Olympic Rink opens in Georgia

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by maureen_diffley, Aug 25, 2011.

1. maureen_diffley

maureen_diffley New Member

The first Olympic standard ice rink in Georgia was opened in Batumi by the president Mikhail Sakashivili on Tuesday, August 23rd.

Elene Gedevanshivili and other skaters were said to have performed. It's named after Elene :yikes:. The president and his son Nikols and other members of the public got on the ice after the opening ceremony, which took 45 minutes.

The Republican party had been opposed to the construction of the rink, budgeted at 1.5 million Lari, but it eventually was passed and allocated this sum. However, there was spent 2.5 million Lari (about 1.5 million dollars).

Free lessons will be available for children aged four to eleven years old, starting with the beginning of the school year.

The photo showed an arena that has adequate seating for JGP or GP events.

Also planning to build a 30,000 spectator arena in Batumi that Sakashivili says will be the best and biggest in the Caucasus.

The president is hopeful the ice rink will encourage tourism to Black Sea city of Batumi, which already has dolphin arena, kickin musical fountains (I'm so serious on this, it's really quite impressive actually), boardwalks, renovated city center, unreal botanical garden, etc., etc. And the best hachapuri:)

The news is in Russian language www.georgiatimes.info

BTW, Does this mean Elene didn't skate at Moran? Any reports on Moran?

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  2. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Batumi for Skate America 2012! :cheer2:

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

When I saw the headline I thought it was in the US state of Georgia! :lol:

4. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

Congratulation Georgia! :cheer:

5. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

6. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Congrats to Georgia and Elene! By it's being named after her, it’s nice to learn she’s a celebrity there. For its small population Georgia has been a powerhouse in sports, and I look forward to many more elite skaters to come out of the country.

7. tkrm7778

tkrm7778 Member

8. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Didn't Elene switch coaches this summer? Orser?? I can't remember...She stayed with Robin Wagner one season too many. Elene is talented but she's got real consistency issues...hopeful whoever she's with now can help her with that...

9. maureen_diffley

maureen_diffley New Member

According to Moran registration, Robin Wagner was listed as her coach there.

10. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Elene didn't skate at Moran.

11. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Ugh my hopes got dashed - I thought this was the state of Georgia which is suffering for good ice time.

12. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Then Allison Reed could go too, and finally set foot on Georgian soil. Oh, wait...

13. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

me too! I was wondering how they would pronounce Gedevanishvili in the South!

14. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

And Otar Japarizde continue skating.;)

15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I hope Georgia actually has coaches and can start a proper FS program now.

16. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis

Lol, I MUST admit I went into this thread just to check whether it's about the US state :lol:

I'm sure there are better ways the money could have been spent, but I know what Saakashvili has been working hard to make Batumi a city of his dreams. Personally I remember it very distantly, just the dolphinarium a bit and the endless spots of oil on the Black sea. But those are nice memories anyway somehow :)