Oscar Nominations Announced

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Jenny, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Yes, that's what I meant.

2. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

:mad:

NOOOOO!!!! If that happened, these performances would not have received the acclaim they deserved (and this is just the acting categories):

Marion Cotillard (La Vie en Rose)
    Christoph Waltz (Inglorious Basterds)
    Penélope Cruz (Volver...or Vicky Cristina Barcelona)
    Catalina Sandino Moreno (Maria Full of Grace)
    Fernanda Montenegro (Central Station)
    Roberto Benigni (Life Is Beautiful)
    Catherine Deneuve (Indochine)
    Graham Greene (Dances With Wolves)
    Isabelle Adjani (Camille Claudel...or The Story of Adele H.)
    Sophia Loren (Two Women...or Marriage Italian-Style)

That's up to the academy voters to be aware of what's released each year and to nominate the best, regardless of language/country of origin. (And it's up to studios to make people aware of their movies.)

3. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Um...Dances With Wolves was not a foreign-language film. Or even a foreign film. In fact it won the regular old Best Picture Oscar. Just because a few performances were only in Lakota doesn't make the entire movie eligible. That's like saying the fact there's no dialogue for long stretches makes "Jeremiah Johnson" a silent movie.

I think DiCaprio got passed over because, in general, J. Edgar just wasn't well-recevied. (Now, that doesn't explain how a movie everyone seems to despise, Extremely Loud.... got a best picture nod.)

4. soxxy

soxxy Guest

What a great list, Peter. I'd also like to add Liv Ullmann's nominations for The Emigrants and Face to Face and Ingrid Bergman for Autumn Sonata. Oh, and Valentina Cortese for Day for Night.

5. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I've read that Streep isn't even that good in The Iron Lady. :shuffle:

Also Janet McTeer!!!!! :cheer2: although Octavia Spencer deservedly has that category tied up in a little bow. I'm just happy McTeer was nominated, her performance was brilliant.

Echoing the yays for McCarthy, Wiig and Oldman. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy was nominated for adapted screenplay as well.

HUGE snub for Madonna. :EVILLE:

I'm bummed the song from Albert Nobbs wasn't nominated (was it only over the end titles?), but that could mean they didn't feel the need to give Close a conciliatory Oscar 'cause she's gonna win Best Actress :D

6. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Maybe she sent nanoprobes to the eligible Streep-Borg voters and reprogrammed them (like older Janeway infected the Borg queen in the finale of Star Trek: Voyager). ;)

I would love to see Glenn Close win, and I have a feeling that Ms. Streep might be one of the first to congratulate her. They have acted together before in film in "The House of the Spirits", and their careers are remarkably similar (though GC has done more TV and stage than MS).

They even seem to me to have a certain down-to-earthness about themselves (could be acting, of course, but I like to think not).

7. Vash01

I don't think you understood my post. I am not against foreign actors; I am referring to movies that are in other languages. All these movies you mentioned, except La Vien Rose and Life is Beautiful are in English (I don't know about Camille Claudel). You even included Dances with wolves which is very much in English. :rolleyes:I am saying that movies that are not in English should be under the foreign language film category, and those should not be included in the best actor/best screenplay, etc. because there is no way to be perfectly fair, as many deserving foreign language performances that are not as well known are most probably denied.

So I will stick with my opinion that no matter how good these nominated performances in foreign language (not foreign born actors) are, they should not be included in other categories. Yes, it will be disappointing to not see Marion C. or Roberto Benigni or Bardem in the best actor category, unless they are in an English language film, but it will be more fair overall.

8. Vash01

IMO Leo did not get the nomination because J. Edgar really was not a good movie. It should not affect the nom, but when the field is so competitive, it happens.

I saw Extremely loud and was deeply touched by it, so I don't understand "everyone seems to despise..." statement. I have read some very negative criticisms of it- some don't like it because it relates to 9/11, or because there is a child as the main character, or whatever. Except for the first 20 minutes or so, when I did not figure out where the movie was going, it is a good movie. Still I was pleasantly surprised that it got the BP nomination.

9. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov Well-Known Member

This.

