Opera Suggestions

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by agalisgv, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Ania

Ania Active Member

One of my former students was involved in a similar project in Pittsburgh - The Bust Stop Opera: http://www.busstopopera.com/press.html
    They tour with this project around the US, next performance is in NY, I think.
    Her descritpion of the first time they did it was hillarious - a guy was trying to chat her up when she got the cue to start and had to break into singing.

2. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

This video certainly is making its internet rounds lately! I'd be thrilled to witness any carefully prepared "impromptu" staging, whether an opera or any of the ImprovEverywhere troupe sketches.

Keeping this on the subject - here's a recent article about Swiss TV project about bringing opera to the masses. (there are video links to La Boheme and La Traviata)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  3. poths

poths Well-Known Member

I'm going to see Madame Butterfly in, oh...3 hours! :cheer:

4. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

La Traviata @ the Met with Angela Gheorghiu was possibly the highlight of the season!

Btw, wanted to share this link with fellow opera fans - www.operacast.com - which lists radio broadcasts from all over the world, neatly organized by day and time! Enjoy!

Also, if anyone wants to go see Armida @ the Met on May 1st with Renee Fleming: I have one ticket (and theoretically two more) I'd like to sell. The show is pretty much sold out, but my goal is to see that night's Carmen with Jonas Kauffmann (which is also sold out, but hoping for standing room tickets...)

5. The Village Idiot

The Village Idiot Demon Barber

I wouldn't know. She was out when I went Tuesday. #notbitter

Though I did thoroughly enjoy my first Traviata. Still wanted to see Gheorghiu though.

6. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

Aww, too bad. She was in fine form a week ago (and pretty gracious with a few fans who stuck past midnight for an autograph =)) and on the broadcast today. You still have one last chance this Wednesday, standing room only though... Good chances of her showing up now that the international broadcast is behind her.

7. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

If there is anyone in Los Angeles who wants to see tomorrow's (Sunday's) matinee of The Stigmatized, I have an extra ticket. It's third row, dead center, and can be had for very cheap.

8. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

Just checking in to see if any New Yorkers or other FSUers in town would like my Fam Circle Armida ticket to tomorrow's sold out 1PM Met show for face value? (will likely be selling it right before the show anyway)

Or if anyone would like to join me in a quest to get Carmen tickets for tomorrow night with Jonas Kauffmann? ;)

9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

One of the great mezzo-sopranos of the 20th century, Giulietta Simionato, died seven days short of her 100th birthday.

Thanks to Mr. Padillo from the Opera-L list, here is a link to a clip on YouTube from a talk show which first airs an excerpt of a stage rehearsal of Mascagni's "Cavalleria Rusticana":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJEOtLpevs0

At about 10 seconds, that is a Level 10 face wipe.

In the scene, Simionato plays a teenager who is trying to get back the father of her child, sung here by Franco Corelli, the tenor heart-throb of the 50's-70's, who dumped her to become the boy-toy of someone else's wife. It doesn't work, and she's none too happy.

The second half of the footage is the talk show itself, and if the interview was aired in 2003, that meant she was 93 at the time :eek:

RIP, dear Simionato.

10. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

My sons have seen The Magic Flute, Barber of Sevilla and "the sequel" of it, La Nozze di Figaro plus a couple of Finnish operas. The Magic Flute is really good for the children. I would also recommend beethoven´s Fidelio and Mozart´s other lighter operas.

11. jollibee

jollibee New Member

For those who enjoyed the Live in HD broadcasts, just letting you know that, there will be more operas available this summer in your movie theaters!

As a continuation of the HD series, they will show a 'best of' operas from recent seasons, I guess. They will be Aida, Romeo &Juliet, Eugene Onegin, La Boheme, Turandot, Madame Butterfly, and Carmen. Six of them will be shown in the US meanwhile only four will be shown in Canada. More info is at the Met's site.

Although I saw Aida and Carmen, I think I will see all the 4 that's showing here. It's worth it to see them on the big screen.

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Thank you for the heads up -- I just bought at ticket for "Carmen" this Monday. I'm really looking forward to hearing Garanca.

Next season's HD broadcast list is great:

"Das Rheingold" (Richard Wagner) with Stephanie Blythe (Fricka) and Bryn Terfel (Wotan). It's part of the new Ring Cycle that Robert Lepage ("Damnation of Faust") is directing.

"Boris Godunov" (Modest Mussorgsky) with Rene Pape (Boris).

"Don Pasquale" (Gaetano Donizetti) with Anna Netrebko (Norina), Matthew Polenzani (Ernesto), Mariusz Kwiecien (Don Pasquale; this season's HD Escamillo)

"Don Carlo" (Giuseppe Verdi) with Marina Poplavskaya (Elisabetta), Roberto Alagna (Don Carlo), and Simon Keenlyside (Marquis de Posa, this season's HD Hamlet). Young Canadian conductor Yannick Nézet-Séguin is getting lots of great reviews.

"La Fanciulla Del West" (Giacomo Puccini) with Deborah Voigt (Minnie) and Marcello Giordani (Dick Johnson)

"Iphigénie en Tauride" (Christoph Willibald Gluck) with Susan Graham (Iphigenie), Plácido Domingo (Oreste), and Paul Groves (Pylade). Graham was gorgeous when this was done a couple of season ago.

"Lucia di Lammermoor" (Gaetano Donizetti) with Natalie Dessay (Lucia) and Joseph Calleja (Edgardo).

"Le Comte Ory" (Gioachino Rossini) with Diana Damrau (La Comtesse Adèle), Joyce DiDonato (Isolier, en travesti), and Juan Diego Flórez (Le Comte Ory, in drag as a nun).

