Once Upon a Time

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rjblue, Nov 6, 2011.

1. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Is anyone watching tonight, with bated breath, like I am.

I'll spoiler my comments, in case someone who can't watch yet opens the thread.

When John Doe/Charming grabbed her arm, I was very startled. I was expecting a slow eye opening.

I love how they are interweaving the fairytale land this episode.

2. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

Are you already watching it?

I panicked when I read your post because I thought I had missed it. The time change made me think it was later but it will be on in about 10 minutes here.

3. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I'm in the Atlantic time zone, so I sometimes get shows an hour earlier. It was a great episode. I really enjoy the slow reveal of the enchanted story, intertwined with the modern day story. I like the differing camera work/colours for the two eras. My son is not too impressed with the CGA but I don't find it distracting.

More spoilers-
    I'm also a bit bugged about the mayor/Henry relationship. I just can't believe that she's been a completely evil Mom. I'd like to know how she came to get custody of him. And that last look between Mary-Margaret and the John Doe was heartbreaking.

4. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I'm watching :). And I'm marking it down as watched in my Nielsen Diary, so it's a point toward keeping it here.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Oh shoot, I had it on the wrong channel and missed the first few minutes. DUH. :eek: I've been looking forward to this one, too. The show's been only so-so thus far, IMO, but this ep looks good.

6. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I watch it on time shift so I can everything in.
    6 pm is this show
    7 is Battle of the Blades
    8 is Amazing Race
    9 is Good Wife

Normally I'd start it all an hour later but since the stupid time change took place last evening, my body is still on "old time" and finishing up at the new 10 is like finishing at the "old" 11 for me.

Really enjoying how to interweave between the two timelines. And how cool is it that Ms Swan is rooming with "her mother" (at least I think I've got that relationship correct?)

7. Wyliefan

I really liked that. Especially the way Prince Charming got his name. :D

8. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I love this show so much. That is all.

9. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

This is a great show. I'm loving it, which surprises me a bit.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  10. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Great episode. Is Prince Charming's fiancee in real fairy tale?

This show would fall so flat if PC and SW had no chemistry. Thankfully, they do. And James is smokin' in that tight leather vest. I also think Mary Margaret and Emma have a chemistry. I loved the quiet ending.

11. AshleyN

AshleyN Well-Known Member

I think this was my favourite episode yet. Agreed with those who said that the flashbacks were really well integrated this episode - it seemed to flow better between the two world's than the previous two.

In a relatively short amount of time they managed to totally sell me on the romance between Snow White and Prince Charming (Josh Dallas and Ginnifer Goodwin have terrific chemistry), to the point where I was kind of devastated when his "wife" showed up. I'm curious to find out whether she's really his wife or not - while I'm obviously hoping she isn't, I can't help but think it might be more interesting if she is. Liked that they took turns saving each other too, and that Snow White isn't just a typical damsel in distress here. Even though it was kind of cheesy and predictable, I even loved the scene with her "kissing" him awake.

12. PRlady

PRlady Who gives a fig?

This show is much better than I thought it would be, and I think it's the acting as well as the writing. The premise made me :rolleyes: but I admit I'm getting hooked. :shuffle:

13. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Like the show...like that the first three "starring" are women--I'm so used to seeing shows that list several guys and maybe one or two girls in supporting roles. And I feel old as I remember Ginnifer Goodwin as a very nerdy teenager in "Ed." If you would have told me then she would be Snow White I would have been shocked. But she is luminous.

14. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I find it quite interesting that diabolical momma names the son she "found" none other than Henry. The very name of the loved one she had to kill to get the power she wanted - the heart of her own dad!

15. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

I was so skeptical at first when I heard about this show; I only checked it out because it's from the creators/writers of LOST, and I wanted to see what they came up with next. Each episode has been stronger than the last so far, IMO. Last night's episode was fantastic, and I already cannot wait to see what happens next week!

16. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

I agree. I hope the trend keeps up and that it was just an issue of the writers and actors getting more comfortable with their characters and story lines.

17. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Yep I agree that it only keeps getting better. So far miss mayor(evil witch) is keeping up her facade well.

