Once Upon a Time S2: The Magic Returns

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by CDANN1013, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Nan

Nan Just me

Belle has never had ice tea, pancakes or a hamburger. Does anyone else wonder what they fed her for 28 years? :confused:

I was a little worried where the writers would go this year. So far, I'm very happy and a little surprised (in a good way!). I really love what they are doing with Rumple.

2. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Considering she was locked in the basement of the hospital, I doubt Regina gave any thought about what to feed her. Possibly bread and water.

3. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

This episode was superb. This season has been excellent--the writers seem to have a handle on all the characters and the evolution of all the storylines.

4. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I was thinking gruel.

5. Nan

Nan Just me

That's what came to my mind, too. ;)

6. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I'll have to go back and watch! (like it's a real chore to watch these episodes over and over again ;)). I think the only reason they zoomed in on his hand was to show the dust from the mines so we'd recognize it on Belle's father's hand later.

7. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Well, they also said that the reason why they're digging in the mines is to find fairy dust, right?

8. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

When Rumpel said "of course" he had eaten hamburgers, I got a giggle out of that mental image. :) He doesn't strike me as the hamburger type. The only-the-finest-and-most-expensive-steak type, more like.

9. TanithandBenFan

I wonder if they have any fine dining establishments in Storybrooke. Seems like Granny has a monopoly on the restaurant business! :lol:

10. Wyliefan

She does, doesn't she? :lol: I don't think we've ever seen anyone eat anywhere else.

11. TanithandBenFan

The gang went to a bar on Valentine's Day that I don't think was Granny's (although she does serve liquor!). Other than that, I don't remember any other eating/drinking establishments.

12. Artemis@BC

Well there was that one Valentine's scene with Ruby, Mary-Margaret, and Cinderella's alter-ego in the bar -- there might have been food there too. And the fact that they're on the ocean says to me that there has to be a seafood restaurant somewhere.

Storybrook is obviously bigger than we've seen so far. Regina lives far enough away from the centre of town to have to drive, and the kids take a schoolbus (sometimes).

13. ChelleC

So do I. Honestly, I thought his answer was going to be, no I've not. :lol:

14. walei

walei Well-Known Member

I love how this show cleverly intertwine each fairy tales to connect with one another. I find it neat that Rumpel is the beast and now the crocodile that haunts Captain Hook :lol:

15. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!?!?!?!? Rumpel is a beast? Which beast? and a crocodile hauting Hook! How on earth have I missed these two things. {{hanging my head in shame}}

16. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Wow, get thee to a DVD player or computer ASAP and watch episode 1x12 "Skin Deep" from last season and then watch or rewatch this past week's episode so you can get caught up on things! ;)

17. Artemis@BC

Yes, so clever, one of the many reasons I love this show so much! They don't show the episode titles on screen but somehow I'd seen beforehand that this ep was called "Crocodile." Yet even with that, even with the captain calling Rumple "crocodile," and even with being about 95% sure that the captain would end up being Hook ... I still didn't make the connection until the scene where Rumple cuts off his hand. Yeesh, how dense am I?

18. Wyliefan

MYSTERY SOLVED! I just figured out the Dr. Whale name! (To be fair, a bunch of other fans on the OuaT Facebook page figured it out at the same time, after watching the latest promo clip, but I did it without reading what they wrote, so I'm happy. :lol: )

If you watched any of the promos, it looks like Dr. Whale = Dr. Frankenstein. And who directed the most famous Frankenstein film . . . ?

19. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

!!! Holy crap. Did NOT see that one coming. Whoa.

20. ChelleC

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
    Nan and (deleted member) like this.
  21. HeatherC

Which OUAT facebook group are you in? I follow or are part of three of them (Once Upon a Time-Fan Community, Once Upon a Time Fans, and the ABC feed for the show) and I'm just curious if I would have seen you in any of them. They are pretty fun discussion places full of really smart people. Some of those folks really did figure things out pretty fast but it should still be a fantastic episode (if they're right!). :biggrinbo

22. Wyliefan

I'm on the ABC page. I don't post there that often, though, so I don't know if you'd have seen me!

