"Only variables should be passed by reference"

Discussion in 'Board Business' started by barbk, Jan 16, 2014.

1. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

FWIW, I get this message at the very top of the screen when I post a reply...it is labeled as an error message, but doesn't seem to affect the post in any way I see.

(I know what passed by reference, passed by name, and passed by value mean; I just don't know why this particular message is being displayed.)

2. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Is it after an edit of the original post? That's when I see it.

3. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Same here. Doesn’t seem to be an issue, though. Every thing posts correctly.

4. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Yes. But like Reuven said, it doesn't seem to break anything. Just weird.

5. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

Warning: Declaration of vBForum_Item_SocialGroupMessage::getLoadQuery() should be compatible with that of vB_Model::getLoadQuery() in ..../packages/vbforum/item/socialgroupmessage.php on line 261

Warning: Declaration of vBForum_Item_SocialGroupDiscussion::getLoadQuery() should be compatible with that of vB_Model::getLoadQuery() in ..../packages/vbforum/item/socialgroupdiscussion.php on line 337

not sure what exactly I pressed to get this response :lol:

6. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Just be sure you don't press something that launches the missiles! ;)

7. SHARPIE

SHARPIE Hapless Board Owner Staff Member

Sorry guys, there's no fix that can be found for this. We are planning a total change of software at the end of the season so should get rid of the bugs :)

I will be looking for testers to try out the new software before it goes live too.

numbers123 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Sharpie,

If you are looking at new software, please take a good look at the uproar on College Confidential when they switched to Vanilla forum software a couple of weeks ago. Huge usability problems, including non-functional mobile applications. I don't know if it was a function of a really bad implementation, weaknesses in the user interface design choices, or something else, but it has been a mess.

9. Server Guy

Server Guy Guest

Thank you for your opinion. Do you mind providing me with a link to that site so I can take a look? For the record, we're not going with that software and the one we are going with has been tried and tested by me on a variety of different sites and the results have been positive. vBulletin (our current software) is no longer supporting the version we're using on FSU and it is starting to show it's age, it uses outdated technologies, etc. The software I have in mind is being considered so we can better provide for users of the site and offer them a more interactive and dynamic experience, in addition to ease of use.

10. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member