I hope this is getting great ratings and will be around for a while.

18. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I'm not sure if the show I watched last night was the latest one or the previous week's, because I thought I had missed an episode, but last night's seemed to pick up after the pilot.

Anyway, I really like the show. I know several reviewers have said Grimm is the better show, but I think they're different enough to stand on their own - and I really like Once Upon a Time. All the actors are great (I'm a big fan of Lana Parilla), and the setting reminds me of shows like Persons Unknown or even Happy Town (stop rolling your eyes Peter G!!!). I really hope this one sticks around.

19. AshleyN

Really? Weird - I haven't watched Grimm, so I wouldn't know, but just about every review that I saw that compared the two shows said this one was better.

20. emason

emason Well-Known Member

They aired two episodes last night - a repeat of last week's episode followed by the new one for this week. Maybe you caught the first but not the second.

21. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I agree that they are different enough from each other, the comparison is minimal. You might as well compare it with True Blood, or Terra Nova. ;)

That being said, though, I much prefer this show to Grimm. I gave Grimm 2 episodes, but now I'm done. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't special either. And there's just way too much good & interesting TV on right now.

Once Upon a Time, oth, is great. Fresh, original, all good stuff. And I'm even starting to like Jennifer Morrison. A little.

I don't have a time-shift option, but because a couple of the shows are at different times on their Canadian carriers in the BC time zone, I do have a choice. Which is good, since about 50% of my must-see TV is on Sunday nights right now! But even with that I still have to press the DVRs into service. So I have to fit in the most efficient combo of:

6:00 Masterpiece (2 hr)
    7:00 Once Upon a Time
    8:00 Battle of the Blades / Once Upon a Time
    9:00 The Good Wife / Masterpiece
    10:00 PanAm / The Good Wife

22. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

I think Prince Charming's fiancee is going to turn out to be
    Cinderella

23. Wyliefan

She's doing great, I think. I always thought the problem with Cameron was the writing, not the acting, and now I think she's confirming that.

Why the House writers have had so much difficulty writing women, I can't begin to fathom. . . .

24. AshleyN

Wasn't his fiance the girl in the carriage/the woman who showed up at the end?
    Cinderella is in the next episode, played by a different actress. For anyone who watched Veronica Mars, you might recognize her as Hannah, the plastic surgeon's daughter/Logan's brief love interest from Season 2.

25. genevieve

That must be it - I was surprised to find it on at 7pm, thought it was on at 8pm (sounds like that's the norm) and I watch TAR then.

At least I'm now only 1 ep behind :)

26. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I tried watching Grimm and actually fell asleep during this past week's episode. I'm finding it to be something to watch if there's nothing else on.

With OUAT, I cannot wait for each episode. I record it and watch it again. The acting is great and the story is compelling. What's not to like? I can't wait for it to be released on DVD so we can see extras and interviews and so I don't have to keep fast-forwarding through commercial breaks!

27. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I love this show and I kind of hope they keep airing the previous week's episode before the new one because that means I won't get behind. I have youth group every other Sunday evening at church so I'll be missing every other episode without those reruns. If they don't do that though, thankfully this show ends up online pretty quickly and I can get caught up. It sounds like I missed a great episode last night! I'll have to watch it online soon. :(

28. Marlowe

Marlowe Well-Known Member

Ditto, Ditto, and Ditto! Of all the new shows this season I think this one has the best actors and the best production values. Robert Carlyle is no shrug! I like revenge but after last week's episode I'm hooked.

29. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I also thought that perhaps the fiancee (or soon to be) was Cinderella. The only problem with that is that this lady was portrayed as a spoiled brat and clearly that isn't in line with Cinderella. We know she comes from royalty as he mentioned the merging of two Kingdoms. I can't think of who she would be but perhaps she isn't even supposed to be anyone well known. The other obvious choice would be one of the evil stepsisters from Cinderella but again, not from royal blood.

This show is getting better and better. When I first saw the previews I :rolleyes: and thought it looked dumb. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

30. genevieve

whee, I got caught up, although hulu had a problem and I missed the last 2 minutes of the latest episode. Anything super dramatik happen at the end?