Olympic spirit drives orthopedist Debi Thomas

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Christine Brennan on Debi Thomas: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/brennan/2010-08-15-debi-thomas_N.htm
  2. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

It would be great to see Debbie skate again. I'm sure she'll pull off a 2A at least.

As far as not setting expectation too high for surgery, that would be true for cosmetic surgeries, but what would be a too high expectation for orthopedic surgeries ?
  3. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Uh, there is a LOT that can go wrong with joint replacement surgery, and with potentially more serious consequences than with most elective cosmetic surgery. Unfortunately I know someone who has had to have his knee replaced three times in the past 14 months due to things that went wrong with the surgery. Last I heard, he still wasn't able to walk. :( That is a very bad result, but many other "good results" still do not measure up to what some patients have in mind. I know of several people who have had hip or knee replacement surgery and the post-op, rehab, and final mobility varied quite a bit -- but all (except the first case I described) experienced a great reduction of pain (nearly complete in most cases).

Thanks for the link, Sylvia. I'm looking forward to seeing Debi skate again -- and I may actually have a chance to do so in person. I'm just a bit :wideeyes: to belatedly learn that Debi Thomas has been living in my community for nearly three years! And I call myself a skating fan. :slinkaway
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  4. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I'm interested in who else will be in this "Golden Age" show. Anyone know?
  5. ponta1

ponta1 New Member

What a wonderful story about an absolutely wonderful person!! Dr. Debi Thomas is beautiful both inside and out!
  6. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Debi was one of the first skaters that I really followed, and while I was disappointed for her at the Olympics, I've loved seeing her become so successful off ice. It's nice to see her involved in skating because she's a great role model for athletes trying to transition to the next stage of their lives.

And :respec: to her for her planned trip to Nepal.
    Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  7. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

People often see surgery as a magic bullet that will solve whatever problem they are having 110% with no further effort on their part. That's true for every kind of surgery I've seen including cosmetic, bariatric and orthopedic.
  8. Jubak

Jubak Well-Known Member

Some of that may be true, but personally, I was in such incredible pain with my knee there was absolutely no other answer. I tried everything, and I do mean everything. I had a knee replacement done 2 months ago and I am completely out of pain and recovered. There is no right answer for everyone. I had a skilled surgeon and great rehab. I just went back to work today. What is good for one person may not be the same for another.
    KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Orable

Orable New Member

ITA! Thanks for the update on her Syvia :) I've always admired her skating and public life as a doctor :respec:
  10. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

:respec: Dr. Thomas!!
  11. Pikachuusb

Pikachuusb New Member

I look forward to seeing her skate :cheer2:

Im all for surgery. When I snapped my ACL & ripped off the miniscus, my leg was giving out when I stood still making me collapse several times a day. After surgery I am able to run, dance, skate, do jumps etc. I adore my orthopedic surgeon :)
  12. MacMadame

I don't think you comprehended my posting. I didn't say surgery was bad or that everyone who has it is delusional about what it does for them. Heck, I've had four surgeries myself. I said some people have unrealistic expectations about what it will do for them and some people think surgery does all the work.

In your case, that would be people who have knee replacement surgery but then don't go to rehab and/or don't do the exercises their PT gives them to do at home and then complain about how knee replacement "didn't work" for them when they don't heal properly. That doesn't sound like you at all.
  13. JamieSix

JamieSix New Member

I can't wait to see her skate! I've been wondering how she's doing with skating aside from the doctor stuff.
  14. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

I'm sure Fumie must be in it if it's a golden years thing... :cool:
  15. AragornElessar

AragornElessar New Member

Yes, it would be wonderful to see Debi out there on the ice again. I've missed her over the years.

I will never forget halfway through her FS at Calgary, Debi looking at the camera w/this oh so lost and heartbroken look on her face. I just wanted to reach through the TV Screen and give her a hug. :(

Speaking as someone w/a mild form of a rare form of Dwarfism, and I've always said if this was the mild form, then I am very thankful even w/all the challenges I've got. Such as being an average normal height when my Parents were told that wouldn't happen. I'm 5"2 and proud of it!! Anyway....

I'll be a guest in my Foot Surgeon's OR at St Mike's in Toronto again one of these days due to how my disorder formed my feet. In fact, he wasn't all that hopeful of fixing the problems I was having w/my left foot last year, simply because of how my feet were formed and are. That problem was an awful lot of pain and feeling like a bone was sticking out of my foot. In fact, he couldn't even examine the thing both at the Consult visit and then a few minutes before I went to the OR on Surgery Day last year and I couldn't put my full weight on the thing either. Things were *that* painful.

