Opera Suggestions

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by agalisgv, Oct 3, 2009.

1. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

Link to the panel discussion playlist

Also, just got this tidbit from an opera friend. Sounds like a fun night at the opera! Saturday can't come fast enough :lol:
    Maria Stuarda (duh, JDD and Donizetti), La Clemenza di Tito, Les Troyens, Parsifal (what a cast!), Giulio Cesare, Dialogues des Carmélites (at least for the production), Francesca da Rimini (also for the production, but not thrilled about Giordani in the cast). And I guess all of the HDs.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  2. emason

emason Well-Known Member

La Clemenza di Tito and Les Troyens are high on my list after Giulio Cesare. I may even order the Met subscription that includes opening night of Giulio Cesare, just to see if the production team gets booed when it takes the stage. People are either going to love it or hate; there is no in-between with this production.

3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

La Clemenza and Les Troyens are two of my favorites. I have to figure out how to get to NYC next season.

4. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

I'm thrilled with the Live in HD lineup for next season. The ones I'm most excited about are Giulio Cesare, La Clemenza di Tito (Elīna Garanča :swoon: ), and Les Troyens.

I have not been to a live opera since the 1980s, when I saw the Met on tour at the Kennedy Center so I'm looking forward to seeing live opera at the Ken Cen next season. I like the Washington Opera's lineup, they have Anna Bolena with Sondra Radvonovsky, Don Giovanni, Manon Lescaut with Patricia Racette, and Norma with Angela Meade.

5. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

That's a fantastic lineup at Washington Opera. Meade's still young and early in her career, but she did a beautiful "Casta Diva" at her Met Council Auditions.

6. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

We seem to agree on La Clemenza, Troyens & Giulio Cesare.
    How did I miss that Meade is doing Norma at the WNO?? She sang it last summer at the Caramoor festival to glowing reviews. She is also apparently singing the role at the Met in a couple seasons. I may just make a trip to DC for it.

7. emason

emason Well-Known Member

A friend invited me to Manon at the Met last Wednesday night. It can be summed up in 3 words: loved, liked, loathed. Loved the music, liked most of the singing, loathed the production. The first act set is the most boring thing I have ever seen in my life; listening to that beautiful music while having to stare at a blank pale beige wall for an hour was awful.

Didn't hate Netrebko so much as I thought I would, but didn't love her either and the production straddles her with some very vulgar moments, especially in the St. Sulpice act.

Loved the Polish tenor, Piotr Beczala (sp?); he was a new find for me and he was superb. This is a big admission for me, as I normally don't like tenors very much at all; there is something about the tenor voice range that just doesn't appeal to me aurally.

8. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I'm going to see Puccini's Tosca at the National Centre for Performing Arts on Friday night. Reviews? What should I expect? (It's in Italian right?) I haven't been to the opera (unless you count the Chinese opera :shudder: in more than a decade, and can't even remember it...) I adore the NCPA so even if the show's terrible, I love the venue alone! Of course, I already know the music (and the story...)

9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

If that photo is the actual set, you'll see amazing sets and costumes in a traditional production.

"Tosca" is one of the shorter operas, and it's probably the most melodramatic opera of all. (The play on which it is based, by Sardou, starred Sarah Bernhardt.) It's got murder, mayhem, a :drama:, politiks, Napoleon (although not appearing on stage), torture, betrayal, :grope:, double betrayal, manipulation, abuse of power, :argue:, and the Church. Also two of the most beautiful tenor arias ever written, one in the first act and one in the third, and the end of Act I, with the counterpoint of the church service and Scarpia's outburst, roils with an enormous sound and the crashing chords that open the opera, which will be familiar from all of those "Tosca" skating programs.

10. emason

emason Well-Known Member

The third act set looks amazing; I want to get right on a plane and see this.

11. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I saw it last night, and everything about it was spectacular. :) Loved it, and would see it again in a heartbeat.

12. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Very lucky you;The Met has a heinous new production which is anything but spectacular.

13. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

14. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Ooooooh, sigh is right.

15. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

The reviews mentioned that the Houston production (borrowed almost last-minute from Minnesota due to original directorial team canceling) was quite boring and directionless. JDD & van Kooten were the true stars...
    Wish I could go to Houston again, but I am looking forward to the Met's take.

I've been on an operatic and symphonic roll here in Boston (and at the Met), but too hard to type up tons of impressions on the phone :)

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

17. emason

emason Well-Known Member

18. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

^^^
    Adding my thanks!

19. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

I am in a mild opera withdrawal (even though Met HD is starting to show up on PBS)
    I guess I am not the only one as there's this gem that bloomed a couple days ago.
    Enjoy! (It helps to know the singers / opera plots for this one)
    http://whatshouldwecallopera.tumblr.com/

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

That was great!!! (But so mean to Luisi :lol:)

21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Patti Smiths Top Five Operas

Scroll for the video.

I'm sure that many people who ask G-d why they have to suffer are as delusional as Tosca.

22. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I woke up at 5 a.m. to watch the live-stream of the Operalia competition from Beijing. American soprano Janai Brugger swept all the women's awards -- opera, zarzuela, and the audience award. The men's awards were heavily divided, with first and second place in the opera category ties. Mongolian baritone Amartuvshin and American counter-tenor Anthony Roth Costanzo shared the top prize in the opera repertoire.

Brugger is amazing. She won the Met competition earlier in the year and I saw her a few weeks ago as Musetta in La Boheme, where she absolutely stole the show. She has a tremendous future.

Amartuvshin has an incredible voice. I think he needs to work a little more at conveying the emotion of a piece, but I'm still very surprised by the tie.

It's available for rewatching here

23. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

reckless, 5 a.m. wow! I only watched the live awards as I couldn't wake up to watch the final live. I only heard Costanzo live twice before, so I am really excited he won (will watch the broadcast later). I hope to catch that LA Opera's La Boheme radio broadcast with Janai on June 23 (will post the link later). Curious to see where she goes after LA Opera young artist program.

24. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I'll admit that I had not planned on waking that early. I just happened to wake up and remembered that it was streaming. On a side note, I laughed yesterday when your congratulatory tweet showed up in my twitter stream.

I'm also very interested in seeing where Janai Brugger goes from here. There are only a few young actors and singers that I've seen who have made me really think "this person will be a huge success." After seeing her Musetta, I was left with that impression of Janai. We will definitely miss her in LA.

25. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

Busted! Haha! Twitter works in mysterious ways!
    I watched almost the whole broadcast and In addition to top winners, I liked the Russian mezzos.

26. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

27. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I was in San Francisco this weekend, and I heard Ferruccio Furlanetto as Atilla. That he was great was no surprise, but a lot of people were surprised by Quinn Kelsey, the Ezio. I wasn't, because he was a :kickass: Amonasro in Vancouver Opera's "Aida" a couple of months ago, but I still don't know why he's not more well known.

The big surprise for me was "The Magic Flute." I only went to hear Alek Shrader, the tenor who sang "A mes amis" in the 2007 Metropolitan Opera Council Auditions, which was part of the documentary "The Audition" -- I wanted to hear what he sounded like live, from the back row. (Lovely voice.)

OperaVision = :rockstar: In the Balcony, for a subset of performances per opera, they drop two screens from the ceiling and show the opera through cameras. It's like watching a Met HD, albeit on a smaller screen, but hearing it live, the best of both worlds plus you still can always watch the stage. Plus the camera caught the entrance of the :swoon: conductor, Rory Macdonald. (Without OV, from the Balcony he looks like an ant, if you can see him at all.) For this opera, it was always better to keep watching the stage, because of the way the projections blended into each other.

The Queen of the Night, Albina Shagimuratova, was the vocal star, but the best part of the opera were the sets and costumes by painter/sculptor Jun Kaneko, and realized by two video artists. The video gives a better sense of the singers, but the photos give a better sense of the production.

The good news is that it's a co-production with four other companies, and two will present it next season:

Opera Carolina (January 19, 24, 27 2013) -- Belk Theater
    Opera Omaha (February 22, 24 2013) -- Orpheum Theater

I can't find when Washington National Opera (Kennedy Center) and Lyric Opera of Kansas City plan to show it, but it's worth seeing when they do. It doesn't matter who sings it.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  28. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Thanks for the report. I've made it to Chicago for the opera. Next on my wish list is San Francisco.

29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I'm meeting some friends in Dallas for a weekend of "Moby Dick" and the Bellini "The Capulets and the Montagues" (with Joyce diDonato as Romeo) next fall. (They want to see Ben Heppner as Ahab; I'd rather have waited for Jay Hunter Morris.)

The SFO season is broken in two: the longer fall season with five-six operas, and then the shorter June-July with three after the SF Ballet season. Their summer clashes with the NY ballet season, and I would avoid the opera on Pride weekend: I wouldn't do it again if Melchior, Leider, and Schorr rose from the dead to sing The Ring.

I'm considering flying into Oakland: last Friday, due to fog SFO was down to one runway, and my 3:15pm flight took off well after we were supposed to have landed, and I missed "Nixon in China."

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  30. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I