Olympic gold medallists Sale, Pelletier divorce

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Judy

Judy New Member

You're assuming a lot though. We all have no idea of the condition of David's first marriage when he was paired up with Jamie.

He has never been my favourite and it would surprise me if he fools around but I doubt we'll never know the whole story either. It's private and between them.

2. blademate

blademate Member

Q: How did the almost ex-wife go on a Stars On Ice Tour with both the ex AND the much younger other woman??

A: She put in a request for a separate tour bus :sekret:

3. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

Spoken like a woman in her 20's.

4. pani

pani Well-Known Member

And what difference must be between patners?

5. oakl0008

oakl0008 New Member

LOL thanks for this blademate. :lol:

Hope you don't mind. I pm'd you. :)

6. REO

REO New Member

Very true and sometimes these things work out great. It's just that it sets a precedent. It didn't work out this time for whatever reasons. Sad for the baby.

7. Sabrine Tornston

Sabrine Tornston Member

Can't speak for Perky, but to me the reasons are quiet obvious. Canadian pairs didn't have the level of success everyone had hoped for... for many years. The evil Russians kept winning. Finally, here they were - legitimate gold medal candidates, Canada's pride & joy. So might as well portray them as "perfect" no? Perfect smiles, perfect hair, and a perfect relationship. :wall: I was embarrassed by how the North American media fawned over Jamie & David before, during and after the Olympics. Never the less, this is a sad (albeit expected) news. I really feel for their little boy.

8. Fashionista

Fashionista New Member

Spoken like a woman who has a long lasting relationship with a man who's 25 years older than her.

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  9. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Obviously relationships with big age differences can work, but usually it's not a good idea for a 20 year old and a 35 year old to get together. It's usually more for the temporary fun of it than for a life relationship.

Anyway, we don't really know for sure who is with who anyway.

10. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

this should be someone's siggy or rep level

HisWeirness and (deleted member) like this.
  11. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I feel like a lot of people are ignoring the motivating factor that will keep Jamie/David skating together-- $$$! They're a package deal. They can't make anywhere near the same amount of money separately; they need to appear in performances and tours together. Sure, they can quit skating professionally and go into coaching, but they must think there's still money to be made by skating together. Although considering the ice cold death stares they've been giving each other in all recent exhibitions and interviews, who knows how well that will go or how interested Canadian fans will continue to be.

12. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I think you kind of covered it in your post- sure, they can make $ skating together but if a lack of chemistry between them in their performances causes audiences to become increasingly bored with them, then eventually that avenue will dry up, too...(I think???)

13. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

I'm laughing at some of the posts here making David out to be the bad guy in all of this. While it's true he's a total cad, Jamie cheated on him several years ago with NHLer Paul Kariya while on the SOI tour. S&P broke up for awhile because of it, but eventually got back together and then got engaged/married.

There have also been rumours floating around Edmonton the past few months that she has broken up Craig Simpson's marriage and is dating him now.

As for Virtue and Pelletier, I still don't get what a 20 year old girl would see in a guy 15 years older who has been married twice and has a two year old child, but that's just me.

14. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

The Canadian media is a much kinder gentler organization than the hounds here in the US. American's like nothing more than their stars to fall after they are on a pedestal. This isn't going to play out well that Canada's golden couples are each other's downfall - so to speak. I love my northern neighbors and really don't want to see this media circus that we too often expect here in the US. PS. Anyone commenting on Jamie's looks can kiss my grits. You obviously haven't raised a baby/toddler and even begin to know the toll it takes. :mad:

15. cammelia

cammelia New Member

And there is Celine Dion and her husband manager Renee Angelil.

16. canbelto

canbelto Well-Known Member

Well good luck Tessa is all I can say.:( If both people are mature, a big age difference can absolutely work out. But it will be harder. For one, they are at really different phases in their lives -- one is twice-divorced with a kid, another is very young and in college.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  17. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

I remember hearing about Jamie's cheating back before they got married and then wondered why the two of them bothered to get married after all that had gone down over the years. Just seemed like a mess waiting to happen.

Hopefully they'll be able to co-parent Jesse without too much baggage.

18. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Has this been verified? You just state it like it's a fact. I'm not saying it's not true, since you probably know what you are talking about, I'm just surprised.

So they both have cheated on each other then?

19. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

No, and it was in fact categorically denied by the S&P site back when it happened. So who knows?

The only real fact here is that they've decided to divorce. Everything else is speculation.

20. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

The phrase "once a cheater, always a cheater" often proves to be true. We don't know for sure if that's what happened, but it would make sense given the history.

:lol: Watching them through the years, I did find both Jamie and David to be more arrogant and whiny than normal. Maybe that did cause them to clash at times, but that would be no excuse to cheat (if that's indeed what happened). And David was with Sasha!? :lol: Honestly, it doesn't surprise me... She reminds me a little of Jamie in terms of arrogance and "diva-ness". :yikes:

I'm sure there are people who get in relationships simply because they are physically attracted to each other and couldn't care less about past history (ie still married or past marriage problems). I'm sure her fans would know a lot more about Tessa than I would, but who knows what her morals/beliefs are and what she values in a relationship. I, personally, would steer clear of what seems like a bad situation, but I know everyone is different.

The 15 yr age difference would make more sense if the two people are at similar points in their lives and are both good people. But red flags go up when a guy leaves his first wife for another woman and then leaves his second wife barely a year after his first child is born. David may be a charming guy, but that doesn't mean he's a good guy. And then there's the issue of whether their schedules mesh-- Tessa is supposedly still training, competing, and is enrolled in school, and David has a rather different set of commitments, including his own travel schedule for work and most importantly, a very young child. It's very weird to me, but they of course can do what they want.

maggylyn and (deleted member) like this.
  21. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

Paul Kariya? I never heard that. :eek:

22. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

What a tone of bitterness and extreme dislike in some of these posts - the smug self-congratulations (We were right! And there's MORE!) and the treating of sad personal business like it’s a spectator sport.

Wow, once at a cheesefest I sat next Matt Savoie’s and Tim Goebel’s moms. Thanks, Dave Lease, for letting me know that means I MUST have been having an affair with both their kids. :p

23. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

You two-timing SLORE!!! :p

24. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Okay so she could not have possibily thought he was beyond doing something like this and she approved the

behavior before so she should not be pittied.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  25. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

S/P weren't married at the time.

She did that before--took up with Pelletier when he was married to wife #1.

That's me, too.

26. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Well it makes sense based on their history that they would deny it since they haven't exactly been very upfront about anything else, so I'm not sure I believe them.

Still, as I said above, unless there is confirmation of it somewhere, we can't take the word of rumors either.

27. i love to skate

i love to skate New Member

It's quite possible that the Tessa/David relationship (if true) is just a casual fling/relationship and not a serious long term relationship. They would see each other at skating competitions and what not and perhaps that suits them just fine.

I don't find it weird that a 20 year old woman would be attracted to an older, successful, charming man, nor do I find it weird that a 35 year old man would be attracted to a successful, beautiful, young woman! Lots of girls in their late teens/early twenties date men that are quite a few years older than them.

28. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Yes that's exactly what my post says. Had a fling with Kariya that broke up her relationship with Pelletier. Then got back together with Pelletier and married him. What is your point?

euterpe and (deleted member) like this.
  29. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Whether or not it is true, Tessa & David - why would she be interested, to me...
    -he is attractive
    -he has a sense of humor, from the little I have seen in interviews
    -a skater/oly gold medalist - he might understand all the stuff she has been through in winning the gold medal.
    just a thought.

30. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

It has to be hard to have a positive relationship while in a fish bowl of a tour/tour bus/tour cities with cast mates. Your happy, sad, mad, extremely angry times are shared with everyone you work with, eat with, travel with...

You need to be working together as a pairs team because it is who you are, rarely are you referred to as just Jamie or just David. It is always S/P not individuals.

Whether or not they were separated for anytime before another woman or man enters the scene, quick jumping into another relationship doesn't allow someone to really know themselves as individuals. And I would hope that all parties think about what jumping into a relationship would mean. But then that is just me.