Once Upon a Time S2: The Magic Returns

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by CDANN1013, Aug 9, 2012.

1. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Yeah, I knew some of the things that were coming but tonight's episode was still SOOOOOO satisfying for me. I was going to go to bed but I need to type up some thoughts so I can get them out of my poor over fried head tonight (Revenge killed me too, LOL). :biggrinbo

Emma & Neal are pure gold in so many ways (pun not intended but it does work, LOL). I love their chemistry and I REALLY love that Emma laid into Neal for what he did to her. That meeting on the street was insanely awesome/heartbreaking and I loved the little stomp/pouty thing that she did when he wanted to go to the bar (hello there 17 year old Emma, LOL :lol: ). Their whole interaction in the bar was amazing too (loved her yanking the swan necklace off when he asked her about it even though that was sad :() and I don't think Neal totally understands how devastated she was over him and how much what he did completely broke her and killed that last little bit of hope she had left. Neal doesn't know that August didn't watch over Emma yet either so I think that will make things a bit different for Neal once he realizes how Emma's life went after she got out of prison. I also loved that he came back to his apartment to protect her from his father. :swoon: It's so obvious to me that they still care about each other (Emma's reaction to the dreamcatcher in Neal's apartment, his reaction to her swan necklace, him coming back to protect her from his father, them agreeing even through their pain that they don't want to hurt Henry, etc.) but I think it's going to be a long road for them to figure that out again. There's just too many emotions going on right now on both sides for things to work out, but in the end, I really believe that these two will be each other's happy ending. Michael Raymond James and Jennifer Morrison are just awesome together. I LOVE THEM. :swoon:

Speaking of Jennifer's awesomeness, her scenes with Henry tonight broke my heart (well, that whole sequence in Neal's apartment broke my heart in general) and you can tell Emma's head is just too overwhelmed to comprehend everything right now. Her phone call to Snow to ask for advice was priceless but her realization that she lied to Henry to protect herself instead of protecting him was really sad. :( We know she never wanted to hurt Henry over the dad information and I think Henry will forgive Emma once the dust settles, but seeing their relationship broken was the thing that really mad me sad tonight. You could tell how much it hurt Emma to hear Henry say she was just like Regina (OY VEY, that did me in....we know she's about as different from Regina as you can get but in his anger, all he sees is that she lied to him too and that broke me down hard. :fragile: ) and after the whole Neal thing, I think Emma's wall won't be coming down again for a good while. My heart broke so many times for her tonight and I honestly have no idea where she's going to go emotionally from here. (((((Emma))))) :(

Rumple's back story with the seer was pretty fascinating and I was surprised that he injured himself to get out of the war due to that seer's prediction (which obviously wasn't about the war but about him losing Bae the way it actually happened at that portal). His whole life is kind of out of whack due to the misinterpretations of that seer and I find myself wondering now what he's going to do with that last piece of information about the 'child being his undoing". :eek: That can be interpreted SO many ways and now that he knows Henry is his grandson, he's got some big decisions to make regarding that prophecy and it will be interesting to see what he does next. Interesting to learn how he got the power to see the future too (relating back to the early episodes of season one where we learned that fact from Snow & Charming's conversations). Robert C. was also amazing tonight and actually, I thought everyone was really great tonight. This was seriously one of the best episodes of the whole series and kudos to Jen, Robert, MRJ, Jared Gilmore, and everyone else for totally bringing it. :respec:

I LOVED Snow and Charming talking about their family tree! Nice diversion from the other drama going on and hehe, classic line alert: "Good thing we don't have Thanksgiving in our land, because that dinner would suck." -Charming :rofl:

I hated the part with Greg spying on everyone. It didn't seem to fit into this episode and I just don't care enough about him right now to tolerate his presence in this otherwise fantastic episode. Where are they going with that story?! :eek:

I really hope Regina is playing her mother like a string instrument because Cora is just downright evil and I really don't want her to succeed in finding that dagger. I think that last part where Cora threw Hook across the room will be what drives Hook to the Charming side of the battle lines. Ugh, Cora is just awful. Regina...you were doing so well with the whole being good thing! STOP TRUSTING YOUR MOTHER!!!! :mad:

