Olympic Team Competition

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by HSGP21, Aug 8, 2012.

1. HSGP21

HSGP21 New Member

A controversial and over-discussed topic I know ... but Mirai Nagasu just "tweeted" exactly my thoughts while watching the Olympic gymnastics about the new team competition for 2014

Mirai Nagasu ‏@mirai_nagasu
    We should have an individual spin competition, jump competition, twizzle competition, spiral competition.....

Instead of putting skaters through their competitive routine twice at the Olympic level (draining), wouldn't it be interesting to do a smaller, skills based competition pinning the best spinners/jumpers/edge workers/etc from each country against each other...

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Not the first time it's been brought up but I agree!

3. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

So this Olympic Team thing is definitely going to happen in 2014? I never paid much attention to anything regarding that cause I thought no way it would happen. :eek:

When will it take place on the skating schedule? Will only those selected for Olympic teams get to compete, or can others be selected specifically to skate on the Team?

4. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

Its Happening, It's Happening, Its Happening. It is on the schedule BEFORE the traditional individual events. Yes you must be part of the actual qualified Olympic team to participate in the team event.

5. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I've always wanted to see an individual jump, spin, footwork competition in the olympics. I think it'd bring more interest.

6. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

Aw, I thought it'd be better to use different athletes than the ones used in the individual events. That way the deeper teams would be rewarded and more athletes would have a great opportunity.

7. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

A stupid idea that makes no sense to me whatsoever. I don't think it is appealing at all. They reject a team alpine skiing concept but not this. Bleh.

8. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Unless there is no qualified athlete in a disciplin from a qualified team. So if Canada qualified a team but did not qualify a lady, they would be allowed to bring one lady for the competition.

This is not being done with skaters who aren't already Olympic participants because the IOC does not want to add more athletes. So something like this, which would only add a few more athletes, if any, and would add another medal event to their marquee winter sport is right up their ally.

And maybe I'm the only person on earth, but I'm thrilled about it. It's always been a little heartbreaking to me that, in skating, everyone only has one chance for Gold every four years. This way it will be more like Gymnastics. Where you will have individual and team gold medalists. And I don't really think that Gymnastics is inherently much more of a team sport than Figure skating. Plus, I think it'll actually be really nice for the skaters to get to be on a team. It seems like the swimmers, for example, really like getting to be on a team for relays and have that experience instead of always having to be individual competitors. It seems to be the same for Gymnastics.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  9. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM Member

It seems so poorly thought out to me. The skaters participating in the team event will have to skate the same programs twice? Wasn't it in the news a few weeks ago that men's SP will take place the day before the Opening Ceremonies? Was that wrong or the schedule for figure skating is f#%@* up already?

I suspect the skaters were never taken into consideration when the ISU and IOC geniuses developed this team competition. :yikes: But ISU always has the skaters' best interest as its top priorities, right? :shuffle:

Now a jump/spins/footwork competition would be nice, and wouldn't be as time consuming.

10. Theatregirl1122

Gymnasts who compete in prelims, team final, all around, and apparatus finals often do the same routines four times.

There's almost no way the men's SP is scheduled for before opening ceremonies is Sochi. The men are not even the first event on the Figure skating calendar. The team event should be. The only schedule I can find has figure skating the day before the opening ceremony but it also has 11 days of figure skating, not including the exhibition, and only four medal events so it is pretty obviously innacurate. If something is before the opening ceremony, I'd assume it is the team event SPs.

11. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20120725/sochi-winter-olympics-early-start/

I guess it could be the SP for the team event. :(

the gymnastic routines are not always exactly the same and how long do they last? isn't floor the longest and it's only 90 seconds?

12. Theatregirl1122

There's almost no way the men's and pairs' SPs are the day before the opening ceremonies. For one thing, when has there ever been two different competitions on the same day for figure skating? And when have they ever overlapped like that? Besides, it has been announced that the team competition comes first. Since the team competition includes 40 total SPs which count as the preliminary round, perhaps they are splitting them over a couple of days rather than doing them all together. (Extra $$$$ and less time per session) So the men's and pairs' SPs for the team event are probably before the Opening Ceremonies. That would also explain why there are 11 days of competition for figure skating instead of 10.

