One of my good friends is facing amputation- any alternatives?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Vash01, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Type 2 does not really need insulin unless it's in an advanced stage. Most people manage it well with proper diet, regular exercise, and oral medicine. Unfortunately in many cases it goes undetected, unless people have annual exams to catch it early. Type 1 is much worse, but it seems there may be a medicine on the horizon for type 1. Not so for type 2, so discipline is really important. I had an uncle with diabetes, and he lived to be 86 or 87. He was extremely disciplined in his life style; he even turned down promotions in his career because they would have disrupted his regular schedule.

2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Simone411, I'm glad you found this thread.

Vash, sending support to your friend.
    Please, keep us updated.

Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

So am I, skatesindreams. One of the things I appreciated the most was all the prayers and support from so many wonderful people here at FSU. It's such a comfort to know that so many here are also praying and giving support to Vash's friend. Vash, please keep us informed about your friend, and may God bless. <3

4. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Forms are completed (PRI in NY) and sent electronically (we use ECIN) to patient's 3 choices of facilities (per Medicare guidelines patients must ebe given a list of facilities and they select 3).Facilities will review and admit depending on bed availability, pts specialized needn etc.It does not take more than a day for this to be determined once patient is medically stable for discharge.

Hope your friend continues to improve

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Vash01

I feel very grateful for fsu and particularly to those who have responded to this thread, expressing support for a total stranger- my friend Bobbie. You guys are wonderful. Thank you for all your contributions here, and I am sure your good wishes have helped Bobbie.

Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Simone411

That's sort of what happened with me. I'm not sure how it works with each state, but I was assigned a social worker while I was still in the hospital. She helped me with application for Medicaid. I remained in the hospital for two months because of the severity of my condition. My social worker made arrangements with a nursing facility, and the administrator of the nursing facility came to visit with me a couple of days before I was discharged from the hospital. I was transported immediately to the nursing facility for rehabilitation. I believe the social worker did send applications to three different facilities. The nursing facility I chose accepted me before I started receiving Medicaid. I started receiving Medicaid about three months later.

7. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about your friend's ordeal Vash :( She sounds very brave. A family friend just lost her leg due to diabetes complications, and it really is heart breaking. Hopefully she has a speedy recovery, and is well taken care of during her recovery and rehab process.

8. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Vash - my best to Bobbie. Now that the surgery is over, her journey back to home can begin.

Was it a below the knee amputation? Or at the ankle? I think the most common is below the knee, helps with stability. Rehabs are doing amazing work these days. And prosthetic doctors are rock stars. There are so many advances happening in the artifical limb fields these days - my coworker is getting a state of the art leg from the same guy who did my father's 'legs'. He made housecalls and worked with all ages.

A quick hospital stay after amputation is the norm. The sooner the patient leaves the hospital, the sooner the healing starts. My coworker was in the ICU for about 2 months. He went to rehab 3 days after the surgery. That's when we knew he was going to be okay.

One thing I found for my father that was a godsend after the surgery was a piece of memory foam (for the stump to rest on). There's even gel foam pillows you can get that would work. It cushions without pinching and hurting. And helps with elevation.

9. Vash01

dbell1,

It was below the knee amputation (I just got done talking to her on phone, about 15 minutes ago). The surgeon discussed the two possibilities with her and she opted for 'below the knee' for the same reasons you mentioned. She sounded well. She is a strong lady, and this makes me really admire her courage.

Thanks for sharing all the information.

dbell1 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Best wishes to your friend, vash01. Sounds like she has a positive mindset, which helps so much.

11. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Wow, Vash, that's some story, good luck to your friend, she seems to have a great attitude.

12. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Thoughts and prayers for your friend, Vash. I hope she has a good recovery.

13. Vash01

I visited my friend Bobbie in the hospital, after work tonight. She was in excellent spirits, and very positive, despite the amputation. We had a nice chat about different things. She will be moved to a rehab facility tomorrow morning. Once she is strong enough, she plans on telecommuting to work. She has the support of her management to do that, when she is ready. It means she has a job and the health insurance. It really helped her to have this health insurance through our employer (we work for the same employer; different locations).

She made a very informed decision about going for the amputation- she consulted with various doctors and did some research on her own- and she seems satisfied with her decision. It was really great to see her smiling. I believe she is going to be just fine.

14. skatesindreams

What great news
    Prayers and thoughts for Bobbie's continued progress.
    You are a good friend.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  15. Vash01

Thanks so much! BTW it's Bobbie (not Bonnie) :)

16. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Sounds great! :)

17. Vash01

Bobbie was transferred to a rehab center yesterday. She is getting used to the routine there. I won't be seeing her for about a week, at her request, but will keep in touch with her through email.

18. Simone411

Thanks so much for the update, Vash. I'm so glad to hear that she's been in such good spirits. It's good to know that you can keep in touch with her this week through e-mail.

19. skatesindreams

I'm glad that she is making good progress.

20. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

Thanks for the updates; I've thought of her and sent good thoughts her way. :)

21. Vash01

She sounds like she is VERY busy at the rehab. She is responding to emails less frequently, and she does not want any visitors or gifts. So I have not seen her since Wed. She is emailing however. She says she does not have much space there, so gifts would create clutter. I hope she does not get depressed.

She did say that after she is home, she will need help, so no visitors until then. I am glad that she is asking for help in the future. She tends to be very independent, which is a good thing, and it must be doubly hard for her to ask for help. I think the adjustment period after she returns home is going to be difficult for her. However, her brother is arriving on March 7th and having her immediate family with her is going to help her a lot emotionally. We are all sending her prayers and good thoughts.

22. skatesindreams

She's adjusting to her "new normal"; and the routine that comes with it, I'm sure.

Just continue to be supportive.
    The time will come when she will welcome you.

23. Phiberoptik

Phiberoptik New Member

Vashi:

There is a listserv (discussion group) at the University of Washington since 1995 for amputees to discuss issues of concern
    and to receive replies from those who have been there. The list is AMP-L@u.washington.edu and it is well run-moderated.

To SUBSCRIBE to AMP-L visit

http://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/amp-l/

Subscribe to Amp-L by filling out the form. You must include your FULL name. Failure to do so will result in removal.
    You will be sent e-mail requesting confirmation which prevents others from gratuitously subscribing you. AMP-L is a
    hidden list, which means that the list of members/subscribers is available only to the list administrator for the sake of privacy.

You will receive a confirmation notice which requires you to reply,
    insuring you are indeed subscribing from the address sent.

Only subscribers are permitted to post messages to AMP-L and may post ONLY from the subscribed address.

You friend is welcome to subscribe.

Best to you both

Phiberoptik

24. Vash01

Phiber,

Thanks for the information. I will pass on this information to my friend who is in rehab right now. I think at some point she may want to subscribe to groups like this one.