Olympic gold medallists Sale, Pelletier divorce

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 4, 2010.

1. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Sweetie, all of us look noticably different than 8 years ago. I can't believe that I am commenting on this. :wall:

Before this thread becomes a totally train wreck, I will write that I was sorry to hear about this. I will not cast judgement because no one leaves a broken marriage undamaged. Mostly, I feel for their boy.

2. Judy

Judy New Member

For those that aren't or haven't been married (yet) .. it takes two to contribute to any marriage breakup.

I wish them the best, a divorce is never, ever easy especially when there is a child involved.

3. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

No, not really.

4. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

I thought David was with Sasha Cohen, not Dube (pre-Virtue).

5. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

Marriage is hard work, it takes understanding, patience, respect, compromise and commitment.

Its easy to forget these things and its easy to take for granted. Divorce is hardest on the kids, I hope that Jamie and David have the ability to remember this with their actions, decisions and words to each other.

6. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Oh now you are just purposely being funny, right?!?!

Ladies - there is more than one straight man in the skating world. Spread the love around, he shouldn't get it all!

7. Norlite

Norlite New Member

Yeah, that's what I heard too.

Last year, during the SOI tour.
    (or was it the year before?)

8. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

You stay classy, there, Fashionista.

ebayj and (deleted member) like this.
  9. i love to skate

i love to skate New Member

Why would you wonder that? :confused:People don't aim to get a divorce!

It is much better for a child to grow up with parents who are happier apart rather than staying together "for the sake of the child". Jesse won't remember his parents being together, so the way he sees his life will be the way it is now....with two loving parents who do not live together. This will be a more supportive, loving, and productive environment for Jesse to grow up and thrive in.

As for the Tessa/David outrage...what's the big deal? David and Jamie were separated for 18 months and Tessa would have been 19/20 in that time frame...an adult who is old enough to make her own decisions! 15 years is not the biggest age difference either.

10. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

This post pretty much sums up the way I feel about the situation. As long as they're both being good parents to their son, the rest is the business of legal adults. They're certainly not the first (famous) couple to divorce, and I somehow doubt they'll be the last...

11. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

This is sad. Oh well.

12. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I think the problem is, that people thought, if S-P skated "Love story" they must be together forever. Its understanding, that if man start living without his family, he will find new gf soon. I vcand understand, what a problem, if Tessa dating with him?

13. Wyliefan

So says one theory, though it hasn't been proven beyond dispute. Read Between Two Worlds by Elizabeth Marquardt sometime.

But at any rate, I wish the very best for Jesse, and I hope his parents can make it work as well as possible.

14. i love to skate

i love to skate New Member

Divorce is absolutely stressful on children, no matter what the age and situation is. However, there are so many other implications that can arise when parents stay together for the kids. Is it really better for children to witness parents fighting, yelling, being disrespectful, showing constant tension, and no affection towards each rather than living in separate households? Children learn by what their experiences are and what is shown to them.

There is lots of research that has been done that shows that the younger a child is when the divorce occurs, the better they adjust to their new surroundings. Mostly because a toddler does not have the same understanding than say, an adolescent does so it is easier to accept this new lifestyle.

I will check out that book sometime. I just finished up my Bachelor's degree though, so I think I will be giving myself a little break from reading :lol:

15. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Carol Heiss and Hayes Jenkins

16. ebayj

ebayj New Member

Great post, and I'm sorry to hear of this confirmation of their problems. I think they are smart enough to love their child more than they may resent each other. And that is really important.

It takes two to make a relationship work, and two to have it fail. I'm impressed they're willing to continue to perform together, but on the other hand, how else can they make a living or provide for their child? Very sad all around, but hopefully they will both be happier now and in the future.

17. ros01

ros01 New Member

:watch:

WOW, I had no idea about any of this stuff, and I call myself a huge skating fan! I must have been focusing too much on the darn competitions. I'm mostly astonished at how little of this stuff makes the media. I had no idea that Pelletier had been married before Sale, and if I didn't know, you can bet the farm that the general public didn't know. No idea they were splitting up, and certainly none about him being with Sasha Cohen and/or Tessa!

