Orser takes it to another level

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by amaro, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bek

bek Guest

But the fact is that she had reporters in her face ready to ask her and she said no. The thing is the idea that Yu-na had no reasons for wanting the relationship to end is ridiculous. Good or bad she likely had her reasons. I highly doubt it would be in Orser's interest for Yu-na to go into all the nitty gritty details to justify to the world why she dumped him. And saying things like "yeah the rumor about the skater, and things weren't perfect between us." Is hardly given real reasons why the break up happened.

When relationships break up its hardly one persons fault or the other. I'm inclined to think Brian is still a great coach, but just not very experienced in handling the break ups.

It seems what may show up tommorrow is fallout from Yu-na's music being revealed. Supposedly there's an article in Korean with a statement from David Wilson about it. It seems David is very angry that Orser did this without even talking to him. This could get very messy. And it goes to show why even if you are the injured party its still a good idea to think before you speak.

2. lakewood

lakewood Active Member

Orser didn't simply announce the split but he added his story. YuNa's side responed it wasn't true. YuNa wasn't angry at all at this stage, but then came Orsers tribune intervew that heavily criticizes her mom.

3. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

The quote at the end of that last interview isn't a threat .He's saying that Coaches , costumers, etc are people and those people need time to make changes in their schedules and plans .Both those examples are of people who are not only trading on their expertise, but their time...a person can only coach so many students in a day, design , find fabrics and make so many costumes...if you don't turn up, don't let them know you no longer want their services, etc., you're preventing them from taking on another client.

Brian has not said this ,but I'm saying it .It seems to me that much of the trouble comes from ATS's attitude toward the people they've retained..they treat them like hired help, instead of like professionals.:(

4. Moxie

Moxie New Member

Tony Wheeler's blog (and I don't know how reliable he is) said she avoided interacting with him this summer at the rink. Then there's the issue of the ignored emails and not addressing the issue when he asked to her face what was going on.

I don't condone his present actions, but I can understand his confusion that she just shut down all communication after working closely together for 4 years. Especially since she said in the Spring that she wasn't going to switch coaches and even mentioned that she might switch to assisting him in coaching if she decided to stop competing.

5. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

He added his detailed story after ATS claimed that he was the one who broke it off with them and it came to a surprise to them. Which we all know by now (since it has been verified by both sides) isn't the truth .

I think he should've backed off a bit and I think he was too forthcoming with some of the details, but I think Orser went on the defensive which included a big offense. And I do think he was justified in explaining his side of the story if ATS was trying to pin the break up on him initially.

6. galaxy

galaxy Active Member

No, she isn't and she never was. She wants to live and train in Nagoya, and she needs to stay there for several reasons as posted in another thread.
    She has been consistently searching for a Japanese coach, who she can communicate with in Japanese language.

7. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Maybe Yu-Na wanted to just try working alone without Orser for a few weeks/months before making an official decision as to whether or not she wanted to still be coached by him. It seemed so strange that Orser would publicly announce this split on his own rather than releasing a joint statement with Yu-Na... Maybe this is why Yu-Na's side is trying to claim that Orser is the one who actually made this decision to split.

I'm confusing myself just thinking about this. Neither side of this drama seems to know what the hell is really going on, so how could any of us understand it either? This whole thing seems like a HUGE misunderstanding that could have been prevented with better communication from everyone. The worst part is that deep down, Yu-Na and Brian probably have a lot of care and respect for each other. If all of these people would just sit down and clear up the misunderstandings and finally issue a joint statement, Yu-Na wouldn't have to be crying at practice. This is all just sad.

8. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

Yu-Na not talking to Brian in person to announce the split doesn't surprise me. When I taught the piano I had a few pupils stop, and even when it was expected they seemed to find telling me a very traumatic experience. There were plenty of tears and embarassment. Often, even the older pupils would come accompanied with their parents to bear the bad news, and some would simply send their parents instead.

In my relatively short career I never experienced anyone asking to change teachers, but I can imagine that is even more uncomfortable.
    It seems Orser has little experience in that department if he expected Yu-Na to phone him and tell him in person... That pretty much never happens! It seems parents are nearly always in the frontline in these circumstances, acting as a cushion of protection for their child. Even if their child is an adult!

This is not so say Yu-Na acted with class and dignity during the whole episode, far from it. :drama:
    But I can see that Orser hinting that Yu-Na's mum was the cause of the split was not a good move.

9. VIETgrlTerifa

Didn't he offer up that time all summer? He said to let him know if he had to put away time for her and let her have space. Then he had to find out all of her skating plans for the season on the internet as opposed to from her. Then August 2 happened when Meehee Park essentially fired him and Wilson.

A few weeks later with no announcement and some confusion at Cricket Club, he finally decides to make it public knowing that you can't keep a break up between a highly publicized coach and skater secret.

10. euneri

euneri New Member

a little off topic, but I hope Yuna transfers all the emotion that she's experienced from this ordeal as well as the emotion thats just welled up, into her Arirang LP. that would be awesome to watch, since Arirang requires a mature, deep level of emotion that's brought about by hurt, pain, disappointment and (i think) moving forward.

as for Orser's latest interview, as much as i like the guy, i really think its best he shuts up now. I think he's had enough to say, maybe too much and its time for him to just build a bridge and get over it.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  11. lakewood

lakewood Active Member

Simply not true. Orser was treated with the highest respect not only by ATS but by whole Korea. He directed all YuNs shows and appreaed in commercials with YuNa. Don't forget that YuNa and Orser already had rocky a few months. Orser admitted that YuNa might have felt neglected.

