Opera Suggestions

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by agalisgv, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

I am completely spineless.
    I just bought a ticket. :lol:
    I haven't been to Carnegie Hall in ages. How dressy is it for something like this? Because I do not own a ball gown or a tiara.

2. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

If you wore a ball gown and a tiara, people would first think you were a drag queen :)

Wear what you wear to see ABT. And have a great time: she's wonderful :swoon:

3. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Where are you sitting? I am thinking about getting a ticket.

4. SaSherka

SaSherka Well-Known Member

Wow, that was quick! I haven't even bought a ticket myself as I am waiting for Notables tickets to possibly go on sale. If not, I'll splurge on a good seat, but can't shell out $$ now. And you definitely do not need a ball gown & tiara. A couple concerts I attended at CH in the last few years (including JDD's debut at Stern Aud) seemed fairly casual. ABT comparison seems good though

5. Marge_Simpson

Err, I have a habit of acting on impulse. And I tend to think if I don't act quickly, I may miss an opportunity. So I got a ticket last night.
    I'm in dress circle. Please, somebody join me!

6. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

Somewhat late with my review of I Due Foscari at the LA Opera, which I saw a few weeks ago. This is such a rarely produced opera that it is more of a curiosity. From what I've read, this was the first production in the US in approximately 40 years, though it should get some play with next year being the bicentenniel of Verdi's birth. The music was quite beautiful, showing a lot of the elements you expect from Verdi, but the story and the libretto was extremely bitter and cynical. (It was written shortly after Verdi's wife and both their infant children died.)

The production itself was stunning and the performances were excellent across the board, with Placido Domingo performing the baritone role of the older Francsesco, Francesco Meli as his son Jacopo, and Marina Poplavskaya as Jacopo's wife, Lucrezia. I know a lot of people don't like Poplavskaya's voice, but I really liked it for this role and particularly enjoyed the power of her voice. The LA Master Chorale also was used to great effect as the evil Venetian council. My only nits were that Meli and Poplavskaya had a tendency to overpower Placido at times. I love Placido and his voice is utterly amazing for his age, but he does not have the same power that he once had so he is more restrained in how loudly he sings at times. The other issue is that Lucrezia was so fiery and angry that it was hard to view her as powerless. She was such a strong presence that it was hard to believe that she would really be prevented from following Jacopo to where he was exiled.

I wouldn't be surprised if this production winds up being performed in several other cities next year as part of celebrations of Verdi's birthday.

Next up is Don Giovanni, which I am thrilled to hear is a new production. We have been getting the same turgid revival at the LA Opera for ages, and this one has received nice reviews.

7. SaSherka

Thanks for the review! I didn't like Poplavskaya in La Traviata, but was pleased with her in Faust last season. It seemed that she too was much more pleased with her Margueritte than Violetta, so perception could depend on the role she sings.
    Are you going to catch Angela Meade in Don G? I am thinking about getting this new Don G CD (dream cast?) http://www.amazon.com/Don-Giovanni-Ildebrando-DArcangelo/dp/B008AS5UAO

Marge, PM me your seat for JDD recital!

8. Marge_Simpson

Unfortunately I didn't write it down, and the email confirming my order just lists the section, not the seat. Hopefully they will mail the ticket quickly and I can tell you the exact seat.

9. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I saw her in La Traviata also, and have virtually no memory of her. So I guess that tells you how much I liked her then. It is funny how much of a difference a role can make. I can think of several performers who I thought were incredible or terrible after seeing them in one role, only to have a completely different view after seeing them in another role.

Yep. :) I had to check, because I wasn't sure which of the sopranos was singing the night I had tickets, but we are scheduled for one of Angela Meade's two shows. That should be fun. I'm also really excited to see D'Arcangelo, because I had a last-minute work conflict last season, missed him in Cosi Fan Tutti, and had to listen to my mom and stepfather rave about the production for weeks.

10. SaSherka

Agreed! Also, a role a particular singer WANTS to sing may not necessarily be the one they SHOULD sing. Casting is another case (*ahem* Mme Netrebko in current Met's Elisir)

Lucky! But then again, I haven't heard her Donna Anna, so she may or may not be great in the role... although I am positive she'll do fab!
    Speaking of D'Arcangelo's surely :smokin: Don G, have you seen this short clip that JDD recorded last year during the above CD's rehearsals/concerts? :swoon:

11. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Also easily lead astray here. I ordered a Dress Circle ticket for Joyce D, so Marge, anyone else, you will have company.

12. Marge_Simpson

Excellent! I got my ticket, I am in Row BB, Seat 40.
    SaSherka, you must get a ticket ASAP.
    Who is in for dinner after the show? :)

Incidentally, this has given me the push I needed to start sewing with the lovely brocade fabric I bought over the summer. So expect to see me in a slinky skirt.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  13. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

Saw Anna Bolena with Sondra Rodvanovsky at the WNO last night.