For years it's been hard (well nearly impossible) for any comedy film or actor to be recognized at the Oscars and I do like Melissa McCarthy in general but I'm not really feeling the love as far as her being nominated for Bridesmaids. :shuffle:

I feel as if the Academy is trying to bring in younger viewers (the Rooney Mara nomination as well) and some misguided support of "girl power!" Bridesmaids reminds me of the Judd Apatow films and while they may indeed be funny they don't exactly have the makings of a classic film that should be recognized as one of the best.

I am happy and surprised to see Gary Oldman nominated and surprised that Angelina didn't get a nod for her film.

10. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I am thrilled for Gary Oldman. He deserves and Oscar and has deserved one for many years. My friend and I were just talking about how he deserved one, on Saturday. I'm disappointed Melancholia didn't receive a nomination, and also apparently Shame should have been nominated(I haven't seen it yet, but intend to).

11. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

it'll be interesting the see if the nominated films will change distribution roll-out strategies, as some of the films that ended up being shortlisted were already retracting a large number of screens this past week before the nominations were announced.

12. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

While I thought Fassbender and Mulligan were both good, I really felt that movie was a pretentious piece of crap without one iota of understanding about sexual addiction.

ITA, this is a much better pick than DiCaprio in "J Edgar," and I think even shakes up the race a bit.

What is a Streep borg? :confused: Obviously it hasn't been too successful in helping her win in her last 14 attempts. :p I still say the race is between Davis and Streep. The SAGS will be telling.

13. RomyNL

RomyNL Well-Known Member

The Warrior is a fantastic film, one of the little gems overlooked by general audience IMO, a much better boxing film than The fighter

14. RomyNL

RomyNL Well-Known Member

That didn't stop Meryl Streep from being nominated for a role in a film getting less than average reviews everywhere

15. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Not according to the majority of critics. Rotten Tomatoes has it at 76% positive reviews. (ie 140 critics out of 188 liked it) That's pretty good.

If YOU didn't like it, it doesn't mean it sucked.

I didn't see it, I have no opinion on its merits.

Andora and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Vash01

You can't really compare Leo with Meryl Streep. :lol:

17. Vash01

You are making the same mistake as PeterG. I am not against foreign actors; just foreign language films- and I am not against them; they deserve their own category, but other noms need to be for English language films (or mainly English; occasionally you do hear the actors speaking German/Russian, etc. but only in a few scenes). Actually, in general, the foreign language movies are much better than many Hollywood blockbusters.

18. emason

emason Well-Known Member

You keep insisting that the other film noms should be for English language films, but why? What's the rationale? I really don't see one; a good film is a good film and deserving of a nom no matter what language it's in.

pat c and (deleted member) like this.
  19. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Could a rationale be that the voting body doesn't really know the language so they don't really know the performance? They know the translation of the words but not like they know English straight off?

20. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

A good actor is a good actor. They (the voting body) should be able to tell the difference, but then I think they vote with their chequebook. Just saying.........;) I on the other hand, perhaps can't tell the difference and it doesn't matter to my chequebook.

21. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Everyone I know who has seen it did NOT like it. The general complaint was that there were too many action sequences, at the expense of things like plot and character development.....

22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It's great to see "The Artist" getting so many nominations. Oscars usually are a total joke so it's really refreshing to see a good, arty film rewarded.

For the most part it's box office trash, as usual.

Tilda Swinton not nominated is an outrage and calls for self-immolation. :drama:

If Meryl Streep will get an Oscar for that abortion of a film, I'll gag. :scream:

What normally is the only interesting category at the Oscars, Foreign Language Film, is really predictable this year.

"A Seperation" should easily win, based on its universal critical acclaim and the tons of awards it got already.

Although given it's muppets like Beyonce voting, who knows. I somehow doubt that she has an interest in New Iranian Cinema (she should because it's amazing). :D

"Pina" has to win. It's an incredible masterpiece. :swoon:

They needed him to attend. :p

Although as Vash01 said, he deserved it for "Tree of Life" anyhow.

Oh, what a shame. :EVILLE:

What Jenny said. It's going to be on her upcoming album MDNA so it wasn't eligible.

I totally agree with you on somebody being nominated for "Bridemaids" being :rolleyes: but hasn't Rooney Mara's performance received a lot of critical acclaim?

