Online skates recommendation

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by TAHbKA, Mar 4, 2013.

1. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Heya,

I work on the local ice rink during the public skates (basically my job is to kick parents off the ice and call the paramedics if needed). I get to spend 3-4-5-6 hours on with the skates on. That's about it - I don't plan jumping anything more than half loop any time in the future and I will probably never learn to spin. The ice rink is open for 2-3 months a year, during the rest of the year I get to skate 5-6 times for 3-4 hours.

I have some crappy `made in China' skates that I bought for 30E 5 years ago in Finland. They were just fine, but the leather (I doubt it's actually leather, but who cares) is completely torn around the ankle and am not ready to pull a Fernandez and skate with the tape around the boot.

So which skates would you recommend taking
    1. I will have to order online - there are no ice skates shops in my country
    2. I need a soft comfortable boot, don't care much about the blade
    3. It has to cost (shipping included) under 75E (otherwise I get into the tax area... complications and headache) and they have to ship overseas
    4. I want them to survive a few years, but it doesn't have to be the last pair of skates ever.

Thanks!

2. treesprite

treesprite Member

I ordered mine from Kinzies Closet. Great prices - I spent almost $200 less than I would have on the same items at a local pro shop. Also good customer service.

You could go for one of the Jackson "Soft skates". Where I work uses them for some of their rentals and those are the ones the coaches tell people to use if rentals are needed.

TAHbKA and (deleted member) like this.
  3. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I also recommend the Jackson "Soft Skates". They're actually really good basic recreational skates.

TAHbKA and (deleted member) like this.
  4. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I like the Jackson SofSkates too, but not the Glaciers. They don't have enough support for adults.

5. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Thank you all very much! treesprite, Kinzies Closet's customer support is awesome. Thanks!

6. treesprite

treesprite Member

Did you order from there?

7. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Am still hesitating. I.e. if I decide to order those skates it will be through them for sure. However, the models they recommend (and sell) are a bit too expensive to order without trying (and also too professional for me. I.e. the skates they recommend are good for double jumps, which I will never attempt. My impression it'll be quite painful breaking those boots, and not having an intention to jump it seems useless. I think....)

8. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Do you have no chance at all to try any boots on? Even if it was not quite the model you want, at least to know if the boots within that brand fit you... Different brand fit different feet. Some are better for narrow feet, some for wider feet, some for narrow heel and wider toe... if you get boot with too narrow toe area, you will suffer frequently with cramps and you will grow bunions. If you get wider boot, it may be ok in the toe area but too wide in your heel and then your heel would be slipping - not very helpful for learning anything in those boots. My first boots were too narrow for me in the toe area (without me even realising it) and as a result I got awful bunions. Since then I know that Edea is not my brand. It is really hard to buy boots without being able to try them on (unless you are buying the same brand you have had before, which doesn't apply to you).

In Kinzies Closet they discuss which boots are better for narrow feet (Risport), then what is wider, then even wider and the widest. Unfortunately their comparison doesn't include all the major brands, but I found it very helpful. Maybe read through it if it helps.

9. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

No.

10. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  11. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

I can't try Graf just as I can't try Jacksons nor Ridell. So either would be a bet.

The rest is in the PM:)

12. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Rainbo Sports was able to make recommendations for me based on tracings of my feet that I faxed to them. I didn't like the first pair they sent though, so they sent another and those were okay (I ended up changing to another size a year later). It was a bit expensive to ship back and forth though, but having them look at the tracings was better than just guessing.

13. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Thanks! They might be able to advice on something, but their prices are more or less the same as in Kinzies Closet. I can ask the same questions and will probably get the same advice, which will leave me where I am now - not daring to order something for 200$ without trying it first. I now know more or less what type of skates I should be looking for.

Not quite what I expected: skating on a 30E crap I assumed there would be 2-3 companies that produce the same crap and it would be easy to get a new crap:)

14. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

You could also try Edea. They have low level skates with blades, and IME their skates are quite comfortable. The insides can be molded to your feet. One of the main reasons I bought mine was the price - it was quite a bit less that what I had paid for my old Klingbeils.

Being a European company may be a help for you as far as customer service - I only have US contacts, though.

15. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Thanks. From what I read and was adviced Edea will not fit me. As for modelling for my feet - I doubt it can be done online and am not sure I'm willing to ship my feet abroad:)
    Am not in Europe, so European shops would be just as useless as the American for me.

16. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Can lower level Edea be heat-molded? I thought that only higher level of boots in most brands are heat moldable.

17. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

You don't need to ship your feet abroad. I successfully heatmolded my Jacksons. You are risking that you will bake them though! :lol:

18. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Mmm. Afraid I don't know. :(

19. Diane Mars

Diane Mars Active Member

Regarding the heat molding, here's a translation from a post I made on a french board that IceMom (where is he ? What's going on ?) put on her blog in April 2010, if it can help ! :

Of course, I tried this by myself and that's the result of my own experience.

Ragarding a brand of skates, why not having a look at head skates ? I don't have any idea of the prices, but I think you should be able to find something which fits your budget :)

20. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

OMG, the head skates are so cute! Not sure how good they are for actual skating, but the look is 10 out of 10!

21. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I stuck my Jacksons into normal owen to heatmold them. I downloaded some advice from the internet about how to do it. First I made the owen hot, then I switched it off and put them in for about 5 minutes. It worked.

22. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

I didn't realize ice skates were possible to heatmold (I knew that about bont speedskates...). Hm... now that sounds more interesting:)

23. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Only some, not all. Usually the higher level of boots, not the recreational ones.

24. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

I don't know in how much of a hurry you are but if you're willing to wait until May, you could probably get something here (again). ;)

25. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Hanna, I think that's the most plausible. I bought the previous pair in intersport, but if I recall they only had the crap I bought or Rispot (which seems a bit too much). Are there any other stores in Helsinki? (will you take me there?:)))

26. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

So you're looking for something that's a bit better than the 30€ skates but not quite Risport etc.? Do you have a budget (if shipping + taxes won't be an issue)?

May is sort of "off season" for general sports stores (like Intersport) to be selling skates so I don't know what kind of variety they will have... but the stores that are specialized in figure skating sell skates all year long, of course.

And yes I'll take you to a shop if needed. :p

27. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Shipping/taxes will not be in issue if I take the skates in my luggage (which I will).
    Budget? Am not sure. Guess anything around 200$ is fine, but I still want a soft-ish boot.
    The Rispot I saw 5 years ago was 140E or so, which is fine, but the boot was far from soft.

Yay, thank you!!!!!

28. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

OK so basically your budget allows you to go to the pro shops instead of general sports store/market stuff. :)

There are two pro shops in Helsinki that have Riedell, Risport, Edea, Jackson and Wifa for beginners/recreational (between 100 and 150€, mostly). I have no idea how soft the boots are though... Figure skates often don't tend to be very soft (until you've broke them in) but I guess the beginner ones may be a bit different? At least you'll get the chance to try them on though instead of just buying blind.

Here are links to the boots that the stores recommend for beginners
    http://verkkokauppa.luckyskate.fi/product_catalog.php?c=130 (this store is very Riedell orientated)
    http://skateshop.fi/naytatuotteet.php?lTuoteRyhmaTunniste=13 (this store has more variety but the prices are not online... I'm pretty sure that most of it is between 100 and 150 though)

29. J-Ro

J-Ro Member

Some brands are heat-moldable because the interior support is plastic, not leather. You can't heat mold leather, of course. If you are a recreational skater, you may like Jacksons. I would go for something a bit more substantial than the soft skate, though. It's REALLY soft. A friend of mine runs a skate shop in Boston. If you send your foot measurements, she could likely find something that would fit and be appropriate. She's very good.

I would recommend the Jackson Mystique. This is a recreational set but better than the Glacier series or the Softec. It's about $100 or 77 euros. Yes, there are cheaper boots, but you just don't want to put any old junk on your feet, either, because skating is so much more enjoyable with proper equipment.

30. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

אThanks J-Ro!

so I tried the Edea boots - it seems allright - apparently my foot is not as wide as I thought it was.

Hanna, the prices in Finland seem to be a bit on the high end....

Another trouble is the shipping - apparently to ship anything from the USA would cost about 60$, which would also mean I'd have to pay a tax in Israel....

Checking the options of someone going there and bringing me the skates, but am less and less optimistic about that ....