Opinions needed: I don’t believe in Telepathy or Supernatural, but……

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Tinami Amori, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

..... Something very strange happened right in front of my eyes, and being a person who does not believe in anything that can not be explained scientifically, I hope the following occurrence has a scientific or at least a reasonable explanation….

My friends from New York have a daughter who 2 years ago was accepted to UC Berkeley. My friends asked me to keep an eye on her and to chaperon her a bit, so I do..

Her name is Anna, she is now 21 years old, very intelligent, decent, dynamic girl, who also does not believe in “supernatural”.

First year on campus she met the guy of her dreams - Dmitry; not her first love, she had boyfriends before, but her first Big Love. They dated for 7-8 months, and then decided to live together in an apartment. For Anna, besides her school, Dmitry was the main subject in her life.

Dmitry is 8 years older than Anna, in graduate school, and all his friends are much older, late 20’s/early 30’s. I spent time with both of them together, and was left with an impression that he is a very nice intelligent fellow, but Anna is very young, and he is much more mature and it shows, and he lets Anna feel it….. Anna does feel like a “little girl” in his presence who needs to prove herself. She was quite insecure about the “maturity difference”, and not being smart enough around him and his friends.

Eventually the “maturity issue” did take a tall on their relationship; Anna started to feel he is loosing interest and spending less time with her, and instead of “shaping up knowledge wise” and letting him “miss her” by making her self less available, became more demanding and whiny about spending more time together and bugging him “what’s wrong honey”…

Two weeks ago Anna and Dmitry decided to move apart. Anna said she could no longer handle the indifference and could not stand living "like room-mates" with a man whom she loves so much.

When moving out Anna was under the impression that they are not ending it, but taking time apart to see how things will go in the future.

She packed her bags, moved in with friends, and 2 days later went back East to stay with her parents for 4 days. During that time she had no contact with Dmitry, but her parents called me several times, saying she is crying all the time, and thinks of nothing but Dmitry.

Her girlfriend was supposed to pick her up from the airport upon Anna’s return, but could not, so she asked me if I can pick her up instead instead. I agreed.

The girlfriend also told me “I don’t know how to tell Anna, but I saw Dmitry on campus, and he told me that he is dating a new girl….. that girl is a smash, beautiful, smart, really nice….. I hope Anna does not expect to reconcile with Dmitry, he sounds freshly in-love and total bewitched by this new girl.. Maybe you (she meant me) can break it to Anna gently”.

I was not thrilled about such a role, but when I met Anna, while we were driving to her new residence, did tell her that Dmitry has a new girlfriend.

Anna’s new residence is right next to UC Berkeley Campus. I had to park my car in the campus, under the Student Union Building garage to walk with Anna to her apartment with her luggage. We took the elevator from parking into the Student Union foyer and Anna had to use a rest-room.

We walk into the rest-room, it’s empty except for 1 girl standing over a sink, brushing her hair…. I immediately notice the girl, she was special! she is a pretty, elegant, charming being with a great figure, looking like a European movie star….Rachel Weisz’s look-alike, so I thought.

Anna, in a matter of less than a second, abruptly turns to the girl and asks her straight on: Are you the girl who is now dating Dmitry S.?

The girl turns around and replies, surprised, reluctantly but pleasantly: Yes….. and who are you?...... I don’t think we met…. How do you know I am dating Dmitry? We met only one week ago and I have not met any of this friends….

Anna replies “I am Anna”…… The Girl replies… “I am not sure who you are, he did not mention anyone named Anna….. I know he has a sister, but she is older, married and lives in Dallas”….

Anna’s head starts spinning (apparently), she is close to fainting, and I help her and take her out of the bathroom…. She is silent all the way home, asks me to leave her alone when we reach her door. I leave at that time, and learn the next day from her room-mates that she slept for 20 hours straight, and her hair turned a little gray….

Now I am wondering…… how the heck was she able to identify that the girl in the bathroom is Dmitry’s new girlfriend?

I don’t believe in supernatural or telepathy or vibes or any hokus-pokus stuff…… There must be something scientific in all of this……

I know in extreme situations people can exhibit intensified physical strength when facing danger, like a mother holding up a 200 kg tree to prevent it from falling on her child…. But this situation is not about physical strength…

Is there a scientific name for what happened with Anna? I so hope there is…..

Opinions and information would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  2. Jackie Sparrow

Jackie Sparrow Well-Known Member

I do believe that there are phenomena that we are simply not able to understand or at least not able to understand. I think there are energies out there that we are not able to understand but might be able to be explained from a scientific point of view.

Humans know a lot but not all ;)

3. Nan

Nan Just me

Sorry, I can't offer a scientific explanation, but I have witnessed and experienced similar things. I know I don't know everything about the world and the way things work so I just think of these as energy "explosions," much like Jackie said.

4. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Agree completely - the very idea that we understand all the workings of the universe at this point in time is ridiculous; there is much yet to discover.

I think it's entirely possible that Anna's passion for Dmitry and her increased sensitivity during this difficult and emotional time allowed her to immediately recognize her rival.

