Opera Suggestions

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by agalisgv, Oct 3, 2009.

1. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

2. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

I'd love to watch that, even though I'm not a singer, but I'll be at Europeans in Zagreb next week.

Can hardly wait to see/listen to her tomorrow in Maria Stuarda. I'm basically bursting with anticipation. I've stopped counting how many times I watched "Figlia impura di Bolena" on Youtube.:lol:
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  3. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

So, how AWESOME was Maria Stuarda HD? Hmm? I knew it would come out great on screen and it made me get that much more into the opera. Also, Elza van der Heever was an equal Queen to JDD's. I missed that subtle acting when I saw it live. Joyce didn't hold back in any of her scenes! If you haven't yet, do read her excellent introspective on the role of Maria Stuarda on her website.
    I screen-grabbed part of the intermission interview with JDD

emason, I am planning to see Rigoletto on Feb 16 in-house! (which means I will not come to that Handel @ CH). Isabel Leonard will have a recital in Boston as well, but it's the day after I am in NYC for Parsifal, so not sure I'll make it back in time...
  4. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

:cheer2: :respec:

5. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

OMG...:swoon:
    JDD reduced at least half of the audience in the movie theater to tears (me included, ha). The other half were more dignified, but just as awed.:) Seriously now, the whole atmosphere was great, you could feel people's emotion. I loved that!

I went crazy last week and bought myself a ticket to her Paris recital, one of the last ones, as it was almost sold out. Can't wait to listen to her live! I would have prefered to see "La donna del lago" in London, but oh, the prices at Covent Garden... So, "Drama Queens" it is, February 8th!
  6. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

Ditto! :swoon:
    Are you in Paris? You're going to LOVE "Drama Queens"! I think my personal recital highlight was Madre Diletta (though it was hard to pick the best!). And, um, I may or may not have gotten 2 tickets to 2 performances of La Donna del Lago the moment tickets went on sale to the public last week :shuffle: (and cheap too!)
  7. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

No, I'm in Bucharest, so I travel once or twice a year to other places in Europe to get my "opera fix".:) Very often to Theatre des Champs Elysees in Paris, (where I'm going to see Joyce too) which has not only affordable tickets, but also a fabulous schedule of recitals and operas. I never know what to choose at the beginning of the season.
    "Madre Diletta" is one of my favourites from the CD. And "Da Torbida Procella".

I think I've just turned green with jealousy. I checked on Friday, and all they had left were 150-200 pounds tickets... Next time I'll be more vigilent. She has to come to Europe next season too, right?:)
  8. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

green with jealousy at you being within a few hours of so many major opera houses and Euro-based singers... One day I will see Bartoli & Kassarova, hopefully before they retire or turn to some obscure repertoire. :lol: And :cheer2: for Da Torbida Procella!

Keep checking for returns. Although if you want to go really cheap, there are a few standing places available for a number of dates =)
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  9. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

I was one step away from seeing Bartoli at the Salzburg Festival last year. My friend and I were on the ticket waiting list, but we didn't get lucky in the end... I hope to see her live some day too, she's spectacular - but I much prefer JDD and her heart-melting voice right now.:)
  10. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

YAY, I tried again and actually managed to get a ticket!! Not the greatest view, but I'll be there!
  11. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

What date?? I have tickets for May 23 & 27 (the cinema broadcast date)
  12. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

I got May 27th too. Maybe we can meet there!:)
    There's a cinema in my city that broadcasts from Covent Garden, but it's usually taped. I'm not sure they have La Donna del Lago on the list.
  13. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

Sweet! Now I just have to get plane tickets... Btw, JDD has a solo song recital in Zurich on May 25. :shuffle:
    PS. There are a couple cinemas nearby that show European operas and ballets, but the schedule hasn't been released for May and after yet.
  14. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Most, if not all, of the Juilliard streamed shows are posted to their YouTube channel. I don't know how long it will take for them to put up the video, but if I find it, I'll post.

In the Q&A she just mentioned figure skating :cheer2: in the context of competitive mindset and how it could apply to singing.

Have a wonderful time! She was incredible in the HD; in the house, it will be that much better :)
  15. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

I managed to catch the second half of the masterclass (after the FD at Euros), but the internet connection at my hotel in Zagreb is so crappy... I would have loved to watch her interract with the students, they seemed to have so much fun! The only part that I could see without being frustrated by the continuous buffering was the final Q&A. She's so great to listen to - definitely not only at the opera!
    I really hope the whole masterclass gets uploaded on YouTube.
    About figure skating - I've heard her use this analogy before in interviews, and I think she's a FS fan!:) She mentioned how figure skaters take risks, that it's dangerous, but it's the only way ahead if you strive for perfection.