12. magnolia

magnolia New Member

I never liked Brian Orser or Tracy Wilson for that matter because it seemed that in order to boost Yuna, they had no qualms about making negatively subjective comments about Mao and overly inflated positive comments about Yuna on television (in Tracy's case), or making comments on Korean television that Miki's jumps were underrotated while Yuna's weren't (in Brian's case), and so forth. They just did whatev to project this image of Yuna as unbeatable, and good for them, it worked. Yuna got gold.

There also was a smear campaign regarding Japanese skaters that seemed to have been the joint effort of SBS and Team Yuna, that they were impeding her during official practice, which was never substantiated and nary a word of apology that this slandering took place.

So maybe what happened is that Yuna and her mother realized that these Canadians were playing dirty word tricks, and that Yuna herself, in fact, was also playing the same game by implication, and that this was putting her in a place of isolation, because up until the impeding practice incident came out, I think Yuna could speak on friendly terms to Mao at exhibition practice and such, but after? No way. And so maybe when Yuna realized that Brian was willing to tell a lie to try and control her---i.e., that Team Mao had contacted him, when no such contact had taken place---it all became too much for her and it was time to dump him, which, if this is what happened, I kind of understand.

13. amaro

amaro Active Member

Besides, Yuna doesn't have to deal with Brian at all. That's her agent's job, not hers. That's why athletes have their agents. In this case it happens to be her mom.

14. Moxie

Moxie New Member

But he's also said that she told his team to concentrate on their other students because she didn't know what her plans were.

15. lakewood

lakewood Active Member

I think it is true. There might have been miscommunications between them because of poor translator, but YuNa's side is firm on this matter. It wasn't verified by YuNa side. I think you misunderstood YuNa's statement. What YuNa meant was that she decides with her mother.

16. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Very thankful the JGP season is starting.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  17. VIETgrlTerifa

So then what do some of Orser's critics mean when they keep harping on him being fired and acting bitterly? Did Orser end it to Kim's suprise or was he fired by Kim and is now acting bitter?

You can't have it both ways. I mean, I know there are miscommunication issues, but not enough to cover that.

18. ponta1

ponta1 Active Member

Then perhaps people shouldn't complain about Brian talking about her mother, since her mother is her agent?

19. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Why the heck didn't they release a joint statement though? It's like Brian knew it was an official decision, and Yu-Na's side was still in denial.

20. lakewood

lakewood Active Member

One thing is clear (to me). The ATS people in Korea had no idea of Orser being fired until that morning. That is why ATS wasn't prepared at all. They never thought he was fired. YuNa also said she was shocked by Orser's statement.

21. VIETgrlTerifa

Same reasons why there wasn't any communication between the two all summer?

22. aisurukoto

aisurukoto New Member

I just watched this situation. For people who say leaking the names of the music to the media without the skater's consent is no big deal, i seriously want to check what they've got stuffed in their brains. Is this the kind of respect that Oser mentioned? Wow. If it is alright to do this, maybe from now on, we should drop our curiouity over the musical choice of all skaters. After all, thanks to Oser, practically anybody, including ex-coaches and spies won't be reprimanded for leaking information to the media. This is really not like him...It was imprudent of Oser to say so.

23. clara00

clara00 New Member

orser said yuna should learn something from this but it's not yuna to learn. it's us to learn. don't do social life like him. it's stupid to claim "firing" when you are not doing any contract. and don't be a saddist who loves colleague so much and slashing them w/ media.:(

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  24. VIETgrlTerifa

So, he was fired, but nobody on Yu Na's team knew about it? Including Yu Na?

25. amaro

amaro Active Member

People are complaining about Orser insisting that it was Ms. Park's decision all along to part ways, which is not true according to Yuna, no matter what capacity Ms. Park was playing.

26. Moxie

Moxie New Member

I thought she was shocked by the other stuff he said, not the firing. Because she did tweet the bit about it being her decision.

27. euneri

euneri New Member

This is what David Wilson said regarding Brian's announcement of Yuna's Arirang LP:

프로그램의 안무를 담당한 데이비드 윌슨도 올댓스포츠를 통해 "브라이언 오서가 프로그램에 대해 언론에 공개한다는 사실을 전혀 모르고 있었다. 미디어와 인터뷰하기 전 프로그램을 공개하겠다는 단 한마디의 말도 하지 않았다"며 "이 상황에 무척 놀랍고 당황스럽다"고 입장을 밝혔다.

David Wilson who is in charge of the program's choreography revealed through ATS, "I had no idea that Brian Orser was going to reveal details regarding the program to the media. He didn't mention a single word about announcing the program even prior to his interviews with the media." And added "I am very surprised about this situation and rather confused".

(source: http://xportsnews.hankyung.com/?ac=article_view&entry_id=126582)

28. lakewood

lakewood Active Member

Yuna' side wanted a temporary separation not a divorce (in comparison with marriage). Maybe, it could lead to divorce but they never gave final notice on Aug 2. But, Orser denies it.

29. amaro

amaro Active Member

According to ATS, the official firing didn't happen on 8/2, rather they suggested that Yuna and Orser take some time off. She was shocked at Orser making the public announcement on 8/23.

30. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

Brian, the next season is coming, Now focus on your skaters as you said. I'll support you and your skaters as I did before.

Yu-Na, practice hard, focus on yourself and make your show in L.A. the mega-hit ice show in the World.

Go separate ways!

"This too will pass away" - the sentence you loved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.