Michael Raymond James needs to be a full time cast member next season. :swoon: He was great in the scenes with Jen, I loved his scenes with Henry (although I fear Henry will find out the hard way that his dad isn't really any better than Emma when he looks at the big picture and really understands what his dad did to her), and he easily went toe to toe with Robert C. in their scenes too. I haven't really seen MRJ in anything else prior to this show but I am fast becoming a very big fan of his and I can't wait to see more of him in this second part of the season. Good casting OUAT!!! :cheer:

OK, I feel a little better and now I need to go to bed. Emotional overload...AUGH!!! LOL :lol:

2. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I wonder if Henry being Rumble's undoing is meant in the same way that Belle was the Dark One's undoing...i.e. her loving him was defeating the Dark One and putting an end to his existence, allowing Rumple to come back. I've ALWAYS said that Henry is more than just an antidote to the whole fairytale. I always thought that he was a wildcard; something Regina and Rumple never planned into the whole curse, but now that I know he was foretold by the seer, it's clear he has his own part to play in the story .Who knows, he may end up being a fairytale character himself. :p

And goodness, aren't motivations going to be beyond twisted? Regina wants Henry, so she's against Rumple, Emma and Snow. Previously Rumple was ambiguous to Henry, but now Henry is his grandson and while I believe he may be entertaining thoughts of offing the poor child, I think he will eventually view this as his way to get a do-over with Bae...do right by Henry, and he's atoning just a small bit for what he didn't do for his son. And Emma wants Henry, so she's against Regina, but now if Rumple has got his finger in the pie, she'll be against him too. And Cora wants Henry because she wants Regina. And Snow and Charming just want their family, dang it!

Considering that a great deal of their dispute revolves around Henry, I wonder if Emma will end up going back to Storybrook but leaving Henry with Bae. It's a loooooooong shot; she has serious issues with the guy and may not realize exactly how much danger Henry is in, but it's the smartest thing to do. If she and Rumple go back home without Henry there will be big trouble, but at least the greatest danger will be averted, in that Henry can't be used as a bargaining chip by anyone. Which is what I'm really afraid will happen if he goes back. The only person who DOESN'T have a stake in Henry is Hook, but he's really got nothing going for him except a death wish to kill Rumple. He may be the only non-Charming family member to stand by Emma if worst comes to worst, because basically everyone has screwed him over and I don't think he likes being bossed around by Regina and Cora.

OuaT has alllllllllways been about family. Snow and Charming. Emma and her parents. Rumple and his son. Regina and Cora. Not to mention pretty much every other single character has got family issues. But now our main characters...they're all mashed together and they ALL are family to each other. I'm not saying the series is going to end with them all having Thanksgiving together (snort), but if he show has tried to tell us anything, it's that family is a strong bond. They might have some SERIOUS issues to work but, but still...there's more to this then meets the eye.

Oh, and since Henry has two magical parents? Kid totally has magic too. He just may not know it yet, just like it took Emma years to discover she had it. :p :D

P.S. I think the whole tourist with the camera is going to be our ticket back to Storybook. If he brings the media to Storybrook, the townsfolk are going to have no choice but to go back home. Hence the long foreshadowing talks between Snow and Charming and Jack and his beans, and stuff. That's how we're going back.

3. Nan

Nan Just me

Henry talling Emma that she was no different than Regina kind of broke my heart.

I'm not sure how I feel about Bae/Neal right now. I think a lot is going to depend on how he and Henry get along, or don't.

4. flutzilla1

flutzilla1 Well-Known Member

I must be the only one in the universe who does NOT want Emma to end up with Neal. He came off as extremely selfish to me in the episode and had a LOT of nerve yelling at her about not telling him she had a kid (uhm hello? left her to rot in jail? and didn't even attempt to make contact once she got out? she SO doesn't owe you anything!!). He is a coward just like his father. Emma needs a love interest who will fight for her, and Neal/Bae has proven time and time again he is NOT that person. If they end up together I will be extremely disappointed.

Now Hook on the other hand....:)

5. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Ohhhhh, I like where your thinking is going. Yum yum.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I stopped watching this show a while back because I couldn't deal with Regina's overacting and Henry annoyed me to no end. But I watched last night's episode because of Michael Raymond James. I loved him in True Blood and I loved him in Terriers. He was great last night. And he was great with Emma.

