Olympic gold medalist(Ladies) in the history of the World Figure Skating Championship winning

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by figureExpert, Aug 15, 2014.

1. figureExpert

figureExpert Banned Member

올림픽 여자선수.png
    The Olympic Ladies single gold medalist now has a total of 21 people. Of which 18 gold medalist has ever won the World Figure Skating Championship more than once. The remaining three gold medalist have never won the World Figur Skating championship. Three gold medalist named Magda Julin,Sarah Hughes,Adelina Sotnikova. figure skating Adopted since 1924 Winter Olympics,Sarah Hughes and Adelina Sotnikova were recorded as a controversial champion. The cause is doubtful referee´s decision

2. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

A new way to dump on Sotnikova. How exciting. :duh:

3. alj5

alj5 Well-Known Member

and Sarah Hughes!

4. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

And Magda Julin ? :p

kwanette likes this.
  5. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

This obsession of yours is misguided and misdirected. Adelina Sotnikova did not input her TES, PCS, GOE, and element levels, did not implement anonymous judging to the ISU, and did not award herself the Olympic gold medal. Please leave this young lady (and all skaters for that matter) alone!

Lather. rinse. repeat.

BTW, this thread totes belongs in the trash can in the very bottom with all the other rubbish.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    overedge, LynnW, coppertop1 and 4 others like this.
  6. misskarne

misskarne #408

Yawn, another butthurt Yunabot.

7. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

How is it someone fault they can't win worlds if their frederation doesn't send them?

8. hirtmoles31

hirtmoles31 Active Member

Yeah like only Yu Na bots thinks Frauditkova is a joke, LOL! I was never a Yu Na fan, and neither like or dislike her, but I still think Fraudnitkova in Sochi is the biggest joke in the history of figure skating (and given its history that says something). All the Russian scores in Sochi for that matter were a farce- Trankov's (even though they deserved the gold), Lipnitskaya's, Plushenkoss in the team event, Katsalapov's (even though they might have deserved the bronze), Bobrova's. Not one of them was given reasonable scores.

9. hirtmoles31

As if she was ever winning worlds. Worlds weren't in Russia you have forgotten.

10. hirtmoles31

Thanks for the breakdown. It is interesting to see. So I guess we can safely conclude the poorest Olympic gold medalist is Sotnikova, second poorest is Hughes, and third poorest is Julin? Although I am tempted to pick Hughes as the poorest as while she was higher ranked and more successful than Sotnitkova she also skated in a much poorer era, and Sotnikova is a better skater IMO. Then again Hughes actually deserved her Olympic gold, which is so far from true for Sotnikova, although Sotnikova's 2014 performances would have easily won in 2002 (even in the U.S, just as if the 2014 Games were in the U.S or anywhere but Russia she would have been 15+ points from a gold in 2014). So tough choice all considered between them. Since I believe skaters should only be evaluated by how good they were in their own era, Sotnikova is still poorest.

11. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Frauditkova? Just goes to show how much you hate her, and it seems Russian skaters in general.

DobrinFan likes this.
  12. hirtmoles31

I don't hate all Russian skaters but I do hate the Russian politics and overscoring that has plagued the sport since the mid 60s now. And I you are blind to it and that it has been going on that long, then you are a biased Russian lover. Sochi ladies was the worst of the worst, but there have been many other times behind that which were still extremely bad too. So many of the problems with skating popularity and perception today, Russia is to blame for. How many ex ISU members, federation members, and ex judges, and longtime skating journalists have written books detailing horror stories of Russians giving millions in bribe money, offering caviar, intimidating, discussing deals. Many of those books beginning in the 90s. Are they all lieing.

coldblades likes this.
  13. HVS

HVS Active Member

Sot was at Worlds right before Sochi, took a gold, podium finish or something like that? Ah I remember, 9th place :rollin:

14. Vash01

Shizuka Arakawa placed 9th at the 2005 worlds. She won the OGM in 2006.

Rob and julieann like this.
  15. HVS

HVS Active Member

So were there any debate about how she won? I remember no, so what's your point?

16. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I'm talking about worlds right after Sochi, not before. TWELVE MONTHS after her 9th place.

Vash01 likes this.
  17. Vash01

I was responding to your post that made a reference to Sotnikova's 9th place finish at the 2013 worlds. How quickly you forgot that Arakawa had a similar record. That was my point. There was not debate about her win because - 1) her challengers fell on jumps, 2)she is not Russian, and not skating in Russia. I believe some of the hatred is coming from 2). I suspect you had no problem with Hughes winning OGM in Salt Lake City, with her underrotated jumps.