"Capriccio" (Richard Strauss) with Renée Fleming (The Countess)

"Il Trovatore" (Giuseppe Verdi) with Sondra Radvanovsky (Leonora), Dolora Zajick (Azucena), Marcelo Álvarez (Manrico), and Dmitri Hvorostovsky (Count di Luna). This opera is notoriously difficult to cast, and this cast got raves last season.

"Die Walküre" (Richard Wagner) with Deborah Voigt (Brunhilde), Eva Maria Westbroek (Sieglinde), Stephanie Blythe (Fricka), Jonas Kaufmann :)swoon: Siegmund), and Bryn Terfel (Wotan).

http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/news/news_flash.aspx?id=11526

27 August is the day New York time that tickets go on sale to donors, with general sales in September (TBA).

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  13. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

Not a suggestion...but I'm off to the premiere of Amelia tonight at Seattle Opera.

Fingers crossed that it lives up to word of mouth.

14. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

The snippets I've heard from the Seattle Opera website and via the SO Facebook page are very impressive.

15. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

I'm surprized I'm the first to mention "What's Opera Doc?

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

17. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

Please, don't be alarmed if you're having a déjà vu! ;) I got the OK to resurrect this oldie, but goodie operatic thread to see if there's any interest in continuing the discussion.

Since this thread is mainly centered on the ever-expanding NYC's Metropolitan Opera Live in HD series, I thought it would be appropriate to start with the new season listing!

Who is going? What are you seeing?

2011-2012 MetOpera Saturdays Live in HD schedule

Donizetti’s Anna Bolena October 15, 2011, 12:55 pm ET

Mozart’s Don Giovanni October 29, 2011, 12:55 pm ET

Wagner’s Siegfried November 5, 2011, 12 pm ET

Glass’s Satyagraha November 19, 2011, 12:55 pm ET

Handel’s Rodelinda December 3, 2011, 12:30 pm ET

Gounod’s Faust December 10, 2011, 12:55 pm ET

The Enchanted Island January 21, 2012, 12:55 pm ET

Wagner’s Götterdämmerung February 11, 2012, 12 pm ET

Verdi’s Ernani February 25, 2012, 12:55 pm ET

Massenet’s Manon April 7, 2012, 12 pm ET

Verdi’s La Traviata April 14, 2012, 12:55 pm ET

18. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

I'm going to Don Giovanni, Rodelinda, and Faust. I really want to see Anna Bolena and may try for the encore on that one.

The Met's Live in HD series totally has gotten me excited about opera since I first went in '07. Its so fun!

19. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

I would love to see the Ring ones ( I have seen two full Rings live; in Copenhagen and in Seattle), but I think my husband is still travelling the 5th, so I have to stay home with the baby. Maybe I can go see Ragnarok (sorry long German name is long)

I would like to try and make La Traviata too.

I have never made it to the live in HD performances, but I really should, I know my parents are watching them - it would be so fun to see the same production even if we are 5000 miles apart!

I need to get my opera buddy excited - I need to look at live tickets for Seattle Opera as well for this season.

20. Civic

Civic New Member

"Amahl and the Night Visitors" by Gian Carlo Menotti and "Hansel und Gretel" by Engelbert Humperdink (the classical composer not the pop singer) are two other kid-friendly operas.

21. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I'm not going to any HD broadcasts but I have opera house tickets for Don Giovanni, Aida and The Enchanted Island. I may also try to pick up a ticket for Rodelinda if I think my budget allows.

22. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

I am going to The Enchanted Island as well, preceded by the opening night of Götterdämmerung. I also have tickets to L'Elisir d'Amore :)swoon:-worthy cast). I saw Anna Bolena dress rehearsal and I will most likely end up seeing all HDs either live or as an encore (cheaper than going to NYC)

23. emason

emason Well-Known Member

We must talk about The Enchanted Island after we have seen/heard it. It is either going to work or it isn't; I don't think there will be any in-between.

24. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Anne Boleyn is my favorite historical figure, but I was honestly unaware of the opera! I fully plan on seeing it.

I also want to get to the cinema to see the live broadcasts of at least Don Giovanni, Siegfried, and Faust. What I'm doing next semester is totally up in the air, as I will be student teaching finally :)

Nothing could make me go to the Glass though. Shudder.

25. emason

emason Well-Known Member

That is what I thought until I went to see it the last time the Met did it, maybe 3 years or so ago.

To say it was fabulous is an understatement; Richard Croft sings like a dream and the production is very theatrical and interesting. I cannot recommend it enough and I am not the biggest Glass fan around.

26. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I have a friend who did Einstein on the Beach for our music history final paper. She had me listen to one track. I only lasted about 30 seconds before I decided I was never listening to any of it ever again. Especially when she told me that the whole damned things sounds like those 30 seconds.

27. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

28. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I am a late comer to this thread, but Glass's 'Satyagraha' sounds very interesting.

29. emason

emason Well-Known Member

It's fabulous, really fabulous; I was totally shocked by how much I loved it when I saw it 3 + years ago. IIRC, it's sung in Sanskrit and visually it is arresting, with interesting stage design and use of puppets.

Most importantly, the Glass music is wonderful and does not drone on the way some of his compositions do.

30. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

I haven't seen it, but I am afraid it won't translate well into the HD broadcast, with all the close-ups and angle changes... I may try to get a ticket during this run.

Speaking of HDs, I really wanted to like Anna Bolena broadcast, but gave in to the darkness in the theater and started falling asleep in the last hour or so... Bummer...