Oscar Nominations Announced

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Jenny, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I'm so glad Berenice Bejo was nominated even though she totally was NOT a supporting actress. She gave a remarkable performance and deserved some sort of recognition.

2. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I'm more worried about the pompously smug, pretentiously self-serving acceptance speech he'll make if he wins.

3. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Also only 9 for Best Picture (10 last year) and 4 for Art Direction (it's always been 5 as long as I can remember).

4. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

My fear is it will be more jokey and insiderish. He is so well connected, and known for his goofy sense of humour and love of practical jokes, so I'd expect something less than suitable for the occasion.

5. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I don't know that Octavia Spencer would be my pick for best supporting actress (I'd go for Berenice Bejo from this group), but she still won at the Golden Globes with Chastain in the mix, so I'm thinking that it won't significantly split the votes. However, I think back to win everyone was sure the race was between Cate Blanchette in I'm Not There and Amy Ryan in Gone Baby Gone and Tilda Swinton ended up winning for Michael Clayton.

I actually thought Shailene Woodley was deserving of a nomination in this category.

6. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

That is what I mean by smug, I guess.

7. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Demián Bichir in "A Better Life"

Has anyone seen this movie and this performance? I think this must be from a foreign language film.

I prefer that the foreign language films be left alone (to compete for their category- best foreign language film) and not included in other nominations like best actor, screenplay, etc. are announced. We see an occasional nomination from a foreign film in those categories. Who is to know there were not other equally great (or greater) performances from other foreign language films?

This year quite possibly Michael Fassbender was robbed because of that, in the best actor category, and quite possibly someone missed out on the best screenplay because 'The separation'- a foreign language film was included.

8. Wyliefan

ABC Family probably paid someone off. If the girl got an Oscar nom, she'd probably be off their crappy teen drama so fast it'd make your head spin. :lol:

9. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

IMO Brad deserved a nomination for 'Tree of life' (I hated the movie), rather than for Moneyball (I liked the movie). It seems the academy went for the bigger box office success.

Jessica Chastain was great in playing two very different roles in Tree of life and Help, and I think that nabbed the nom for her.

This was the strongest year for leading ladies I have ever seen. So many outstanding performances! Someone had to be denied, and it happened to be Tilda Swinton. I have read raves about her acting in 'we have to talk about Kevin'

I am thrilled for Rooney Mara for her Oscar nom at such a young age. She was excellent.

I saw 'extremely loud...' on the spur of the moment last Fri. as I was driving home, and thought it was pretty good (I cried in it, which does not happen very often). I am happy that it got the best picture nomination, along with a best supporting actor nom. It's getting some undeserved criticism.

10. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

It's in English. However, last year's nominee Javier Bardem's Biutiful was in Spanish.

11. RomyNL

RomyNL Well-Known Member

No Fassbender and no Di Caprio in best male?

Shame

Also, I was hoping to see Shame (non-PC?), Carnage (because of Polanski?) and We need to talk about Kevin in Best Picture category...

I don't understand all this love for The Help, boring and full of clichees IMO

I usually like Woody Allen's movies, but Midnight in Paris was like a travelogue for rich Americans preparing a long-awaited post-retirement trip to Paris

12. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Echoing the cheers for Melissa McCarthy! :cheer: Her turn hosting SNL was a hoot too! She is sooo fabulously talented.
    ...and :cheer2: Kristin Wiig for Original Screenplay! I'm so glad these two and Bridesmaids are getting recognition.

13. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Another snub - and I understand she campaigned long and hard for it - is Angelina Jolie's In the Land of Blood and Honey. As director/writer/producer she was hoping for a nomination for Best Foreign Language Film.

Maybe she should have done something in English, because historically, Oscar often awards actors who direct.

14. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

The producers of A Better Life obviously had a good performance but that was not enough so they campaigned to the Academy about supporting illegal immigrants as residents of the US - no arizona type immigration laws and all that. It's a liberal group in its politics so it was totally right up their alley and the factor of good peformance and liberal politics - like the movie Milk about gay rights got Bichir the nomination.

Cornfed likes this.
  15. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

^^^^^THIS!!!^^^^^

And though I'm thrilled for Oldman FINALLY receiving a nomination this---plus Fassbender's lack of nomination---just illustrates the point that they need to open up the categories for more nominations. They did it for Best Picture. Now do it for everyone else. I will bet that Fassbender's nomination numbers were oh so close to the other five; ridiculous to ignore his performance in "Shame."

