Orser interview - What did he do after the victory ceremony at the Olympics?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by eyh201, Mar 28, 2010.

1. eyh201

eyh201 New Member

Brian Orser's interview was aired on KBS on March 27.

http://office.kbs.co.kr/cyberpr/785401

It was a very touching interview. And some of his remarks are quite interesting.

"The evening after she won was very simple. Because she is really quite simple. We didn't have a big party.
    She took a moment to put the (gold) medal around each of us one at a time,
    she put it on around my neck and give me a hug.
    (She) did the same with David (and) did the same with her parents.
    It was really beautiful. And we each had a little speech and they thanked David and thanked me. She(Yuna) was crying.
    It was very emotional. It was nice....

....I never had a Olympic gold medal. That's probably the closest I've been other than looking at somebody's next me on the podium....

....This was special for me. I thought it was so beautiful when she took it off herself and put it over my neck. That was really touching...."

What a connection Yuna, Brian and David have made!

According to the KBS press release on the interview, Orser also said that he trained Yuna emphasizing skating skills like flow on the ice, rhythm and music transition.
    And he told Yuna absorbed his and David's teaching so quickly that she could show everything he and David instructed on the next day.
    That could be one of the reasons Yuna could show her two programs so perfectly even early in the season.

My overall impression on his interview was that he seemed to feel a special bond with Yuna. Quite a moving interview! :)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  2. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

3. eyh201

eyh201 New Member

These pics captured the moment when Yuna shared her joy with Brian, David and her physiotherapist after winning the Olympic gold. :)

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss144/bachadmirer/1.jpg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  4. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

^Aww thanks for the pic. What a lovely, simple tribute.

5. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

beautiful scene, beautiful people.. :)

6. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Very touching indeed - thanks for sharing :)

7. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Yu-Na's so sweet!

8. Strawberry301

Strawberry301 Banned Member

That is soo sweet. Yu Na not only made her dreams come true, but in a way Brian's aswell.

9. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Thank You for posting this. I am glad that Orser finally won the gold medal!!

10. shallwedansu

shallwedansu New Member

11. Suiren

Suiren New Member

That's wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

12. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

Orser said "I hope Yu-Na to be happy. After yesterday's competition, I asked her if she was happy. She said yes. After hearing that, I also felt happy." and he smiled.

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  13. chaconned

chaconned New Member

Wow, it is one of the most touching story I've ever heard. Yuna is so sweet....

14. amaro

amaro Active Member

A coach-pupil relationship is one based on contracts, but there seems to be a sense of true partnership, respect and sincerity between these two. What a wonderful moment it should have been to those who were there that evening.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  15. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Brian Orser has always seemed so incredibly classy. How nice that he's found such a talented skater who appreciates him so much.

Thanks for posting the links and the pictures.

16. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

:encore: My dreams came true :encore: Love Yu-Na, Love Brian and David.
    Soooooooooooooo, touching.

17. Bue

Bue New Member

Thanks for the video and interview. What a great partnership!

18. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

Darn, I wish there were subtitles on that video! It sounds like they've developed a really special relationship. I loved the portrait of Yuna, Brian and David!

Random observation: Brian has a couple of beautiful Toller Cranston pieces in his place! :swoon:

19. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

He is a class act! It's just a shame he came along at the same time as some other great skaters or he would have had the Gold medal.

But his actions always have impressed me as the type of person you would want to coach your kids. He understands the ups and downs and seems to really care about his skaters overall, not just thier "performance", but them as people!

20. eyh201

eyh201 New Member

Yuna talked about her relationship with Brian Orser at her book(Kim Yu-na's Seven-Minute Drama) signing event on April 24th.

She said, "being my full-time coach was a career change decision for Brian. I didn't want him to be disappointed (at his decision) so that I trained harder."

Yuna also added, "We both trust each other and I followed his advice well. I think that's why everything turned out right."

Isn't it remarkable such a young girl felt responsible for her coach? :lol:

21. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

That's lovely. I got teary eyed seeing the photo of YuNa and Brian standing side by side, Brian wearing the gold medal as YuNa makes a "here it is" gesture.

22. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Heck, I was happy when Adam Rippon left Morozov and went to Brian. Adam seems like such a nice person, and I was pleased he was with someone who has a reputation of being a really caring, classy person.

23. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Adam leaving Morozov for Brian was a brilliant move which many people questioned at the time, especially in light of the timing. Given some of the nasty things that Morozov did to Adam, he had no alternative. From what I know, Brian, David Wilson and the rest of Team Orser provide a very protected and nurturing environment.

24. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

It is remarkable! Sure it is. ;)

And in an interview few days ago, Brian said "Yu-Na is the first pupil in my skating life and the relationship between Yu-Na and me is not the mere privity of contract, but something special."

How well matched they are.

25. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

What did I miss, besides the usual coach-with-many-students-unable-to-attend-all-of-their-competitions drama?

26. cadavis

cadavis New Member

Kim appeared tonight on MBC talk show Kang Ho Dong’s Knee-Drop Guru. Here's a short clip of the show when she shed tears recalling the night she won the Olympic gold medal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKm4koNkJTE

The show was filmed on April 7th but was only aired tonight due to MBC labor union strike.

The entire show is uploaded at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt1MsY2IGCY

Hopefully, someone will soon upload a subtitled version too.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
    kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

If Joannie didn't win it, I really really wanted Yu Na to win it. So happy that Brian had such a big success with such a gifted student like Yu Na.

Congrats to both of them! (and David too lol)

28. whoa

whoa Member

I haven't watched the interview in its entirety yet but her appreciation for everyone is so touching!
    Her commitment to her diet is amazing as well; I don't think I would be able to eat like that more than a few months.