Once Upon a Time S2: The Magic Returns

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by CDANN1013, Aug 9, 2012.

1. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Me either!

Charming's speech to the townspeople. :swoon: And I love seeing "David" as a badass.

I wonder what the deal is with Jefferson's daughter. She must remember who her real father is now. Why hasn't he reconnected with her yet?

2. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

There was way too little of Emma & Snow for me tonight (made up a lot by the badass-ness of Charming though :swoon: ) but overall this episode was really great. Regina has done some horrible things but there was once a good person inside her and I think there could be again if the writers can figure out a way to write it well. We'll have to see how that goes though. ;) Her scenes with Henry at the end were nice but we all know that she's got a power hungry streak in her so we'll see if she can actually not use magic now. LOVED :kickass: Charming tonight and his scenes at the end were just awesome! Next week's episode looks like it's going to be really great too, loved the reveal at the end, so I'm excited to see what's next for everyone, especially for Emma & Snow and their predicament in the new charbroiled Fairytale Land. :biggrinbo

3. HeatherC

Well, everything has been a little crazy for the townspeople after the curse broke (and it hasn't been very long either) so maybe that reunion is still to come for them. I'm hoping to see them reconnect again too! I wonder how long he was away from her when he got trapped in Wonderland. :(

4. Nan

Nan Just me

If Regina does a turn-around, Henry may be the key. True love conquers all, you know. ;)

The writers may not have it in mind at all, but I think it would be a good story line to compare Regina and Rumple and their love for their children impact their actions. It's a soft spot for both of them.

5. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Not just them. I count at least seven people who are driven (and I do mean DRIVEN) by parental love: those two, Snow & Charming, Emma, Jefferson, Geppetto . . . have I forgotten anyone? It's an extraordinarily strong theme here.

6. HeatherC

That sounds about right and IMO, that theme being so prevalent throughout the show is one of the things that makes it so good. That kind of love is so powerful and it can make people do extraordinary things.

I'm very curious how long Cora has been trapped in this 'survivor safe haven' and especially if she's been there this whole time or if she really was sent to Wonderland and became the Queen of Hearts there (which is a big speculation that's been going around since last season). Hopefully we find out more when they go back to Emma & Snow's story in the next episode. :cheer:

7. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

And it begins with a viewer discretion warning - violence.

Spoilers begin:

We meet Lancelot in the very first scene, but he didn't seem very menacing to me.

Ick, Cora is pretending to be good and I think that Emma is buying it. Now Barbara Hershey's portrayal of Cora is menacing!

And Lancelot is a good guy!

Awww, Jefferson is afraid to go see his daughter. That is a believable reaction. He looks terrified.

I must be the only one who feels sorry for Regina right now. I hope her good side keeps emerging. And I hope Henry doesn't completely stand her up for lunch.

Holy smokes- violence indeed. Charming is certainly a badass now.

Yeah, definitely not a kids show. The CGI ogre makes the dragon look like a kitty.

I want to go to a OUAT con and wear Snow's white dress/pants outfit.

And it's over for another week. So much stuff happened. The only thing that made me tear up was when Snow looked back at the nursery and for a moment saw it as it was in happier times.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  8. HeatherC

"I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma :wuzrobbed

Cue me sobbing after that scene, especially during the hug, and mad kudos to both actresses for making that such an emotional moment. :( And then Jefferson finally reunites with Grace and it was so sweet that I was sobbing again! I must be a pile of mush in my heart or something, LOL :lol:

I freaking love this show. So much stuff happened tonight but it was all awesome. The snakes about gave me a heart attack but yay Charming to the rescue. Loved Lancelot's part in Snow and Charming's story and I'm very happy that it wasn't anything that could come between them. Anyone else think Lancelot is somewhere in Storybrooke and that Cora was lying to Snow when she said he was dead? Just a hunch on my part. Mulan seemed much more rational this week and I really liked her by the end of the episode. LOVED badass Snow protecting Emma from the Ogre! Emma was so in awe of what her mother did and I loved watching their relationship change and grow throughout the hour. I could keep rambling for a while but I'll stop here because I'm trying to focus on Revenge now and it's not working to do both things. ;)

9. TanithandBenFan

I was a sobbing pile of mush, too. :wuzrobbed This season is getting more and more awesome by the episode. And the reveal at the end?! :eek: Where's he been all this time?

