Olympic gold medalist(Ladies) in the history of the World Figure Skating Championship winning

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by figureExpert, Aug 15, 2014.

1. ToFarAwayTimes

ToFarAwayTimes Active Member

It's a mistranslation. She has said countless times that it does not matter what she thinks, because she is not a judge, and that she only cared to do her best.

The only obsessive posters are the Japanese and Russian trolls who drive-by every post or thread to do with Yuna. :)

2. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

It's a new article that NBC obviously stand by (as its not been amended or withdrawn) and there is absolutely no evidence of a mistranslation whatsoever.

3. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

"Deserved" seems to be an odd choice of word though since that suggests, to me, that she wasn't better than silver, which she clearly was.

That said, I feel that Sotnikova's win has been blown out of proportion by some. Was she entirely clean? No. Did I think she should have won? No. Because she wasn't clean whereas Kim was. But she didn't fall, her mistakes were a couple of small stumbles and both skated beautifully in their own way - one as the mature, lyrical person she is, the other as the young, enthusiastic person she is.

Maybe Kim would have won had the Olympics been held in any other country, she certainly would have won had it already been Koreo but as far as the judging is concerned, there have been far worse and more questionable decisions in the history of figure skating!

4. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

What she said "countless times" has no bearing on whether what she said this time was translated correctly. Unless you have access to the original audio of what she said, or unless you were actually there to witness her saying it in person, "she said something different before" is not enough evidence to say that in this particular case there was a mistranslation.

5. ToFarAwayTimes

It's a mistranslation. She has said countless times that it's not up to her to decide and it wouldn't make a difference anyway. Do you think she was lying when she said that, and now all of a sudden she decided what she deserved?

You know, it wouldn't be the first time she was mistranslated on this topic. The IOC was actually proven to have made fake quotes of her after the competition in Sochi.

6. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

And Yuna could stand in front of you and say in perfect English that she is not disappointed about Sochi or that she deserved the silver and you would still claim mistranslation.

If she wanted the gold, she should have skated like she wanted it, not like she expected to get it.

7. overedge

I think that unless you have some more substantive proof that it's a mistranslation - like an accurate, verifiable version of what she said *in that particular interview* - I don't believe it was a mistranslation.

Making up fake quotes is not the same thing as a mistranslation.

8. ToFarAwayTimes

It was a mistranslation. Nevertheless, you are free to believe whatever you want. Nobody cares.

When the IOC intentionally lied and made up fake quotes from her, she didn't say anything on the matter until she was asked if she said those things. When she truthfully answered "no", some western media said it made her look bad, which was obviously not the case, and was a lame attempt to shoehorn another narrative into the discussion, trying to discredit Yuna. Whatever she does against these classless lowlifes as well as your random cut-and-paste Japanese and Russian internet troll, she can't win. She's not going to play games with idiots, nor has she ever tried.

The Vatican newspaper ... it's doubtful the misquote was on purpose, probably just an honest mistake. But since she was criticized (by some) for correcting intentionally malicious lies, I think it's unlikely she would say anything to correct the honest mistake of a neutral religious article.

9. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

Was the editorial comment about Adelina's win really necessary? Dorothy Hamill, by the way, had not won Worlds when she won her OGM. She won it after. Adelina is only 17. Let's see how she does as she continues on. A World gold in the future is not out of the realm of possibility if she can skate clean (0r if others make mistakes).

10. gotoschool

gotoschool Active Member

The most corrupt decision in the history of figure skating for me was giving Sotnikova over 7 points higher in the freeskate than Mao Asada for a freeskate that a majority of people on forums, social media and even among broadcasters, who said Sotnikova's win was legitimate, considered to be the best freeskate, and many who are not even Mao fans thought it should have gotten the World record score. But, her skate just barely got 3rd place. I also think it was wrong for Kim to get a higher score than Mao with just 6 triples compared to 8, and with Mao pouring every ounce of life into her performance to save her dignity. I still think Kim should have won overall, but Kostner would also be a choice I could accept.

The judges pulled a list of tricks to keep Mao's scored down, complete with setting Mao's PCS score exactly at her season average of around 69.5 for the best skate of her life (5th place PCS for that skate!!!!) , giving her rock bottom GOE (every one of her beautiful jumps got under 1 GOE) and downgrading her highest scoring combo jumps ( a trick they also pulled at Worlds), and they still could only get her score down to 142.7, which allowed Lipnitskaya to just barely leapfrog Mao with a fall, a step out, astronomical GOE, and and a higher PCS score, though she had scored on average 7- 8 points lower than Mao in PCS during the Grand Prix Season. This is when Mao didn't skate nearly as well as she did in Sochi. And we haven't even gotten to Sotnikova's inflation.