Oh, I had written my post before the HD broadcast... Would have given anything to see Maria Stuarda in the house, but helas, I live an ocean and half of Europe away from New York... Even watching the HD, though, was an incredible experience. It's going to stay with me for a long time.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I'm sorry, I read the dates wrong :eek:

I thought maybe you had traveled to NYC. The HD was fantastic. I hope they release this one on DVD.
  17. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

They'd better!! Not releasing it is not an option.:D
  18. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

19. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

At 8pm PST tonight, (in 13 minutes), KDFC is broadcasting a performance of Joyce DiDonato and Nicole Cabell in "The Capulets and the Montagues."
  21. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

How was it?
    I knew about the radio broadcast, but it was way too early in the morning for me. My consolation will be "Drama Queens" live on Friday night in Paris (which unfortunately means no TV/live stream from 4CC for me this weekend, and no chance of seeing Tessa and Scott compete... I guess I can't have it all, can I?)
  22. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

I tried to tune in, but couldn't get into it. Not sure if it was my audio or if I turned it on at the wrong moment. Or if I did not want to let go of the fantastic Fleming-Graham recital I attended earlier in the day ;)
    Btw, Drama Queens will be broadcast live from Brussels today at 20:00 local time (I assume 14:00 Eastern, 11:00 Pacific)
  23. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

Oh, Susan Graham's famous cigarette moment!:D I read about it on Opera Swag's blog. (it wasn't actually lit, was it?!)
    And I love Chants d'Auvergne! I have a collection sung by Veronique Gens.
  24. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

Haha, of course it wasn't lit!
  25. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

Opera Grammys:

Best Opera Recording
    Winner
    Wagner: Der Ring Des Nibelungen

James Levine & Fabio Luisi, conductors; Hans-Peter König, Jay Hunter Morris, Bryn Terfel & Deborah Voigt; Jay David Saks, producer (The Metropolitan Opera Orchestra; The Metropolitan Opera Chorus)
    Label: Deutsche Grammophon

Best Classical Vocal Solo
    Winner
    Poèmes

Renée Fleming (Alan Gilbert & Seiji Ozawa; Orchestre National De France & Orchestre Philharmonique De Radio France)
    Label: Decca Records

You can see the other nominees in these categories, and the other classical categories at this link
    http://www.grammy.com/nominees?genre=5
  26. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

Dang, JDD didn't win ;) jk I watched the live broadcast of these awards and I think most of the winners in the classical/opera categories skipped the awards. (It's OK, JDD should come back next season for her Drama Queens CD)

On a more relevant operatic note, this Friday is the opening night of Parsifal with a live online stream starting at 6pm EST http://www.metoperafamily.org/opera/parsifal-wagner-tickets.aspx
    Saturday is the Rigoletto "in Vegas" Live in HD, but I will be in house for it. Woohoo! Also, trying to find a decent ticket for Monday night's Parsifal.
  27. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

I still can't wrap my head around the idea of the "Rat Pack meets Verdi in Las Vegas":lol:, but I'm looking forward to hearing those great voices.

For those of us who have been waiting for it, Juilliard has posted JDD's master class on YouTube.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JuilliardSchool

The work she did with the young mezzo on "Svegliatevi nel cor" is absolutely amazing. After she retires from the stage (in about 50 years or so:)) she should teach, she's brilliant at it.
    kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  28. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

I hope she doesn't wait "50 years" to start teaching! Wait, hold on, she pretty much teaches already, via her masterclasses, vlogs, blogs and general enthusiasm towards music and life :) Three cheers to (belated) birthday lady!
  29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I had been stalking the Juiliiard site every day, including yesterday before they posted, and her it is! Thank you so much, IoanaC :cheer2:

When I heard the Q&A the first time, starting here and for about eight minutes, I was thinking about so many figure skaters:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7i5WKcqo4c&feature=youtu.be&t=7m38s

She even mentions ice skaters around 21'21"!
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  30. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

She mentioned triple Salchows a number of times in vlogs and interviews =)
  31. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

As if there weren't enough reasons to love her.
  32. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

So... how about that "Las Vegas Rigoletto"?:) I wasn't thrilled with the idea initially, but it actually worked dramatically (except for maybe Gilda's impulsive gesture of sacrifice, which doesn't really fit in the 20th century mentality, but that's probably debatable). The set was effective in the final act especially. So, not only did I not mind the staging, but the singing was wonderful. Lucic and Damrau - fabulous, every one of their duets was gorgeous.
  33. BlueRidge

I was excited to see it and I was not disappointed. They did a great job of transferring the story to 1960s Las Vegas. Loved the use of the neon lights in the final scene. Loved the rat pack jackets. I want one! :lol: I thought the gal in pasties doing a pole dance was the only thing that was a little much.