I was positive I needed his help in the OR w/what was going on, as everything else I'd tried didn't work. He was pretty scared to agree to doing it though and really did not think what he was going to try would work. He also warned me several times w/how my feet are, he thought the surgery had about a 20% chance of resolving things.

Turns out that feeling like something was sticking out? I needed to have the support bones of my last little two toes lifted because the way they were angled down. Even w/the Pain Meds and the leftover Anesthetic, I could tell right away something was different and in the right kind of different too. So I was feeling a bit more optimistic when I had my first follow up.

He still wasn't sure it was going to solve the pain issues, but since this was the kind of proceedure where I could weight bear in an air cast right away, I *knew* the feeling of something sticking out was gone. So right there, considering just how "weird" my foot structure is and risky an operation on my feet is, just that much went past those "Sky high expectations".

However, I'm very happy to say that a year and a half later and the pain's pretty much gone. It still aches when the weather gets damp, but I can deal w/that. I noticed after not needing the Pain Meds past week one Post Op that the area where the work had been done was numb in feeling. That's now gone, which makes me (and also my Surgeon as I asked him about it) think the angle those bones were at, were compressing either a major nerve or a couple of them. It's the only explaination why it went from not being able to be touched/examined, to my Surgeon being able to rub some lotion on/into it six months later.

So...I hope that gives you an example of what Debi could have meant by "Sky High Expectations" when it comes to the Orthopedic side of things. :)

Can Luc really be 13 now? Yi yi yi....Where'd the time go to!?!
  16. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Much as I would love to see Fumie again, the show is called a "Salute to the Golden Age of American Figure Skating," so I think the entire cast will be American.

I am very happy that things have worked out well for Debbie, and am delighted that she will be part of this show. I felt like giving her a hug following her free skate in Calgary, too.
  17. The Fly On The Wall

The Fly On The Wall Active Member

Hey! Maybe Nicole Bobek could "get back out on that ice" in this show!!!!! :rolleyes:
  18. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

This seems like the kind of show Michelle should do.
  19. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

The show is for skating stars coming out of retirement. Michelle has never retired :p.
  20. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Chicago Defender article (Sept. 1, 2010): Former figure skater champion headed on a medical mission to Nepal
  21. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Brian B, Scott and Evan are scheduled to be there...along with Peggy, Dorothy,Nancy, Mike and Todd, Kimmie, Rudy and Sasha.
  22. Jim Hodges

Jim Hodges New Member

Yes, I must agree that she is someone that really cares about others and always takes the time to respond to you. As a surgeon she shows the same care. If you can see her skate on occasion you are very lucky. If I could get there I would love to see her. Everything she does is from the heart.
  23. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

She's been posting some vids of her practices on facebook--not doing too badly! Her spins are quite good, but jumps are still coming along.
  24. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

I believe Rocky Marval and Calla Urbanski will also be skating together again.
  25. KCC

KCC Active Member

No Tara? From the length of that thread about her possible return, I thought surely she'd participate.
  26. floskate

floskate Vacant

Any chance of some links Spinner? :D
  27. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

It's on her facebook fanpage.... http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Debi-Thomas/81725206663?ref=ts You may have to "like" the page to view the wall posts, not sure, but who doesn't like Debi? ;)

Scroll down to see the 5 or 6 clips she's posted. The video is small, but it's neat to see her getting back into this!
  28. newbatgirl

newbatgirl New Member

Love Debi, she was always such an inspiration to me and she continues to be.

I wonder of she'll bring out one of her classic comic skating performances. That would be awesome.
  29. DreamSkates

DreamSkates New Member

Sounds like a great event. On TV anywhere perchance?
  30. floskate

floskate Vacant

Thanks Spinner. Those were great to see!
  31. aymkjb88

aymkjb88 New Member

Good for her, she's a great inspiration!
  32. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Well-Known Member

One of those rare celebrities, athlete or otherwise, who has never been in the tabloids, instead just seagues from respectable skating champion to respected orthapedic surgeon. Best kind of role model is often the kind that doesn't try to be one, but just is one by being herself.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  33. Gwoofer

Gwoofer New Member

Debbie was always a top notch athlete, but, without an ounce of comprehension of what artistry/performance/Codes of Aesthetics (jk) are/were. If Caryn Kadavy/Jill Trenary/Rory Flack/Liz Manley and/or last be so not least Katarina Witt among many others; well, I love to see an athlete still be athletic but give me an artistic type anytime if I gotta choose

Oh yes: Kudos to all the surgeons with integrity out there; had a hip done myself with great success and feel so lucky
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  34. MacMadame

Maybe getting older and being out of skating will change her skating and make it more about the artistry.
  35. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?