Opinions needed: I don’t believe in Telepathy or Supernatural, but……

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Tinami Amori, Apr 13, 2011.

1. mila19

mila19 New Member

I think I've seen a documentary once where a doctor/scientist actually said that we are not using a good part of the brain, might be wrong though.

2. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

The problem with saying that there are things humans are unable to understand ever(as opposed to the things we have not understood yet), is that you would have to understand enough about your subject in order to substantiate that claim as to why mankind cannot understand it. But then that is an obvious contradiction that undercuts your whole case.

As to the last part about humans know a lot but not all, knowledge is not the same as omniscience.

3. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

As I noted already, this subject is of interest to me as well, and I have been in situations where it has come into play in one way or another. I have two friends who have made it a point to stretch their "natural intellectual resources" and it is both fascinating and intimidating to be around them. Thank goodness they don't know each other - I don't think I could take both of them being in the same room at the same time with me!

That's the problem with it, though... it's very hard to explain. My one friend uses the philosophy of the Martial Arts to explain it, because that's how he came into it when he was in his very early 20's (he's now 70). He's also a big believer in Karma, and describes himself as a Buddhist.

4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

My neuroscientist friends say was are using 100% of our brain.
    I've been told I looke like Nastassija Kinski. :D

5. SharonDudd

SharonDudd New Member

I hope Anna is able to take what good there was from the relationship and move on with her life. You sound like a wonderful friend and mentor for her. She is still very young and if this was her first "big love" there is so much you can only learn by experiencing it personally, both good and bad.

I'm also a very pragmatic, hands on scientific person. If I can't touch, smell, see or hear something, it's hard for me to understand it or believe it. So, I understand your feelings completely. Not being able to just let my imagination go wild has been an issue in a lot of ways in life. Science Fiction, Supernatural movies and books, Star Trek, Star Wars...anything on that order? I just don't get it. I keep going back to my initial questions of "how did they do that?" When and if someone can show me real scientific and independently documented proof, I'll try to open my obviously closed mind but until then I'd rather read a great book or listen to wonderful music instead.

One of my ex's was seriously and I mean seriously into science fiction. His favorite author was Asimov and as much as he tried to convince me or explain the concept to me, I'd sit there with a blank expression and shake my head "NO..still don't get it and I'm sorry. " Finally we agreed to disagree and respect the other person's point of view. But he cheated and would always try to sneak in a comment or point of view and conversations would become stilted and painful. He passed away a few years ago from a chronic, debilitating disease and I really hope that there is some mystical place that he now resides in where he is healthy and able to do everything he loved once again. More of like wishing on a star...can't hurt right? Will it help? Who knows? He once told me the greatest gift I ever gave him was having a star named after him. You know that commercial one on tv where you pay whatever it was all those years ago and they send you a chart with ""your star" highlighted. I tried very hard not to come across cynical when I gave it to him but of course, silently thought it was all commericalized hooey and they probably send the same chart out to anyone who pays the $29.95 or whatever the cost was. But the joy he got out of it was well worth the price.

As a mom and a sister, I do occasionally have strange feelings and have to talk to one of my kids or one of my brothers because there was just a strange feeling pulling me towards them. Not good or bad news just a feeling that they somehow either needed or wanted to talk. Sometimes I'm right and sometimes not. But it gives me a good reason to call for no other reason than wanting to talk to them.

Give Anna a lot of support and the opportunity to talk if she wants to. You are a good friend and she probably needs you more than she wants to admit right now.

6. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

Well, I'd swear my mother is psychic because she always knows when I'm doing something I shouldn't...

I'm sorry for Anna's heartbreak; she's young and hopefully will be blessed with another great love.

7. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

:D

http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/tenper.html

Also, Mythbusters addressed this and found the same thing as IceAlisa's neuroscientist friends. We use all of our brain.

8. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Well, maybe we don't use it well? :saint:

For instance, I "use" all my muscles and so does Nastia Liukin, but I assure you there is a difference! ;)

nubka and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

Her real name is actually “Anetta”… I used “Anna” for convenience….. Does that change the suggested venue? Plus “my crowd” is not big on following the path of Karenina, Dame with Camilias, Lady Hamilton… we’re more into Moll Flanders, Viola, Pippi Langstrumpf…. :D.

:D……. maybe when you were both 20…… and so did Sasha Cohen….. :lol:
    My impression is that you look more like a mix between “prettier younger versions” of Jamie Lynn Singler and Marisa Tomei…..

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ND920tPjW...A/MN6hf3UjKoE/s400/jamie lynn sigler face.jpg

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/cm/goodhousekeeping/images/Marisa-Tomei-Pixie-fb-51165795.jpg

That’s the “thing”…… we maybe using full volume/mass, but are we using full capacity?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  10. Capella

Capella Guest

My first thought when I read your description of events is that Anna (consciously or unconsciously) smelled Dmitry on this girl. Maybe some of his cologne lingered on her clothing or she was wearing something of his.

11. Tinami Amori

I thought about that...... and as far as I am concerned, it would be the best explanation for my peace of mind.... But then I want to know all possibilities.

I am sure our brain picks up and registers a lot of details, but do we always use and apply them, and if yes, do we apply and use them properly?

I think all Swamis and Fortune Tellers are simply very observant and logical "mentalists", good psychologists/analysts, with good deductive reasoning abilities....

12. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Telepathy can be seen as just very heightened intuition and there is evidence suggesting it exists in animals as well as humans.

I agree. I think some people do have psychic abilities and that the supernatural does exist. There are just two many stories to indicate otherwise. Years ago I met a woman who claimed to have seen ghosts and described her experiences in detail. She was completely genuine and I believed her.

At the same time, what is seem is supernatural could in some cases just be an overactive imagination and/or blinding insight.

And I'm wary of people who try and fit everything into one frame of understanding. I particularly take issue with new age magical/magnetic thought. Observing those who ascribe to it reveals the capacity to overlay the philosophy onto experience. Coincidences become acts of psychic intention and all that happens is seen to be created vibrationally. How convenient to believe that you have so much control over your life. . .

13. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I never ever got either reference from anyone and don't really see the resemblance. I don't know who Singler is. When I was the same age as Nastassija in this pic, I could see what people mean.

14. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

She played Meadow on The Sopranos.

15. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I must be the only human alive who's never seen a full episode of The Sopranos. But I did like the opening with the hairy, stubby fingers on the steering wheel and the Pulaski Skyway--the ugliest bridge ever constructed.

16. Andrushka

Andrushka New Member

I've never seen a full episode of The Soprano's either.

I do believe in the unexplainable...I think sometimes..in situations like Anna's.You just know.I can't give you any other explanation of that or scientific backup.You just know.

17. Japanfan

I haven't seen even one minute of the Sopranos. :)

Just not a fan of the gangster genre.

18. Tinami Amori

Absolutely ! yes, on this foto, when she was 20, had darker hair and more expressive eyes…Last 10 years she is “bleached out”, probably had face work and looks like this…. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_6-IIXAF5H...AErM/NFbuokcxBOk/s400/NastassjaKinskiCrop.jpg ........And you’re prettier…..:D.

My dog, as one example, supposedly “telepathically predicts” that I am going to brush her, and runs away…… The fact is she simply notices the tiny elements in my body language, facial expressions and sounds, which us humans either do not pay attention to or are yet capable of registering through our sensory organs….. Same with animals and earth-quakes, etc….

But if animals are capable (through evolutionary processes inspired by survival) to be able to sense sights and sounds, to change color of skin on minute’s notice, to sense heat, energy of other creatures and objects, to be able to use smell as identification, etc…. we, humans, must have it in us, somewhere. I understand there are differences in present state of our general anatomy that are not easily crossed…. But at the same time, I can’t help but to think that a lot of the “unexplained” that happens with us humans, which is called ESP, intuition, telepathy, is caused by intense stimulation (by extreme or cultivation) of sensory organs combined with simultaneous analysis/processing of the input the organs receive.