It's also possible that in her state, having just learned of Dmitry's betrayal, she might have confronted the first woman she saw, and maybe others too. It is perhaps not coincidence that Dmitry's girl was there - he might have met her in the course of being in the same areas as Anna on the campus.

5. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

Yes, the scientific term for this is coincidence.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  6. El Rey

El Rey Well-Known Member

This. and it just happened to be her. coincidence.

7. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Sounds less like "supernatural" and more like "setup." The student union is usually a gathering place, so odds were that they'd cross paths at some point.

Perhaps the new gf lied about never hearing Anna's name before and wanted to make an appearance to unnerve Anna ... or Dmitry set them both up to run into each other in the hopes of avoiding/creating a confrontation. Was Anna texting in the car on the way there? A well-meaning friend could have even tipped off the others.

I also wonder if Anna didn't read about the new gf on Facebook and maybe even see a photo, if she took your news so well at first.
    I'd have to assume that she was "friends" on Facebook with Dmitry, so all she had to do was check his page if he had a photo of his new love.
    (Many hs/college kids post couple photos as their profile photos when the relationship is new and shiny.)

8. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Yeah I'd say it was either coincidence, or you were not let in on some information.

9. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Yeah it is this ..or I think we can put things together without realizing we are doing it. Like Anna knew what type of girl Dimtry liked and saw these characteristics in this woman. At work, I can sometimes infer “secrets” based on other pieces of information. It is not telepathy but a form of analysis. I’m not always right but my hit rate is pretty good.

10. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

The important thing to focus on is that Anna will be mourning the loss of this relationship for the immediate future. She's seen the rival. She's faced with the fact that her lover has truly left her for someone else. As a friend, I hope you can just help her to move on. Dmitry surely has.

11. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

12. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

Chalk it up to coincidence.....or possibly some sort of subtle pheromone or other chemical marking/scent that the human animal picks up. I mean, women living in the same apartment start synching up their cycles due to these things; maybe your friend just unconsciously picked up on some of Dmitry's "scent" on this girl and immediately "knew" her as her rival.

Subtle and unlikely, but I'd buy that before I'd buy some supernatural mumbo jumbo. (Coincidence is the most likely thing here.)

13. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Yeah, the answer was either yes or no so she had a 50-50 chance of getting it right. She got it right.

14. SceneIt

SceneIt DoneIt

^This.

15. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

She guessed and happened to be correct. Also, the guess was based on intuition about which a lot is known scientifically. It's pretty powerful and it is logical but most of the time we can't explain our thought processes so it seems "magical".

16. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

I sense things like this often. Either about people or happenings or whatever. I believe we can sense other's thoughts or feelings, not like telepathy or esp particularly, just intuitive pick ups.

Or she saw her on facebook.

Either one is plausible.

17. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

We should page Theatergirl or Pushkin for this one, but I don't think that just because something has a binary outcome (yes or no) that the chances for either outcome are equal. I think you'd need to look at the # of girls who could have been in that bathroom and then the chance that it was her was 1 out of that many girls.

At any rate, my theory on things like this is that they only seem eerie because we remember the guesses that happen to be correct and quickly dismiss all of the things we've thought that didn't turn out to be correct. If the girl hadn't turned out to be Dmitry's new GF, you wouldn't have thought twice about the incident, nor would you have thought, "Gee, Anna doesn't have ESP."

Jenny and (deleted member) like this.
  18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Yup. She was in a vulnerable state, having just found out that he is dating a new woman and correctly surmising she would be attractive and perhaps have a European vibe. The first girl who fit that description happened to be her.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

That seems like a good guess to me. Or Anna just knew what type of women her ex likes.

20. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Putting on my detective hat for a minute, we're forgetting that there was a third person in the room when this happened.

Is it possible that Tinami's reaction to the woman, after having just told Anna there was another woman, led Anna to believe it was her?

21. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

It could have just been a huge huge coincidence. Maybe if another pretty woman had been in the bathroom then she would have said the same thing and been completely wrong. Maybe she had worked up so much anxiety about running into this new girlfriend that she was going to expect every woman she crossed paths with to be her. It also seems obvious from the story that the new girlfriend goes to the same school so it isn't THAT shocking to have run into her where she did. It would have been really crazy if it was at a McDonalds on the other side of town or something.

22. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Did you ask Anna how she knew? How does she explain it?

23. mila19

mila19 New Member

I had a similar experience, although a joyous one. I dreamt that a friend of mine who lives in Dublin was pregnant (mind you, we don't talk often and it's usually pretty much teasing each other). So I send her a message to which she replies that she actually had taken a test 2 days before and that she's pregnant but nobody knew (even her boyfriend) because she was waiting to do a proper visit to the ob-gyn. There you have it. I'm psychic:p Seriously though, it was weird whether you call it coincidence or telepathy.

24. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Ok, while we are on the subject, when I was a teenager, I had a dream that my father (who had died several years before) came back home and told us that he had faked his death because he was working on an intelligence matter (he'd been a Naval Intelligence officer in China long before I was born, but I was a child when he died and only knew he was in the Navy until I was an adult). He was wearing this blue suit - one of a few he had had custom made a few years before he died because he had gotten quite large - it had a white silk lining with thin blue and red threads running through it. I told my mother the dream and she turned a little white and said. Hmmm, "that is the suit I buried him in." It was not an open casket, and I did not see his body at any time after his death. He had many other suits, and she did not tell me which one she picked. But, it makes sense that I would incorporate that one into my dream because I liked the lining. It was a little weird that I picked out an intelligence matter because I thought he'd been a Navy pilot. But I used to watch Man from Uncle, Mission Impossible, Get Smart etc. so not so unusual.

25. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Tinami, just keep Anna away from any and all train stations until she recovers from her heartbreak.

26. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

This is where intuition comes in. Intuition would pick up on that even if Anna wasn't consciously realizing that was part of her reasoning.

I have these sorts of "I just knew" feelings all the time and am often right. The sucky part is when it's at work and I can't convince people of my POV because I can't articulate why I think what I think and then I turn out to be right after all. It's not like the next time I can say "just trust me because I was right last time" either.

27. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Well, I have heard it said that worries are prayers for that which you don't want to happen.

Rob, that is an interesting story. I've always had an interest in stuff like this happening, those things that you just can't explain. I have a story of my own along those lines:

My maternal grandmother passed away in December 2005 (right before Christmas) at the age of 104. My grandfather had died in 1942, just before my mother turned 5. On Christmas Eve my mother, one of my brothers and I attended a church service at West Stephentown Baptist, the church my mother's family had attended ever since 1935 and my cousin has preached in for over 30 years. I picked up the hymnbook from the back of the seat in front of me, and flipped open the front cover. There was a sticker saying that my grandmother had made a donation in memory of my grandfather, and the date was noted (can't remember the year). Considering that we had just been in that very church only days before for her funeral, and she was now buried in the cemetary behind the church with my grandfather and my mother's older sister, I will never be convinced that was a mere coincidence. My mother doesn't think so either.

And then there is the fact that my aunt died, IIRC in 2002, and her funeral was the same day as the anniversary of the day my grandfather died (she was 12 when that happened).

I'm a firm believer in the idea that there are connections between people that cannot be rationally explained, that there are things we know without being able to explain how we know or sense that these things are true. There is a certain person in my own life with whom I seem to have a bond that is not easily broken, no matter what bullshit happens between us (and we are now communicating after not doing so for 17 months).

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  28. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

I was worried for a moment until I remembered I'm a man. ;)

29. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for all your replies and explanations.

I absolutely agree and never doubted that all the events which led to both girls passing each other in the same space at the same time are circumstantial and coincidences and not due to “mysterious powers” or “fate” or “divine intervention”.

I am also sure that the physical features of the “New Girl” do match Dmitry’s preferences, just as they much pretty much the preferences of most people in our circle of friends and relatives: Rachel Weizs, Natalie Portman, Kira Nightly, Winona Ryder, Nastassyja Kinski, Juliette Binoche, etc… Anna her self is “that type”, but closer to Audrey Tautou…. Dmitry’s mother (my relatives know his parents) is closer to Hedi Lammar…. My mother looks close to Gina Lollobrigida….

….. It’s a forgone conclusion that the New Girl, the way she looked in general, would very much be Dmitry’s type and the “ideal type” for every male relative’s and friend’s I know…..

….. My reaction to the New Girl could not be registered by Anna, as she rushed in first, and I was behind, she had her back to me the whole time when addressing the New Girl… all happened in a matter of seconds.

…. Anna had no idea Dmitry was seeing another girl until I told her. Her only friend who knew was not eager to be the first one to break the news. Anna does not play games – if she had this info – she’d be talking to me about it from the second she got into my car…

….. Anna could not have seen the New Girl’s foto or learn of her on Facebook… No one in our circle, younger, older, uses Facebook or social networks. 4-5 people might have real accounts they use, the rest of us may have accounts, under fake names, only to look at links to fotos and articles on Facebook which requires registration.

Dmitry loathes Facebook and called it “Surrogate for real communication”… he is that type... he does not use digital camera, his cell-phone is from 2003, he drives a normal car with a clutch, not the new kind “automatic”, and we’re all like that… etc. No-face-of-new-girl-on-Facebook….. :D.

I am more interested to learn if ESP (thank you for reminding me of this word) has any scientific basis.

This possibility is of great interest to me. I am inclined to think we, humans, are NOT using all of our natural physical and intellectual resources and potentials. Perhaps we do have certain sensory abilities that we’re not aware of….

So this case is interesting to me pretty much from that aspect only: Other than “physical type” which Dmitry might be attracted to, what else did Anna sensed in the New Girl which made her ask so directly and with SUCH CERTAINTY if she is his new girlfriend? Anna is not a “casual talker” and not that open with strangers…..

Anna today can not explain how she knew “The New Girl” was it…. Anna does not remember how it happened…… She can’t explain…. She says “I felt something”….

Does ESP has any scientific basis?

30. mila19

mila19 New Member

:rofl: :rofl:
    I usually have a lot of nightmares involving people chasing me. I'd let you get me :grope: :D