OMG! Is George Clooney really...

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Sylvia, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Yup. Lovely, accomplished lady. :) Now lets see the bling.
  3. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

Coveting that pink leather coat.
  4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Is it leather? Her dress seems to have leather accents though. But the coat is nice.
  5. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Good luck to them both. :cheer2:
    LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

teeheehee.
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Aha.
  8. starbucks

starbucks Member

My thoughts exactly.
  9. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

teeheehee. I see George has shaved his beard. But it will grow back ;).
    LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  10. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

11. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I did not know that George Clooney once had a beard.
    Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  12. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

He's been married before.
    Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Oh I knew that.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2014/04/26/george-clooney-engaged/8233169/
  14. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Are there rumors that he's hiding his homosexuality? Why is that this rumor of all rumors is always the most popular "go-to" rumor for male celebrities?
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  15. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I have a hypothetical question. Lets say there is a big male celebrity, an A-lister who is hiding his homosexuality for commercial reasons (that's incredibly sad but that's another story). What would motivate a woman to become his beard wife? Especially, if she herself was not in show business and didn't really need the coverage and glamour of the "dream couple."
  16. redfiretrees

redfiretrees New Member

I guess the biggest motivator could be money?
  17. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

his staff usually gets 1 award season and 1 - 2 summers in lake como plus generous parting gifts
  18. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Marriage, smarriage...I just wish he'd make another movie on a par with The Descendants...I'm crazy about that picture. He was quite effective in that.
  19. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

I think you can picture how much people who are blessed with a lot, feel like they're missing something, that could come in a lot of shapes.
    Plus, I'd say Clooney is probably a charming company, which could be the cherry thrown on top.

He is a spectacular actor. Even though I expected more from The Descendants (hte movie, not him): it's my kind of movie, and I decided to not even archive it. Haven't seen Gravity yet (my bad, I know).
  20. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

21. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

A huge upgrade in one's lifestyle and social network. I think that's worth it for some people. Heck, I'd marry a Kardashian, LOL.

--------------------------

If a guy is a lifelong's bachelor then the rumor is that he must be gay, especially if he's attractive and desirable (at least on paper, anyway) like Clooney. But the same assumption is not made for a woman though; For example, Cameron Diaz doesn't seem to have much success with long term relationship, but I've never read anything about people assuming that she might be a lesbian.
  22. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

I tweeted that because he's marrying a Druze human rights attorney instead of me, he must be anti-Semitic. AND RABID ISRAEL DEFENDERS ATTACKED ME. Chill, people. :rolleyes:
  23. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Best wishes to an extraordinary couple.
  24. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Engaged Schmengaged, ya right.
    Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever New Member

26. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

Very true, it's a double-standard. It's also a double standard that a man can get engaged to a woman 16 years younger and no one will say it's an issue, while a woman doing the same will be ridiculed.
  27. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Well, Congratulations to George and Amal. Wish them the best! :)
  28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

My favorite post on this thread. ^^^

I think I might have heard that rumor. I go to LA a lot...
  29. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

The Decendents was really good. Although one of my favourite GC role was in Burn After Reading (I think he had a beard in that).
  30. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Who were you thinking of?
  31. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Perhaps the poster was thinking of Demi Moore? I seem to recall a fair amount of ridicule for being with Ashton Kutcher? **

**i've probably not got the spelling right on any of those names!
  32. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

Yes, Moore & Kutchner are a prime example. For a while, all the tabloids followed her around and took pictures juset to see if she had had plastic surgery to "keep up" and when they broke up you could see a theme of "we all knew it was only a matter of time before he left the old wench".

I have not seen the same when it comes to older men/younger women (ex. Catherine Zeeta-Jones/Michael Douglas and Harrison Ford/Calista Flockhart) unless the guy is in his 80s.

Movies/TV are also filled with older men/ingenue pairings. I can't think of a similar number of older woman/younger man pairding that weren't played for laughs.
  33. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Twitter:

34. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I think a lot of factors come into play. Societally, the age in which society perceives women to be at their prime is in their early twenties while society views men to be at their prime in their forties. Although I also read that women actors in Hollywood, the ones that make it anyway, hit their pay peak at 34 whereas men do not see the same drastic drop. Things may be changing, but if it is, it's a slow one.

