Olympic gold medalist(Ladies) in the history of the World Figure Skating Championship winning

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by figureExpert, Aug 15, 2014.

1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I must have missed the rule where you are only allowed to win the OGM if you have also won a Worlds :rolleyes:

Although according to the table, the second place finishers are very special because they get a "Sliver" medal. I guess that's to remind them that they were a sliver away from getting the OGM.

kwanfan1818, skatemomaz and DobrinFan like this.
  2. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

I have a hunch that a handful of those who are arguing that Kim or Kostner were robbed, would be arguing vehemently that Sotnikova was robbed had she not win in Sochi. Some people just argue for the sake of arguing.

3. HVS

HVS Member

What a wishful thinking :rofl:

4. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I wonder how Kim fans would feel if it were Kostner who won gold instead of Sotnikova. Would Carolina be receiving as much venom?

skatemomaz likes this.
  5. fenway2

How so? Sotnikova's win disgusted me but I still think some people argue for the sake of arguing.
    Oh sure, definitely. Remember when the some Kwan fans ™ vilified her after she won bronze at 2005 worlds? :rofl: It took them years to get over it and admit she was a great skater too.:rofl:

skateboy likes this.
  6. HVS

HVS Member

No one care enough to arguing for Sot's sake. If she lost even the podium then it's just so right with the world, she was not the favorite anyway. The Russia ladies team before the Olympic start was known as "Yulia and another" for non-fans.

7. pocoloco

pocoloco New Member

A bit early to start celebrating the 6-month anniversary for Sotnikova's fraudulent, home-cooked OGM, no? You only had to wait 4 more days to be right on time. I wonder if we will we see a 1 year anniversary, a 666 day anniversary, or even a 10 year anniversary thread rehashing the same old arguments over and over just in case nobody knew the riveting details?

We get it, judging was skewed at the Olympics. Let's move ooooooooooooon.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  8. fenway2

Well in recent years, some people have begun clinging to a new trend, a ridiculous theory that Yuka Sato was robbed in Lillehammer. It all started after one person said it and then baaaaaah baaaaah baaaah. It's not like there are Yukabots everywhere but some people will argue a different point just because. So yeah I stand by what I said.

9. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Adelina's family ? :p

kwanette and justiceforfs like this.
  10. Meoima

Meoima Active Member

It's 20 years already for God's sake! I don't even remember Yuka Sato at all. How come there are bots this and bots that? It's the story of the past!

11. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Oh ??? You don't remember Yuka ? Her knees, her glide, her joy. I love her skating !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFKXzbQHfsI

12. Meoima

Meoima Active Member

I mean yes, I know her. It's just 20 years has passed already. So I am surprised that people are still using "bots" to describe people who still appreciate her skating. :scream: I mean, she has become a coach, not a skater long time ago.

13. fenway2

I was being facetious.:wall:

14. hirtmoles31

hirtmoles31 Member

Naw they would just stick so Kim vs Kostner. Whichever didn't win would be robbed, as their skating was about the same anyway.

15. fenway2

Nah. There are a handful of people who thrive on being the discerning voice. I could see it now, as the fans debate Kim vs Kostner, one person trying to be different would say, "Actually, everyone is wrong. I'd have given it to Sotnikova." Then another would agree and soon baaaah baaah baaah Yuka Sato should have won the long program baaah baaah baaaah

Rob likes this.
  16. Meoima

Meoima Active Member

I have to say you have a weird sense of humor. But I get your idea. :biggrinbo
    Nevertheless, Sochi was weird. All of these ladies, except Yuna maybe, had the best LPs of their career, Caro, Mao, Adelina. How long has it been we have the chance to see all the best skates at the same competition, seriously? Not to mention the top 3 ladies all have clean SP and LP. :biggrinbo
    The best LP of the night, I think should belong to Mao, but she also had the worst SP of her career. :blah: What a pity!

17. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

i find it funny actually.. some of these self righteous posters including the forum's admin condemning that fans of "certain skater" but they're doing the same thing on this forum.. and even some start generalizing 1 country.. bunch of hypocrites..

angelflies and judgejudy27 like this.
  18. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Because constantly referring to the Russians as corrupt and scheming and evil and cheaters is NOT generalising one country?

Yuna lost. Her fans couldn't handle that and started hurling abuse and death threats at a 17 year old girl. If you honestly think that behaviour is okay, then it says a lot more about you than anyone else.

once_upon and Maofan7 like this.
  19. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

oh please.. as if you and others are not doing the same thing.. you're trying to behave like saints and love to lecture and call us bots..

like what i said bunch of hypocrites

judgejudy27 likes this.
  20. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

I have never, and would never, send a death threat to a skater just because they beat my favourite. That is entirely unacceptable behaviour no matter whose side of the fence you are on.

21. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

yeah right..i'm sure you never bash anyone in your life.. it doesn't matter if it's a death threat or personal attack.. you've done the same thing.. you're no different from other loonies in the internet..

before you forgot.. trolls in the internet exist.. and their alternicks.. for hell who knows if the one who posted some death threats to adelina is created by 1 person and his/her alternicks.. but apparently it is created by koreans.. and only koreans.. the entire korea..

hypocrites are hypocrites..

judgejudy27 likes this.
  22. HVS

HVS Member

Who are you to judge Sot's haters while people like you just do exactly the same thing when call Yuna emotionless/robot, Yuna's fans are crazy bot/uber or generalize entire Koreans like devil?

You act like a pure saint, so ridiculous. We may bad, but you guys are not better.

23. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I agree but it is figure skating. They even made another freaking Kerrigan-Harding documentary this year, 20 years later. Celebrating the 20th years anniversary of Jurrasic Park, Tonya Harding vs Kerrigan, Tonya Harding skating to Jurrasic Park, Kerrigan vs Baiul, Bonaly's potty girl fit at worlds. So don't expect SotnikovaGate to die down anytime soon either.

HVS likes this.
  24. gotoschool

gotoschool Active Member

My take on the Sochi scoring is that to me not enough focus was placed on the fact that several skaters were not given the scores they deserved and that it appeared to me there was almost an active attempt to "overthrow" the old order, Kim, Kostner and Asada, and to usher in the new, Sotnikova, and Lipnitskaya and Gold (to some extent since she was used as cover in my view ) by any means necessary. On the one hand, of course it is wrong to send death threats to Sotnikova; on the other I don't think anyone should be forced to swallow the bitter pill that is the blatantly rigged scoring at Sochi. So, the idea that we should just get over it is ridiculous because then it will just happen again and again. If the Olympics were held in Russia and the results were corrupt, what am I supposed to do? Shut my mouth for fear that I may be labeled as a politically incorrect Russian basher who is still lost in the cold war world of staunch anti-communism?

I can speak Russian pretty well and love reading about Russian history and listening to Russian composers, so my view has nothing to do with trying to bash Russia; it's just the fact that I believe the best skaters were cheated on international tv in the Olympic Games which is a highly insulting and provocative act.

Scored fairly in the SP and LP, I believe the results should have been: 1. Kim 2. Kostner and 3. Asada with Asada winning the LP with a new world record. In my opinion, the fact that so few are willing to accept this outcome indicates to me how well the ISU pulled the wool over everyone's eyes and got them to half way follow their rigged line in the scoring with the help of biased commentators. I have been ridiculed for my view but I am sticking to it. If you only consider scores through the Grand Prix season before the inflation began at Europeans, only Kim and Asada had ever scored above 200 points in international competition before Sochi and Asada would have scored 206 or higher if she had been given the score she deserved in her LP.

However, I could see if someone thought Kostner should get Gold too. Watching her program again, I have started to like it more.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  25. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Very unlikely. Kostner is very popular with general skating fans, especialy in a forum like this; and the general view of most is Kostner outskated Sotnikova and was much closer to Yu Na than Adelina was. Sotnikova's win being controversial to begin with was made far worse by the underlying circumstances surrounding her:

1. Being Russian, Olympics in Russia, with the reputation Russia has with many skating fans, especialy with the Western media manipulation the last 15 years to paint them in the worst way possible.

2. Not being a popular skater, and not even being nearly as publicized or beloved as her teammate who had already won the hearts of people in the team event.

3. Denying a very popular skater a historic feat, in what was a controversial result to begin with.

4. Due to circumstances (age rules, poor skates at the 2013 worlds, past inconsistency) not having a record that even began to foreshadow her surprise win, making her an easier target for the skeptics.

5. Her style of skating isn't generally what is most peoples cup of tea (not that it makes it worth any less merit wise as far as points and competition go).

6. The judges pushing much too far with her scores and giving her an unreasonable winning margin (even to those who agreed or were fine with her win)

In the end it made for a perfect storm. It turned what was just a win she probably didn't deserve, but wasn't too outrageous, into a full scale hornets nest.

Out of Kim, Kostner, Asada, Lipnitskaya, Gold, Sotnikova winning, the least popular result by a long way was always going to be Sotnikova, sadly even if she had clearly skated the best of anyone. That she probably didn't skate the best of everyone, and was given blatantly over the top scores and a crazy winning margin, just made it all the worse.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  26. eternitygoddess

eternitygoddess Member

^Agree with all of the above.

If Kostner had won, Kim fans would've been disappointed and would've grumbled, but ere wouldn't have been such am uproar. And skating experts, officials, and skaters wouldn't have also waded into the discussion by taking sides and accusing the panel of questionable judging.

conway and ToFarAwayTimes like this.
  27. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

Why would I condemn an entire country and why is suggesting that some of Yuna Kim's fans have overreacted to her not winning gold hypocrisy? :confused:

Maofan7 likes this.
  28. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

@figureExpert You get one thread and if I see you starting any more to rag on Sotnikova, you'll be banned.

overedge and Maofan7 like this.
  29. ToFarAwayTimes

ToFarAwayTimes Active Member

You know, there are billions of people in the world and some of them are crazy. What a shock. But it's extremely disingenuous to keep referring back to some crazy Koreans or Yuna fans trolling Sotnikova, when the fact is that most people protesting Sochi fraud did nothing like that. Anyone trying to turn a minimize the discussion about ISU and IOC fraud into only a reaction against a few marginal crazy fans, is either an idiot or most likely intentionally trying to derail.

These same people are the ones who grasp at anything they can to obfuscate attention away from the fixing of the competition. They go for "7 triples vs. 6 triples" and when that doesn't work because the tech panels are all wrong, Mao had 8 triples, Carolina 7, etc. Then they say Yuna didn't "bring it" and Adelina "had a moment out there" as if she or Anne Line Gjersem could win the gold medal just by looking pretty and skating happy all over the ice. Then when that doesn't fly, they try to end the discussion by constantly bringing up a few marginal crazy fans.

30. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

Article - Kim Yuna official position: "The classification I received was what I deserved."

Article reads:-

Kim has moved on and fully accepts that she was beaten fair and square by Sotnikova. It's time for her obsessive fans to do likewise