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  16. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Ah, I'm torn. I'm :cheer: about comedy getting some Oscar nom love.

But, c'mon, if you swapped out the genders of all the cast in Bridesmaids, you'd have had :shuffle: the EXACT SAME sophomoric rowdy, bawdy, horny-males-going-wild-but-eventually-learning-lessons movie that we've all seen dozens of times. Hey, it's "The Hangover II" as it should have been done! Melissa would have received the same begrudging kudos (but only a GG nom) as the Vince Vaughns of the world, and the screenplay's nomination would have come in the MTV Movie Awards versus the Academy Awards.

pollyanna and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:blah: The excrement that was "Kung Fu Panda II" nominated over anything. Even more reason to wuzrob "... Tin Tin", even though I've not seen the latter yet.

:confused: So weird, re: just the two original song nominations.
    :watch: Elton's and/or David's impending comments on this situation.

ETA :p:
    Er, I saw "Shame" (loved it!), but I certainly didn't see a little Fassbender. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2012
  18. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Didn't even notice that! One wonders if after the Golden Globes, the Academy decided to reduce the nominees to two to avoid Furnish's :drama: or Madonna having another opportunity to give a Best Picture acceptance speech for Best Song.

Mind you, now we'll likely be subjected to Jason Segal, Jesse Eisenberg, Anne Hathaway and Jamie Foxx singing during the broadcast :scream:

19. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Bardem also got a nomination in the past for the movie with ocean or sea in its title; he played a quadriplegic in it. It was an awesome performance, but it was in Spanish. No matter how brilliant he is, I think there must have been other performances in other languages that were brilliant but were not nominated. Same about the Brazilian actress that was nominated for a best lead actress (why all this love for Brazil?). The pool becomes too big when they pick someone from a non-English movie. IMO it will be more fair when the boundaries are clearly defined, and not just occasionally broken.

20. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

wow, that is a refreshing list of nominees!

I'm sorry for Leonardo DiCaprio, Michael Fassbender and Shailene Woodley (and to a lesser extent Tilda Swinton - but mostly because I want to see her amazing fashion sense on display on Oscars night)...but some very nice surprises! :cheer2:

Also just a strong year overall. I think George Clooney will win (and he was fantastic in The Descendants...and I love his acceptance speeches), but I would really really love for Jean Dujardin to pull off an upset. I also want The Artist to win Best Picture :inavoid:

So torn for Best Actress - Viola Davis was amazing, but I would love Glenn Close to get an Oscar. Would be especially nice for her to win for a project that she's carried from stage show to screen over decades. I notice she didn't get a song nom tho ;) (and THANK TPTB that neither Elton John nor Madonna were nominated!)

the only film I've seen from the Supporting Actor list is Beginners - I think Christopher Plummer has this one in the bag, but I'd like to see some of the other films. I heard that both Nick Nolte and Max von Sydow were great, but their films haven't been on my must-see list :shuffle:

Is it Oscar night yet?!?! :glamor:

21. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Isn't there some sort of restriction on the best song qualification? It can't be added on to the end while the credits role, or something like that? I think that's what hurt Brokeback Mountain. It was winning best song at most of the other award shows, but wasn't even nommed for the Oscar.

What happened to Madonna's song she won a Globe for this year?

22. Wyliefan

I read that wrong, and thought, "When was there a category for Best Movie with Ocean or Sea in Its Title??"

:eek:

23. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Thought I heard something about that too. Another rule is that the song cannot appear on another CD - which is why Springsteen's song for The Wrestler was not nominated. He chose to put it on his own CD rather than go for the nomination (and since he already has an Oscar, why not).

ETA - here's an extract for the official rules (my bold):

24. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I don't see it as a snub. Jolie made a small and difficult film that few people in
    America will see. The film also wasn't universally praised, so I don't think there was any big expectation that it would be nominated.

She did film a version of LOBAH in English.

25. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I'm shocked to see that! Awesome!

26. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

He was not nominated for that though it did win foregin film.

27. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

We've got a sizable group. Let's picket the MPAA ;)

28. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Except by Angelina :p

29. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

I'm glad to see A Separation was nominated for foreign film. I'm surprised it's also nominated for best original sceenplay as well. Is that what you were talking about, Vash, about not having foreign films in the other categories? I didn't realize that happened.

30. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Because it sucked?