Opinions on Sofas

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by snoopy, Mar 24, 2010.

1. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

I have the nightstand and matching dresser that I've had since I was a kid. I used to have the matching bed too but it started falling apart when I moved it to my apartment two years ago so I bought a new one. The whole set used to be my mom's and I painted it cream with chocolate brown trim and replaced the knobs and it looks really good. Boyfriend has some plastic black stand as a nightstand that is tolerable.. I guess :lol:

The bedroom is actually decent.. we bought a bookstand (dark wood of course) and everything kinda goes. The livingroom is a mess though and unfortunately that's what people see :lol:

2. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

My parents have leather furniture and they have a cat. He lays on it but he's never scratched it.

3. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I still have my bureau from when I was little. For my husband, I found a bureau on the street (my old town had the BEST trash, I swear) and that's what he uses. It's an older, masculine looking piece, very nice, and I have no idea why whoever was throwing it away.

Of course, I get it home, and I'm cleaning it and what do I find inside? A bong and hash pipe. Which I wrap up in a plastic bag, and return to the porch of the house from which I got the bureau. ;)

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  4. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

lmao!

My boyfriend's dresser is actually pretty nice. It has a marble top which is something I've never seen before on a dresser. I like the bedroom.. especially the huge walk in closet :)

5. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

6. Ania

Ania Active Member

It depends on the kind of the sofa. We have 2 leather sofas and 2 leather love seats; all of them have no single mark on them from our cat. Our leather bar stools and dining chairs, on the other hand, are completely ruined (can you tell that we really love leather :)).
    My theory is that it has to do with how tight the leather is: it's very tight on the bar stools and more squishy on the sofas. I got the sofas for pretty cheap at Value City (around $800; Value City was all I could afford at the time) and they look like new 4 years later (with a cat and a toddler in the house).

Since we are on the topic of furniture - does anyone have recommendations for a patio table? I've been searching for several days and can't find what I'm looking for. Part of the problem is that we need a medium-sized table and all websites I found seem to have small (~ 40" by 40"), large (over 70" long), and very large (over 90"). I need something that's approximately 60" by 40" (preferably oval and/or expandable, made of wicker or wood; but size is still the main factor). Any ideas for places i should look at? I noticed Hardware Restoration recommendation upthread and checked out their outdoor tables - gorgeous but humongous :(

7. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

My Mom always says that you should pick furnature that will last a life time. She has a lot of pieces that she has owned for 52 years. A lot are antiques. But her dinning room set is dark work and classic. She has changed the chairs and cushions over the years. She took upholstry classes back in the 60's (it's really not that hard. Cushions are the hardest things), and over the past 50 years the sofa and chairs have changed colors and prints. But she still has the same ones. They just look new.
    I love micro suede. Cleans up well. I've spilled stuff on this couch and it comes right up. Since mine is a very light beige, I switch out throw pillows to create new looks. Right now I have brown and red to match my curtains.
    I have a really cool dinning room table. It's like a bar height and has a green glass top. It seats 8.

8. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

Craiglist.

I lurve the patio stuff my aunt left me even tho I have no patio on which to use them. :( But sell them? NEVER.

http://www.woodard-furniture.com/catalog/products/3077003/1/page:all

They don't even sell what I have any more, only the barrel dining chairs and the high back rockers come close. I have 4 chairs, a matching umbrella table, 3 side tables, and two rocking chairs. The chairs are ultra comfy, even without cushions. I keep trying to figure out how to use them all in the house, but alas, this 50's house is too small. In my old 60's house they would fit! :)

I don't see what's so wrong about using a plant stand as a night table. I am using a wicker one. It's all that would fit-the queen size bed takes up most of the bedroom :p

9. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

I discovered I have this bookmarked re: sofas

http://www.homereserve.com/index.cfm

I think I bookmarked it because it said "pet proof" and it has built-in storage in the base.

But I don't think I would actually buy any. For a sofa, I want a more elegant design. Elegant as in one I can't afford :lol:

10. Aimless

Aimless New Member

I have a houseful of This End Up. I bought my sofa frame and cushions in 1983. I've been through one set of cushions and am on my third set of cushion covers. The advantage is you just order up the replacement pieces you want and when they arrive you put them to use. No troubling with reupholstery,getting a sofa off to the shop, and being without furniture. It isn't a staggering expense either, although it isn't exactly cheap. They may not be the cushiest seating but I like the way they look, they take a beating, and they last. There's a lot of choice in fabrics or you can supply your own. http://www.thisendup.com/

11. Civic

Civic New Member

I made the mistake of buying a sofa bed and matching loveseat from Jenifer Convertables back in 1994. It had an ivory and blue awning stripe upholstery in cotton canvas that I fell in love with. The fabric started fraying on the cushions and arms within 5 years! I don't have kids or pets so it wasn't as if my furniture was getting a lot of wear and tear.