Opera Suggestions

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by agalisgv, Oct 3, 2009.

1. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

The falsetto in Celeste Aida was in tune, but still weird. What bothered me more, though, was that there were parts where the other voices seemed to drown his - in the second act especially. Maybe the placement of the microphones had something to do with that too, I don't know. Still, I expected him to have a more powerful presence and I was kind of disappointed.

2. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

"Celeste Aida" was definitely in tune. The Tomb Scene, not so much. (I wished she had stabbed him in the ribs to stop him.) I agree he wasn't carrying very well throughout, but I think he held his own dramatically.

I read a couple of interviews with Borodina, who said she so preferred singing with Domingo than Pavarotti, because she felt that Pavarotti stood in one spot and did his own calculated thing and didn't care about his colleagues ("He's got this perfectly tuned machine but when he's singing he has cold eyes,") while Domingo cared about the drama. Alagna looked like he cared about the drama and was in the moment.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...lga-Borodina-the-diva-you-dont-mess-with.html
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2005/jul/28/classicalmusicandopera

Maria Nockin, who does a lot of reviews of regional opera especially, posted this link of an English translation of an interview with Monastyrska to the Opera-L list:
    http://www.day.kiev.ua/en/article/culture/liudmyla-monastyrska-besides-vocal-we-need-image

3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I just read a review of "Les Troyens," and it was probably Eric Cutler's Iopas with which I was impressed, not Giordani's Aeneas. I knew the music was familiar, but I didn't realize it was Iopas', since I don't know the opera very well.

4. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

Thank you for the interviews with Borodina! So no-nonsense, she's great!:lol:

5. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Yes, Giordani is the one who received the boos on opening night when my friend went. I'm curious to see what happens tonight when I go.

Also, re: Alagna and his acting talent, vocally he can certainly be hit or miss, but he is the only Don Jose I have ever seen who has been able to convince me that that character has a legitimate point of view and that the opera is not all Carmen all the time.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  6. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

That is a rare talent.

This was linked on Opera-L and

It's Neither April 1st nor Halloween

7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

SaSherka, were you at Les Troyens today? Thought I saw you when they were panning the audience before it started.

9. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

Haha decided to pop into the thread and I am mentioned! Sixth sense! Yes, I was in house and L-O-V-E-D all 5+ hours of Les Troyens (with a particular mention of Act 4 meltingly gorgeous love scenes)

Also saw Maria Stuarda the night before with lady JDD <3

10. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

I saw Les Troyens in HD and I too loved every minute of it. Susan Graham and Bryan Hymel were spectacular.

Can't wait for Maria Stuarda next week!

11. BlueRidge

Wheee, I wasn't really paying attention and then I said, hey wait a minute, I know that person! :lol:

I loved Les Troyens! I'm so envious you got to see it in person. :rollin:

I hadn't been paying attention so didn't know that Giordani had dropped out. I was thrilled with Bryan Hymel! Wow. And loved, loved, loved Susan Graham.

12. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

13. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

MetHD Les Troyens interview :swoon: x3

I wasn't excited about Les Troyens until the announcement that Giordani dropped out :lol: I knew Bryan Hymel would be fab (and he was, Sat as well as on his debut night 12/26 which was broadcast!)

As for Maria Stuarda, JDD was fantastic, but honestly, I wasn't crazy about the production (I also didn't have time to have dinner beforehand and was lacking sleep...). Just felt too static from up in the Family Circle / Balcony. I have a feeling it'll come off much better in HD as most of the acting was in minute details. I also loved the Met/Sirius broadcast - the power of this opera is in the music, imho, not in the staged grandeur as in Les Troyens.

Btw, just noticed that Angela Meade is singing in tomorrow's Il Trovatore broadcast, replacing Patricia Racette.

IoanaC, thanks for sharing Bonitatibus' Dido!!!

14. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

That's great news about Angela Meade.

How did Elza van den Heever sound?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  15. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Scotto said the same thing.
    It is amazing to listen to Pavarotti. But I definitely see the point of Leading Ladies who want their leading man to care about them for 3 hours:)
    And a friend sent me a link to "Wozzeck on Ice" a while ago. I am still laughing. Reminds me of a "Simpson"s episode when they did "Streetcar Named Desire The Musical" . Just too good.

16. BlueRidge

OH! Cool!

17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I've heard a lot of people over the years wish that Pavarotti's voice had been attached to a musician (and as long as they were wishing for the impossible, who looked like Franco Corelli).

18. BYTCH

BYTCH Celebrating Prancer's Specialness

I have few regrets in life, but two of them are I regret that I never heard Pavarotti live, and I regret never seeing Pasha skate live.

19. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

For me, the best live Pavarotti was in his first few New York recitals in the early-mid '70's. He sang every song like a jewel, like it was the first and last time he would sing it and like he had all the time in the world. He sang the Rossini "La Danza" and in at least one, ended part of the program with "Ingemisco" from the Verdi "Requiem," but he saved the opera mostly for his encores. Then he switched accompanists -- I think Martin Katz may have been his earlier one -- and there was talk of the first round of vocal problems, too -- and he was never the same. It was as if he were rushing through the songs.

He was a delight in "Daughter of the Regiment;" it suited him temperamentally and he was almost spry. In the other operas I had heard him in, it was nice to hear his voice, but they weren't the best or favorite performances of them that I'd heard.

20. emason

emason Well-Known Member

SaSherka: It sounds like you've been having a great time coming to NY for the opera. It was nice to meet you at the JDD recital; apologies for not mentioning it sooner. Maybe we will bump into each other at some future event.

Meanwhile, I got a new brochure from Carnegie Hall yesterday. On Sunday, Feb. 24, at 2pm is a concertized staging of Handel's Radamisto with, among others, David Daniels, Luca Pisaroni and Patricia Bardon. Attn: Marge_Simpson, if you are still interested in Baroque opera, then get a ticket for this. I found a decent one in the Dress Circle and there are still seats available.

I also picked up a ticket for Isabel Leonard's Tues., April 9, vocal recital in Zankel Hall.

21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

22. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

I'd love to watch that, even though I'm not a singer, but I'll be at Europeans in Zagreb next week.

Can hardly wait to see/listen to her tomorrow in Maria Stuarda. I'm basically bursting with anticipation. I've stopped counting how many times I watched "Figlia impura di Bolena" on Youtube.:lol:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  23. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

So, how AWESOME was Maria Stuarda HD? Hmm? I knew it would come out great on screen and it made me get that much more into the opera. Also, Elza van der Heever was an equal Queen to JDD's. I missed that subtle acting when I saw it live. Joyce didn't hold back in any of her scenes! If you haven't yet, do read her excellent introspective on the role of Maria Stuarda on her website.
    I screen-grabbed part of the intermission interview with JDD

emason, I am planning to see Rigoletto on Feb 16 in-house! (which means I will not come to that Handel @ CH). Isabel Leonard will have a recital in Boston as well, but it's the day after I am in NYC for Parsifal, so not sure I'll make it back in time...

24. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

:cheer2: :respec:

25. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

OMG...:swoon:
    JDD reduced at least half of the audience in the movie theater to tears (me included, ha). The other half were more dignified, but just as awed.:) Seriously now, the whole atmosphere was great, you could feel people's emotion. I loved that!

I went crazy last week and bought myself a ticket to her Paris recital, one of the last ones, as it was almost sold out. Can't wait to listen to her live! I would have prefered to see "La donna del lago" in London, but oh, the prices at Covent Garden... So, "Drama Queens" it is, February 8th!

26. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

Ditto! :swoon:
    Are you in Paris? You're going to LOVE "Drama Queens"! I think my personal recital highlight was Madre Diletta (though it was hard to pick the best!). And, um, I may or may not have gotten 2 tickets to 2 performances of La Donna del Lago the moment tickets went on sale to the public last week :shuffle: (and cheap too!)

27. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

No, I'm in Bucharest, so I travel once or twice a year to other places in Europe to get my "opera fix".:) Very often to Theatre des Champs Elysees in Paris, (where I'm going to see Joyce too) which has not only affordable tickets, but also a fabulous schedule of recitals and operas. I never know what to choose at the beginning of the season.
    "Madre Diletta" is one of my favourites from the CD. And "Da Torbida Procella".

I think I've just turned green with jealousy. I checked on Friday, and all they had left were 150-200 pounds tickets... Next time I'll be more vigilent. She has to come to Europe next season too, right?:)

28. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

green with jealousy at you being within a few hours of so many major opera houses and Euro-based singers... One day I will see Bartoli & Kassarova, hopefully before they retire or turn to some obscure repertoire. :lol: And :cheer2: for Da Torbida Procella!

Keep checking for returns. Although if you want to go really cheap, there are a few standing places available for a number of dates =)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  29. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

I was one step away from seeing Bartoli at the Salzburg Festival last year. My friend and I were on the ticket waiting list, but we didn't get lucky in the end... I hope to see her live some day too, she's spectacular - but I much prefer JDD and her heart-melting voice right now.:)

30. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

YAY, I tried again and actually managed to get a ticket!! Not the greatest view, but I'll be there!