None of what I am saying is scientific….. but I hope there are materials I can read…. I just can find any that satisfy my curiosity enough…..

“Convenient”?.... on the contrary – rather “obligatory” and “carrying a greater weight of personal responsibility” and “feeling less security in terms of fairness and higher powers or entities are looking out for your”.

It’s more “convenient” to think that you do not have full control over your life, decisions, choices, outcomes….. One can always blame “something else that is beyond one’s control” or have “false hopes that greater powers are looking out for you”….:)

19. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

Never watched it either, but Jamie Lynn was also Turtle's girlfriend, as herself, on Entourage.

20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Thank you. :eek: She is quite a bit older than I am though. I don't think the blond hair agrees with her in her mature years.

I used to watch Entourage sporadically but don't recall her.

21. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

It's like she brought a photo of Julia Roberts to her plastic surgeon and said "Give me that." :scream:

22. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

At least Julia Roberts seems to understand what hair color looks good on her. I've never seen her in that particular shade of blond. May be I am wrong though. I don't watch her like a hawk.

23. Japanfan

That's really all that it is supposed to be.

I understand your point but it really depends on how you look on it. When I say 'convenient' I mean as a neat and tidy frame of reference that makes sense of everything, providing you don't put much thought into it. It's the not thinking and acceptance of dogma that's convenient, especially if you surround yourself with others who like to preach the dogma.

I remember one woman told me once how she had visualized getting a digital camera for Christmas and then got three - when digital cameras were a hot item that year and probably every second person got one. This person was hellbent on convincing me that my lived experience was wrong because I didn't accept her philosophy and that I too could just manifest whatever, providing I did what she did. . .

I believe that randomness exists as well as synchronicity and that luck exists as well as karma. It would be more convenient if I believed that everything made sense. I'm most bothered by new age dogma because I see it everywhere and it simply isn't universal truth. If we could all just visualize and get what we wanted, then hypothetically we could just visualize winning the lottery and win - which isn't possible when there is only one winner - or visualize getting rid of cancer and get rid of it (sure, it helps some people, but it's not a cure).

And so long as believe in this magical system of thought, new age gurus will make a ton of money teaching us how to make it work. Like my friend who bought a certain charm to make her day a good one and had a bad day - and wondered if she should try a different charm.

Visualize works some of the time. The law of attraction works some of the time. And more of the time for some people than others. Multiple truths co-exist and it's far more intellectually and spiritually convenient to just accept an appealing frame, be it 'God's will' or 'Law of Attraction'. Grappling with a world that is far more complex and messy can be damn inconvenient and it can make you really unpopular as well, since so many people prefer to follow the herd.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  24. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Tinami : pheromons may be the answer if the smelling proves right :)

25. Civic

Civic New Member

Two things struck me:

1) Anna's youth and immaturity caused problems between she and Dmitry so he turns around and starts dating another college student?

2) He was probably already seeing this new girl before Anna went to visit her parents.

Anna won't want to hear this but my gut tells me she just made a lucky escape. I hope she'll be okay once she gets over the heartbreak.

26. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Well, Karma is not "new age" and most of what people call "new age" actually isn't "new" at all.

And you don't just "visualize and get what you want." You still have to have a game plan and do the work involved (kind of like "God helps those who help themselves"), at the same time putting your intent out there. I know one woman who lives her life based on LOA and I am amazed at what she has manifested for herself in the last 15 years.

27. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

Sing it, sister! I hate that show. :)

28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

^^^This. Anna sounds better off without this guy.

29. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

Eau de cum? :shuffle:

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  30. mila19

mila19 New Member

:eek::rofl::rofl:
    My mamma would tell you'd never find a husband with that tongue. But then I guess it's a deterrent only for straight people:p