Opinion of *New* Team Event in Sochi?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Jenna, Apr 6, 2011.

?

Are you for or against the team event?

1. For

50.0%
  2. Against

50.0%
  1. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Do you like or dislike the idea of a figure skating team event at the Olympics, beginning in 2014 with Sochi?

2. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I don't like the idea.

3. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Why not? Other sports have 3020202 other events that the same athletes compete in, so why not figure skating?

4. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

Because figure skating is a unique snowflake unlike other sports :p

5. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

dislike
    One one side, it's good for audience and having more figure skating, but on the other side figure skating is an individualistic sport...

but..wait..will we have new rivalries&drama for being the chosen ones in the team? :glamor::watch:
    :rofl:

6. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:lol:

7. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I want to know more details about the event before I decide if I like it or not.

8. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I would only slightly like it as long as it came AFTER all the individual events were over and medals are awarded. THEN have a team event occur.

9. Mafke

Mafke New Member

I'd rather the format be changed to allow for more medals to be awarded.

What about separating out the SP and LP as different events (maybe with a qualifying and final round for each).

What about solo dance (very big in roller skating now, no reason it couldn't ge t a following on ice too)

The team event just seems a way to try to cram the same programs from the same skaters down the public's throat again.

10. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I like it. Time for something new. I'd rather see jump, spin, and moves events in the team competition instead of programs though.

I don't think many countries have a full complement of singles M/F, pairs, and dance teams so it will probably be limited to U.S., Canada, Russia, and Japan.

Also how many times do you want to see the same programs in one event? I know gymnasts do it, but their routines are not 4.5 minutes! If it includes more skaters that would be good.

11. JamieSix

JamieSix New Member

Disadvantage to countries with only one to two top skaters.

12. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I would actually like to see a few more WTT under the ISU's belt to work out the kinks. Not in 2014 but maybe 2018 or 2022; but in the future for sure.

13. PUNKPRINCESS

PUNKPRINCESS New Member

I like it because it's more figure skating... ;)

14. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Agreed, though I'm leaning towards like.

15. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I need to know the details, but I'm thinking I like the idea. Skating, like gymnastics used to be, is a very individual sport. It's cool for the athletes to be a part of an actual team.

But as I said, I do need more details on this to really be able to speak about it; but for right now, I'm liking the basic idea.

16. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

What kinks? Skaters skate, they earn a score, points are distributed based on score, and medals are awarded. How is that 'kinky'?

And for those who are looking at it as 'leaving out' countries who have small skating populations... look at it as an opportunity to grow teams from all over the world.

Right now, the following teams have enough skaters to have the event:
    AUT
    BLR
    CZE
    EST
    FRA
    GER
    ITA
    RUS
    CAN
    CHN
    JPN
    USA

That's 12 teams. That's quite a start, I think. I bet a pairs and dance teams will start popping up all over.

17. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I don't like the idea. Instead I would love to see Syncronized skating.

18. julieann

I just don't think one WTT is enough to make it an Olympic sport in 2014 especially since this years was canceled. There are a lot of things to work out esp within the competition and within the countries themselves, not just with who can compete. Has the ISU or the IOC release exactly how it will work in detail?

I do think it will help get more skaters interested in pairs and ice dancing. Japan doesn't have any eligible pairs and ice dancers that I can think of. Most don't/can't/won't have citizenship.

19. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I'm for it as long as it doesn't take too much energy away from the singles/pairs/dance events. It should be held after they're over.

20. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

It will be far more interesting to have figure skaters team up and play hockey. I want to see some nasty body checking and feathers flying off their costumes all over the place.

21. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Pointless.

22. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

But why? If it gives more skaters the opportunity to win medals or make accomplishments at an Olympic event..I'm all for it! And for all of the people doubting if these poor, fragile skaters can bother skating two extra programs...these people are under intense training all year for this moment. I think they can handle it. That's the way it is in gymnastics too...the team event is always first, followed by the individual all around, and then the event finals.

23. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I think team skating will initially get decent TV coverage in the next Olympics, because it's something new; However in future Olympiads it will be delegated to only the late night highlight clips much like synchronized swimming.

I'm sure I'll watch it, but the idea just seem unnecessary.

24. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

What is there to work out? There are 2 men, 2 women, 1 pairs team, and 1 dance team per country. Countries qualify based on points earned throughout the season. Who can compete is up to the qualifying nations, I am sure, and I am also sure that everything will be revealed very soon.

25. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

More skating? Heeeelllllllls YEAH!!!!

26. nro

nro New Member

It's actually one from each discipline for the Olympics. Two skaters from each of the singles categories was just for the WTT.

27. julieann

So who goes? Is it the national champion or the reigning world champion. What if they get hurt who substitutes?

Did the ISU put out the actual rules of competition or just a statement for the press?

There will be many questions over the next couple of years.

28. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Result of this poll tells me a team event at Olympics will be a miserable failure. Who in the hell is going to watch a crap event that fails to get approval from the most avid figure skating fanbase.

29. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Toes. You gotta keep 'em separated.

Just a press statement. There has been no communication/rule revision with the rules for the Olympic team event.

During 2010 ISU congress some language was added to the ISU rules that include the Olympic team event.

30. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

It's not that easy to develop good Olympic-eligible pairs and dance teams, especially for countries that have strict citizenship requirements, such as Estonia and Japan.

I'm not sure how you compiled your list. The following countries are sending at least one entry in each discipline to this year's Worlds:

AUT
    BUL
    CAN
    CHN
    FRA
    GER
    GBR
    ITA
    JPN
    RUS
    USA

That's eleven, but Japan doesn't have a pairs team that can compete in the Olympics.

Having a team competition at the Olympics probably means getting rid of the gala. I'm actually not a big fan of exhibitions, but if I were given the choice between watching Yuna Kim, the top Japanese singles skaters, and maybe Kiira Korpi or Laura Lepistö doing exhibitions and Austria's pairs team (whose current Personal Best Total Score is 100.87) and Bulgaria's dance team (81.99), I'd watch the exhibitions.