I've not seen a Live in HD with Diana Damrau before. I knew she was good but I was really wowed with her singing. Wow.
  34. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

For more Diana Damrau greatness (plus JDD and JDF), watch Le Comte Ory - Met, 2011. Absolutely brilliant singing and acting from all three of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEivbIRrmMU&list=FLyPjjor-UMBrpCGo55rsrtg&index=17

This is just the finale, but you'll find it all on YouTube.
  35. BlueRidge

I've watched a couple of those clips from Le Comte Ory before, that's how I knew she was good! I love those!
  36. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I love that scene! That was the day that Juan Diego Florez was with his wife and newborn son until about 30 minutes before curtain time. He sang that performance on no sleep, just amazing.

I loved the Vegas Rigoletto. I thought the sets and costumes were brilliant, and I thought the pole dancer was fine: it was out of "The Sopranos" and was a recognizable cultural reference.

Gilda is a really tough character to have come across. One of the issues is that Damrau has a matronly figure -- she's got two small children, but she still looks young. It's a nice figure, but even in a time when women weren't expected to be stick figures, she didn't look 14 or 15, or, maybe more to the point, she looked like she was playing 21-22. Sometimes it's easier to accept a 45-year-old playing a 15-year-old: it's like the difference in plays between wearing character shoes, which translates into "Whatever they were wearing at the time," and shoes from the '70's in a play about the 20's.

I've read a lot of Mary Gordon, who went to all-girls' Catholic schools in the '50's and into the '60's, and she's spoken and written about the cult around Jesus, suffering, and sacrifice. She spoke about wearing rocks in her shoes, and the competition among the girls to be the best fiance of Christ. Not all of them would become nuns, but it was a thought they all tried on. Considering how tumultuous adolescence is with all of the raging hormones, and combine that with a smothering father whose narrative consists of "Your mother was a holy angel" blah, blah, who has his daughter chaperoned everywhere, and is trying to protect her from the big, bad world, the bottom line is that she has no one to ask about what's happening to her and can't even learn from watching. The nuns aren't going to tell her, the priest in confession is going to shut her down, her father blows a gasket every time he perceives a threat, and all she knows is what she's been taught in church (or, presumably, Catholic school, since it's the '60's), and since she hasn't chosen to be a rebel, all of her fervor and imagination is couched in religious terms. No wonder she conflates, "Jesus died for your sins" with "I'll die for the sleazy no-good bastard's sins, since he needs salvation." Plenty of grown women have made the same decision, although theirs is a slow, everyday death.

I hadn't noticed before that Monterone is more of a prophet than one who simply curses. In the beginning he says, "You who mock a father's suffering, I lay the father's curse on you," but at the end of the penultimate act, when he's brought past Gilda and Rigoletto, he says, "All of this was in vain: the Duke will avoid punishment and keep living and debauching." He' has two things to say, and he's right both times.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  37. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

AG.. I don't have any suggestions but I did want to share an experience we had in Italy a few summers ago - I took my husband to a presentation of Great Opera Arias.. he really enjoyed it - likely the historic setting helped and the fact we were in Italy - but as an introduction for the world of opera it was a great first time.. (this is a guy that would be more comfortable going to a football game).. :)
  38. BlueRidge

oh...there I go being uncultured again... :lol:
  39. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

One of the recurring locations in "The Sopranos" was the Bada Bing! club. From what I'd heard of "Rigoletto" in advance, I thought there were going to be dozens of strippers and their customers throughout the scene, but she was one lone, bored stripper.

Štefan Kocán looked fantastic in his two Sparafucile costumes. And Abs of Steele Beczala did his own little gymnastics riff on the pole.
  40. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Three words for those of you who didn't make it to Carnegie Hall for Radamisto today:

Luca Pisaroni - swoon!