Well, um, I do still think he's done some pretty good commentary, and he was a good skater.

18. Mevrouw

Mevrouw living every minute

Various rumours suggest that David has a VERY wandering eye. And other body parts.

skatefan and (deleted member) like this.
  19. ChiquitaBanana

ChiquitaBanana Well-Known Member

Hmmm... Scott's dating Jessica Dubé, right?

20. ilovesalchows

ilovesalchows Well-Known Member

Oh come on, none of knows what goes on in other people's marriages.

Figure Skating is such a sport for young people. It becomes evident when reading some of these comments.

Those of you who are wondering why a 35 year old twice divorced father of 2 would be attractive to young women should go read your literature, history, Entertainment Weekly, whatever.

And Jamie looks great, she is neither old nor aging poorly.

I am sure they know what is best for their little guy.

21. SHARPIE

SHARPIE Hapless Board Owner Staff Member

Admin Note

Im not sure where people want this thread to go, so far it's a pile of speculation and
    "Nyah, Nyah... told you so" smugness.

Neither of which is particularly attractive, even in off season. Add in the trolls who add the 'she/he looks rough; comments and this thread is heading for closure...

Please bear that in mind.

22. ChiquitaBanana

Jamie and David's situation is no worse than 30-50% of the couple in your neighborhood. The fact is is that we don't know everything that goes beyond the close doors. In this case, as they are public faces, we know it...

23. SHARPIE

SHARPIE Hapless Board Owner Staff Member

Exactly, good luck to them. Divorce can be a fabulous thing! :summer:

24. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

I don't understand the comments about Jamie's appearance. Save a very unfortunate (and temporary) haircut, she doesn't appear to look less attractive than years before. I don't find her to be aging badly. Any wrinkles she may have appear to be more due to smiling a lot, which doesn't always mean premature aging. Besides, if we're going to talk about someone aging badly, maybe David's balding should be brought up. :p

I'm surprised to hear it admitted they've been separated for 18 months, but it does make sense. Sad to hear, though.

25. ChiquitaBanana

26. Wyliefan

I didn't even think that haircut was all that bad. :shuffle:

27. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I am no Dr Laura - but I am confused by the idea that they think they will be able to stay together for the career but not for their son.

Anyhow - count me in as another person who follows figure skating pretty closely but was not aware of this "public knowledge" about Tessa and David being together. And even though people say that she is old enough...

I dunno - 19 or 20 may be an adult - but there still seems something icky - especially when you put it into the context of Daviid's pattern of leaving one wife for another. I wish she hadn't followed Shae Lynn's example quite so closely in this department.

:(

28. pani

pani Well-Known Member

OMG. Guys, its look, like you all are to ideal to live in reall World. Do you know, how many people had divorce? They are not leaving together during 18 mointh and didnt talk about this only because off comercial reason and OG. What a problem, with Tessa at all i cant understand? She is so young and will have many relationships in her life - why she couldnt dating with David now? (if she did).

29. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

I think it's much easier to keep working together than living together. It's also a much healthier and easier situation to bring new love partners in. Elena Bechke and Denis Petrov skated together after getting a divorce and maybe some others too.

Being in their shoes, I probably would also have kept the turmoil under wraps until the official divorce.

Have to say though that I cringe at seeing any 35-year old date a 20-year old so I'm hoping that didn't happen...

30. oakl0008

oakl0008 New Member

Guys, seriously, Tessa is WAY too good to get into such a relationship. And how would any almost ex-wife go on a Stars On Ice Tour with both the ex AND the much younger other woman? The ex, maybe, but both? How that could work I just don't see it. It just doesn't add up with this situation specifically.

It's almost as if the Tessa rumour is being put out there to cover up the truth. A shame that her innocent name is being dragged through the mud with this lie.

I am not mentioning any names since all of this is just suspect at this point, so I can't see this post getting edited or whatnot. But from what I have heard, the alleged other woman is someone much closer in age to him.

I hope she's prepared to have David repeat the same pattern once he get's bored of her. Any woman would be foolish to invest in a guy with David's habit at this point.