence and he seems tall. I find him very attractive and he will always be my favorite Star Trek captain.

30. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Mine too. That was one great casting decision.