I see no reason to assuage or attenuate what happened in Sochi as if it is somehow "almost" legitimate or within the "realm of possibility." or there have been worse results so this one isn't so bad, so let's just "move on." Or, let's just look at Kim's and Sotnikova's scores because the gold is all that matters and the other skaters aren't important. It seems like revisionist history is already beginning to whitewash the results and throw the corruption down the memory hole, or at least paint the results a more bearable shade of gray that may grow brighter over time if we just learn to look at it in a different light. That's why I believe it is important to continue the discussion. Corruption that is swept under the rug more often resurfaces, especially if it isn't discussed because it thrives in the dark corners of silence.

For example, this is how a man on the street thinks. I have a good friend who is likes skating but isn't a fan of anyone in particular who had only seen Sotnikova skate, but when I showed him Mao's programs he literally freaked out. He said, "Man, she is waaaaay better than Sotnikova." He also liked Mao better than Kim because of her beautiful jumps, but Kim was in the same league in his view. Then, when I told him Sotnikova scored 7 points more, he immediately thought the competition was a fraud and just laughed it off. This is what the average person thinks and ESPN polls show that more than 90 percent of people thought Sotnikova should have won gold. I think that makes it pretty unanimous that the results were bogus.

One thing that I find difficult as a Mao fan is that many of us (not me) support Sotnikova's score and victory over Kim but don't seem to be bothered that Sotnikova's score is utterly ridiculous in comparison to Mao's, which is the main reason I took to these forums in the first place out of anger for this absurd result. Personally, I put a lot of value on the freeskate winner (or in the case of Sochi Mao's performance) because it is one long performance that I can go back and watch over and over again if it is truly great. Besides, it's 2/3 of the competition. I prefer to see one great performance in the freeskate than two really good performances in the SP and LP. So, I think it is important for the LP score to be given fairly. But, in the case of Sochi, the LP judging was truly awful and the SP scoring wasn't much better.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    hirtmoles31 and conway like this.
  11. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

you're condemning specifically calling us out "fans of certain skater" instead when others on this forum are doing the same thing by condemning the entire country.. when in fact not all are koreans..

you're an admin on this forum but you have no transparency or even fairness at all..

so yeah i call you a hypocrite and others who preached about bashing sotnikova is wrong.. when they're doing the same thing..

12. HVS

HVS Member

-First, you could also read several comments under that NBC article, they said better than me :respec: But I bet you will choose to believe in the magic pharse "Yuna Kim said she deserved to win a silver medal at the Sochi Olympics" for your sake, so whatever, nevermind :blah:
    -Second, what Yuna say or do not related to us. She can be amazing humble as she always be, doesn't mean we must follow her, just make we love her even more :lol:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  13. overedge

You can say it as often as you want, but that doesn't make it any more true.

14. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

Yes, Mao's long program was better than Adelina's and Yu Na's and Yu Na was clean and Adelina had a stumble and some suspect scoring. But the reality is that Mao was out of contention after the short program. Had she had a shot at the podium, she would have skated later and received higher scores. Yu Na and her team misjudged the competition and the
    Russian factor. She was no longer the only one doing difficult triple-triples and she only did six triples to the Russian girls' seven (or seven planned).
    I saw an interview before the competition where it was questioned whether YuNa knew what she was getting into with the Russian audience.
    Right or wrong, she had to up her game to be assured of the win.

15. eternitygoddess

eternitygoddess Active Member

^and how would she have "upped her game"? People who make that argument make it seem like Kim just took the easy route, waltzed in and expected to win the gold

Every skater at the Olympics spent hours designing their programs to max out the points that they're capable of achieving. These skaters have spent the larger half of their lives competing, so they know how the points system works. To assume that any skater would leave points out on the table at the biggest competition of their sport is ludicrous.

Unless you expect Kim to break her back and maim herself to add the triple loop, there wasn't much else she could do to up her tech content.

HVS likes this.
  16. eternitygoddess

eternitygoddess Active Member

Didn't Asada receive a couple of tech calls? What would you say her LP should've been scored, assuming correct tech calls and not super inflated PCS?

17. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

If she couldn't do it, she couldn't do it. But not being able to up her technical content left the door open for one of the Russian girls who each had seven triples planned. That was just the reality of that competition in that environment.

18. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

I never realized until someone on here said it that Mao had only the 5th best PCS. Holy twizzles. I forgot that Lipnitskaia beat Mao on the second mark. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

conway and douglasottawa like this.
  19. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

The judges were quite generous for the top 3 though. Adelina was forgiven with a flutz and UR on the 3T. While Yuna had 3 UR jumps.
    I am in no place to score these ladies' PCS. But if you think the judges need to score more fairly, then it should be applied to everyone in the top 3.

20. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Recent years? People have said it all along - not so much overall, since she popped the combination jump in the short, but she at least deserved a higher placement in the free skate than Bonaly. God knows she received her revenge against Bonaly at Worlds. :inavoid: But I personally would have had her further up (and Baiul a lot lower). Sometimes it has got to do with what each fan sees as most important. Some prefer Baiul's artistry, and some prefer Sato's flow, or Chen's complex choreography, or Kerrigan's steadiness and overall package.

But I get your point :biggrinbo

21. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

yuna had 3 UR jumps? that's new to me.. the only jump that looked UR was the single 3 lutz.. so nice try..

22. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

I am not trying. I don't want to put it here but well
    http://youtu.be/MqwzGmKKy28
    I am not pro Adelina or pro Yuna, just pointing out the obvious. People want fair score, then we need fair scores for all. I am not saying "I think the scores at Sochi were not rigged."
    Ps: I am not the uploader so spare me.

23. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

bwaaaaaa! nice try.. but that was pure bs.. especially the 3lutz-3toe combo.. you know why?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BLi4lmNvR...AAADU/Bsw4iP1_ams/s1600/33471296_40b3ad62.gif

that's the different angle.. so i know what you're trying to do.. so nice try..

24. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

25. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

yes i am.. so nice try..

26. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

Show me where on FSU all the Sotnikova fans (all two of them) are starting multiple threads about how Yuna Kim is an inferior skater to Magda Julin so I can take action.

skateboy likes this.
  27. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

I am sure the reply will be "nice try" again. :biggrinbo
    Some people are too blind to see that their favorite skaters also have wrong edge and UR now and then.
    I am not saying Adelina doesn't have wrong edge and UR. I am saying she does have. But Yuna also does have technical problem. It's pretty much simple. It's not like the end of the world. :2faced: And they are saying it's "nice try". Lol
    The world is not always fair for their favorite skaters.
    This conversation has been repeated numerous times at GK, all the still frames and Rules have been researched. It's not like you can delete it. Lol. Some people just refuse to believe and saying the world is against their favorites only.

28. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

misskarne and other posters here specifically calling "koreans" in her post after sochi when this whole circus started with adelina getting bullied in her instagram.. and his excuse was that the koreans are labeling the "russians evil and corrupt" but i doubt you pay attention to it..

nice try.. i already admit i'm not an expert of UR's and edge calls.. neither you.. so i'm sure there are others who can explain better than i am.. and not some random youtube clip..

29. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

:biggrinbo What the clip is showing is UR basic. If you are saying it's some random youtube clip and refuse to see the clearly image it has shown, then nice try in saying Adelina has flutz and UR jump. And I am saying Adelina does have.
    It's not that hard to admit Yuna also has some technical problems. Actually she does have, just less than many ladies. After she left Orser, her postures in spin and take off to the jumps have declined, but that can be reasoned as she has aged. Anyways the images do not lie.
    Frankly I don't care much about Adelina, she is not my favourite and never will be. I don't care much about Mao either. This is not about anti Yuna or anti Adelina. I am just stating the obvious.
    Just saying one win over Yuna does not mean Adelina will be forever doomed. She does have quality in her jumps and spins that other ladies don't have. So what she does well, admit that she does well. What Yuna does well, the world admit as well, but what she does not do well, why shouldn't we admit it?:blah:

30. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

it's not basic.. there are rules.. which i admit i don't know.. i doubt you even understand the rules.. at least i admit i'm not " a know it all.." yuna's take of her jumps declined after orser? lol! i guess you didn't watch her 2013 worlds.. her spins are declining because of her back and it's not about her age.. that's why she doesn't do a biellmann spin anymore..

she didn't do well? i guess when you skated clean and not falling in your as* as a last skater when you know in your heart that no matter what you will do..you will not win but still pressure is still on you.. and if this in the category of yuna not doing well..oh boy..what a fuc*ed sport this is.. *shakes head*..