23. HeatherC

I don't post there much either so we have more than likely missed each other! ;) I do like to post in the other two communities I mentioned earlier though which are both really fun. Let me know if you want to check them out! There are usually tons of pics, articles, and sometimes spoilers posted there and both boards are full of other big OUAT fans. :)

This week's episode looks perfect for Halloween!! :D

24. HeatherC

I haven't gotten to watch the whole episode yet (this was not a good episode to only see the last 15 minutes of because I was totally lost!) but what did you guys think about the show tonight? I plan to watch the entire episode later tonight but figured I would bump up the thread anyway. :p

25. Wyliefan

I liked it. There were a few flaws (the "magic as addiction" idea has been done to death, for instance), but I thought it was a clever idea and well executed.

I've heard some fans complaining that "the Doctor" of the title wasn't a fairy tale character, but seems to me the writers have already shown a willingness to go outside the boundaries in that department, anyway. Mulan isn't exactly from a fairy tale, either, is she? Or Lancelot. Or Midas.

26. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

I wasn't that crazy about it. The scenery chewing with Regina
    and zombie Daniel
    in the stable was OTT even for a show about a town full of fairytale characters. :lol:

I wonder what Dr. Whale's world is called? Hollyvania? Transylwood? Until proven otherwise, I'm assuming his land is where all the old horror films come from. Yes, I know Frankenstein is from a book, but the styling and costuming is more Hollywood horror.

Lots of Jackson in the flashbacks. We've seen him as a father living in squalor to save himself from himself and now we've seen him as an arrogant jackass who's good at his job and damn well knows it. Can't wait to see how they fill that gap! With the way things usually go, the change in personality comes when Grace's mother dies (or gets trapped somewhere).

Next week is Emma's backstory. There's a spoilery promo from CTV here.
    Henry's dad is totally Bae. He's gotta be!

27. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

I liked it. I was stumped until the end to find out who Dr. Whale is. And by the way, what a clever way to name him. I had to have someone help me out as to why his name is Whale, but the reason is certainly creative. :) If you're like me and didn't know, look here.

28. HeatherC

His name is Jefferson, not Jackson, and I didn't mind seeing him a whole lot in this episode at all! :biggrinbo :swoon:

Really enjoyed the episode tonight although I think the next big mystery question for the show is going to be, "Who is Dr. Whale's brother??!" because that is literally the one question I was left with at the end! :lol: Hopefully this Daniel thing with Regina will help her move on from her pain and keep her on the path to redemption. I love Regina being bad but she can still be ornery and do some not great things without being completely evil. She started off good and I think she can find that part of herself again someday. It was fascinating to watch how Jefferson, Whale, and Rumple all manipulated her to find her evil side (evil isn't born...it's made :() and I felt bad for her when she finally had to say goodbye to Daniel again. I'm glad she's talking to someone like Archie to help her because it tells me how much she really does love Henry and want to do the right thing for him. I freaking LOVED Emma & Hook's interaction and that the women didn't take any of his stories for truth right from the get go. I also loved Emma & Snow's little eye contact thing that allowed Snow to distract Hook just in time for Emma to pull her knife on him. Don't mess with the Charming family! :cheer: Speaking of them I also enjoyed Henry & Charming's little interaction again although I'm getting very anxious for this family to be together again at some point. I can see how they're setting up the stories and the villains for later in the season but daggone it, I want my Charmings together again soon! :(

I WANT NEXT WEEK'S EPISODE NOW. That's the one I've been waiting for since I first heard about it weeks ago. Emma back story!!!!! :biggrinbo

29. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

I hope next week's episode will answer all I want, need to know about Emma for sure !!!

30. CDANN1013

CDANN1013 Active Member

The episode may answer a few questions but will probably ask more questions.

Carol