Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by maureenfarone, Jan 30, 2013.

1. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Active Member

For all of my Nationals trips I've always booked my air fare and sometimes hotel on my own.

Now, I'm considering a trip where I might need a rental car and am wondering if I should book through something like Orbitz, Travelocity or Expedia. It is kind of scary since I have no experience with this types of service.

Anyone use any of these? Have any experiences or tips to share?

2. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I found a good deal for a Kansas City hotel with Expedia. I have booked with them in the past. One time they even called me to assure me a request for a certain room would be honored. (handicapped room/first floor etc..) I certainly didn't expect the call and appreciated it.

3. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I've had good luck with Expedia as well... I've booked several trips through Expedia (Hawaii, Cabo San Lucas, and Disneyland among them) and have had no issues at all.

4. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Another vote for Expedia. I use them for everything.

5. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

I've used expedia for hotels and flights for years and everything have always gone smoothly and perfectly, even when I had to cancel a trip due to car break down. I've never used them for car rentals though but know plenty who have and as usual, no problems.

6. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

I have used Expedia and it has worked nicely.

I usually check individually and see if there is any gain. I noticed recently that flight + hotel don't seem to be cheaper.

7. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

I've used all three with no problems. I usually compare the bundle prices on each website and then make the decision of which to use. The airfare is typically the same (or at least within a few dollars) but the hotels and car rentals sometime have different locations or deals.

8. KCC

KCC Active Member

I use Expedia and other sites to book multi-airline flights and air/hotel/car packages, and to compare a lot of options/prices at once. When possible, though, I try to book flights (only) directly with the airlines because that way, I tend to have better luck keeping what I believe to be my chosen assigned seat. Every once in a while, my seat booked on other travel sites will change, even if the aircraft does not change.

9. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I have used all three, but I mostly lean towards Travelocity.

That said, I agree with KCC about booking directly with the airline for flights only. Sometimes you get bonus miles for doing that, too, which is nice.

10. madm

madm Active Member

I use Travelocity and sometimes Kayak to compare prices, and then I book my flight/hotel/car separately on the company websites. I am able to use discount coupons on the company websites that I cannot use with Travelocity. And I get my airline mileage points with every vendor. For car rentals, I have an Entertainment book and I use their site to book the car rentals with their discounts (our I can enter their coupon codes manually on the company site).

One problem with Travelocity and other booking services is that not all airlines show up on their site (e.g. Southwest).

11. duane

duane New Member

I've been using Expedia for years now. Always used them when booking flights and rental cars. I mostly drive now when I travel, but use Expedia to book hotels. Have not had one single problem.

12. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Active Member

Gosh, thanks so much for all the informative replies. I didn't see a combo flight/car on Travelocity but did on Orbitz and Expedia. I'll probably go with Expedia if it turns out I really need a car. But, I never thought of the entertainment books offering discount car coupons! That might really change the whole thing. Thanks so much for all the replies. :respec:

I'll probably still try to book on my own, but won't be so scared of a disaster if I use Expedia.

13. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

I usually use Travelocity. It seems like I find slightly better rental car rates on it. But I like to fly Southwest if I can, and I don't think they show up on these travel web sites, so I go directly through their website. I always check their rental car prices, too, and sometimes they are a little better...

14. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I used Travelocity when we went to Jamaica the first time. Our hotel (through no fault of Travelocity) was overbooked. We were on our way to the airport when Travelocity called us. They found us another all-inclusive hotel in Jamaica (and I later heard horror stories via a forum from people who had booked on their own - the Travelocities of the world got first dibs on the decent resorts). The correct transport was waiting for us at the airport (the new resort was in the opposite direction of the original resort). They refunded the cost of our initial transport because the new transport was provided by the hotel. Best of all, they made sure that the original hotel gave us a free stay the next year, and gave us a $25 travel voucher.

They definitely gave us excellent customer service.

15. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I'm friends with a few globetrotters and it's always Hotwire for car rentals!

I usually use Expedia, and one time they booked me on a later connection mid-trip because the first plane was stuck on the tarmac. The CSR was very nice and the entire transaction went smoothly. We were stuck on the tarmac was almost an hour, and I took the first 10 minutes to call Expedia and the rest of the time, I napped! The poor woman sitting next to me was freaking out, I'm not sure if she ever figured out what to do....