Hopefully "The Artist" will get a proper, general release now. :)

I have no opinion of the film either but Rotten Tomatoes gathers all available reviews, the vast majority of which are worth as much as marks handed out at Canadian and Russian Nationals. ;)

23. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, Camille Claudel, Volver, Indochine, Central Station and Maria Full of Grace are in French, Spanish, French, Portuguese and Spanish (with a little English), respectively.

I think the academy should definitely consider foreign language performances and scripts in their nominations. I don't understand how excluding them makes things more "fair". Sometimes, a foreign film gets noticed by chance more than anything and if an actor has a chance to have a bigger career out of luck, I say more power to him/her.

I bet there are great performances in American and British films that never get noticed and never get nominations. That's not fair either, but it's the way it is.

I don't think we should be against having a handful of actors in foreign films who, sometimes by chance, make an impact in the Oscar race. It's much better for foreign films in general when someone gets recognized in any of the other categories. And I, for one, tend to love foreign films.

24. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I believe under an older system the Academy used, the film would be nominated for foreign film one year, then the actors, directors, writers, etc. would be eligible the next year.

25. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Good memory, that sounds right. Ingrid Bergman "complains" about it in her (gracious) acceptance speech for Murder on the Orient Express:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky5sW4no_cg

26. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

So thrilled for Gary Oldman and Bret McKenzie!! Way long overdue for Oldman and as a LOTR fan who got to know Bret through his participation there and then w/Flight of the Conchords...So wonderful that such a talented guy is getting an Oscar Nom. :D

Also happy for Melissa McCarthy. While I won't be watching Bridesmaids as it's not my kind of comedy, I do really love her in whatever I've seen her in. To repeat myself in a way...So wonderful that such a talented lady is getting an Oscar Nom. :D

I'd love to see Glenn *finally* get an Oscar, but I also think it's Meryl's. Could care less about Best Actor as I'm so tired of George Clooney playing himself and getting rave reviews for his "acting" and the same goes for Brad Pitt. That's just me, but if you want to throw some rotten fruit or veg my way... ;)

No Madonna nomination for Best Song? Excuse me while I head over the corner in order to laugh myself silly over that one. :D

And for those lamenting the no Nomination for Michael Fassbender. I'm a Viggo Mortensen fan. I say this w/sadness, but welcome to our club. :(

I'll be pulling for The Artist on Oscar Night, as it's beyond fantastic to see this little movie that I'm guessing no one thought would do anything, get all of the buzz and recogiztion it's getting. Plus, I want to see that adorable Jack Russell up on the stage w/them again. :D

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  27. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

You sound like you love the sinner, but not the sin. :p ;)

28. Vash01

Again, you are missing my point. I am not talking about the film; I am talking about awards other than the foreign film award- like best actor, best screenplay, as examples. I already explained the rationale in my original post- there are just too many foreign language films to pick up the best actor/actress/screenplay/anything else from. Only a few get the visibility to be nominated for those awards, so it is unfair to all the others that had great performances but they did not get the visibility just because the film was not among the top. That is the rationale- pick from a smaller pool (English language only) when they give a few token awards to non-English speaking movie actors/writers, etc. They are essentially ignoring other great performances by doing that. How do you know a great performance in a foreign language film only occurs once in 3-4 years? How do you know that only one film in 10 years has a good enough screenplay to compete with an English language screenplay? It's a matter of being fair to the whole world that makes movies in other languages.

I have no problem with foreign language films; I actually like them better than the cheap stuff Hollywood puts out. They do get their awards- for best foreign film, and I have no problem with it. I try to see all those that got the nominations, because I know there is a good chance of them being good.

29. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Only Fassbender is actually a good actor, whilst Mortensen is appalling. :p

30. Vash01

It can't be fair unless they are considering all the films made worldwide, and all the performances in them, and that pool is just too big to make that determination, with just 5 spots available. Are you willing to give all the best actor nominations (for example) to 4 foreign language movies and just one in English? That won't happen, ever.

I never said anything against foreign films; I have already said I like them better than most Hollywood films, so you don't need to tell me how good they are.