Once Upon a Time S2: The Magic Returns

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by CDANN1013, Aug 9, 2012.

1. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I might have to start watching. Loved Sarah Bolger in the Tudors, and Jorge is just all kinds of awesome. Now, I need to figure out where to get the dvds rented from... :lol:

2. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I kinda wondered if they were just going through their Disney list? "Which Disney princess could we add this time?" We've seen Snow White, Cinderella, Belle, and now Sleeping Beauty and Mulan. Only ones left are Ariel, Pocahontas, Tiana and Jasmine...maybe Rapunzel and Merida too. That is if they're following the Disney format of princesses and given that the show is on ABC which is owned by Disney, I wouldn't be surprised...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  3. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

Speaking of Cinderella, we saw her in the first episode in fairytale land. Did we ever see here in Storybrooke?

4. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Do you mean this season? Last season, she was in a couple of episodes in Storybrooke. She was pregnant, and she and her estranged boyfriend reunited after the baby was born. He proposed on Valentine's Day.

Norlite and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. I forgot. :shuffle:

6. TanithandBenFan

It wasn't a huge storyline. :)

7. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

There was something in one of the commentaries about that. Probably the season ender one with Adam Horowitz & Edward Kitsis. I can't remember the details but it was about issues such as using the "North Americanized" (aka Disney) versions of the stories instead of the original European versions as a starting point, but Disney being extremely open to to whatever adaptations they creators wanted to make.

And speaking of Cinderella and the Valentine's day proposal, the Robert Carlyle commentary on that episode made me laugh. There's the girls' night bar scene, and Carlyle makes a comment like "Sounds like the beginning of a joke: Cinderella, Snow White, and Red Riding Hood walk into a bar ..." :rofl:

BTW, in the season 2 wasteland version of fairytaleland, they've had to move further away from the Vancouver area for their scenery. I didn't recognize the exact location of Sleeping Beauty's castle, but it looked like it might have been somewhere in the Okanagan. It was really just one arial shot with the horses galloping, so not like they had to move the whole cast out there ... but I wonder how much of that landscape they'll be using for future episodes.

8. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I admit it, I CRIED when Snow and the Prince were reunited with Emma for the first time since she was a baby! Even though Emma was majorly weirded out, to see the joy that these two parents had at seeing their daughter again was SO sweet.

I can't decide which person I dislike more; Rumple or Regina. Both had pretty bad things happen to them and did have a heart at one point, but didn't do the right thing afterwards. I think Regina's hatred is far more unprovoked. Rumple became the Dark One to save his son and it infected him, but Regina went on her mission of destroying lives out of pure revenge, and at a little girl who made an honest mistake. They both have done awful things but I think she's got far less justification for her actions then Rumple does. Although he seems to be taking a more proactive role in the bad stuff nowadays, there's at least a bit of hope that he could be saved. Regina, not so much.

9. Artemis@BC

ITA. And pretty much the only significant plot point that's bothered me about this show since we saw her origin story. I keep hoping they'll write something that will make it make more sense -- like some kind of personality transplant when Regina's mother dies. We haven't seen that happen, after all, nor do we learn how Regina gains magical power. I'm guessing some kind of inheritance from her mother, so did the evilness come with that?

10. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Regina saw the love of her life's heart ripped out and crushed in front of her. She fixated on revenge, with Snow as the fall guy. I don't think she's been rational since that happened. She's crazy, and only in very rare moments does the sane Regina surface.

I like how they aren't making the villains evil sociopaths, and the heroes altruistic saints.

eta- not to mention that she then had to marry and have sex with a man old enough to be her grandfather. Her mother tortured her.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  11. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

That's awesome. :rofl:

12. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I couldn't get into this show last year. I tried quite a few times. I watched last night's episode. And I still can't get into it. Regina and Henry drive me batty with their bad acting.

I can't help it. I'm done trying. :(

13. walei

walei Well-Known Member

I loved the premier, one of the better ones that sets up a season in any shows I've watched.

I can't wait to see Emma in Fairy Tale land clothing. I mean, she has to change into fresh new clothes eventually right!?

Also the preview for next week...
    HOLY CRAP CAPTAIN HOOK IS HAWT!!!!!

14. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

If you don't want to know don't click the spoiler tag, but I do know who the next couple of episodes are centric for and I'm pumped for the upcoming stories. No huge spoilers here but I did put a little blurb where I knew one for each episode because I've been nosy this summer and couldn't wait to find out the centric subjects before the season, LOL :lol: :cheer:

Episode 2: Regina centric (we should learn more about her origins and her mother's history with Rumpelstiltskin)
    Episode 3: Snow centric
    Episode 4: Rumpelstiltskin centric and the first episode Hook appears.
    Episode 5: Whale centric (should finally learn who the heck that twerp is :lol: )
    Episode 6: Emma centric (should learn more about Emma's back story)
    Episode 7: Red centric but this has not been confirmed yet

Nan and (deleted member) like this.
  15. kwanatic

From the outside it looks like Regina's sworn revenge on a little girl for making a mistake, but when you look at it from her view (ie. blinded by grief and rage) then rationale doesn't really factor into her actions. Despite Snow's good intentions her actions resulted in David's death (his name was David, right?). Regina has yet to get past that and, from all indications, she has no intention of moving past it. I don't even think she wants to.

Regina probably inherited the magic from her mother and I'm guessing that kind of magic had a corrupting effect on her and that's why she's all vindictive and evil.

I love that there are stories behind the villains. I end up sympathizing and hating them simultaneously. It adds layers to the characters and the story...

16. Artemis@BC

I agree with your 2nd paragraph, but not the 1st. I think the only believable explanation here is that inheriting the magic somehow corrupted her soul (further).

Her grief and anger after losing Daniel would have been a believable explanation if she'd lashed out at Snow at the time. Or, even more believable, lashing out at her mother. And Regina had lived under her mother's tyranny long enough to know who was really to blame for Daniel's death. But as rationale for a long-term, all-encompassing, obsessive vendetta to destroy not only the person who was an innocent child at the time of the betrayal but the entire realm ... nope, I just don't buy it.

What happened with her mother has to be the missing piece of this puzzle -- and I have sufficient faith in the writers to deliver it to us at the right time. I'm thinking it will be somehow parallel with but different from Rumple's gaining-magic-results-in-losing-soul story.

17. kwanatic

Rationally, it makes no sense for her to be that upset with Snow. However, given the fact her mother was obviously an opportunistic and sadistic witch, one would assume the rotten apple doesn't fall that far from the tree. Motives aren't always so cut and dried when it comes to psychopathic evil people. I think Daniel's death unhinged Regina quite a bit...thus she's crazy, in pain, enraged, and evil with magic powers to boot.

ITA about her mom. That part of the story hasn't been explored yet. My thought is Regina probably got revenge on her mother for Daniel's death, which leaves Snow to "pay" for her part in what happened...

Rationally, Regina should get over it and move on...but, like I said, rationale doesn't come into play when you're talking about evil queens! :)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  18. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

Did I see Lancelot in the preview of this season? That's a bit :huh: !

19. CDANN1013

CDANN1013 Active Member

Casting News
    According to EW, the actor playing Captain Hook has already been upgraded to series regular. I wonder if he might be Emma new boyfriend.

Carol

20. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

21. HeatherC

Regina's stable boy love was named Daniel, not David. I'm getting confused reading your posts about this because I keep thinking about David/Charming and that is obviously not him you're talking about, LOL :lol:

Is it Sunday yet?! :p

22. kwanatic

LOL! I knew it was something like that. I went back and fixed it. :)

23. TanithandBenFan

Nan and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Nan

Nan Just me

25. HeatherC

I'm not sure which is better...Charming and
    Jefferson
    or the one I saw with Charming and Henry. :biggrinbo

Is it Sunday yet??! :rollin:

26. HeatherC

Bumping this up for episode two tonight!!! :cheer:

27. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Lots and lots of reveal tonight!
    My heart still breaks for young Regina, and I'm so pleased that she let Henry go.

I also liked that they didn't go to the Enchanted Forest today until the very end, with Cora coming out of the shadows. I wonder what will happen when Snow wakes up and recognised her.

Biggest questions-
    Where is poor Pinnochio? Did Belle cross the line? Is that why Gold was standing on the border looking devastated?

28. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Seriously writers, stop trying to make Regina sympathetic.

29. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

We saw Pinocchio's eyes open, so he may have scarpered off somewhere, still wooden. I don't think Belle crossed the line, I think he's just devastated that he can't leave. He had maps of New York, which is where Baelfire probably is (the guy in the apartment at the beginning of the first episode this season, I bet that was him and Rumples knows that's where he is)

30. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I don't believe for a second that she really wants to redeem herself. She's got something up her sleeve, I'm sure!

That was a nice reveal at the end.