Oscar Nominations Announced

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Jenny, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  2. Autumm_wind

Autumm_wind New Member

Gary Oldman in "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" ... about damn time!

And thanks Jenny

3. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

^Actually, I can't believe that they kept Michael Fassbender off the Best Actor list for 'Shame'. That was one of the most riveting performances I've ever seen

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

Gary Oldman!!!!!!!!!

Way overdue, IMO. He's one of my favorites.

I'm also thrilled beyond belief for Demian Bichir. He started in Mexican soap operas and has come such a long way. Love him.

5. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Really happy for Gary Oldman (agree with the "about time!").

I was thrilled to see "Paradise Lost 3" in the Documentary list -- would love to see Berlinger and Sinofsky win.

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 New Member

Yay Melissa McCarthy!!!! It's rerfreshing to see someone recognized for an outstanding comedic performance :cheer2:

7. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Good for Melissa - she was very funny in that movie!

I want Glenn Close to win Best Actress, but I think the Streep borg will prevent it. Resistance is futile.

8. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

I must admit, I didn't like Bridesmaids much, not my kind of humor, but Melissa McCarthy was hilarious in it. I too am happy she was recognized.

9. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Not sure how many people saw A Better Life, but some might recognize Best Actor nominee Demián Bichir as Esteban Reyes, Nancy's super hot Mexican drug lord lover in Weeds. He's a huge star in Mexico.

10. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. :) Glenn Close has been nominated 5 times and has never won, so maybe it's her turn?

I love this quote by her:

I've often been mistaken for Meryl Streep, although never on Oscar night.

We'll see how it plays out this time.

11. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Indeed. All her previous noms were in the 1980s, so maybe Oscar will be nostalgic and tell her they want her back on the big screen? Meryl's challenge is that she's so good, everyone assumes she will be nominated again and there will be another chance.

12. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

A good argument could be made for all the best actress nominees. To me, it's one of the best represented categories.

13. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

:respec: Melissa McCarthy. So glad it's not just dramatic performances.

14. mila19

mila19 New Member

Wah, no Michael Fassbender in the list :fragile:. Out of the nominees I've seen just Brad Pitt's Moneyball and I really can't see all the fuss about it and I <3 Brad Pitt usually.

15. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I was not expecting "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close" to be in the running for BP at all. Uh Oh ... it could be this year's Blind Side.

I'm rooting for Pitt in BA category.

16. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

How on earth did Tin-Tin not get a nomination for best animated film!?!?! Or does motion capture not qualify? That is just bizarre.

17. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Good for Bridesmaids. It got an Original Screenplay nomination as well!

Which film received the most nominations?

ETA: Hugo 11, The Artist 10

18. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Michael Fassbender being left off is horrible in my opinion. His was the best male performance I saw this year. I'm surprised Albert Brooks got snubbed in Supporting Actor. I hope Christopher Plummer takes the Oscar there though because I thought his performance in Beginners was sublime.

Even though I can't say I was a fan of Bridesmaids like most people, I'm really happy to see Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy take home nominations (for writing and acting respectively).

19. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

I hope Dujardin will win but I fear it's gonna be Clooney. Pffffffff :(

20. flutzilla1

flutzilla1 Well-Known Member

:lynch: :mitchell: Fassbender so wuzrobbed.

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  21. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

... so was little Fassbender.

22. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Totally agree, and he was brilliant. I just wish the film had got a Best Picture nomination.

23. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

:( He really was brilliant. I can't believe he didn't get nominated.

24. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Jonah hill??? Really????

And I can't believe brad Pitt was nominated for moneyball over fassbender. I would've been fine had it been for tree of life because he was very good there, but moneyball?? It was an ok performance for a roll that didn't require much acting skill. Don't get it.

Also don't get Jessica chastain for the help. She was over the top and annoying.

And it's not too often that the leading ladies catagory looks better than the leading men's :respec:

25. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I don't get Jonah Hill over Albert Brooks at all. I haven't seen Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close yet because I love the book and I don't want the image of those characters to be Sandra Bullock and Tom Hanks in my head :) So, I don't know about Van Sydow being nominated.

Chastain was fine in The Help, but she was actually great in both Tree of Life and Take Shelter and I wish her nomination had come from one of those films.

Best Actress is the strongest of the 4 acting categories for me by far.

26. pilgrimsoul

pilgrimsoul Active Member

I feel bad that Leonardo di Caprio did not get an Oscar nod for J. Edgar, but am very glad Gary Oldman finally received one.

27. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I hope so. I'm crazy about Glenn.

28. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Only two Original Song nominees?!? Why?!?! Although I am thrilled to bits that Bret from Flight of the Conchords now might get an Oscar :cheer2:

I hope that if there are just two nominees, both of them will get full performances at the awards ceremony. That short-excerpt format last year was lame.

29. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Worse, she might split the "The Help" vote in Supporting Actress with the more deserving Octavia Spencer.

REALLY pulling for Gary "Overdue" Oldman, but I have a nasty feeling it's Clooney's year and some voters will use Tinker Tailor being a remake as an excuse.

Best Picture, I'm sure neither is considered serious enough to win but I'm torn between Hugo and War Horse. I refuse to see "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" for the same reason I won't watch United 93.

Look on the bright side, overedge, two songs means fewer ill-advised musical numbers to sit through.

I thought I heard there was some dispute over Tintin qualifying as animated, which is bizarre as motion-capture has been considered animation before (though Avatar was a majority motion-capture and was considered live-action.) Goes with the Andy Serkis-related debate over whether there should be a new category for actors giving motion-capture performances or if they should be considering in the acting categories. (If they make a new one I vote it be called the "Andy Serkis Got Screwed Out of Oscars For Lord of the Rings" Memorial Academy Award.)

30. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Muppets for the win! :D ;) If they get Jim Parsons in there to sing/lip sync his bit, this will officially be the best. Oscars. Ever.