My real point is that you are on the 'bash Sotnikova' bandwagon.

18. HVS

HVS Active Member

So do you have any problem with Hughes winning?

About Arakawa, her previous Worlds result didn't matter because her Olympic result just erased that, she won fair and square that night. But Sot, totally different. Her winning did not convince most of people, so we have every right to complain about that, and bring up all her results so far to compare is reasonable.

And this is Olympic you know, the event to discuss in several years, so don't get tired so soon.

Not like someone who act as saint, always denied their hateful feeling, yeah I accept it, I don't like/hate Sot, but funny is I quite like her skating.

justiceforfs likes this.
  19. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

Thank you for saying this. Seriously, disagreeing with the judging is fine. Ragging and hating on skaters is not, they don't make the decision. I feel for Sotnikova, didn't do anything wrong other than skate the best she had and it seems like the press went out to villify her for a Russian winning in Russia. This is why she won't stick it out, she'll have to deal with the cross eyed looks and mutterings for the rest of her career. She shouldn't be hated for something she did not decide. When will people learn to point their disapproval where it belongs: the judges. You have the right to complain and disagree, but not to villify her. I don't agree with the win, but I don't blame or hate Adelina.

Vash01 likes this.
  20. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

For real.

21. ToFarAwayTimes

ToFarAwayTimes Active Member

I ;
    You must have conveniently forgot the part where Shizuka won the 2004 World Championship.

justiceforfs likes this.
  22. ToFarAwayTimes

ToFarAwayTimes Active Member

I disagree with hating on Adelina too. As someone said, all she did was skate her best. It's too bad what happened, for her ... what are those tales with the evil genie in the bottle? Or 3 wishes from the devil? You get your wish granted, but in the worst possible way ...

23. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Exactly. Unfortunately, we can't nuke the Yunabots with tons of neg rep any more :EVILLE:

24. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

yeah..apparently you can smell the yunabots already.. how exciting..

25. StitchMonkey

StitchMonkey Member

Good point. Seems we should add Dorthy Hamill, Sjoukje Dijkstra, Carol Heiss, Tenley Albright, and Jeanette Altwegg to the list with Adelina. We don't know what the future will hold for her, it is hardly fair to count what others did after they win as evidence against her. Other one the OGM without the world title or even a medal according to the chart.

Looking at past Olympic, Adelina's win is not that surprising to me. It seems the judges at the Olympics prefer the skate of your life give it your all performances over cool and collected calm performances. It also seems to me that they are hesitant to award two gold medals and frankly am starting to wonder if they don't really want people to repeat as gold medalists.

26. Vash01

I agree. Somehow in the Olympics the judges seem to prefer a skater who skates freeer, has the skate of her life, to a reigning or past champion who may not be that free, due to the weight of expectations on her. The last such OGM winner was Katarina Witt and she won mainly by skating clean while her main rival put unnecessary pressure on herself.

I don't know if the judges are intentionally avoiding back to back OGMs, but for the bacck2back OGMs to happen we may need something like what happened in 1988. The competition seems to be really tough these days- talking of both 2010 (no defending OGM winner there) and 2014 (Yu na with a real good chance of repeating). It is rare to see someone without a world medal win an OGM, but there is always a first time.

27. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

What I think is really sad about the whole thing, aside from the despicable way some fans of a certain skater who was very gracious in defeat have rounded on a teenage girl, is how amazingly well-skated the ladies event was in Sochi, particularly the free. One of the best nights of skating I've seen at an Olympics!

genevieve, skatemomaz, Kasey and 9 others like this.
  28. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

why not just directly called them out.. the "yunabots".. and condemn the entire country.. the hypocrisy.. *rolls eyes*

29. HVS

HVS Active Member

Calm down sweetie, it's just his/her opinion, just like I and many people out there found how stupid, annoying, ignorant, immature behaviour from a certain skater

30. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

I roll into here just to read the comments. :biggrinbo
    Seriously even though I highly doubt Adelina's consistency, I am very looking forward to her new skate at international level. Just want to see if she can make it through. Big trial for her :saint: If she can deliver like she did at Sochi again, then big standing ovation from me. :2faced:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    judgejudy27 likes this.