Also, I don't know how influential this is, but Hollywood portrayals of romance often consists of older men with younger women. Although there are movies now that portray a leading man and a leading lady who are closer in age being romantically-involved, it has been a Hollywood norm to show much older men with ingenues. I think it became a big thing once the classic leading ladies and men aging, but the men still receiving roles in romance films and their leading women changing from the likes of Joan Crawford, Bette Davis, etc. to Grace Kelly and Audrey Hepburn. I guess I'm saying we've been programmed to see such relationships as normal. Yes, there are movies geared towards the younger crowd that will show two young people in love, but there are a lot of mainstream movies where the leading actor is a good many years older than the leading lady. The most recent examples are the Jennifer Lawrence films directed by David O. Russell where her characters in both Silver Linings Playbook and American Hustle should have been portrayed by women who are older. Of course, nobody batted an eye or said much (and she even got awards) when she was in a romantic relationship with men much older than her in those films.

Then there's the whole trophy wife thing outside the context of Hollywood. Men trading older "models" in with younger ones as a sign of status. Also, not to stereotype younger women as being doormats or anything, but there's still that power dynamic that men have with younger women that they may not have with older women who are more of the man's equal than the younger women. Again, I'm sure there are examples of older men liking younger women who are assertive, but I do think there's a very real case of men liking younger, inexperienced women who probably tow the line easier (until they either grow out of it and leave or they mature and the men don't care as much because they're older).
  35. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I don't think there was ridicule exactly when they got together, although the entire relationship seemed to be attributed to Moore's famously slavish devotion to keeping a 'hot body' and therefore being able to engage a younger man, who seems to be considered a catch by some although I think he's not good looking and has a revolting public persona*. After the marriage fell apart, though? Demi was crushed by the media, while Kutcher's celebrity seems to be inexplicably on the rise (I think that marriage was a huge career boost for him). I've never liked Demi Moore at all, but I feel bad for her.

*I apologize for that incredibly awkward run on sentence. :p

Anyway, unless this woman has already had her tubes tied, I doubt this will last.
  36. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

I think the influence is huge, in all movies not just Hollywood. Saw two movies recently, one from France and the other from Canada. The latter even had an actress in her early 30s falling madly in love with a 70-year old, including sex scene. It made me think that the director might have been living vicariously through his movie. The uproar of let's say, having Jane Fonda sleep on screen with a 30-year old would be heard for years.

I just think all this is another hurdle to older women's self worth and should be called on. (And yes, I'm an older woman, lol.)
  37. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I think it means you've arrived. You are "A" list! First the gays, then the girls!! If Samantha from Sex and The City is to be believed.
  38. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

Is Clooney on record as not wanting kids?
  39. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I think the whole age difference thing is very relative to the life stages of the people involved, not their gender. We spent yesterday with my 39 yr old sister-in-law and her 23 yr old boyfriend. She is an established adult who owns her own business. He is barely out of college, lives with his parents and has never held an actual job. They are absolutely ridiculous together. She is trying to dress like a 23 yr old and giggling like a 14 year old at every word he says. Meanwhile, half their conversation is composed of one of them responding to the other's cultural reference with "I've never heard of that". We wanted to point out to her a few times that the music or television she had referenced was from before he was born, which she does not seem to realize. Meanwhile, I got his references from my many years of being the caregiver for my 19.5 yr old nephew... Add in that she is tied to where she is and he rambles about moving to the coast or going to graduate school and such 23 year old notions, and this is all bound to go bad. In short, I suspect that a 39 year old man established in his life and a 23 year old girl with no experience in the world would look just as ridiculous as what I witnessed yesterday.

When you get to 52 and 36, chances are both of you (regardless of gender) are established where you want to be, educated, and have been in the world enough to understand each other's cultural references even if they don't quite match up. You are not going to have a situation where one is looking to find their place while the other is wanting to keep him or her where they are currently at.
  40. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member