Once upon a Time Season 3 - to Neverland and beyond!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Yes, I know, we still have nearly 4 weeks to wait ... but I wanted to get a jump on things. I took advantage of some inclement weather over the long weekend to finish the DVD set, re-watching some of my favourite episodes from last season, as well as the various extras. The highlights were the commentary episodes, esp. the season 2 opener with Ginny Goodwin and Josh Dallas (fun little behind-the-scenes tidbits, like the one they did for season 1), the one with Robert Carlyle, and the season ender with Colin O'Donoghue. There was also a nice little fluff piece on O'Donoghue (hmm, think they're pushing his star much? not that I mind ...) and one called "Girl Power" about the bad-assery of all the female leads.

So, any thoughts about where we'll go in season 3?

There wasn't much of a goodbye with the rest of the Storybrookers either -- do you think there will be many storylines there while most of the leads are gone? Last season we still had David, Rumple, and Henry in town to anchor those storylines, so that worked. It would be great to have some stories focusing on Belle, Ruby, Granny, Grumpy, Anton, and/or Hopper, but with both the Neverland sequences and the Team Princess / Post-Apocalyptic Forest stuff for present day, I'm not sure how much of Storybrooke we're going to see for the first part of the season.

I'm also assuming we'll see some flashback sequences of Bael's time in Neverland, but considering the rate Dylan Schmid (young Baelfire) has been growing for the past two seasons, we might have to suspend disbelief a bit on the "never grow older" thing!

And finding out Peter Pan's backstory, and why his character is so menacing, will be very interesting. I'm a little uncomfortable about the thought of a teenager being "bad," but I have absolute faith in the producers & writers making this work. They haven't let me down yet.

2. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

I doubt we'll see much Ruby unless Meghan Ory's new show, Intelligence, gets cancelled. Although it does film in Vancouver so she might be able to do both. It's disappointing, I really like Ruby, but considering how little screen time she got last season I can see why she might have wanted to find another job.

3. Artemis@BC

Intelligence isn't scheduled to air until the new year, so she could still do some episodes of Once. I agree on both counts though -- I don't want to lose Ruby from the show, but Meghan Ory is so talented she deserves more for her career. (It will be interesting to see if TBTB "punish" her for finding another show.)

BTW, I was just reading in my fall preview TV guide last night about Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, the spinoff show. When I first heard about it I thought "too soon" -- but now that I know it's going to be a one-off, a single storyline in 10 episodes, I'm not so opposed. Doesn't mean it will be good of course, but I'll give it a shot. If for no other reason to see how they accomplish the Alice-Aladdin mashup. :eek:

4. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

I had no idea Intelligence was mid-season, sorry. I really just knew it existed so thanks, it looks interesting so now I'll know not to look for it yet:).

I felt the same about the spin off. But as a one off I can get behind that. I'll probably check it out now.

5. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I wasn't really feeling the Alice spinoff but then I saw the promo and it actually looks kinda epic. I'll be watching for sure.

6. Artemis@BC

Forgot to say earlier: how much real time do you think passed between when Emma & Snow returned from The Post-Apocalyptic Forest and the end of season 2? It didn't seem like very long ... but it was obviously long enough for Mulan and Aurora to rescue Prince Phillip from his soulless post-Dementor state, since he was there on the beach when Neal appeared. No doubt that's a story we'll see sometime in season 3. (I wonder if the reason we didn't see it in season 2 was that there were too many backstories with the regular characters ... or if it was just a scheduling thing with Julian Morris.)

7. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I am SUPER crazy stoked about OUAT this year! I also watched a few of my fave episodes from my season two DVD set (haven't gotten to the season finale with commentary yet but it's on my radar to do before season three kicks off) and it's so much fun. I follow Adam and the cast via Twitter and he seems pretty confident that we'll see scenes with ALL of the main cast members this year (Charming, Snow, Emma, Rumple, Regina, Hook, Neal, and Belle) so I'm not terribly worried about anyone's screen time right now. I think they learned a lot from season two and are going to make season three that much better from it. SO PUMPED that season three is finally just around the corner!! :cheer2:

8. Artemis@BC

Only 5 more sleeps ... who else is jittery with excitement?

ETA: So glad CTV is showing it at 7:00 again this year -- that way it doesn't conflict with Last Tango in Halifax on PBS and Battle of the Blades.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  9. peach_pear

peach_pear New Member

I'm excited! I'm also loving Ginnifer Goodwin's countdown pictures. I think she does a better job of promoting the show than ABC does.