I'm not sure what how long they last has to do with it? Sure, Gymnastics routines are not always exactly the same because gymnasts may save their most risky tricks for event finals, but they are generally the same. Aliya Mustafina did her floor routine four times and she never did it differently except for the execution. Aly Raisman made slight changes to hers (took out the end of her first pass) but that would be like a skater doing a 3-2 instead of a 3-3. She didn't get new music or choreography.

I seriously just can't understand why figure skating fans would be unhappy about there being more figure skating.

And tons and tons of athletes at the Olympics compete more than twice in 17 days. I don't see why it should be the end of the world for skaters.

13. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Lucindah Ruh would be a 3 time olympic gold medalist!
    I would love to see a competition where ladies would go for 3A or quads.

14. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

Probably because we know how this sport works :D

If they really feel the need to do this have the team event after the individual events to represent the afterthought it is. Or even better bring in synchro, that skating discipline that is actually a team sport :p

15. Theatregirl1122

I know how figure skating works and I'm excited.

And adding Synchro would add hundreds of athletes, the exact opposite of what the ISU wants. So that's a non-starter.

16. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

everything about the team competition screams "fake pro/am comp" a la the '90s. breaking the team event into individual elements would just add to that. I'm worried that the participating skaters will hurt their chances at the real competition by having to do the silly team stuff first.

17. alchemy void

alchemy void it's time for the perkolator

Yes, because the Top Jump competition in the early 2000s was so legendary and enthralling to watch.

It's boring watching isolated technical elements.

I like the team event. I'm sure they will figure the logistics out. I believe in the ISU. :mitchell:

18. Theatregirl1122

Agreed. Except for the part where you believe in the ISU. But I believe that even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The whole point of figure skating is that you are expected to show all those skills seamlessly blended into a program (in which you are skating to the music and showing interesting choreography and transitions).

I can't imagine anything more boring and pointless than skaters doing individual elements.

20. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Honestly. Cynthia Phanuef wins gold for best toe jump!

I can easily imagine a skater not ever getting an actual program choreographed because they're so focused on the twizzle competition.

I don't know why there is this need to give figure skaters more medals. Is a figure skater's feelings hurt that they're not part of those stupid "Greatest Olympian Ever" discussions? As if I ever rewatch one of Michael Phelp's swims or Usain Bolt's runs.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  21. walei

walei Well-Known Member

A figure skating program is a sum of all elements interconnected seamlessly (mostly). A gymnastic all around competition is not. Therefore I disagree with figure skating giving out individual medals for individual elements.

As for team competition, I will reserve judgement until Sochi. On paper it seems random but it could be interesting.

22. t.mann

t.mann New Member

Well said.
    The reason why figure skating is special and very difficult.
    (figure skating = sport + performing art)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  23. t.mann

t.mann New Member

Agree.

24. marysy

marysy Active Member

I don't know what others were thinking regarding an individual element competition, but I was imagining a scenario in which skaters would do a series of 5 jumps, for example, allowing 1 or 2 in combination, and the skaters can choose which jumps to do. Almost like a mini program of jumps. Similar with spins in different positions. This way, not everyone's would be exactly the same. Similar to gymnastics, skaters could qualify for these competitions based on the total points earned for all spins or jumps in their free skating program(s), so that only the top 10 or something would be able to compete in this.

25. HSGP21

HSGP21 New Member

The point of figure skating has always been an individual competition so this format is already changing the rules.

26. vexlak

vexlak Member

We cannot not even hold pre-eliminary rounds on ISU competitions. How in would you be able to hold different events which would spread over several days? You may have noticed that the gymnastic competition is underway with more than one athlete on the floor. Try that on the ice...

27. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

This seems very poorly thought out. The athletes don't even have a choice if they want to compete in team or not. I don't see why any athlete wouldn't want a 2nd medal chance, but they should have the choice.

28. senorita

senorita New Member

My only wish is that the team event would be after the individual competition, it would be great to see sth like the 4x100m realy final of men, it d be like a party after the anxiety of main competition will have ended. Now scheduled so early, it looks like, we get over it fast to go to competing for real.

29. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I probably sound like a wowser, but I think it makes the Olympics that little bit less special with the team event.. It not that 4 minutes of magic thing... you've already done it the week before. I don't know.. maybe I just don't like change....

30. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

It would also let someone who individually has absolutely no chance of an Olympic medal get one because of other strong skaters from their country.