10. Wyliefan

Jefferson and Grace! Aww! Some nice moments throughout, but I think that was my favorite. Well, that and Emma's line about being put first.

11. BelleBway

BelleBway a monkey stole my title

Joining the group sob! :wuzrobbed So much awesome.

12. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Oh wow I was crying, too! Emma was perfect. Love this episode, sad for Lancelot. :(
    This show just keeps getting better!

13. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I ADMIT IT! I was mad at Henry for standing Regina up. Far be it from me to defend Regina, and I still think she has a LOT of stuff to work through, but she did the RIGHT thing by letting Henry go in the last episode and he just played her like a fiddle. :( That must hurt. I hope she doesn't take that rejection and go all evil and mean again. I have a feeling, though, with Cora coming back into the picture, we might see Regina side with Snow and Charming to fight to protect Henry. Remember, parental love is one of the biggest themes of the show...Regina would do anything to keep Henry safe. ESPECIALLY from Cora.

Interested to see how Rumple is going to fit into all this. And I'm pretty sure Lancelot isn't dead-dead. Besides, isn't Lacelot's greatest claim to fame the fact that he and Guinevere hooked up and that betrayal of Arthur was what brought about the destruction of Camelot? lol. The second I saw him show up and saw Snow so happy to see him, I was like, oh crap, Snow is Guenevere and Charming is Arthur! Might not be, but WHO KNOWS. It would be a very OoaT thing to do. :p

14. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

I thought he was the DA last year. I could be wrong though.

Yeah, I didn't feel sorry for Regina at all today. I might find it in myself to feel sorry for her if/when Cora ends up in Storybrook. Might. :slinkaway

15. HeatherC

Yes, King George was the DA who questioned Mary Margaret for Kathryn's murder back in season one so he's definitely been in town this whole time. Wonder what he's up to now though! :eek:

I just watched the Emma/Snow scenes again and still cried over them. Ginny & Jennifer are so good together and I totally believe that they're mother and daughter. Both of the characters are really starting to understand how much each has lost and their relationship is going to be so much stronger when they finally figure out a way home. I hope I don't end up crying every week though, LOL :lol:

16. TanithandBenFan

Oops, totally didn't remember that! :slinkaway

17. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

That was a GREAT episode. Emma's line was great, but I also loved the moment when Snow saw the room in all its colourful glory. So sad. And I love the four women teaming up.

And I cannot wait for the Regina/Cora showdown!!!

ETA: Holy cow, look who was working out this summer! Emma has Joannie/Amelie arms!

18. HeatherC

IIRC, Jennifer Morrison does yoga, boxing, and I think Pilates so she can stay in good shape for the stunts and stuff that they do on the show. I bet Ginny Goodwin is also in good enough shape to take on anyone too! ;)

Seriously cannot wait to meet Hook next week! :biggrinbo

19. ChelleC

20. HeatherC

This is awesome! EW was somewhat stingy about their Once Upon a Time coverage in the first season but they've been much better this season. I can't wait to get the magazine later this week! :biggrinbo

21. rjblue

22. rjblue

I don't care how hot Captain Hook is- anyone who'd mock and challenge someone oviously weaker, slightly impaired, and untrained is just a creep. Rumple made me cry- what a horrible woman he married.

Another great episode. I love the Rumple/Belle scenes. How could her father think that giving her back a persona of having been in an isolation room in a mental institution would be a good fate?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  23. Wyliefan

They've always had great online recaps of it, though!

ETA:
    Lord, that opening sequence! I was just thinking, "I'm going to have nightmares about this!" and then it WAS a nightmare! :)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  24. ChelleC

Okay, I'm taking this to mean that Rumple, Charming, and Ruby find her. I was just thinking I wish you'd been more detailed tonight, lol.

25. rjblue

Yes, they find her just in time. Her father is her kidnapper, and he tries to send her across the town line so that she won't remember loving Rumple.

The scene with Rumplestiltskin on the boat, prior to his becoming The Dark One, made me cry.

26. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Loved, loved, loved this episode. Missing Mary Margaret and Emma but loved the story of Captain Hook and how he made his way to a place called Neverland.
    I too, felt bad about Rumple and how he "lost" his wife. I can certainly understand his need for revenge, especially after Hook lied about Rumple's wife. I also felt bad for him when he was hoping for some help to find Belle and in the end, it is his magic that brings his love back to him ... sorta. And him arranging to give Belle the key to the Library -- priceless, at least for me.
    Have I mentioned that I love this show? :rofl:

27. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Eeep. Can't wait for Cora and Hook to show up. Like I said before, if there's anyone that Regina hates more than Snow, it's Cora, and Rumple obviously isn't going to be getting all buddy-buddy with Hook. Should be a nice showdown; hopefully the four of them fighting won't destroy the rest of Storybrooke in the process. This might be how the show gets Regina and Rumple on the side of Snow and Charming. Can't wait to see Regina go all momma bear in an effort to protect Henry from Cora. At last, something she, Snow and Emma can all agree on!

Still waiting for Jack to show up. Did we ever find out who's playing him? I know the dude from LOST is coming on the show soon but I don't remember who he's playing.

Speaking of, there's still SO MANY characters that I can't wait to see show up. We've got Hook, so there's room to bring in Peter Pan, Wendy and Tinker Bell. We've got Lancelot, so we can have Arthur and Merlin (but I think that Snow is Guinevere...just a hunch!). And of course, Ariel has gotta show up at some point. Isn't she the last really big vintage Disney princess they haven't done yet? I don't count Rapunzel and possibly Merida because they're too new and Disney won't want to reinvent their characters any time soon.

28. HeatherC

Jorge Garcia appears in
    episode 6 as the Giant. Jack hasn't been cast yet unless he's someone all ready on the show.

I don't think Snow is Guinevere because Lancelot was all ready shunned from King Arthur's court when he met Snow & Charming and he said then that it was because of a woman. I don't think there's any way Snow is that woman since she hadn't even met him at the time of his disgrace.

Loved the episode tonight although I missed Emma & Snow too. I liked seeing Rumpel and Belle struggle with things together because it was realistic for them to not click like glue right off the bat. I also like that they're going to take things slow and rebuild things with them (and that Rumpel came clean to her about Bae). I think Hook is a just great villain and Colin O'Donaghue is fantastic in that role. I think I understand now why they all ready bumped him up to a lead role for the second part of the season! :) He and Cora are definitely up to something bad and hopefully Regina does end up working with the Charming family against the true evil ones when they're all together again in Storybrooke (which needs to happen soon or else I'm going to be highly irritated...I understand why they're doing it but I want everyone together again before Christmas!). I hated how annoying Rumpel's wife was and he's better off without her although I understand why he was so mad at her for so long. She was a massive tool and deserved his anger. The whole episode was just really good and the preview for next week looks pretty awesome too. I love this show! :swoon:

Fave line: "Sparkly dirt...wonderful." -Hook :rofl:

29. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I agree -- not just for those reasons, but because it would go against the core of Snow's character, and the very foundation of Snow's and Charming's relationship. Their "true love" would be a farce if she'd previously been involved with Arthur and Lancelot.

I watched the past 3 episodes in a row yesterday, so I'm a little hazy on what happened when, but my favourite line was when Snow's curse had been cured by the magic lake water, and Charming used his mother's gypsy medalion on her. Snow: "We're going to have a baby!" Charming: "What? Um, is there something I don't know?" LOL

BTW, speaking of Hook's "sparkly dirt" line (also LOL), did anyone else notice that when Charming was working in the mine, and then left to go be sherrif ... he brushed some dust off his hands that looked suspiciously sparkly to me.

After last night's episode, I guess you could add Belle's father to the list. Though his motives and actions were almost more twisted than Regina's or Rumple's!

30. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Best bit in that article: The reasoning: “He’s 300 years old. He’s met so many people over the years that he’s been impressed and unimpressed by, he’s taken on their voices, he’s taken on their accents and their mannerisms. He’s layered so much he’s lost himself.” Once Upon showrunners Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis point out that every time we meet Rumple in fairy tale land he’s in a slightly different time period and so therefore Carlyle actually uses a slightly different voice every single time to show this gradual layering effect."

That's so cool! I'd noticed a bit of accent wandering, wasn't sure if it was deliberate or not. I should have known, Carlyle is such a pro it could not have been anything but a very consious acting choice. Brilliant.