Anyway, looking forward to the new episode indeed.

10. Artemis@BC

Haven't seen those ... are the on-air or somewhere else?

11. mocha-ice

mocha-ice Active Member

She posts them on her twitter account, you can see them all there. Generally Jennifer Morrison retweets them as well, so you can find them there too. :)

So excited for the premier Sunday! The little promo last week got me super excited!

12. Artemis@BC

^ Thanks. I'm not much of a twitter user, but I'll check that out.

I see that they're doing a recap episode before the new one. I just rewatched most of season 2 on DVD so probably won't bother with that, but it will probably be helpful for a lot of viewers.

13. HeatherC

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited about this Sunday! I feel like this show has been gone forever even though it's only been a few months, LOL :biggrinbo

I think this year is going to be pretty awesome. Those guys know what worked and what didn't last year and it sounds like they're on the right track with getting some of that season one magic back. There are a few random entertainment folks who got to see the first two episodes all ready and every single one of them was gushing about both of them. I won't post the links in case people don't want the spoilers but TV Line, Huffington Post, E!Online, and Hyperble are some of the sites that posted a few teaser/spoiler things today. That so many different people enjoyed the episodes gives me a lot of hope! :cheer:

14. Artemis@BC

Random OuaT thought for the day: I really, really hope they find away to recycle Mary-Margaret's line from season 2, "Back away from my daughter" ... only this time she'll be saying it to Hook. :D

15. peach_pear

peach_pear New Member

I agree! That would be great to see.

I also hope for more character and family moments instead of just relentless action sequences and introducing new characters every week. I really hope they are able to recapture the magic that was season one of the show.

16. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

I'm excited about it! I'll be DVRing it since hubby and I haven't finished watching season 2 on Netflix yet. We only have time to watch on weekend nights so it's taking for-e-ver.

17. HeatherC

From everything that I've read this week (and I've read way too much for my own good, LOL) I think that's exactly what's going to happen and that makes me very happy. I also think the only new characters they're introducing that haven't all ready been intro'd are Peter Pan,
    Tinkerbell, and Ariel.
    Everyone else that I've heard will be seen this year were all ready introduced in the previous two seasons. I'm very anxious to see how the JR6 get along on the boat, what happens with Neal in the EF, and especially for some Charming family bonding! :biggrinbo

18. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Cannot wait for Sunday!

19. Artemis@BC

3 more hours! :watch:

20. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I just have to chime in and say I love having time shift. Got to watch this show from 6-7, then Battle of the Blades from 7-9, currently watching The Amazing Race and then it will be The Good Wife at 10. Yep, love that I can watch all four shows without having to put it on PVR since that machine is in a room in which I can't stand (OK, sit) to watch TV.

21. HeatherC

Random thoughts tonight:

*Peter Pan is CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPY!! Wow. :eek:

*That all out brawl on the ship was AWESOME. You had to know it was coming! :lol: It shouldn't take Emma throwing herself into the water to get them all to stop fighting but dang, I'm SO glad her badassery is still out in full force! :respec:

*NEAL! :cheer: I'm not ashamed to say that I love that character and I'm thrilled he's a full cast member this year! I'm glad we're starting to see how much he regrets about his real world past (leaving Emma, not fighting for her and searching for her, etc). I loved the lines about the walking stick and how Rumple kept track of Bae growing up with that stick. I also love that he knows how to work magic and now he has to use the one thing he's always hated to find and help save his family. I really hope we keep getting more insight into him as he fights to get back to Emma & Henry. I LOVED his line to Mulan about them making a movie about her..."They made a movie about you. It's actually really good!" LOL :rofl:

*Mermaids are CREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPY!!! :eek:

*Emma & Hook toasting to Nealfire and him giving that sword to Emma were really sweet scenes. I love the fact that part of Neal is with Emma in Neverland and is going to help get their son back. Hook is a lot more likeable when he's not thirsting for revenge and being a horndog twit.

*Regina had some of the best one liners tonight, LOL :lol:

*Why does Peter Pan want Henry's heart?!