7. HeatherC

Neal's only been in two episodes so far and you're all ready at that point with him? I'm not trying to change your mind or anything but that's an awfully quick rush to judgment since we don't even know what all has happened to him yet. In his defense, he thought he was doing the right thing for her especially since it was his father's curse that caused her to not have her family. His intentions were not bad even though what he did was awful to Emma. Also, I don't think he knows that August didn't fulfill his end of the bargain in watching out for Emma after Neal left (it was the promise he asked of August when they met up in Canada and the only reason Neal would stay away from her). I don't think he knows that Emma gave Henry up for adoption while she was in prison either (that hasn't come up yet and for sure will make a difference). I think he took care of her the best way he could when they were younger and he only left when August butted his annoying wooden nose into everything (not an August fan here if you couldn't tell, LOL). I think once they talk more, Neal's going to understand more about Emma's side of things and she's going to understand what all happened to him after Rumple let go of his hand and he fell into the portal. I give Neal a lot of credit for not lingering on the whole "you kept me from my son" thing (they both seemed adamant about putting Henry first in that last scene together) and he also came back to protect her from Rumple even though he didn't want to see his father so I give him credit for that too. I think these next few weeks will have a lot of revelations for Neal, Emma, Henry, Rumple, and the rest of the cast so it should be pretty intense and fascinating to watch. Sorry for the rant but I feel so protective of Neal that I don't think it's healthy, LOL :lol: :swoon:

I can see the chemistry between Hook and Emma (honestly, Jennifer Morrison has chemistry with everyone....no wonder Emma has been shipped with almost every character on the show, LOL :lol: ) but in the long run, getting involved with a pirate doesn't always end well. Hook doesn't seem to have a high regard for children so he probably won't be too interested in Henry which will be a big deal for Emma because she's not going to leave her kid. He also doesn't stay in one spot too much so that could be a problem. He's pretty vengeful right now too which doesn't sound like prime boyfriend material....at least in my world, LOL :lol: Don't get me wrong, I do like the character a lot (and Colin seems like a really sweet guy) but I don't want Emma to end up with Hook long term. :yikes:

To each his own ship though! ;)

8. Spareoom

I think Hook is gonna die at some point, probably protecting Emma or something. I mean, all he's here for is to kill Rumple, which ain't gonna happen, so...either he keeps on trying to kill him, or he dies. No hanging it up and going back to pirating for him. Can you imagine it, though? Oh the angst. He really is too hot for words but he does have this awful fixation on vengeance that is kind of a deal breaker, lol.

9. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Did I see that Hook had a fake hand in this episode?

10. HeatherC

Yeah, I think he got it at the hospital because he hasn't been able to find his hook. I assume they took it away from him upon Emma's request when he was taken there after the car accident but I have no idea where it actually is right now.

I just rewatched Manhattan earlier tonight and holy crap, it actually got better with a second viewing! :D Rumple and Bae's scene in the apartment is SO powerful and my heart broke for Emma all over again. I have a feeling this episode will get a lot of rewatches from me for the next two weeks, LOL :lol:

11. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Killing Hook ?!! Hell nooooooo !! Please ! I need him ! :)

12. flutzilla1

I couldn't agree more. :)

As for not liking Neal after just 2 episodes, I think it's in huge part because Bae was portrayed as a child as the complete opposite of his father -- loyal, brave and determined. To see him as exactly the opposite of his childhood self in those episodes was a huge disappointment to say the least. IMO he's ended up worse than his father -- at least Rumple attempted to fight for Milah by confronting Hook in the first place, even if he didn't end up dueling him. A few seconds with August was all it took to send him running -- and he even said if he had known who she was in the first place, he would have run the other way. Like I said, Emma needs someone who will fight for her, and clearly Neal/Bae has shown enough times in the two episodes he has been in that he is NOT that person. The only remedy I see for this is him sacrificing himself for Emma and Henry, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see this happening by the last ep of this season or the first one of the next.

That said, I am happy to see MRJ getting more roles. His abilities were wasted in True Blood IMO. They didn't give him much of a chance to develop Rene's character enough that the audience cared at all about him.

13. Nan

Nan Just me

I think this is the problem I have with Neal, I con't connect the grown man with the boy Bae. They seem like two different people.

14. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I don't mind Neal, but I don't find that sizzling chemistry between him and Emma. In terms of chemistry, I prefer Emma with August, Hook, and Graham.

15. MarieM

Emma and Hook for the win :)

16. Nan

Nan Just me

Is anyone still curious about what happened to August once the curse was broken?

17. flutzilla1

From your message board post to the writer's ears...! :D

18. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Yes! I'm dying to know!

19. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

As for Cassidy Freeman, to Smallville fans, she was Tess in the last few seasons. I loved her in that role, and am sorry that it seems "Jack" was offed. Hoping I'm wrong on that.

20. Spareoom

Is she related to Elizabeth Banks or something? Because they look so similar it's freaky; except Elizabeth is blond and Cassidy is dark.

21. MarieM

But I'm not a shipper :) But bringing that to happen could be a loooooot of fun :)

22. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure my mother gave me the same advice. :D

That was such a brilliant piece of writing, showing just how complicated and give-and-take magic is. And, even more compelling, the role of fate and free will -- and how knowing your supposed fate affects your free will decisions. The seer's prediction about the war was 100% true: Rumple's "actions on the battlefield" did in fact eventually make Bae fatherless. (Well, sort of. Sucked into another realm without your father I guess counts. ;) ) Talk about a self-fulfilling prophesy! So was the seer predicting the exact sequence of events, or the inevitability of the final result (i.e., if Rumple had stayed would he have indeed been killed on the battlefield). This is just one example of why I love this show so much!

And I always love seeing the juxtaposition of young & naive Rumple with his older, magicyier self. Like we need more evidence that Robert Carlyle is a frickin' brilliant actor!

23. professordeb

Did I miss the memo? No episode tonight on the 24th? :(

24. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Oscars tonight

25. HeatherC

We always get stuck with a brief break when the Oscars are on in February. Once is back on next week and I believe it's going to be on throughout the entire month of March. :cheer:

Did everyone see the new OUAT commercial during the Oscars?! That was pretty cool! :D

26. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

The good thing about OUAT taking place on a Sunday is that it shouldn't interfere with Worlds.

27. professordeb

Totally missed it :( cause I can't be bothered to watch the Oscars. Sorry to those who enjoy those things but it just turns me off. I like to hear who is up for what and then see who won. All that can be read in a newspaper or online articles.

28. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

^ I'm with you, deb. Just not my scene. I only watch if I really like the host -- but I haven't tuned in since the last time Jon Stewart hosted.

Looking forward to an uninterrupted streak of OuaT starting next week. And the episode with Lesley Nicol (aka "Mrs Patmore") is supposed to be sometime in March, so that's something extra to anticipate!

29. HeatherC

The episode with Lesley Nichol airs this Sunday. :)

30. AshleyN

AshleyN Well-Known Member

So I finally got around to seeing the most recent episode - I thought it was the best episode in ages. Given that I was one who really didn't want Neal to be Baelfire, I thought the execution was excellent. All the New York scenes were really strong, and Michael Raymond-James is a great addition to the cast - I'm kind of hoping Neal sticks around just because I want to see more of him. As for Neal himself, yeah what he did to Emma was a total dick move and pretty indefensible, but I don't think it's enough to write him off completely. I think he has the potential to be interesting.

It's a good thing the Baelfire stuff was so good, because the B Plot was pretty weak. I'm really hoping the map thing is a trick because otherwise Rumple or Belle (whoever's idea it was) deserves to have the dagger stolen for being so stupid.

Regina is a dumbass. I don't even want to visit any other Once discussions just because I don't want to see how her apologists are excusing her happily plotting the murder of innocent people yet again. Let me guess - she's just the innocent victim of her mother's manipulations? And therefore is not at all responsible for her own decisions (as usual)? That's not to say that I don't want Regina to be evil - honestly, I think I prefer her that way - I just wish people would stop making excuses for all the horrible things she does.

As for Hook, as pretty as he continues to be, it's getting harder and harder to take him seriously when he gets beaten up by literally every person he comes up against. They need to do something to restore his credibility a little bit, because right now he's coming across as kind of pathetic. I still think a love triangle with him, Emma, and Neal is coming.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013