Olympic Cities - Legacies, Deficits...Do The Olympics Help Or Hurt Cities Which Host

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by PeterG, Feb 10, 2013.

1. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

The Sochi Olympics will test gay rights thread has been hijacked. So I'm starting this thread so that the Sochi Olympics will test gay rights thread gets back on topic. Points brought up in that thread which pertain to this thread:

2. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

And some more:

3. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

And a bit more:

4. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

5. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Are you testing me to see how long it would take for me to make all of those green blobs after your name into some red blobs??? :EVILLE:

:p

6. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

All's I know is this: Without the Olympics in Vancouver, I doubt 2006 Skate Canada would've been in Victoria, 2008 Canadians would've been in Vancouver, 2008 Skate America would've been in Everett, 2009 4CC would've been in Vancouver, and, of course, 2010 Olys would've been in Vancouver.

Had I still gone to each of those events regardless of location (one of them would've been in Ontario *somewhere*), I would've spent a lot more money in transportation, hotels, food, etc. So, even if I have to pay more taxes due to paying down our province's debt, I'm pretty sure I still come out ahead.

Of course, I may not have gone to all of those events, but that is *way* beside the point...

7. misskarne

misskarne #408

I think the future use of facilities is an important factor. Sydney's facilities are still in regular use today. But Athens' are falling apart, and most of Beijing's have stood empty since the Games finished. I think I saw a report where the weightlifting facility had been used all of once since the Games. What a waste.

8. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the city, to be honest. Look at recent hosts. Athens olympic legacy is a mess. Venues are in shambles, money was lost and it costs a ridiculous amount of money to pay for venues that can't even be used. One of the most ridiculous things that Athens did was build permanent, multi-million dollar baseball and softball stadiums when those sports aren't even played there. Then Beijing goes and builds a permanent multi-million dollar outdoor volleyball stadium.

I think SLC and Vancouver played it smart. They didn't go crazy with spending. They both used existing venues and the venues they did build aren't white elephants. SLC's speed skating venues and ther skiing venues have become important training centers for not only Team USA, but for athletes around the world as well.

I am still :eek: that Soci's olympics are costing more than the past two summer games.

9. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

But it depends how you define Olympic-related spending. For the Vancouver Games there were a number of major infrastructure projects (e.g. the Canada Line rapid transit and the improvement of the Sea-to-Sky Highway going to Whistler) that the IOC required, or strongly suggested, for Vancouver to get the games, but which were billed to the province of British Columbia and not to the Games. The City of Vancouver also took a big financial hit in covering the cost overruns for the Athletes' Village.

10. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

For Calgary it was unquestionably a benefit. From what I have read, the Olympics here made a slight profit. They also left a major legacy in the long-track speedskating facility. This made Calgary into one of the world centers for speedskating, and very likely also contributed to the development of Canada as a strong long-track speedskating competitor.

One benefit unrelated to sports is that from what I recall it speeded up the development of the C-train (light rapid transit) system. Probably if that cost was added to the equation the Olympics may not have made a profit, but the end result was a kickstart to the overall light rapid transit. I think that kickstart was part of the reason that it became a core part of Calgary city planning. Once people saw how well it worked, it created a groundswell of support for continued expansion of the system.

Since tens of thousands of Calgarians use the C-train every weekday, that was a huge long-term benefit for the city as a whole. (I am one of those people).