*Anyone else practically stand up and cheer when Greg got his shadow ripped out of him (THAT was creepy too but he deserved it, LOL) and when Tamara got shot by an arrow, healed by Rumple, and then got her heart crushed by him? I don't normally cheer when people die but they were just a nuisance and had to go. ;)

*Did I mention that Peter Pan is CREEEEEEEEEEEEPY??! :yikes:

*Forgot one....Emma giving birth to Henry and dang was that heartbreaking. The fact that she couldn't even bring herself to look at the baby and said that she couldn't be a mother all while trying not to bawl her eyes out was SO sad. :fragile: Those scenes were so well done and I loved the contrast between those first scenes and Emma's last scene telling the others that they have to work together to save Henry. She went from "I can't be a mother" to "I am a mother" and seeing her strength and determination right then was AWESOME. :respec: :D

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  22. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Heck yes, I was THRILLED to see Greg and Tamara die so quickly. The powers that be must have listened to our griping last season because they didn't take long to kill them off, haha! They were annoying as all get out so I'm very happy that particular storyline is done and gone.

This episode was full of win! Snow/Regina cat fight, Neil alive and well, Peter Pan (although he is WAY creepy!) and of course Mulan and Aurora. No Storybrooke though; I need me some Belle!

So happy that OUaT is back. :D

23. Artemis@BC

Yes!! I was worried there for a minute that Tamara was going to stay alive, but that was a Rumple-kill I could cheer.

Best line: David, "I will not be capsized by fish!" :lol:

I already like the Mulan-Neal dynamic. There's so obviously no sexual tension there so it's nice to have just a straight-ahead friendship.

And yes, Pan is super creepy. "Let's play." *Shudder*

24. flutzilla1

flutzilla1 Well-Known Member

GREAT Episode, although I still really, really, REALLY don't like Neal. It is hard because I LOVE Michael Raymond-James, who plays him. I have the same issue when I watch The Americans with Keri Russell. :)

The last scene with Rumple was intriguing -- even though I had already seen it in the sneak peek. Was that doll Bae's? Or maybe it was....Rumple's?

Loved Hook's line to Emma on the beach about fancying her -- duh! We've known that like, forever.

Hoping and praying that we eventually see a Captain Swan happy ending......

25. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Neal was at his most likeable around Mulan. Just have him hang him out with her and Aurora and the Prince.

Is this the first time a human has been killed by any of the main characters? Greg was not their fault and I know Tamara was not popular (although I think she had a lot more potential) but is Neal really going to be fine that his dad killed her? I've been burned by some guys in the past--I have never considered having my dad physically hurt them.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Nan

Nan Just me

I kind of like the horndog side of him. ;)

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Artemis@BC

Well ... you could argue that if Rumple hadn't happened along, she would have died anyway because of the arrow in her back from the Lost Boys. Rumple only healed her briefly to serve his own purpose. Not that that would make a difference with Neal, but now that he's so completely back in love with Emma I don't think it will matter, even if it did come up. Plus killing your enemies seems to be more accepted in the enchanted worlds -- and Greg and Tamara were definitely enemies.

It does bring up another question about magical healing, though. "All magic has consequences" they keep telling us -- but does that include healing? Rumple has used his healing powers on himself, but also on others IIRC. (Henry? David? I can't actually recall the details.) Does that mean there are consequences for them?

Another random thought: the toughest part about working with child actors is when they insist on growing. Henry/Jared Gilmore was noticeably bigger and older in this episode than he was at the end of last season. And given that he's now in Neverland and isn't supposed to age at all while he's there ... well, depending on how long the Neverland stint is, we might have to suspend disbelief on that score!

28. HeatherC

They're breaking up this season into two 'mini seasons' (11 eps now and 11 in the spring with limited/no breaks between for each of them) and Hitsis/Horowitz said this summer that they were planning them that way and I'm pretty sure I read that the main Neverland part is only going to encompass the first 11 eps. Jared is definitely growing up really fast! :eek:

29. Artemis@BC

Another good episode tonight. Rumple cutting off his own shadow and then send him off with the dagger -- that's the kind of mind-blowing creativity I've come to expect from these guys. The scenes between Emma and Mary-Margaret were utterly heartbreaking, and the look on Emma's face at the end when Pan dropped his bombshell ... wow.

Still dying to find out what Pan's deal and is and where his evil comes from ... I'm guessing tho we won't find out until much later in this 11-episode arc.

The flashback storyline wasn't the best ever but it was still good. The "believe in yourself" stuff was great bookend to Emma's story in Neverland, and I was actually kind of relieved it wasn't the real Excalibur (even tho we've already had one crossover into that particular story universe). And I loved the dwarves' protectiveness of Snow.

30. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

I am afraid I will never ever be able to like Peter Pan again. Anytime soon. Brrrrrrrr