Whatever one may say about the individual singers, in its totality it was great and earned a full standing ovation from the audience. It had incredible drama and really brought the best out of the music. I was on the edge of my seat! Comparisons are odious, my mother always said, and I only saw the Met in the Live in HD, but this had what that lacked. It was exciting.

I'm not sure I like Sondra R's voice but she so took control and brought incredible drama to her portrayal. Most of the other singers were decent or better. I particularly liked Sonia Gonassi who sang well and was very moving as Jane Seymour.

Score another one for the Washington Opera!

Its also really fun to go to the Kennedy Center. :rollin:

14. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Yes to dinner, absolutely. We are going to want to discuss the performance. IIRC, I am in row EE over on the right side; I grabbed an aisle seat because it's easier on my legs.

15. SaSherka

I have to wait with my ticket purchase, but I assure you I'll be there one way or another!
    I may be going down just for the day, so will need to catch a bus back after the concert and CD signing (you bet I am getting my CD signed, along with a few other JDD fans I know :rollin: )

16. Marge_Simpson

SaSherka, have you bought a ticket yet?

17. SaSherka

Could not find the thread post-FSU update!
    Just bought a pair of 2nd row center parquet seats! Who wants to upgrade their ticket or invite a friend??? $61 with fees. Unfortunately, the $20 tickets I was hoping for are all in the Balcony, but there have been a number of returns in the orchestra, so I decided to splurge.

ETA: How rude of me! How are you dealing with the Sandy aftermath??? Hope you got spared. A lot of my friends were or still are without power.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  18. Marge_Simpson

I'm fine, and you aren't rude. :)
    I'm crossing my fingers that the performance is not cancelled - AFAIK, 57th Street is still blocked off. But if they are still selling tickets, I guess that's a good sign.
    Are we doing dinner afterwards?
    And BTW, would you use a clutch bag if you had one? ;)

19. SaSherka

I bought the tickets with hope that the performance is going to happen. If it is cancelled, I am sure CH will automatically refund tickets. If it's postponed, I hope it's for another weekend. Most likely no dinner or a very quick one for me as I'll have to catch the 6 or 6:30pm bus back.
    Clutch? Sure :D

20. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I just found out my friend Peter is also going, sitting at the other end of the row I'm in. We'll have a real entourage going soon.

Do not think this will be cancelled. I believe the crane has now been secured and people are being let back into the area.

21. SaSherka

I am in NYC! w\Went to La Clemenza di Tito last night and really enjoyed the whole thing - gorgeous music, pretty production. First time seeing the opera (except for watching scenes and knowing some arias). Most applause for Elina Garanca, but everyone sang well. Looking forward to the HD on Dec 1.
    See you at Carnegie Hall tomorrow! I am in the 2nd row (wheeeeee!) and will stay for the CD signing. I'll try to come up to dress circle during intermission. Marge, I'll PM you my # if you don't have it.

22. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I heard "Clemenza" on Sirius last night, and it sounded great.

Have a great time tomorrow at JDD everyone!

23. emason

emason Well-Known Member

We will, we will. Report will follow.

SaSherka, do try to come up. Marge, my friend Peter, and I are all up in the Dress Circle somewhere. I'm EE24 on the right somewhere on the aisle IIRC.

Warning though, the elevator at Carnegie Hall is a nightmare (unless it's been overhauled recently) - long lines and slow.

24. Marge_Simpson

Opera party! I will see everyone tomorrow. :)

25. SaSherka

Planning to get brunch at Carnegie Cafe (or whatever the place right across from Carnegie Hall is called)

26. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

So, so? How was it?

Elina Garanca was just interviewed on Sirius during the first intermission of tonight's "Aida" broadcast. She said she's making her NY recital debut at Carnegie Hall in April (6th), and will be singing Schumann's "Frauenliebe und Leben," some songs by Strauss, and something that some clashing out in the alley drowned out. She's just released an album, "Romantique," and maybe some of the encores will come from that.

The Aida, Liudmyla Monastyrska, sounds great over the radio.

27. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

I'm listening to the live stream of Aida right now. Looking forward to the Live in HD!

28. emason

emason Well-Known Member

It takes a lot to upstage the great goddess that is Joyce DD, but her red dress did just that. I think it's the same one she wears in the publicity photos: first half she started off with half the dress draped over her arms like a scarf. After a brief interlude for the orchestra to play without her, when JDD came back on stage the drapes were now tied up in the back as a bustle. After the intermission, the bustle was gone, and - wait for it - the skirt now had panniers. Then there were the removable sleeves. JDD knew her costume was upstaging her, so she even made a joke of it while modeling the ensemble for the audience.

Oh, sorry, you wanted to know about the singing - brilliant, naturally. Maybe my only minor complaint would be that since most of the arias were not well-known, it was a little odd to listen to them outside the context of the operas and try to relate. Otherwise, a great afternoon at Carnegie Hall.

29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Only JDD :lol:

I can't believe they're selling her new DVD of those arias for $6.99, $7.99 for the download.

30. Marge_Simpson

It was glorious. I've decided I love Baroque music. :)